Start by marking “A History of France from the Earliest Times to the Treaty of Versailles” as Want to Read:
A History of France from the Earliest Times to the Treaty of Versailles

A History of France from the Earliest Times to the Treaty of Versailles

France thus lies most decidedly in the cross-roads of world events. It is better to study her annals than those of any other one country in Europe, if the reader would get a general view of universal history. France has been a participant in, or interested spectator of, nearly every great war or diplomatic contest for over a thousand years; and a very great proportion of ...more
Published October 16th 2012 by Lecturable (first published September 4th 2009)

Be the first to ask a question about A History of France from the Earliest Times to the Treaty of Versailles

Subowal
Aug 12, 2013 Subowal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book seems to have begun as an introduction to French history for Americans participating in the first world war. By the time of its publication in 1919, however, the war was over. The author does a good job of presenting the essentials of French history to a reader like me, who has a fragmented idea of some major events in French history, but needs to connect the dots. Important events like the Hundred Years' War, the revolution of 1789, the defeat of 1871, and personalities like Phillipe ...more
Bonnie Jean
This book gave me what I needed it to: a relatively concise overview of French history. However, I found the author's frequent interjections of his own opinions to be distracting "King such and such would have accomplished this if given an opportunity". I suppose I feel that if you are relaying history, you should just stick to the facts.
Fabio Caiut
The interesting about this book is to read the opinion and the point of view from the perspective of someone in 1919, before the consequences of policy adopted by the Treaty of Versailles, before Hitler and the WW2.
Steve Gordon
A decent, concise narrative of French history whose most significant weakness is that it is written by a most opinionated reactionary.
Jack Hrkach
Mar 17, 2015 Jack Hrkach rated it liked it
Shelves: history
Before this history of France I read avery brief history that I found frivolous. Davis's history is also relatively short (260-some pages), but each page was packed with information. My knowledge of French history comes from years of studying French theatre for my history class at Ithaca College, from a seminar I taught only twice on the European Avant-Garde (approx 1890-1940), and from a seminar I taught at least 6 times on Performing Arts and the French Revolution. In other words, an ...more
Rindis
Mar 03, 2014 Rindis rated it liked it
Shelves: history, kindle
This is another Lecturable book for Kindle that I had bought (for $2) before actually starting A History of the Babylonians and Assyrians , and finding out how abysmal the editing was on that volume. Thankfully, it is much better here. There's still lots of OCR-derived problems, but not nearly as frequently. If most of their books are of this quality, I'd say they're generally worth what I paid for this one, though no more.

This was intended as a guide to French history for American servicemen g
David Bennatan
To date, all the reviewers of this book on the site agree that it is a good history book that declines in value as the author approaches and then briefly discusses the First World War. I fully concur.

I wanted to learn about French history. It had been many years since I last read a book on the subject as I have been concentrating on English and U.S. history. This book proved to be very useful. Perhaps even the biased portions of the book, in particular his defense of the Versailles Treaty, shed
lavinia
Jun 11, 2015 lavinia rated it liked it
Shelves: history
This was actually a very very good history book. I'm a bit bummed that I was in a bit of a rush reading it, mostly because I didn't want to finish it too long after I left France, so I'm convinced that I didn't get the most of all the information and I surely started forgetting a lot anyway :)

It's a very good book for those like myself who knew about isolated major events in France but never really paid attention to the whole picture or how the country evolved. I would say that it's more than an
Lavinia Petrache
Nov 24, 2015 Lavinia Petrache rated it liked it

John Latham
Aug 13, 2013 John Latham rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fantastic book written for American soldiers going to fight in WWII. It covered the time of Caesar and the Gauls through Charlemagne, through Cardinal Richileu, through the King Louis, through the revolution, through Napoleon, through Louis XVIII, Napoleon III, and finally the end of WWW from the French perspective.

It was exhausting, but totally worth getting to know France's rich history.
Habib Malik
Dec 27, 2013 Habib Malik rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
Starts out well, I gained much information regarding the history of France from this book. However, after it gets to the modern era part, the book started to be filled with heavily biased opinion -- rather than important facts. It's okay to write a book with several opinion -- but there's too much of it in the last third of the book.
Caroline Mathews
Feb 13, 2015 Caroline Mathews rated it liked it
Re-written for American soldiers stationed in France during WWll in lecturable format. I need a newer, more dynamic version so that I can LIVE THAT HISTORY. Otherwise, useful and informative, Although Davis didn't leave me "done" with France.
Dave Remy
Dave Remy rated it it was ok
Jun 28, 2014
Charles Ferreira
Charles Ferreira rated it really liked it
Mar 09, 2014
Tom Gough
Tom Gough rated it liked it
Oct 16, 2013
Patricia G. Beavers
Patricia G. Beavers rated it really liked it
Oct 26, 2014
Gian
Gian rated it really liked it
Nov 09, 2013
Nora
Nora rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2014
James Conway
James Conway rated it really liked it
May 01, 2015
Michael Randall
Michael Randall rated it it was amazing
Feb 25, 2016
Aaron Jackson
Aaron Jackson rated it really liked it
Nov 01, 2014
Nick McDowell
Nick McDowell rated it it was amazing
Sep 03, 2016
Irmgard Wiesner
Irmgard Wiesner rated it liked it
Oct 05, 2014
Bob.lieberman
Bob.lieberman rated it it was ok
Nov 21, 2016
Dianne Peters
Dianne Peters rated it liked it
Jul 20, 2015
Bonnie
Bonnie rated it liked it
Oct 09, 2014
Clay Simpson
Clay Simpson rated it it was amazing
Nov 13, 2014
Laura Betty Mora
Laura Betty Mora rated it really liked it
Apr 29, 2016
Reuben Fisher
Reuben Fisher rated it liked it
May 22, 2016