Start by marking “God is No Laughing Matter” as Want to Read:
God is No Laughing Matter

God is No Laughing Matter

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  169 ratings  ·  20 reviews
In God Is No Laughing Matter, bestselling author Julia Cameron takes a witty, powerfully honest, and irreverent look at the culture of "spirituality" today and offers insight to enable readers to determine their personal spiritual path. The important thing to remember, she says, is that God is both more humorous and more humane than we've been taught.

With her trademark "s
Published October 1st 2001 by Tarcher (first published September 11th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about God is No Laughing Matter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about God is No Laughing Matter

♥ Ibrahim ♥
Experiencing God can be like a blind date; we have to suit up and show up. God is there to encounter us in ways we don't expect. We may be looking too deep but lo and behold God is there in the simplest of things, events or people. His ways are infinite. We are to be connected. God's eye is on the sparrow but we are too distracted to notice the wren. We want to experience God, to be spiritually aware of his presence, that is, to have conscious contact with Him and we experience a sense of wonder ...more
Rose
Faith-wise, I'm a bit of a hybrid. I was raised Catholic, but had enough curiousity about spiritual matters to read about other religions and their associated beliefs. I've gone to Mass on Sundays, witnessed Advent Christian services, spent weekends at Hare Krsna temples, and discussed the Kabbalah with Jewish friends. My conclusion is that we're all going to the same place in the end, and God is too big for one religion anyway. So live your life as benevolently as you can, and leave the technic ...more
Dan Chance
I read this at a time when I needed "something". It wasn't always satisfying and even when she wrote something good I wasn't ready. Where was my heart when she wrote: "Maybe we should try treating God more like a suitor and less like an intellectual construct. Maybe we should take the easy-does-it approach and try going for a walk together.... Maybe we should stop trying to'figure out the God idea' and instead just hang out a little."

Her ideas of God are a bit "new worldish" for me though so my
Clarice
I really like the way this is written, in short little chapters with exercises at the end of each chapter to help you work through the idea she presents. I think this quote from the book sums it up well, "Maybe we should stop trying to “figure out the God idea” and instead just hang out a little." She advocates not taking ourselves and God so seriously. Talk to God as if he were a friend. Sometimes we need to just say, “Let’s go for a drive, God”. I like her grounded approach to spirituality.
Andrea
Julia Cameron is one of my role models! She inspires me with her life and her work. This book has me contemplating how I see God and how I see the universe I live in and in turn how that creates the life that I have.

A good example of the author giving the reader something to think about is: "The idea that if things are not going precisely as we would choose we are doing something wrong is one that most of come to all too easily." p.251.

One of my favourite passages in this book sums up all t
Jackie
"Let God work on you instead of you working on God" (25).

"a spiritual companion, someone who helped me to find my own spiritual path and stay on it" (60).

Higher companions are "believing mirrors." They reflect back to us an image of our highest potential (61).

"Cherishing is an act of willful rebellion against the frenzied tempo of the times. (211).

"Our restlessness, irritability, and depression may be telling us to stop accepting the unacceptable and see what else is out there. Sometimes compari
Judy
Quirky light spirituality from a friend of Bill's.
Lia
This books is what I would call very enjoyable recreational spiritual reading. At first, I found the book to be unfocused and rambling. But, then I started to realize how much I was gaining from not having to "apply" myself to the reading. This was a wonderful read--I savored it. And then--I ordered it. Yep. I'm adding this one to my personal library.
Hella
"Oneerbiedige" beschouwingen over God, om via schrijven en zelfinzicht tot een eerlijker en persoonlijker geloof te komen. Ook heel fijn als je godsdienstige afkomst je hindert bij het schrijven.
Rebecca
Really enjoyed this. It could be read on a chapter-a-week basis, with a little assignment at the end of each chapter to experiment with connecting to the world and to the divine in fun and creative ways. This was my first exposure to Julia Cameron, and after reading it I immediately put several of her books on hold at the library.
Kim
The title pokes fun at the seriousness (and lack of joy and humor) that people sometimes adopt in the name of God and spirituality. I believe God loves it all. This book was direct and I found it quite enjoyable. In this book, my own thoughts are very succinctly put into words I could not express before.
Lynn Wilson
I really enjoyed this easy read. Cameron is very clever, iconoclastic, irreverent, and fun-loving in her balanced approach to spirituality. She's been there, done that and it shows. This is a great read for anyone who is trying to find the "right" way. She'll support you in finding your own best way.
Zachary Robinson
I'll admit, this book was rather humorous. And while I may not fully agree with some of the things said, I have to admit, there is a lot this fine woman brings to the table. It's something for Catholic, or even other Christians to think about. Some things may shock you, but in a good way.
Satia
Julia Cameron wrote one great book and so far all of her other books I've read have been mediocre. Should I stop now or keep hoping she'll at least come close to matching her previous success? For more:

Pamela
I keep reading this, and other books by Julia Cameron, over and over again, when I can use a reevaluation of basic beliefs. If Cameron writes it, I'll read it, even study it, and keep it in my permanent library, among other spiritual writers.
Karen
Dec 18, 2013 Karen marked it as to-read
"By savoring the delights of this earth, we connect to the divinity that flows through it and through us. Sight leads to insight. Hearing leads to being here. Touching puts us in touch. Scent bring us to our senses." (p. 9)
Ruth
I couldn't finish this book. Cameron has a rather narrow minded view of spiritually. The questions at the end of each chapter were thought provoking at times but weren't enough to keep me reading.
Victoria
Got it from the library; started skimming it; couldn't stand it. Clearly written in one of Cameron's bleak periods, this book did nothing for me except set my teeth on edge.
Sonja
A down to earth view of spiritually for the most part.
Lisa
eh, it was alright
Seán O'Hara
Seán O'Hara marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2015
Harold
Harold marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2015
Yvette Bationo
Yvette Bationo marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Erinlouise Perry
Erinlouise Perry marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Isabelle
Isabelle marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
  • Book of My Mother
  • Writing Begins with the Breath: Embodying Your Authentic Voice
  • Seeking Enlightenment... Hat by Hat: A Skeptic's Guide to Religion
  • Developing Intuition: Practical Guidance for Daily Life
  • The Reluctant Entertainer: Every Woman's Guide to Simple and Gracious Hospitality
  • Seven Times the Sun: Guiding Your Child Through the Rhythms of the Day
  • Writing as a Way of Healing: How Telling Our Stories Transforms Our Lives
  • The Creative Entrepreneur: A DIY Visual Guidebook for Making Business Ideas Real
Julia Cameron has been an active artist for more than thirty years, with fifteen books (including bestsellers The Artist's Way, Walking In This World and The Right to Write) and countless television, film, and theater scripts to her credit. Writing since the age of 18, Cameron has a long list of screenplay and teleplay credits to her name, including an episode of Miami Vice, and Elvis and the Beau ...more
More about Julia Cameron...
The Artist's Way: A Spiritual Path to Higher Creativity The Right to Write: An Invitation and Initiation into the Writing Life The Vein of Gold The Complete Artist's Way : Creativity as a Spiritual Practice Walking in this World

“You do not need to work to become spiritual. You are spiritual; you need only to remember that fact. Spirit is within you. God is within you. (67)” 59 likes
“We need to bridge our sense of loneliness and disconnection with a sense of community and continuity even if we must manufacture it from our time on the Web and our use of calling cards to connect long distance. We must “log on” somewhere, and if it is only in cyberspace, that is still far better than nowhere at all. (264)” 31 likes