Start by marking “Out of the Ashes (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #13)” as Want to Read:
Out of the Ashes (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #13)

Out of the Ashes (Tom Clancy's Op-Center #13)

3.78  ·  Rating Details  ·  495 Ratings  ·  57 Reviews
Tom Clancy's Op-Center is back with this new thriller written by the New York Times bestselling authors of Tom Clancy's ACT OF VALOR and featuring a chilling, ripped-from-the-headlines scenario.

Before 9/11 America was protected by a covert force known as the National Crisis Management Center. Commonly known as Op-Center, this silent, secret mantel guarded the American peop
Published May 20th 2014 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about Out of the Ashes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Out of the Ashes

Shane Amazon
It is clear from the very get-go that this book is simply a rehash of what had once made Tom Clancy the best military writer ever. Back in the day there was once a book called Sum of All Fears. It was a simple story of a man bent on setting Russia and the US against each other in a nuclear conflict. There were key parts of that book, and movie, that I will list here. There is a scene in the movie (Sum of All Fears) that showed the President and his staff in a nuclear war drill, a scene where an ...more
Kevin Long
Very weak writing. I read half and returned it. Dialog is about as wooden as it gets.
Tom Donaghey
TOM CLANCY’S OP CENTER: OUT OF THE ASHES, written by Dick Couch and George Galdorisi is too long a title and too long a book. There could have been 100 to 200 pages edited away from this manuscript and the story would not have been harmed. The seemingly endless discussions about reopening Op Center appear to drag the narrative like an anchor to a boat.
I also felt the rush to war against Syria was not to be believed. I realize this is but a reflection of the Bush White Hose but even then there
Lindsey Silvestrini
I just finished The Kraken Project read by Scott Sowers so I was happy to see his familiar name on the newest Tom Clancy Op-Center: Out of the Ashes.

We begin with the horrible beating of a couple from the Middle East leaving the wife in a coma and the husband in a rage. Clancy makes you feel compassion and sympathy for this couple and what they go through simply because of their race. But then what happens next will leave you feeling sick and enraged.

Instead of seeking revenge on just the men re
Maureen
Aug 15, 2014 Maureen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Jim
Apr 09, 2015 Jim rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
First, the audiobook performance was solid. Vocal impressions for various characters maintained consistently. Pace of speech good and steady. (Tiny quibbles like "seconded"--in a secondment--stressed on the first syllable, like seconding a motion.)
But the writing: oy! Wooden dialogue, loads of exposition (characters explaining to the audience things they would already know and assume and would not speak aloud in real life.) Some events glossed over in a rush, other sub-plot details dragged out a
G.H. Eckel
The book starts out fast with moronic Americans upset from their football team losing, who savagely beat up some middle easterners. But they were the wrong ones to beat up because they have connections. Then, with little transition, the destructive events set in motion appear. Then the book slows to a snail's pace. Most of the middle chapter are about administering the new Ops Center, e.g., chapters about who to lead it, how it's going to operate.... all of this with very little action. There's ...more
Jean Poulos
The original “Op-Center” by Tom Clancy and Steve Pieczenik ended in 2005. Tom Clancy died in 2013. I see that the “Op-Center” has been brought back to life by authors Dick Couch and George Galdorisi, but still under the Tom Clancy copyright. In this story a new President Wyatt Midkiff decided to reactivate Op-Center after a devastating attack to NFL stadiums while games were in progress. Chase Williams, a four star Navy Admiral is appointed to head the new center. After the center is up and runn ...more
Wayland Smith
Several years ago, Tom Clancy had a few series running besides his big novels. One of them was Op-Center, about an organization that bridged the line between intelligence and military. I wasn't sure why he stopped them, but I enjoyed them as fun light reads.

Op-Center is back, with a new cast. A few of the old guard are mentioned, and they do a decent job of explaining why they aren't part of the new team. I thought it was nicely handled that the real world and in-series gaps of time were roughly
Brandon
The first book in the second incarnation of the Op-Center series is something I had to buy the moment I saw it. I loved the original series and had missed it since I finally read the last installment several years ago.

The good is that Op-Center, or a new version of it, is back. Other than several pages of Paul Hood and a cameo by Mike Rodgers, the old Op-Center is out of the picture. And the plot is plausible if a little bit thin.

If only the dialogue and the writing matched up to the old books,
Marshall Layne
Not a bad read but the entire book plays out like a scenario in the war room at the Pentagon. Yes, I know all of Clancy's books feel like that, but this one is worse than those where he was given sole author credit. The dialogue is perfunctory and you can hear the editors's comments over the scenes (well, what if we put a female helicopter pilot in there? Can the hacker kid be less dorky and more Andrew Garfield?). In the end, the book would have been more exciting if the characters had been giv ...more
Heath Henwood
Tom Clancy’s Op-Center: Out of the Ashes
By Dick Couch, George Galdorisi, Steve Piecznik
While I have loved the Tom Clancy books, particularly his early works. This book however carries his name, but was not written by him, in fact published well after Clancy’s death.
The story follows an attack on four football stadiums in America which causes the president to reinstate the Op-Centre to hunt down terrorist. The book rapidly introduces new characters and floats around a predictable plot.
There are a
Vaughan
Jun 08, 2014 Vaughan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Dialogue is written for outsiders, not how people actually talk. The action was mild, and the plot took turns in the last 1/3 weren't compelling and kind of defeated the whole purpose of an Op Center...
Charles
Jun 29, 2014 Charles rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I hope the author kept his day job
Chris  Carroll
Even though this book is written by 2 different authors, it was created by Tom Clancy and Steve Pieczenik and it reads much like a traditional Clancy novel we are used to picking up. Op-Center is the newest series in this military action, suspense filled story where the authors pull the story from the headlines and create a decent read.

One of the things I noticed is that while Clancy had innate ability to tell and craft interesting in depth characters, the characters that the authors created in
Cindy
Exciting and relevant military-political thriller. No sex or gore. 1 'd-word,' (I may have missed some). Later Clancy novels, especially those with a co-writer, have far fewer of the 3 graphics (language, sex, & gore). Read engagingly by Scott Sauers.Created by Tom Clancy & Steve Pachenic. Written by Dick Couch & George Galdorisi. Recommended.
Anne
Dec 07, 2014 Anne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, library
I read the entire series in the past and enjoyed it quite a bit. It stopped in 2005. Now this new book came out 9 years later.

It has all new characters pretty much. We only see a glimpse of a main character but otherwise we don't get any info about the people from the rest of the series.

There are lots of details and people and I don't really care about any of them. I ended up skimming at the end, last few chapters as it just wasn't all that exciting.
Belinda Brooks-davis
Good finish

Good finish

Beginning to almost midway this one was so dry and stilted, I almost put it down several times. I'm so glad that I stuck it out though. The last half of the book brought it to a jaw clenching edge of my seat finish that left me conceding for more.
Nadia Molina
I understand this books need for all the military jargon and abbreviations it used. But I think it was too much. The book was good but was overtaken by all these terms that seemed to distract from the story line. It was hard to keep up at times if you're not familiar with military terms. And in my opinion the best part of the book was over way too early.
Ravi Rao
The authors lost me somewhere in the middle when they suddenly changed the plot. There were lots of pages which had nothing but musings and I had to just fly through them. I don't think I will come back to the books written by these authors again.i am just giving 3 stars for the fact that there was action in the story. Too Many disjointed, half completed side plots.
Stephen Lippman
On the one hand, the pacing of this book was excellent. On the other hand, the plot was predictable and preposterous and the dialogue was terribly clunky. So, I enjoyed this book as a quick bubble-gum read while wincing throughout at the book's many flaws.
Rhod
Apr 28, 2015 Rhod rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Picked up what I thought was a Tom Clancy book, started to reddit and the plot was so contrived - I couldn't read further than a chapter or two after giving it a chance. If I want to read Clancy, I will have to read an earlier Clancy novel.
Bill Donhiser
Another typical Clancy franchise book. No it is not as good as what Clancy wrote himself. It is still a good action adventure techno thriller. Perfect for killing a long plane ride or as good entertaining beach read. I enjoyed it.
Erik Zakoske
Pretty standard fare for the series, but the dialogue was awful...The conversations just didn't flow naturally. Hopefully the writers practice a bit more before the inevitable next book in the series comes out.
Ashley McCabe
Jun 11, 2015 Ashley McCabe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent read

Very interesting plot that is both educating and alarming. I'm glad it was set in the future I won't be a part of. It shows how corrupt the world is and how scary.
Kevin Martin
The twists and turns, the amazing background detail, the panache that hooked me on Clancy's tales has, I'm afraid, come to an end. This book was dull and predictable. Such a shame.
Terry
Feb 13, 2016 Terry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was OK, or TBWOK. It held my interest,
but not really my cup of tea. (MCoT) The dialogue
was really awful. Something very childish about it.
Probably the last time I read this type of book.
Tom Kettle
Jul 16, 2015 Tom Kettle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this book during down times while on vacation - it kept my interest (American actually doing something!) and had me buying the next book in the "new" series when I got home.
Chrissy Strawn
Great book!!

Very action packed with a fairly believable story. The characters are well thought out and it is within our current political realities.
John
Jan 17, 2015 John rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Book #13 of the Tom Clancy created Op-Center series is the first book published since 2005. Allowing for the introduction of an almost entire group of characters, the book gets off to a somewhat sluggish start. The book's story line is both topical and interesting, but a bit predictable. I rate 2.5 Stars.
  • War of Eagles (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #12)
  • Choke Point (Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon, #3)
  • Under Fire (Jack Ryan Universe, #19)
  • Support and Defend (Jack Ryan Universe, #17)
  • Carrier: A Guided Tour of an Aircraft Carrier (Guided Tour)
  • The Hunted (Tom Clancy's EndWar, #2)
  • Changing of the Guard (Tom Clancy's Net Force, #8)
  • Wild Card (Tom Clancy's Power Plays, #8)
  • Force of Eagles (Jack Locke, #2)
  • One Hundred Victories: Special Ops and the Future of American Warfare
  • Zero Six Bravo: The Explosive True Story of How 60 Special Forces Survived Against an Iraqi Army of 100,000
Mr. Couch graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy in 1967. He graduated from BUD/S training in Class 45 in 1969. He was a case officer for the CIA.
More about Dick Couch...

Tom Clancy's Op-Center (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Op-Center (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #1)
  • Mirror Image (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #2)
  • Games of State (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #3)
  • Acts of War (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #4)
  • Balance of Power (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #5)
  • State of Siege (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #6)
  • Divide and Conquer (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #7)
  • Line of Control (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #8)
  • Mission of Honor (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #9)
  • Sea of Fire (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #10)

“To be a leader, you must first be a team player, and you must care for the men you lead.” 1 likes