Start by marking “The Biker (A Matt Stark Novel)” as Want to Read:
The Biker (A Matt Stark Novel)

The Biker (A Matt Stark Novel)

San Francisco is a small city with big problems. When Matt Stark witnesses his father's murder, he decides to rid the city of one of its problems - the man with the scars. Matt is dangerous with his fists. He is good on a motorcycle. Vengeance is new to him, but he is a quick study. With the help of his childhood friend, Striker, and the beautiful and mysterious Maria, ...more
Published February 6th 2012 by Lockjaw Publishing (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Biker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Biker

KD Rush
May 20, 2012 KD Rush rated it it was amazing
Title: The Biker
Author: JD Mader
Publisher: Lockjaw Publishing
Format: Kindle Edition
Interest: Action/Drama
Rating 0-100: 98 (5 Stars)

I first came across JD Mader from a guest post he made on the Indies Unlimited site. He has since become a contributing author on their staff, and also writes for some other blogs. His weekly articles are written with an honesty that is rare. I was a fan of JD Mader long before purchasing either of his books. With that disclaimer out of the way, here’s what I thought
Jen Smith
Apr 15, 2012 Jen Smith rated it it was amazing
The Biker by JD Mader Book Review

The Biker is a classic good guy versus bad guy tale that I sum up as a pleasurable page turner. I’m not going to tell you anything else about the story because I truly think it would ruin it. JD Mader masterfully develops the plot slowly and smoothly leaving you wanting for more information. The story unfolds in San Francisco and I felt like I was there. It helps a bunch that I lived there some time ago so I was personally familiar with the locations described. B
Brian
Jul 29, 2012 Brian rated it it was amazing
Wow. Oh, this needs to be at least 20 words. Okay, here goes.

The Biker follows Matt Stark as he seeks revenge on the man who he witnessed murder his father. He has spent years not understanding just why his father was murdered. He's about to find answers that he never saw coming.

JD Mader, has further proven with his second novel that he is a master of characterization. Mader's characters are flawed, real. There is no black and white. There are no cookie cutter stereotypes. By the end of the boo
Yvonne Hertzberger
May 21, 2014 Yvonne Hertzberger rated it it was amazing
Raw, dark fiction with emotionally tormented characters is not my fare of choice. Yet, after reading Joe Café, I knew I had to read The Biker as well. Why? Because Mader is a genius with dialogue, tension, mood and, most important to me, character building. I know of no other writer today who can give every single actor in his books such depth, and such complexity. He turns writing into art of the highest caliber.

The Biker grabbed me from the first sentence. The empathy and insight Mader has fo
Ed Drury
Jul 24, 2012 Ed Drury rated it it was amazing
The story has elements of a classic western, yet it definitely is contemporary urban. It's a great companion for summer vacation down time reading. The language is also contemporary urban. It is the language of the streets, the working class - consistent with the characters backgrounds. The books takes you to those streets of San Francisco much as the Dirty Harry movies, Bullet, or the TV show called "The Streets of San Francisco." It has elements of the classic paperback novels of the sixties ...more
Nicole Storey
Oct 08, 2012 Nicole Storey rated it really liked it
This is the second book I've read and reviewed by author JD Mader. I am happy to conclude he did not disappoint (I really didn't expect anything else)! I love how Mader's characters are so real and life-like. They are regular people who end up in circumstances that could really happen. The language is raw and unpolished. The scenery described makes me feel like I'm watching a movie. Mader loves his San Francisco and it shows in the lovingly way he portrays the city in the book.

The only part I ha
Jean
Nov 04, 2012 Jean rated it it was amazing
This book is very good, it's amazing.
Erin O'Quinn
Oct 17, 2012 Erin O'Quinn rated it it was amazing
THE BIKER: Book Noir (NOTE--I ALSO POSTED THIS REVIEW ON AMAZON, WHERE I PURCHASED THE BOOK)

Dan Mader’s book is the odyssey of a biker, a man who has dedicated himself to finding the killer of his father. It is a book that reads the way I remember the classic films noirs of the ‘forties--black-and-white with flashes of red. Gritty, back-alley real. The language is spare. It is the language of street rap, angry poetry, a blues riff with an unexpected edge of deep humanity.

Somewhere in the night-s
Colin
Dec 23, 2012 Colin rated it really liked it
Mader continues to do well all that he did well in joe cafe. The Biker is another story about the consequences of violence, this time through the revenge tale of Matt Stark, who fluidly changes chords between quiet sensitivity, and outcast brutality. The characters are anchored by their families and their histories, adding to the sense of violence as a cyclical phenomenon, or a feedback loop.

The Biker makes heavier use of dialog than Joe Cafe; Mader recreates the familiarity of friends who say w
L.B. Clark
Aug 13, 2012 L.B. Clark rated it it was amazing
The Biker is the kind of character-driven action-adventure story that keeps you reading long after you should have shut out the lights and gone to bed. The plot is clean and simple without being brainless, but the characters are what really make the story. Each is well-defined and memorable - no cardboard cutouts here - and they are believable, living in a world made up of a full color palette rather than merely black and white. Added to that is Mader's flair for descriptions and witty dialogue. ...more
Leland
Aug 31, 2014 Leland rated it it was amazing
Take a Louis L'Amour western, replace the horses with motorcycles, set the story in modern day San Francisco, add imagination and great writing, and you get The Biker. I started the book looking forward to a few evenings of pleasant reading, and couldn't put it down. I'm looking forward to reading the next Matt Stark novel... Matt Stark is a brilliantly flawed yet heroic character. This book is high on my list of favorites for the year!
Edward Lorn
Oct 31, 2012 Edward Lorn rated it really liked it
JD Mader's writing is spot on. Quick, witty and punchy. I will say that I like his first novel Joe's Cafe a wee bit better. This one story seemed to go too smoothly. Joe's Cafe was beautifully dark and disturbing, leaving you with plenty to mull over after the book was finished. The Biker was almost cut and dry. Everything wraps up nicely, like a gift on Christmas. This is completely subjective as I like unhappy endings.

E.
Jack
Oct 14, 2012 Jack rated it really liked it
Pretty good story. Decent writing and it got me interested quickly. The ending, I dunno, seemed a little weak after all the tension building up. I kind if expected something a little stronger. But I did enjoy this story.
Jan
Oct 06, 2012 Jan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2012
If you like watching Sons of Anarchy you might like this book about a lone biker looking for revenge on his father's death. Loved the surprise twist at the end!.
Wendy
Wendy rated it liked it
Dec 02, 2012
Grace
Grace rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2012
R.G. Phelps
R.G. Phelps rated it really liked it
Dec 16, 2015
Calvin Haynes
Calvin Haynes rated it it was ok
Dec 28, 2015
Wendy Siefken
Wendy Siefken rated it it was amazing
Jun 30, 2014
Ann Cathey
Ann Cathey rated it really liked it
May 26, 2016
Sandy Mottola
Sandy Mottola rated it liked it
Jul 18, 2014
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it really liked it
Oct 25, 2016
Nikki Craig
Nikki Craig rated it it was amazing
Dec 16, 2012
Gramma
Gramma rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2015
Heather
Heather rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2014
Lily Java
Lily Java rated it it was amazing
Jul 03, 2016
Cassandra
Cassandra rated it it was ok
May 23, 2013
Bren
Bren rated it liked it
May 10, 2012
Betty
Betty rated it it was amazing
Jun 07, 2012
David Gau
David Gau rated it really liked it
Oct 20, 2015