Start by marking “Unpacked Again: Travel Disaster Stories” as Want to Read:
Unpacked Again: Travel Disaster Stories

Unpacked Again: Travel Disaster Stories

3.23  ·  Rating Details  ·  208 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
From Ecuador to London, from Morocco to Brazil, from California to Indonesia, bad things can strike a traveller anytime. Illness, imprisonment, mistaken identities, riots, close encounters with bears, foreign toilet ettiquette and stewed rat, it's all in this collection of travel disasters.
Published October 1st 2001 by Oakland CA (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Unpacked Again, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unpacked Again

Christopher
Jul 18, 2007 Christopher rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
LONELY PLANET UNPACKED, one of the first in LP's line of Journeys travel stories, is a collection of reminisces by twenty-six Lonely Planet travel guide writers about disastrous experiences on the road, from getting robbed to waking up with a scabies infection in a bed and breakfast. The idea may sound interesting, but the book isn't much fun at all.

The first thing that hits the reader is the low level of much of the prose. While these travel guide writers may be experts at compiling a useful li
Amy
Apr 19, 2015 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this book up from an airport many years ago so I'd have something to read on a flight, and I remember enjoying it immensely then, and on a reread, I still found it quite entertaining. A few of these stories seemed a bit dry, and I'm sure they'd be much improved if the author was telling them in a game of one-upmanship disaster stories that happens with fellow travelers.

The most dated thing about this book was not the lack of technology, but rather the mentions of traveling with the gia
Xanthi
May 27, 2012 Xanthi rated it it was ok
As with most anthologies, some of these stories were better than others, given the differing styles of writing and also the experiences. The stories that worked the best, for me, were the ones of mishap and misadventure, but also a sense of 'I can laugh about it now'. I enjoyed the story about the 'kidnapping', as it had the drama and tension, but also the humour I was hoping for.
I found the story of falling off a pyramid rather startling, as I did not expect to read about a death in a book abo
Haly Boris
Found and read it in a hostel while I was traveling. It's refreshing to know that even Lonely Planet contributors get some bad luck when traveling abroad! A couple of stories were hard to follow and awkwardly written, but most of them made me want to travel further and farther.
Kelli
Sep 15, 2015 Kelli rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unpacked is a collection of travel experiences written by travel writers who work for Lonely Planet. The most interesting thing about this book is the essays take place in remote and unusual areas that it seems that few people actually travel to. The writing is stiff--clearly written by travel writers rather than essayists.
Lorri
May 29, 2013 Lorri rated it really liked it
I've borrowed a number of Lonely Planet books from the library. Some aren't worth the effort of reading. Some are lovely escapes into faraway places. This is one of the later. You won't find suggestions on meals, hotels or tours but what you get is detail of an adventure. Not travel disaster stories, perhaps, but off the beaten path adventures. My favorite was Daniel Robinson's description of checking out the tourist sites in Cambodia while the war was still very much going on. I can't possibly ...more
Owen
Aug 13, 2012 Owen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
More inconvenience stories here. Most of the stories have something go wrong but very few of the incidents approach being disasters. The writing varies, guidebook writers not always being great at full narrative. Some get a nice sense of place or character but not enough to bother reading this. Don't Shit in the Toilet was more successful, inconsistent as it was, with at least real disaster stories and writing with character. For all of the potential stories which must have happened to Lonely P ...more
Kerry
Sep 30, 2008 Kerry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone with a desire to travel
This is a collection of disaster stories from writers for the Lonely Planet travel guide series. Some of the stories were interesting and captivating, but others just fell short. I learned that I never want to travel to any Russian territory or formally ruled country, nor to most of Asia. This book serves as a great jumping off point for other travel stories. I want to read more of what Lonely Planet has to offer. A short read; I read it in only 1 day.
Elisa
Apr 13, 2012 Elisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this book up off of my parents bookshelf. I enjoyed the short stories of misadventure. As I read I realized that although I liked reading about the Travel Writers' adventures, I had no desire to be able to tell some of these tales myself. I wish I were more adventurous, but alas, I like to keep my distance from the edge. But overall they were fun stories about how the unexpected can still have an upside.
Marilyn
Oct 13, 2010 Marilyn rated it liked it
A collection of entertaining and interesting travel stories which will leave you shaking your head and amazed at the trouble that travelling can get you into. It also leaves you with the sense that there is so much more of the world you want to explore. An especially good book to take when travelling since the stories are short and it is reasonably light reading.
Maria (Ri)
Jul 22, 2010 Maria (Ri) rated it really liked it
I finally got around to reading this one and I'm so glad I did! Some of these tales are uproariously funny! Others certainly made me cringe and be glad I wasn't along on that travel experience! All of them, though, made me appreciate the work that goes into creating the Lonely Planet guides which have helped me travel in Africa and Asia.
Mitch
Aug 03, 2013 Mitch rated it really liked it
Shelves: travel
This is good stuff if you a an independent, adventure-seeking backpack-toting traveler to exotic locations everywhere out there.

If you don't care for one short story, you'll find others you will. And with any luck, you'll relate to more than a few things that happen to the various authors. How it all comes back...
Bridge
May 01, 2008 Bridge rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is nothing great about this book - I probably have as entertaining travel stories as some of them, but it is a fun and easy read and I really liked it. I think it's always interesting to read about travel adventures and new places. Also it's fun to dream that I could work for Lonely Planet some day...
I never had the personal fortitude necessary to even think about a backpacking-type of holiday but it was interesting reading about the experiences of others...I still have no inclination to take any sort of a backpacker's holiday but at least I've had a bit of living vicariously now.
K.
Sep 16, 2011 K. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read a few of LP's books and I generally like them all, including this one. I love travel stories and used to dream of writing for LP and National Geographic, so these stories are great reading for me. If you like travel stories, read this.
Saya Hashimoto
Sep 13, 2010 Saya Hashimoto rated it did not like it
Couldn't even finish it, awful awful writing and I've had more adventures travelling than the entire lot put together and I think I'm tame - the authors should stick to travel guides.
Nicole
May 30, 2010 Nicole rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
a collection of different travelogues, assorted as individual chapters. each one stands alone and can be read in short order - you can get your fix of travel writing quickly.
Tracy
Jan 02, 2012 Tracy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I recommend for a fun look at other travellers tragedies and misadventures.

Read the full review at OurBookClub
Dweintrop
a few of the stories were good - but mostly the stories were pretty lame and it was just travel writers trying to be novelists and not doing a very good job
Boof
I read this in my backpacking days. Good fun although I'm pretty convinced that some of my many hair-raising experiences make these seem abit tame!
Charity Hall
A couple of the stories had me laughing uproariously. Others were either confusing or just sort of ...meh. But it is a fun read on a plane!
Randy
Aug 31, 2007 Randy is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I'm digging reading this one piecemeal. Esp good to take along road-tripping or sitting on the john; really any maximum adventure.
Pam
Jun 26, 2008 Pam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun, insightful, fascinating. These stories of Lonely Planet writers all over the world is the perfect armchair travelers book.
Bookend McGee
Dec 05, 2014 Bookend McGee rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Dig the story "Doing Brave".
Bianca
Mar 22, 2013 Bianca rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some stories were really exciting, entertaining and well written but others barely had me skimming over them.
Tami
I like disaster stories. More so than the romantic travel stuff that usually is just a bunch of crap.
Marie
Aug 26, 2013 Marie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel
Quick, fun read of various Lonely Planet writers. The only one I really didn't like was Tony Wheeler's.
Rodrigo Pérez
Short stories on travels. Somes are amusing, others are not.
Catsalive
Mar 19, 2015 Catsalive rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008
Things to look back on and laugh about, but tough going at the time.
Kathy Mcpherson
Some stories more exciting than others but I love travel books!
  • The Smart Traveler's Passport
  • The Best American Travel Writing 2007
  • The Best American Travel Writing 2001
  • Delaying the Real World
  • Wild Writing Women: Stories of World Travel
  • By the Seat of My Pants: Humorous Tales of Travel and Misadventure
  • There's No Toilet Paper . . . on the Road Less Traveled: The Best of Travel Humor and Misadventure
  • A House Somewhere: Tales of Life Abroad (Lonely Planet Journeys)
  • Mexico
  • A Woman's Passion for Travel: True Stories of World Wanderlust
  • The Practical Nomad: How to Travel Around the World
  • The Road Less Travelled: 1,000 Amazing Places off the Tourist Trail
  • Working on the Edge: Surviving In the World's Most Dangerous Profession: King Crab Fishing on Alaska's High Seas
  • Falling Off the Map: Some Lonely Places of the World
  • Le gentil petit diable et autres contes de la rue Broca
  • Micronations: the Lonely Planet guide to self-proclaimed nations
  • Japan (Lonely Planet Guide)
  • Why There's Antifreeze in Your Toothpaste: The Chemistry of Household Ingredients