Start by marking “The Erection Set” as Want to Read:
The Erection Set

The Erection Set

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  150 ratings  ·  12 reviews
The Erection Set introduces Mickey Spillane's greatest hero yet--Dogeron Kelly, a walking bomb of a man who explodes into block-busting action at the drop of a gun or a lift of a skirt as he goes after a multi-million-dollar mob with vengeance on his mind and burning hate in his heart.
Published May 1st 1972 by Signet (first published January 1st 1972)

To ask other readers questions about The Erection Set, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Erection Set

The Haunted Vagina by Carlton Mellick IIIBeautiful Cocksucker by Barbara SheridanThe Baby Jesus Butt Plug by Carlton Mellick IIITickle His Pickle! by Sadie AllisonHow to Live with a Huge Penis by Owen_Thomas
Humorous, Strange, or Downright Shocking Titles
88th out of 200 books — 259 voters
A Streetcar Named Desire by Tennessee WilliamsRobert Mapplethorpe and the Classical Tradition by Germano CelantLove In The Time Of Cholera by Gabriel Garcí­a MárquezTropic of Cancer by Henry MillerKushiel's Dart by Jacqueline Carey
Nudes
37th out of 211 books — 39 voters

More lists with this book...

Jim
This is a stand alone book, not Mike Hammer or Tiger Mann series - which means I liked it better than most. It's also based on a short story, "The Bastard Bannerman" which can be found in The Tough Guys, a collection of 3 short stories.

Spillane changed all the names & expanded the short story by tossing in number of different threads - basically everything he could think of plus the kitchen sink. There's a European connection, a movie, a dying company, rotten family, lost love(s), renewed fr
Ryan
Jun 11, 2011 Ryan rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: justok
The main character in this story is possibly the most macho man I have ever read about. His name is Dogeron Kelly (called "Dog" even though he isn't black) and he is fast with a gun, a lady killer, and just plain ready for anything. He can kill three armed killers without a problem. He cures a woman suffering the psychological side affects of rape...with his penis. And his most amazing feat is his ability to get free sex from a hooker, because she wants him so bad.

This all seems like the set up
Joel Kirk
Boy, this book was a task to get through.

There were no clear goals or obstacles to overcome, no clear story, and a lack of strong characterization. This book read like a draft that was still being tweaked; ideas from a brainstorm.

Even the title doesn't have anything to do with the 'story.'

The main character was Dogeron Kelly, usually called 'Dog' for short. He's described as having a crew cut and a face that is hawk-like, and is middle-aged. I'm assuming this character is based on Mickey Spill
Charles Spencer
This is the first book written by Mickey Spillane I ever read, a long time ago, and I think it still holds up today. There are a few things that make this novel seriously dated, but its themes and pure, hard boiled attitude can still be seen from the works of Andrew Vachss (another favorite author I need to look up here!) to the graphic novel noir of Frank Miller's SIN CITY. With a minimum of polishing and updating in all the right places, in fact, this would make a powerhouse of a cinematic thr ...more
Dufour
I bought this book coz it had a nekkid lady on the cover and it was only 50 cents at the half-price bookstore. It turned out to be my favorite Mickey Spillane novel. Just as hard boiled as Mike Hammer and Tiger Mann, but not nearly as overwrought. More of a coolness to it than the pulp trash that made Spillane famous. And there's lots of fucking.
Victoria Mixon
God knows, I tried.

I looked at the title and thought, "A sense of humor!" And I looked at the earnest early-twenties young woman holding that idiotic pose for the camera and thought, "It was the sixties--sexism was king." So when multiple references to Hefner's exploitation of very young women cropped up throughout the novel, I thought, "Yeah, Spillane knew what it really was."

And the truth is, Spillane did know: he knew how to write, he knew how to target his audience, he knew how to give his
Derek Hansen
I had to rate this 1 star for literature's sake, but if you're intelligent enough to understand the difference between objectively good writing and objectively bad writing (think James Joyce vs Twilight), this book is extremely entertaining for all the wrong reasons.
Mickey Spillane is the most ham-handed, awkward, and arrogant person to ever put words onto a piece of paper. Now, that alone is not an insult, more of an explanation of "style" really. Because he is so out of touch with the concepts
Ed
Minor stand-alone thriller from author Mickey Spillane, who more famously penned 13 hard-boiled Mike Hammer novels.

Thriller - "Dog" Kelly returns from post-war Europe to collect minor inheritance. Typical blood and guts Spillane. Constant bits indicating Dog is a drug racketeer are not convincing and the question of who the fiancé of virgin Sharon Carr is, is blatantly obvious. Readable but more of a nostalgia trip than anything else.
Wanda
The sexual mores were dated, but otherwise it was a reasonable airline read. In a few places I was thinking, "Yeah, like that's gonna happen," but, after all, it's a story to pass the time with and enjoy for what it is.
Nikmaack
A big, jumbled mess of weirdness. The first person narrator holds out secrets on us, which grows more and more irritating as time goes on.

Still, there are some great passages here and there that held my attention and kept me reading right until the very end.
Mickey Wyte
I'm 10% done with The Erection Set: I had been searching for this book for several months as it was highly recommended to me to read. Finally found it in a Kindle addition. Just started it and love the voice.
shawn stapleton
cheap detective story which was good reading on the bus & train
Patricia A Darrah
Patricia A Darrah is currently reading it
May 02, 2015
Joel Kirk
Joel Kirk is currently reading it
Apr 26, 2015
No Fear
No Fear marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Stefani Pulley
Stefani Pulley marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2015
Barbara Hale
Barbara Hale marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2015
Mark Lemmerman
Mark Lemmerman is currently reading it
Feb 18, 2015
Randy
Randy added it
Jan 28, 2015
Paige
Paige marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2014
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Rod Joseph
Rod Joseph marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Ambushers (Matt Helm, #6)
  • The Black Angel
  • The Wycherly Woman
  • The Guns of Heaven (Hard Case Crime #24)
  • Panzer Soldier (Casca, #4)
  • The Damsel (Alan Grofield, #1)
  • The Masters of Solitude (Masters of Solitude, #1)
  • The Right Madness
  • The Tower
  • The Night Watcher (Night #2)
  • Chinese Puzzle (The Destroyer, #3)
  • Because the Night (Lloyd Hopkins, #2)
Mickey Spillane was one of the world's most popular mystery writers. His specialty was tight-fisted, sadistic revenge stories, often featuring his alcoholic gumshoe Mike Hammer and a cast of evildoers who launder money or spout the Communist Party line.

His writing style was characterized by short words, lightning transitions, gruff sex and violent endings. It was once tallied that he offed 58 peop
More about Mickey Spillane...
I, the Jury The Mike Hammer Collection: Volume I Kiss Me, Deadly My Gun Is Quick Vengeance Is Mine