Start by marking “Draw It With Your Eyes Closed: The Art of the Art Assignment” as Want to Read:
Draw It With Your Eyes Closed: The Art of the Art Assignment

Draw It With Your Eyes Closed: The Art of the Art Assignment

Draw It with Your Eyes Closed: the Art of the Art Assignment is a unique and wide-ranging anthology featuring essays, drawings, and assignments from over 100 contributors including: John Baldessari, William Pope.L, Mira Schor, Rochelle Feinstein, B... Full description
Published January 13th 2013 by n+1 Foundation (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Draw It With Your Eyes Closed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Draw It With Your Eyes Closed

Arielle Walker
Mar 29, 2016 Arielle Walker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art, non-fiction
A fun read with moments of utter brilliance.
Romie
Sep 14, 2014 Romie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is no way to say this and not sound obnoxous: I am among other things a conceptual artist and one of my preferred mediums is the art assignment. I would say "fake" art assignment, since I don't teach art, but they're not fake; sometimes people do them, sometimes with the blessing of cultural institutions. However, nobody's required to and the point isn't whether they get done. They are to teaching what Diana Vreeland's "Why Don't You" column is to fashion advice.

In that spirit, I like this
Bart
Jul 03, 2012 Bart rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a pleasant enough little book that often serves as nothing so much as a reminder of how little art schools have to offer, despite themselves.

Whether rebelling against universities run like corporations, rehashing sex debates from the 1960s, or refusing to answer the book's simple request - provide the best art lesson you've been offered, or offered yourself - the hundred or so teachers featured in Draw It with Your Eyes Closed meet so many stereotypes adults associate with college studen
TinHouseBooks
Mar 28, 2013 TinHouseBooks rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-we-love
Emma Komlos-Hrobsky (Editorial Assistant, Tin House Magazine): The book I’ve looked for excuses to talk about all year (2012) is Draw it With Your Eyes Closed: The Art of the Art Assignment edited by Dwight Garner. The book compiles personal accounts of memorable art school tasks, particularly stories of battle raged with intrinsically impossible assignments and the attendant humiliation/pain/suffering/revelation they caused. (My favorite features performance art with a grilled cheese sandwich a ...more
Tomas Ramanauskas
Feb 19, 2016 Tomas Ramanauskas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Great personal stories, secrets, magic spells on creative kickstarters. Much more than a book about art assignments.
AraLucia Ashburne
A wide variety of artists offer their favorite MFA art assignments; clever, intriguing, inspiring and sometimes humorous. This book offers creative and innovative opportunities with both depth and breadth: some doable, some impossible (just to see where they will take you). It was an absolute delight as a read and as an experience and one I will go back to over and over for many years to come. If I could only take a single book to a desert island this would be it.
Courtney
As an art educator (not studio professor), I enjoyed several bits of this book. It reaches, often, towards the unnameable, difficult-to-recreate aesthetic experiences that motivate us to make art in the first place. Much of it feels like it's meant to be photocopied and hung in art departments - in a good way. I would recommend it either before or after watching Art School Confidential.
Shelley
Nov 17, 2013 Shelley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: text-books
worth a look, for artists or most other humans. Excellent for looking at art, better for problem solving. I would say to skip any that are overly-- precious or self-important.
And get to work.
There are deadlines.
Nicola
Aug 11, 2012 Nicola rated it really liked it
Fascinating. I no longer regret not going to art school, and the variety of voices was great. It was very thought-provoking.
Ryan
Sep 15, 2013 Ryan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: design
A serious manual on why you should avoid art school.
Elisa Rudolph
May 09, 2015 Elisa Rudolph rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
I really enjoyed this book. So much variety in response, and even outside of art assignments, my favorites including radical critique methods, the intimate questionnaire of Paul Thek, and the important refusal of assignments in entirety. Definitely recommend to both students and teachers, **especially** art students in their first year.
Adam Peterson
Nov 23, 2015 Adam Peterson rated it liked it
I'd say skip it all together if you're seeking enlightenment or improvement from this book. Much of what this book offers is insight towards bewildering curricula and a few thought experiments regarding art's value, a question answered much better by many others. There are a few gems here and there, and because of them the book is rewarding, but ask and I'll save you the time digging for them.

The book reminds me of another book, This Explains Everything and its pages of beautiful explanations. D
Danielle
May 30, 2012 Danielle rated it really liked it
About 90 artists/teachers reflect on and/or share about the most successful or unsuccessful art assignments given or received. There were some humorous anecdotal stories sprinkled throughout some straightforward assignment explanations. Also, general art theory talk about teaching and learning art. I will use some of the assignments for my own inspiration, and while most of the assignments are either inappropriate or too advanced for a younger audience there were still some gems that I can adapt ...more
Ryan Hill
The look of the book has the look of a 70's newsprint manual on conceptualism. But the exercises are a look into a variety of practices and sensibilities. Historically interesting, but not completely useful for my classroom teaching.
Nicole Geary
Sep 10, 2012 Nicole Geary rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art-school
Thoroughly enjoyed it - I read this book in no particular order, mostly by picking it up and going to random selections and then reading until I was satiated.
Stephanie
Nov 02, 2012 Stephanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art, education
Great art tips and assignments from various art instructors for every age.
Ally
Jun 16, 2012 Ally rated it liked it
This was fun :D
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Sep 28, 2016
Lola
Lola marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2016
Javier
Javier rated it really liked it
Sep 23, 2016
Nathan
Nathan rated it really liked it
Sep 20, 2016
Veronica
Veronica marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
Jenna
Jenna marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2016
Julie
Julie added it
Aug 28, 2016
Jeremiah Demster
Jeremiah Demster rated it liked it
Sep 21, 2016
Brooke Van der linden
Brooke Van der linden marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2016
Ethan Byrne
Ethan Byrne marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2016
puppy
puppy marked it as to-read
Katherine
Katherine marked it as to-read
PARTHAPROTIM GAYEN
PARTHAPROTIM GAYEN marked it as to-read
Goodreads Librari...: Combine editions 2 17 Jul 25, 2015 05:13AM
  • The Daily Practice of Painting: Writings 1960-1993
  • Minimalism
  • Conversation Pieces: Community and Communication in Modern Art
  • Formless: A User's Guide
  • Drawn In: A Peek into the Inspiring Sketchbooks of 44 Fine Artists, Illustrators, Graphic Designers, and Cartoonists
  • The Lure of the Local: Senses of Place in a Multicentered Society
  • WACK! Art and the Feminist Revolution
  • Adventures in Bookbinding: Handcrafting Mixed-Media Books

“must reason your way through the problem. Using line only, draw one simple geometric shape, such as a square, triangle or circle. Without overlapping or intersecting, draw a different shape. Now, draw another. Choose your favorite. Make the other 2 like your favorite. Enlarge one of the shapes. Reduce one of them. Make one shape touch one edge of the page. Make the other” 0 likes