Start by marking “The Story About Ping” as Want to Read:
The Story About Ping

The Story About Ping

4.15  ·  Rating Details ·  35,938 Ratings  ·  407 Reviews
Ping was an adventurous duck who lived on a beautiful wise-eyed boat on the Yangtze River. He liked his life on the riverboat just and liked his large family and his kind master. He didn't like to be the last in line to board the boat at night, for that unlucky duck got a loud spank. So what did Ping do when it seemed that he would be the last on line? What else but set ou ...more
Published August 28th 2000 by Grosset & Dunlap (first published 1933)

To ask other readers questions about The Story About Ping, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Story About Ping

Michael
Oct 22, 2010 Michael rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
Since this is a children's book review, I ought to warn you:

description

Okay, so this book is FUCKED up. It's about a cute little duck who lives somewhere in China, and he's one of the many ducks that lives on some kinda boat, and every day he's supposed to get back on the boat at the end of his time hanging out in the water. And, every day, the last duck on the boat gets hit on the butt by the human who is in charge of the boat. It's VIOLENT!

So, our protagonist, named PING, loses track of time, and he se
Eva Leger
Nov 02, 2010 Eva Leger rated it did not like it
Shelves: julias-books, wtf
Uh, am I the only one that has a problem with this little duck being whacked for no reason? Is it really just me? I'm sorry but we want to ban books that talk about sex and mention a cuss word but we can beat defenseless little ducks? What the fuck is wrong with this picture?
I get this was published in 1933 when spanking was in. Hell, I'm not even against spanking! But in a book? With a little duck? Who did nothing wrong?!
Is it just me (again) or did I read in the description that this duck li
Ronyell
Ping

I actually first heard about his story years ago on a Weston Woods video. “The Story of Ping” is a Chinese story by Marjorie Flack and Kurt Wiese about how a young and beautiful duck named Ping gets lost in the Yangtze River after he tries to avoid punishment of being late. “The Story of Ping” is a cute story about showing the consequences of disobedience and the importance of family that children cannot resist!

Once there lived a beautiful young yellow duck named Ping who lived with his mother,
Nefariousbig
Other than Russell Hoban's "Frances" series, this book is my favorite childhood memory. It foretold a life of distraction, rebellion, waywardness, all nighters, and the last duck home swat. I was fortunate enough to buy a Signed, First Edition this book at auction. It is a treasured possession.
Lisa Vegan
I completely forgot about this book until I saw it at Goodreads. But I remember liking it a lot as a kid. It was first read to me and when I learned to read, I read it to myself as well. I was fascinated by the foreign setting. I don’t have a copy now; I assume at this point I’d hate the part about the spanking.
Sally
Mar 13, 2008 Sally rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, picture-book
I have especially fond memories of this book. I just felt like I was there, on the river.

Re-reading it this week brought to mind sadness at how quickly the planet can be changed by people. The Yangtze river way of life is quite different than it was 70 years ago when this book was written. (And perhaps Flack didn't have it exactly right; she's not Chinese, after all.) But certainly things have changed. In the 30 years since I became acquainted with the book, the Yangtze Valley has lost 140 villa
Angela
I read this because it's on my daughter's five in a row book list for home schooling. I'm sure it was a great children's book during the time of it's publication but it's pretty dated and insensitive by today's standards. My child found the animal story and the information about China interesting but was to disturbed about the boat owner hitting the duck to get the moral of it at all. He runs away to escape being whacked as the last duck on the boat, then gets in danger, escapes, finds his famil ...more
midnightfaerie
This was required reading as an additive for my 5 yr old's history lesson. He enjoyed the story, and it was relatively interesting, I was just hoping for a little more Chinese culture. It takes place on the Yangtze river, which is mentioned over and over again on each page, so it's great for repetitive learning if your child keeps forgetting the name of the river, but other than that, not much info on China. So much more could have been done with this book, and so I was disappointed. It's somewh ...more
Russell
Oct 03, 2015 Russell rated it did not like it
Under a harsh totalitarian system, even corporal punishment is desirable compared to exclusion. This kind of system is why North Koreans who find themselves outside of their country often try to return to the harsh rule.

(view spoiler)
Brooke
Nov 19, 2012 Brooke rated it it was amazing
The classic book, The Story about Ping, is a page turner, featuring a little yellow duck, who, in fear of receiving punishment, hides from it, only to meet something much more sinister. The theme of the book is a combination of “the grass isn’t always greener on the other side,” “you don’t know what you have until it’s gone,” and “there’s no place like home.” Ping, who is personified with human-like feelings, is late arriving to his family’s boat one afternoon. He knows that the last duck acros ...more
Elyse M.
Nov 15, 2012 Elyse M. rated it it was amazing
When I was four, my Mom got this book for me for a series we used in homeschooling called "5-in-1". I instantly fell in love with the story of the duckling, the beautiful pencil crayon illustrations and the mystery if an land unknown to me. Well, "5-in-1" taught me a lot of the stuff I wondered, but I still read this book for the fond memories of rainy days curled up with my Mom reading, and of Ping who I still love very much. The writing is beautifully simple, and has enough mystery to keep you ...more
Chuck
Oct 31, 2013 Chuck rated it really liked it
This story is about a duck named ping who dosen't want to be the last duck up on the plank so he doesn't go home . He then gets lost and captured and almost becomes supper but is let go at the last minute. He is finally reunited back with his family.

Ping a young duck with a very large family who gets lost and almost eaten and he is bright yellow.

This story takes place on the Yangtze river in the 1900's on a boat.

I would recommend this book to little children. They will love all the pictures an
Kat
Dec 17, 2007 Kat rated it it was amazing
This was a favorite of mine as a child and I read this to my own child and we both loved that naughty duck - it is all about getting the little spank and avoiding that consequence! Ping's adventures are infinitely human - we all want to avoid those nasty consequences, but in the end (literally and figuratively) we learn from the school of hard knocks or whacks in this case. The pictures and the story are equally wonderful.
Amanda Kroeschel
*We had this in one of our school sets, and it was one of the stories Aunt Mary (and others) read to the girls at GmaKroeschel's often. :)
Peacegal
Dec 10, 2010 Peacegal rated it liked it
Ruth E. R.
Aug 03, 2016 Ruth E. R. rated it really liked it
I gave it 4 stars as a children's book. Most children would enjoy the way some of the pages end mid-sentence so that you must turn the page, where you will find another surprise. This is a very positive and simple story. I imagine many engrossed children listening to it being read to them and who, in the end, will laugh out loud.

Some children may even learn something from Ping: the over-sensitive may see that a bit of teasing is a display of affection as well as serving a useful purpose. I am o
Asho
Apr 21, 2013 Asho rated it really liked it
This was one of my favorite books when I was a child. I can still remember my dad reading it to my siblings and me at bedtime and hollering out the loudest "La-la-la-la-lei!" that he could muster. We loved it.
I distinctly remember being fascinated by the idea of the Yangtze River. This was possibly the first book to make me realize that there were different cultures in the world beyond the American one in which I lived, and I am sure it helped to inspire my love of travel and exploration.
Reading
Trisha
Sep 12, 2010 Trisha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In the Story About Ping you have ducks getting whacked, one who practically runs away to not get whacked, enslaved birds, imminent death of the main character to feed humans, and boys tied to boats. The strangest part though is that I absolutely LOVED this book as a child. My mother hated reading it to me because she thought it was too depressing, but I would beg and beg and beg for her to read it one more time. She said some nights I would ask for her to read it three or four times in a row.

Thi
Cherene
Feb 19, 2013 Cherene rated it did not like it
I'll chalk it up to this, if you dislike the idea of spanking, skip this book. I have never had to spank my child (we use other discipline methods that don't rule by fear of pain). I strongly dislike spanking - do we really think our children are so mindless that they can only learn if physically subjected to pain? And what motivation does that offer to learn proper behavior when fear of spanking is over? It is a temporary solution. Anyway, the point of this is, that my son was disturbed by the ...more
Afkham
Jan 03, 2017 Afkham rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens
It's a short story about a little duck that takes place on the longest river in Asia. It pathetically tries to indicate the importance of family and maybe society with its leaders and lows and sometimes the punishments.

I specifically didn't like the course of actions (wasn't smart at all). The main turning points of the story were baseless and idly happening to forcibly get to the goal. Or maybe I'm getting too old to enjoy such simply didactic stories!?
Contemplative
Mar 04, 2009 Contemplative rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Contemplative by: Rachel Harris
What a delightful story. My 4yr old and 2yr old thoroughly enjoyed this story and requested it several times as their bedtime story. It was a wonderful way to introduce the country of China in January for Chinese New Year. We visited the Forbidden Gardens and learned about some of China's history. Even my 2yr old made the connection after crossing a waterway and said "Mama where's Ping?" Needless to say, I was smiling from ear to ear!
Paul
May 08, 2012 Paul rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-lit
There's plenty to like in this simple story with its likeable character and memorable illustration. It's not a great book, but it has stood the test of time - celebrating its 80th anniversary next year). I would plead for moderation in over-reading the switching Ping gets - it's more like switching cattle than beating an animal or abusing a child.
Beth
Feb 20, 2009 Beth rated it liked it
OK, this was bought as a lark, trying to get free shipping. I must admit it was pretty good, after all it was written in the 1930's. The illustrations were great & the children I have read it to, did start to ask questions about China, so I guess it does still spark the imagination of the younger generations!
Carol
Nov 21, 2008 Carol rated it it was amazing
I think I first heard this read on the Captain Kangaroo television show when I was three or four years old. I utterly identified with Ping as a fellow curious little person exploring the enormous world. I was hugely relieved at his safe return home, but then and every time thereafter that I heard the story, I felt that it was most unfair that the last duck in line every night got a spank!
Vaishali
Oct 02, 2014 Vaishali rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
Sometimes children's stories are the best! So innocent, and so magical... and this one so wise! A cute adventure that teaches you so much about rebellion, street smarts, courage, hope, animal rights, veganism... and how the acceptance of a little pain today can be far less than the terror that awaits you in exchange. Bravo!
Terry Smith
Jul 18, 2015 Terry Smith rated it really liked it
This book is getting dated but the illustrations are still quite beautiful. I am not sure what the author's moral was? That it is ok to be hit cause you are last in line? That life isn't fair so suck it up? I just don't know. Still...the pictures are beautiful.
ABC
Feb 29, 2008 ABC rated it liked it
Recommends it for: kids
Shelves: younger-kids
Well, I liked this book, but I can't really see what the fuss is to make it on virtually every children's book reading list. The moral is to go ahead and get your spanking or you'll get lost? Or the moral is that you will eventually find your family, despite the odds?
Ruth
Dec 05, 2009 Ruth rated it it was amazing
The book that sealed my fate as a bookworm.
Tiffany
  • The Little Red Lighthouse and the Great Gray Bridge
  • Millions of Cats
  • Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel
  • The Llama Who Had No Pajama: 100 Favorite Poems
  • Ox-Cart Man (Picture Puffin)
  • Papa Piccolo
  • The Clown of God
  • Cranberry Thanksgiving
  • Bedtime for Frances
  • The Country Bunny and the Little Gold Shoes
  • Egermeier's Bible Story Book
  • Morris's Disappearing Bag
  • Five True Dog Stories (Little Apple)