Dirty Laundry (Sofie Metropolis, #2)

Dirty Laundry (Sofie Metropolis #2)

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  790 ratings  ·  62 reviews
Sofie Metropolis is the newest P.I. on the mean streets of Astoria, Queens. She's known for her trademark frappes and her itchy trigger finger. She even shot one of her own clients!
Well, he was trying to kill her at the time . . . and she only hit him in the knee . . . .
Sofie's hot on the trail of a missing pet ferret--wait, aren't those illegal in New York City?--and a mi...more
Published May 2nd 2006 by Forge Books (first published 2006)

Andrea Guy
I was sat on the fence with the first Sofie Metropolis book, but with Dirty Laundry I find myself really liking the series.

Sure it is like Evanovich's Plum series. There are a lot of parallel's including Sofie's use of the word "Probably." But for all those similarities, Sofie is different from Stephanie. She lacks a side kick and her family is way more quirky than the Plum household. She's also a girly girl, something which really can't be said for Stephanie.

In this book there's more cheating s...more
bookczuk
Not a bad little mystery-- kind of like Janet Evanovich meets My Big Fat Greek Wedding-- or I guess that would be Stephanie Plum or Barney rather than Janet, herself. Still not quite sure of the wholebit as to why Sofie's investigation might have required cement boots (seemed a bit extreme and a bit messy, but hey, who am I to criticize?)

Anyhow, if I stumble upon more in this series, I'll probably give them a read. I'll offer this to bumma now and if she's not interested, will wild release or ta...more
Donna
These are enjoyable little mysteries, heavily spiced with humor, and some great secondary characters.

One of the things I like about Sofie, as compared to some other sleuths, is that she actually makes progress toward solving her cases. Discoveries are made, plans are laid, and it all works toward an ultimate conclusion. In many similar detective/amateur sleuth series, the protagonist sort of bumbles cluelessly from one event to the next, until eventually the mystery solves itself in her presenc...more
Mandolin
In this unabashed mimic of Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series, PI Sofie Metropolis returns once again to the New York crime scene, this time dead set on finding Uncle Tolly, a laundry owner who suddenly disappeared after buying an expensive Mercedes. As Sofie investigates, all clues lead to his involvement in the Greek mafia. Was he laundering more than just clothes? Sofie's probe into the underworld of Astoria proves to be dangerous to her own health, for she finds herself being tailed by...more
Christyn
Dirty Laundry was light and easy reading, you may even pick up a few Greek words or customs. The mystery was okay, and watching Sofie on her investigations was interesting - she bumbles along in the beginning, but towards the end finds a system of baiting that works out well for her. Like I said in my previous review of Sofie Metropolis the first book in the series, the comparisons between this and another popular series are going to be there, but it was still entertaining.

Sofie, there are tim...more
Kaylie
I have to say, this book had me laughing out loud at parts. I thoroughly enjoyed it, I think even more so than I did the first book of the series. Sofie Metropolis is such an easy to love character and I can't wait to see what will happen between her and Jake Porter.
Barks & Bites
I grabbed this book from the tbr pile this morning and started it this afternoon because I wanted something light and fun.

After reading about 1/3 it appears this book is a ripoff of the Stephanie Plum books. The tone is tongue in cheek, the heroine is a Greek girl who, after catching her husband-to-be with the maid of honor on her wedding day, is now a PI wanna-be and she has a huge crush on a sexy Australian bounty hunter. If you've read the Stephanie Plum books this will all sound painfully f...more
Kelly
I didn't have as much fun with this one as the first. I guess the novelty has worn off and my forgiveness for its obvious copying of Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series. I know that many authors have taken the formula of Evanovich's books and written their own series, and I'm okay with that, but it just seems as if this series is too transparent with its copying of Evanovich. Don't get me wrong, Strohmeyer's Bubbles series and White's Bailey Wiggins' series are also like Evanovich (and they all ca...more
Kathleen Hagen
Dirty Laundry, by Tori Carrington. B-plus.
This was a very light read, a Sophie Metropolis novel. Sophie is Greek, and the characters represented by her family are extremely funny. I’ll probably read more of these when I’ve read heavier darker books and need a break. The publisher’s note for the book describes it as well as anyone could:
Sofie Metropolis is the newest P.I. on the mean streets of Astoria, Queens. She's known for her trademark frappes and her itchy trigger finger. Uncle Tolly
was act...more
Frank

Ellen
This felt to me like the authors threw it together because they'd had other successes. Sofie Metropolis is a new P.I., still smarting because she caught her husband-to-be having sex with her best friend, and now she serves papers and shoots photos of other cheating spouses. There's also a manly Australian who rescues her when she's in trouble (but he's just not as sexy as Ranger). Sorry, but not as good a read as Kinsey Milhone or as funny as Stephanie Plum.
Tasha
Ok, so here's the thing. The authors of this book are supposed to be "good" having been up for a slew of awards. Apparently I either don't know what good writing is or this is obviously not one of the books that got them nominated for any of those awards. The cover says "sexy, suspenseful, and flat-out hilarious!"... Sexy - not at all (very boring), suspenseful - didn't pick up on that either, hilarious - didn't even grin while reading the book much less laugh. The idea for the story was good, j...more
Wendy Cull
If you liked My Big Fat Greek Wedding you will undoubtedly enjoy this book. Tori Carrington has that funny Greek family down pat. By the end of the book you wish you were a Greek Metropolis. The book is funny and light-hearted. There is even a bit of suspense, but you know in the end that good will conquer over evil. The suspense is really in what sort of outcome there will be. It is always unique. I love this series. I enjoyed the first book and can't wait to read the third installment. I am in...more
MaryKay
I love Sofie Metropolis! This is the second book I've read in the sofie Metropolis series, and she's a hoot! She is such a quirky almost-PI! I love the difficulties she runs into as she tries to solve neighborhood crimes (and to keep her nosy neighbors from getting in the way of solving the crimes). I love the interactions she has with her family members. I love the references to her Greek-American culture and to the frustrations she has with getting to know hunky a hunky Australian. Sophie Metr...more
Teena in Toronto
This novel reminds me of a Stephanie Plum wannabe. There are lots of similarities but this series is lamer. It was okay but didn't have the same fun as Evanovich's series. The mystery was solved at the end but it wasn't really a mystery, no big deal.

Would I recommend it? Yes, if you have nothing else to read.

As Sophie is Greek, I found I had a craving for Greek food the last couple of days so satisfied that tonight by getting takeout from a local Greek restaurant.

Blog review: http://www.teenaint...more
May 06/10 -- Chapter 11 --
May 10/10 -- Chapter 15 --
May 11/10 -- Chapter 22 --
May 12/10 -- Finished --

Sofie Metro is a hoot! Many of the things described in this book remind me of the Greek community here in Montreal. Yup, it's like comfort food. If I need a good laugh, it's perfect.

I liked the mystery, too. The end was not one I expected but I think there may have been a hint here and there I missed. The characters are really great and I am enjoying this series very muc...more
Sasha Ward
listened to this book.. good book.
Eva
Uncle Tolly, the neighborhood dry cleaner, is missing and Sophie's mother demands that she find him. Who else will she take her dry cleaning to? His wife insists he is dead and wants his body found so she can sell his Mercedes. The mob doesn't want him found and starts following Sophie around as she snoops into Tolly's affairs. Was Uncle Tolly laundering more than clothes?

This is a funny book featuring a witty, sassy girl-next-door who's zany family and crazy neighbors keep things hopping.

Karen
Tori writes a novel similar to those by Janet Evanovich only in the GREEK family. Not quite as side ripping funny as Evanovich she is entertaining nonetheless. You get a lot of Greek culture thrown in with your story.
Sofie has a hunky Australian keeping her safe similar to the hispanic hunk in Evanovich's novels. Sofie's side-kick is a Puerto Rican secretary with her own style of humor unlike Lulu in Evanovich's stories.

All in all it was a fun and entertaining read.
Joanne
Book #2 in the Sofie Metropolis series. While I found this book enjoyable with the Greek references, a pet detective search for Fred the ferret and a missing Uncle Tally (was his disappearance Mob related?) it was a basically a repeat of the first book I read. I also found the “mystery” weaker. If you are looking for a light series where you know your characters, you’ll enjoy spending time with Sophie.

Betsy
Aug 24, 2008 Betsy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who like Evanovich's Stephanie Plum Books
Sofie Metropolis is the Greek answer to Stephanie Plum. While Stephanie has pretty much run her course, Sofie is just starting out - she's a P.I. (rather than bounty hunter), has a bad relationship history, has a quirky family and some nutty sidekicks (although not nearly as quirk or nutty as Plums), and has some mysterious love interests. Some people might find Sofie Metropolis a cheap, Plum knock-off, but I for one kinda like the series.
Robin Green
This was a good mystery with cute elements intertwined involving the heroine's family. I enjoyed it well enough to read others in the series. I hope they're all as good as this one. This is on my fun, recommended reading list.
Yolanda
I have to continue this series because clearly she is clearly the stupidest PI in the universe. lmao
Martha
I wasn't able to read the first book of Sofie Metropolis of Greek Origin but I will read it as soon as it is available to me. I needed a quick, quirky book to read and this was filled the spot. I do not normally enjoy books about the mob but this one too deep for me to keep reading. I did feel that putting Sofie's feet in concrete was going a little overboard. I do like the PI type of books.
Kerri
Aug 05, 2007 Kerri rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Janet Evanovich readers.
Book was ok. Quick and a few good laughs. It's too much like Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum, and I'd rather read that. It's pretty much the same concept, clutsy P.I. except Sofie Metropolis is from Astoria and Stephanie Plum is from NJ. I like my jersey girl the best! I actually only read it because its on the NYPL adult summer reading list. Let's put it this way its a beach book.
Liz
Such a slow read. It's easy to read and follow, but it's easier to put down and walk away. It has a Stephanie Plum feel to it, but less action. You want to follow Stephanie and see where she takes you, but this book it's so slow and doesn't have any action. If you looking for a easy light read, this hits the mark, but not all that great in the entertaining arena.
Evelyn
PI in training Sofie Metropolis hunts down a missing ferret in between her main job of being hot on the trail of a missing dry cleaner who is suspected of laundering money for the mob.

Second in a series. Laugh-out-loud funny situations. Reminiscent of Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich. Highly recommended.
Michael Sakowich
Not a bad little mindless detective read.
  • Dangerous Curves (NASCAR, #1)
  • Passion, Betrayal And Killer Highlights (A Sophie Katz Murder Mystery #2)
  • I Went to Vassar for This?
  • Dating is Murder
  • Top O' the Mournin' (Passport to Peril, #2)
  • Better Off Wed (Annabelle Archer, #1)
  • Killer Heels (Molly Forrester Mystery, #1)
  • The Copenhagen Connection
  • A Murderous Glaze (Clay and Crime, #1)
  • Killer Insight (Psychic Eye Mystery, #4)
  • Dirty Martini (Jack Daniels Mystery, #4)
  • The Job (Fox and O'Hare, #3)
  • Cliffhanger (The Belinda & Bennett Mysteries, #1)
  • 6 Killer Bodies (Body Movers, #6)
  • Physical Education (A Murder 101 Mystery #6)
  • High Anxiety (Crazy, #3)
  • The Study of Murder (Muirteach MacPhee Mystery)
  • Fool's Errand  (Fool's Odyssey #1)
Author Tori Carrington is the penname of husband and wife writing team Lori and Tony Karayianni.

Hands down, penning a bio is always the most difficult writing challenge we take on. What do we say? What do we keep a secret? Considering we've been writing together for over twenty-two years...well, that reveals more about us than anything you'll likely read here. We're fiction writers simply because...more
More about Tori Carrington...
Sofie Metropolis (Sofie Metropolis, #1) Foul Play (Sofie Metropolis, #3) Working Stiff (Sofie Metropolis, #4) Shameless Love Bites (Sofie Metropolis, #5)