The Hockey Sweater and Other Stories

The Hockey Sweater and Other Stories

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  44 ratings  ·  6 reviews
The title story, about the Quebec boy who is shipped a Toronto Maple Leafs sweater by mistake, has become a Christmas favorite. Also included are nineteen other tales of a childhood in a Quebec village. The Hockey Sweater is now an award-winning National Film Board film. This is Roch Carrier at his best!
Published November 1st 1979 by House of Anansi Press

To ask other readers questions about The Hockey Sweater and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hockey Sweater and Other Stories

James
I often times find it difficult to really rave about a set of short stories. It's not that I don't respect the writers or the medium, I just have little tolerance for the "Aha!" moment which most short stories seem to strive for. Within the last lines of nearly every short story these days, there is the tangible effort by the author to say, "See? See how clever I am? The pencil sharpener isn't a pencil sharpener, it's the little girl's need for a father! Praise be unto me for this unexpected end...more
Dorothy
I had always heard of the "Hockey Sweater" story and as a Montreal Canadians fan, I felt his pain. I had never read any of Roch Carrier's other works. I totally enjoy him and now am working my way through 4 more books by him, translated by Sheila Fischman. A wonderful author - I love his humour.
Bessy
The Hockey Sweater and Other Stories chronicles an interesting childhood in French Canada. Watch out for the recurrence of the best friend Lapin and several monsieurs who feed the curiosities of our narrator. At the end of the book, Roch Carrier only proves that even the simplistic eyes like that of a child's come the most profound views on life.
Brad Czepiel
Great stories/essays about growing up in rural Canada, where hockey, church, and family undergird life - but plenty of moral and physical mysteries/discoveries inspire our young narrator, who now looks back on those days. Fun, fast, and substantial.
SixBeforeLunch
I enjoyed this a lot. The stories are very short, but powerfully written. I only wish I'd been able to read it in the original French instead of translated. I always feel like I'm losing a part of the experience when I read translated literature.
Lesley
Short stories, fun read, despite him being a Habs fan.
Sydney Stype
Sydney Stype marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Karina Kuo
Karina Kuo marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Heloíza Montenegro
Heloíza Montenegro marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
Gina Rios
Gina Rios marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2014
Philippe
Philippe marked it as to-read
May 10, 2014
Zinzw
Zinzw marked it as to-read
May 06, 2014
Lauren Doggett
Lauren Doggett marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2014
Tim Locer
Tim Locer marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2014
Beth Walsh
Beth Walsh marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2014
Braden Young
Braden Young marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2014
Misha
Misha marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2013
Bob
Bob marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Roch Carrier, OC is a Canadian novelist, playwright and author of "contes" (a very brief form of the short story). He is among the best known Quebec writers in English Canada.

From 1994 to 1997, he served as head of the Canada Council. In 1998, he ran as an electoral candidate for the Quebec Liberal Party under Jean Charest, in the riding of Crémazie. He was defeated by 309 votes.

In 1991, he was ma...more
More about Roch Carrier...
The Hockey Sweater La Guerre, Yes Sir! Our Life with the Rocket: The Maurice Richard Story The Flying Canoe Prayers of a very wise child