Start by marking “Disturbed Ground” as Want to Read:
Disturbed Ground

Disturbed Ground

The author of the #1 New York Times bestseller PERFECT VICTIM returns with another true-crime thriller. Dorothea Puente ran a boarding house on F street in Sacramento, taking in the city's homeless. But when corpses were dug up in her garden, it became clear the "kind-hearted" landlady was, in fact, a psychotic killer.

Carla Norton is the author of the #1 New York Times bes
Published May 21st 2013 (first published June 21st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Disturbed Ground, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Disturbed Ground

Mauoijenn ~ *Mouthy Jenn* ~
This BITCH was crazy!
Very good true story of the days during this FEMALE serial killer. Very engrossing and full of interesting details. Excellent true crime book.
Stephanie
Interesting story of a little old lady who helped the down and out elderly alcoholics, older man and women who needed a place to live. She cooked, clean and made sure they took their medication on a regular bases. Some she helped by giving them to much medication and once they were died, buried them in her beautiful garden. She then continued to collect their ss, disability checks and so forth for several months after they were deceased. I really never figured out how she selected the ones in ...more
Kimberly Hicks
Mar 10, 2014 Kimberly Hicks rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: True-Crime Readers
Recommended to Kimberly by: Bookbub
Shelves: read-on-kindle
This was one incredible story about a little old lady, who reminded most of a grandmotherly figure, who had a dark side, literally, for she was convicted of killing three people out of nine. This case, like so many other true crimes I've read, begs the question, what exactly do juries actually listen to in a courtroom?

I cannot for the life of me figure out after having read, in great detail, the courtroom drama that unfolded, how the jurors felt Dorothea Puente wasn't guilty of murdering all nin
♥ Marlene♥
Netherlands on Sunday, April 22, 2007 I wrote:

Reading this book since a few days. nearly finished. Carla Norton is a very good writer.
I loved her other book Perfect Victim.
This book like that is written very well.
I must admit I became a bit bored because so much of the book was about the trial. The first part of the book is great though! Nearly finished reading the book. Just a few chapters to go.

eta finished it a few hours later. It was oke.

Velia
I'll be back to rate and review. I need to ponder about the case for a while. Well written book though.
Chetta
Feb 05, 2016 Chetta rated it really liked it
I didn't realize this was a true crime book when I first started reading. I was impressed with the way the author was able to take all the facts from this case and turn it into an interesting read. There might have been an overload at the end with the trial but it was a true representation of how that trial was presented with months of testimony, witnesses, and experts. Fact can be stranger than fiction as this book very clearly shows.
Paulette Sauerbrei
Mar 07, 2014 Paulette Sauerbrei rated it really liked it
INTERESTING AND INFORMATIVE

INTERESTING AND INFORMATIVE

I chose this rating because it was a good book and the author did a good job of relating the story of a very troubled woman and the sad end for her victims.
Debbie Darol
Jan 02, 2012 Debbie Darol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good except too much of the courtroom. Based on the book, I'm afraid I would have had a shadow of a doubt about her killing any that were found in the yard.
Mary Virginia
Jul 17, 2014 Mary Virginia rated it it was amazing
Such a horrific topic, yet...

... so beautifully written. Carla has a wonderful grasp of language and really brings the reader into the story. I couldn't put the book down.
Hillary
Feb 14, 2013 Hillary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book blew my mind!!! You just never know with people, even if they are sweet older people.........great writing and kept a fast pace while reading. Could not put down!
Patricia Atkinson
Jul 31, 2015 Patricia Atkinson rated it it was amazing
the story of a little old lady that killed the people whom boarded at her home for their money and buried them in her garden.......
Amanda
Jul 21, 2015 Amanda rated it liked it
Found this book really interesting but the court case was too drawn out and I lost interest and flipped to the verdict.
Beth Tidman
Jul 13, 2015 Beth Tidman rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
This was a very good book. There was a lot of information and details to keep track of and was therefore not a fast read. Highly recommend, especially for anyone who likes true crime novels.
LInda L
Mar 05, 2016 LInda L rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Chillilng account of a serial killer -- a not so young woman. WAY too much about the trial -- the book just went on and on and on. Fair.
Jennifer Lynn
Jennifer Lynn rated it really liked it
Sep 01, 2016
Lori Mangan
Lori Mangan rated it liked it
Aug 23, 2014
Connie Munsell
Connie Munsell rated it it was amazing
Sep 21, 2014
H.
H. rated it really liked it
May 26, 2016
Angie
Angie rated it really liked it
Jun 18, 2014
Laura rated it it was ok
Mar 10, 2016
Ed Sheedy
Ed Sheedy rated it liked it
Nov 30, 2015
Deb
Deb rated it liked it
Aug 16, 2015
Elyssa
Elyssa rated it really liked it
Apr 22, 2014
Shannon
Shannon rated it really liked it
Oct 11, 2014
Mary Holly
Mary Holly rated it did not like it
Dec 19, 2015
Odalys
Odalys rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2014
Jill Bessette
Jill Bessette rated it liked it
Dec 03, 2014
Sarah rated it really liked it
Nov 21, 2016
Carli
Carli rated it liked it
Nov 19, 2011
Rosemary Aitken
Rosemary Aitken rated it it was amazing
Oct 24, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Son of a Grifter: The Twisted Tale of Sante and Kenny Kimes, the Most Notorious Con Artists in America: A Memoir By The Other Son
  • The 4 O'Clock Murders: The True Story of a Mormon Family's Vengeance
  • Every Move You Make
  • No, Daddy, Don't!: A Father's Murderous Act of Revenge
  • Lobster Boy: The Bizarre Life and Brutal Death of Grady Stiles Jr.
  • Careless Whispers
  • Once Upon a Time: A True Tale of Memory
  • Predator
  • Without a Trace: The Disappearance of Amy Billig -- A Mother's Search for Justice
  • Every Last Tie: The Story of the Unabomber and His Family
  • A Love To Die For
  • On the Farm
  • The Confessions of an American Black Widow: A True Story of Greed, Lust and a Murderous Wife
  • Wasted
  • House of Evil
  • Someone's Daughter
  • Beyond Belief: The Moors Murderers. The Story of Ian Brady and Myra Hindley.
  • Manson: The Unholy Trail of Charles and the Family: The Unholy Trail of Charlie and the Family
"Is my fiction inspired by true events? Absolutely."

When a shocking criminal case first hit headlines, Carla wedged herself between reporters and sketch artists to cover the trial. She later wrote PERFECT VICTIM with the prosecutor, and it made the FBI's Behavioral Sciences Unit reading list and became a #1 New York Times bestseller.

Carla's fiction is fueled by that true story. Reeve, her heroin
More about Carla Norton...