Start by marking “The Struggle is My Life” as Want to Read:
The Struggle is My Life

The Struggle is My Life

4.37 of 5 stars 4.37  ·  rating details  ·  76 ratings  ·  3 reviews
Nelson Mandela's speeches and political writings from his days as a leader of the African National Congress Youth League in 1944 until his release from prison in 1990.
Hardcover
Published December 31st 1990 by Pathfinder Press (NY) (first published 1978)

Jim
Jan 07, 2014 Jim marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition

“Those who prefer abstractions or empty phrases, or fanciful—supposedly political—ideas, would do best to avoid this book, because Nelson Mandela is not a Quixotic fighter of windmills and imaginary monsters but a man who is fighting the bitter reality of the apartheid monster that is destroying the essence of his own beloved people, in the same way that colonialism is destroying the essence of my own people. In this book we meet an idealist with his feet firmly planted in the earth.”—Rafael Can
Jen
Too much information for my brain to handle. Really good, just, hard for me to follow...

I am sure someone with law background would love the detailed speeches and letters.
Sergio GRANDE films
This book was published more than a decade before Madiba was released and it is a collection of his speeches.
For many of us it was the only source of information to gain some insight into the character of this man whom we didn't know. We didn't know if he was ever going to be released; if he'd come out blood-thirsty screaming for revenge; if he'd be politically active or even compos mentis.
Getting this book in South Africa was nay impossible; getting caught with it was a sure stay behind bars.
Dezare Thomas
Dezare Thomas marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
Katlego
Katlego marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
Suzanna Hanafy
Suzanna Hanafy marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
Cecilia
Cecilia marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
Smriti Singhal
Smriti Singhal is currently reading it
May 14, 2015
Valeria Piedra
Valeria Piedra marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
Anupama
Anupama marked it as to-read
May 09, 2015
Tarek Dawah
Tarek Dawah marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Mohamed Deen
Mohamed Deen marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2015
Muhammad Affan
Muhammad Affan marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2015
Samah
Samah marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
timothy keller
timothy keller marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
David Kiley
David Kiley marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Kelebogile Kels
Kelebogile Kels marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
Ahmed Ibrahim
Ahmed Ibrahim marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
Ysabel Diaz
Ysabel Diaz marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
Pleasure
Pleasure marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
Andy
Andy marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2015
Logan
Logan marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
Amit
Amit marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
  • Mandela: The Authorised Biography
  • Twenty Letters to a Friend
  • Eight Days in September - The Removal of Thabo Mbeki
  • Part of My Soul Went with Him
  • Sons of Wichita: How the Koch Brothers Became America's Most Powerful and Private Dynasty
  • Tales From a Troubled Land
  • Some of My Best Friends are White: Subversive Thoughts from an Urban Zulu Warrior
  • No Turning Back: A Novel of South Africa
  • Rabble-Rouser for Peace: The Authorized Biography of Desmond Tutu
  • You Can't Get Lost in Cape Town
  • Mandela: The Authorized Portrait
  • Violence and Social Orders: A Conceptual Framework for Interpreting Recorded Human History
  • After Freedom: The Rise of the Post-Apartheid Generation in Democratic South Africa
  • Waiting for the Wild Beasts to Vote
  • A History of South Africa
  • Thank You for the Days: A Boy's Own Adventures in Radio and Beyond
  • Miriam's Song: A Memoir
  • Mafeking Road: and Other Stories
Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela was a former President of South Africa, the first to be elected in a fully representative democratic election, who held office from 1994–99.

Before his presidency, Mandela was an anti-apartheid activist, and the leader of the African National Congress's armed wing Umkhonto we Sizwe. The South African courts convicted him on charges of sabotage, as well as other crimes com
More about Nelson Mandela...
Long Walk to Freedom Conversations With Myself Nelson Mandela's Favorite African Folktales No Easy Walk to Freedom Long Walk To Freedom (Volume 1: 1918-1962)