East and West: The Last Governor of Hong Kong on Power, Freedom and the Future

East and West: The Last Governor of Hong Kong on Power, Freedom and the Future

3.3 of 5 stars 3.30  ·  rating details  ·  105 ratings  ·  11 reviews
'Patten's East and West is a must for anyone who wants to understand the forces that will shape the world of the 21st century.' New York Times
Published September 10th 1999 by MacMillan General Books (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about East and West, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about East and West

Ed
May 23, 2009 Ed rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in Hong Kong or Asia.
When my wife, Pam, and I first moved, more or less permanently to Hong Kong, Chris Patten was the newly appointed and last Governor. I think we both missed much of the drama that was evident in the five years he was here. We were too focused on our jobs and figuring out how to live in this incredible city.

Reading his memoir and advice, 12 years after the handover and 10 years after publication of this book, was a much needed trip down memory lane and a much needed reminder of how China operates...more
Dozo
While it's easy to pick faults with a book written fifteen years ago, much of what Patten writes regarding the West, Asia/China and world politics is as resounding as it was the day the ink touched the page.

His experiences dealing with China up to and during the handover are exceptionally interesting (with the Chinese basically doing a lot of backhanded stuff), however it's his opinions in the second to last chapter that really should be read by all Western people in politics.

One key message is...more
Jessica L.
Great book! If you want to learn about China's development to a capitalist economy and its industrialization while navigating away from a strictly communist method while discovering the birthplace of today's Hong Kong this is a good novel to read. Powell gives historical perspective from his tenure without disrupting delicate relationships within the global Political and Religious environments.
Diana
Ten years after the Hong Kong Handover I decided to read Chris Patten’s East and West, written after he left Hong Kong in 1997. Interesting, but difficult to say whether it was good or not as it’s so dated. It felt like he was going on and on about things that were obvious, like why capitalism is superior to socialism. But this was pre-Blairism and I suppose these arguments did need to be spelt out. He’s extremely critical of China, and I do like his plainspoken style. The Tiananmen killings are...more
Emma
Being the last govenor of Hong Kong Chis Patten is in the perfect position to analyse the way in which the Chinese govenrment functions and the way the rest of the international community kowtow's to them even while grumbling about their human rights practices. What makes this book more remarkable is that China tried to prevent it from being published by putting pressure on media groups who also wanted to break into the Chinese market. It is with great relief that it was produced as the insights...more
John
Thought, at one stage, that Chris Patten may have become a leader of the Tory Party. Also thought he was a reasonable sort of bloke. But it turns out that he was pretty much like most Tories - a stuck up tosser that only cares for those with money or those making it.
Casper Gasper
the first quarter deals with patted's stint as governor of Hong Kong, and this part is indeed fascinating. the remainder of the book however deals with his political values and this is far less interesting - possibly because I completely agree with them :-)
Mark
Interesting perspective on Hong Kong during the handover period when Chris Patten - Last Governor was at the helm.

He was not the most loved fella by the Chinese at the time, but this account is worth a read.
Paul
Whilst obviously dated, I like Patten's style and his description of the political issues that he faced in his tenure was an interesting accompaniment to a trip to HK.
Jake
Probably the best book on East/West market relationships and Asian economies I will ever read. Probably the only one I will ever read too.
Jolyon
I wanted to like this book, but find that, surprisingly, Patten really cannot write very well.
Znapper
Znapper marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Aaron Mak
Aaron Mak marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Edward
Edward marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Harswet
Harswet marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Britt
Britt marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
May 22, 2014
Jonathan
Jonathan marked it as to-read
May 04, 2014
Barry
Barry added it
Apr 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Not Quite the Diplomat: Home Truths about World Affairs What Next? Cousins and Strangers: America, Britain, and Europe in a New Century Hong Kong: Transition Hong Kong: A Thousand days and beyond