The Big Moo: Stop Trying to Be Perfect and Start Being Remarkable

The Big Moo: Stop Trying to Be Perfect and Start Being Remarkable

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  1,308 ratings  ·  91 reviews
Most organizations are stuck in a rut. On one hand, they understand all the good things that will come with growth. On the other, they're petrified that growth means change, and change means risk, and risk means death. Nobody wants to screw up and ruin a good thing, so most companies (and individuals) just keep trying to be perfect at the things they've always done.

In 20...more
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published January 1st 2005 by Tantor Media

To ask other readers questions about The Big Moo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Big Moo

David
sweet lord Mother of God, what was I thinking? Hard to imagine that there's a worse insult to the intelligence out there than the 'Who Moved my Cheese?' scam, but this book may just qualify.

I may actually burn this book, in some kind of ritual immolation sacrifice.

Updated Feb 15th. I posted the following, more detailed review on Amazon.com. Only to receive a creepy e-mail from Seth Godin, the editor, offering me a refund of the purchase price. I declined.

I don't know what came over me in the b...more
Daniel Swensen
I wanted to like this book, because overall I think Seth Godin is brilliant. I enjoyed the first half of The Big Moo, but after that it became something of a chore to read, even at its short length. Too many of the anecdotes are the same message, dressed up in parable:

"Here's the story of So-and-so, who did something amazing and invented $foo when $foo didn't exist. And that's what you have to do, because your competition invented $foo yesterday and tomorrow $foo will be obsolete and meaningles...more
Roland
33 successful people, 33 short writings.
All good advices on what to do or what not to do - how to be remarkable, how not to disappear, why you should never stop improving.

As usual, the book itself won't explain why the ideas would work for you.
But the people who wrote them are pretty successful people, and that would validate their points.
Unless your definition of success differs, in that case, you can disregard the advices.

And if you want a short summary of the book, here it is:
Work hard, be b...more
Ronald Widha
What I didn't know was this book is actually a compilation of 33 authors, which includes Malcolm Gladwell, Guy Kawasaki and Seth himself. Some piece are stronger than others, while there are a few that are terribly weak and non-inspiring. It's difficult to enjoy this book due to its nature. There's no continuity between the chapters, and some barely stick to the theme.

Regardless, the book is for a good cause. All profit goes to charity. If you are looking for a book to get started to read up on...more
Emma
Trying to read a lot of business books to kick start my business for next year. This one just left me a little confused with small snippits of advice mixed in with stories. Some of the mantras were ok, but practice, practice, practice? Um yeah my mum told me that in year 3 (and always take time to read the questions in an exam, surprisingly that is the best advice I think I was given all the way through high school and Uni...) I read this instead of the purple cow as it isn't available at the mo...more
Socialbookshelves.com
The Big Moo is interesting for a Godin book because it builds on the lessons and the success of one of his previous titles, Purple Cow. In that book, Seth explained how your product needed to stand out from the crowd, to be a purple cow in a field of brown cows – here, he teams up with 33 of the world’s most iconic business thinkers to show you how to get that purple cow to do a big moo, to be remarkable and to stand out from your crowded field (pun intended).

While this isn’t necessarily a joine...more
Micah Elliott
The Big Moo feels like a collection of blog posts from several thinkers that have gained Godin's attention, a merit which speaks for itself. I love the idea of forming books around small, cohesive articles based on a theme; I wish there were more of these. This one's theme basically is "think differently and be inspired." It's worthy of going back to whenever you get into a rut. Things that stand out about this book:

* unique and varied writing styles
* short and sweet
* concision -- not enough spa...more
Melissa Jill
I have something slightly embarrassing to admit. When I ordered this book online, I saw the purple cow and I thought I was ordering Seth Godin's book Purple Cow. Could the title BE any larger on the cover?? Oh well. I still haven't read Purple Cow but I have now read The Big Moo.

The book was edited by Seth Godin and written by "33 of the world's smartest business thinkers." The book is a compilation of short, anecdotal chapters and, although the 33 names of the authors are on the cover, they ar...more
Haider Al-Mosawi
This book is a collection of essays from a number of authors, including Seth Godin, Malcolm Gladwell, Guy Kawasaki and Tom Peters.

I find Seth's books to be very inspirational and his other books like The Dip, Tribes, Permission Marketing and Linchpin offer extremely valuable ideas.

He doesn't believe in offering step-by-step guides or a map for readers to follow, because - to him - that defeats the point of leadership: there is no map and you can't be told what to do.

The Big Moo challenges reader...more
Jordan Castillo Price
This group of short essays on being remarkable varies greatly in content, tone and style. Some essays were merely lists of big business vs. small entrepreneur, and many applied more to people who have to deal with corporate culture much more than I do. But because all the essays were short and self-contained, it didn't matter if all of them "spoke" to me equally. If one essay didn't seem to fit my needs, the next one likely did.

One essay in particular about discussing the weather with strangers...more
Muhammad
Best Selling Author Seth Godin returns with a compilation of essays written by 33 specially selected authors. They include Tom Peters, Malcolm Gladwell, Robert Kiyosaki and Allan Webber.

And they all have a special message for the marketer : the market is getting crowded and it takes a very special quality to be noticed by today's consumers. You can say that the title is very much a spin off of Godin's preceding book titled the purple cow where the author has the exact same message.

Each essay is...more
Michael
The book could best be described as an extended blog on marketing ideas illustrated with case studies. As a book for bathroom reading, it's great. But it's tiring to listen to in an extended sitting (e.g., on your way to work). Also, because there are so many different authors (33 in all), there's no continuity in the writing. As one critic pointed out, some of the ideas are even contradictory! That wouldn't be a problem if the authors were identified, but unfortunately they're not. So the reade...more
Tim Cigelske
This is a motivational/big picture business book written by 33 people picked by marketing demigod Seth Godin. None of the writers identified their work or took any money for the project (everything went to charity). Most of the chapters are a page or two of anecdotes that illustrate a larger idea, all under the call to action "stop trying to be perfect and start being remarkable." It's easily digestible and you could read a chapter a day or blow through it all very quickly. Have a pen and paper...more
Maria K.
The title "The Big Moo" and the premise of the Purple Cow may seem a bit flippant and immature for a serious book about innovation... until you start reading it... and reading it... and reading it some more. Before you know it, you will have a notepad out, scribbling like mad trying to capture all the fantastic quotes from the book and your own ideas that the books had inspired.

It works great for a group struggling with the brainstorming process, to jump-start your own brain or just to give you...more
Jon
This book is a fun little group of ideas to get you out of a marketing rut.

No, it doesn’t include any actual strategy and yes, it was written by many different authors so some of the ideas conflict with each other, but that’s really the point. When I’ve been in a rut for ideas, the best way to refresh myself is to change my way of thinking about things. It’s not always pleasant and sometimes concepts will butt heads, but that’s the marketing process.

It’s not the MBA in a box, but it is inspirin...more
Mark Sena
A bunch of ideas that continually conflict, with barely a trace of cohesive thought. Still, it's hard not to learn something, no matter how hard I tried. The editor/curator himself states that there is no single secret to success, and at the same time there are myriad of them.

There are some good things to take away from this book, but for the price you're better off borrowing a copy or having someone photo copy the choice parts--like the editor authorizes and suggests in the beginning of the boo...more
Danielle
I agreed to read this book reluctantly, based on a friend's recommendation. I didn't want any part of any business/marketing/self-helpy kind of stuff. But I LOVED it. What a great surprise. Recommended for anyone who is looking for a little professional inspiration, new marketing or business ideas, or just a breath of fresh air should read it. Short simple essays by some of the best thinkers in the business gave me a much-needed shot in the arm.
Travis Bogard
May 08, 2008 Travis Bogard rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone that is responsible for some part of the product process (product, finance, sales, etc.)
Really good book when you want to articulate the "IT" that makes great product organizations and people versus normal ones. As in "They just get it".

Great format of 1 to 2 page chapters that each tell a story as a means to explain the point. Great book to highlight and keep on the shelf for reference in the future. Book comes with free copyright allowing you to photo copy and share stories within your organization.
Chad
This book was written by Seth Godin and thirty-two of the world's greatest thinkers. "The Group of 33," as they call themselves, has written a book that is both informative and inspirational. The book was written in small blog-style chapters that can be read very quickly. I definitely suggest reading this book. And, the best part, 100% of the author royalties go to three great charities.
Devin Partlow
Imagine a book written by Seth Godin, Malcolm Gladwell, Tom Peters, Guy Kawasaki, and 28 other outstanding authors... now stop, because this book is a reality... and it only get 3.5 stars.

Its got some good stuff in it, but it doesn't quite flow and some of the parts even contradict other parts. Godin even admits he doesn't agree with everything written in the book, but its worth the read.
Cara
I can't tell yet whether this book is inspiring or just tiring.

...

Ok, I've figured it out: tiring.

This book is about how to make the company you run be all awesome and cutting-edge in your field by reinventing the field, or inventing a new field, or something. Except for the other parts that say quit chasing ghosts and just do what you do best.

I'm done.
Jim Serger
The last page nails it-- I will not share, because I thought the book was awesome to say the least, and I recommend you buy, share, or check it out if the library--either way read this little book. I enjoy the authors humor, honesty, zest for achieving more with the talents we are given. 5 stars, read it, grow and never adapt, be you, be great, be amazing.
Joseph
The Big Moo is a compilation of advice articles from several business and thought leaders. They read like commencement speeches or short pieces from sidebars. While there are some jewels, many articles come off as trite, simplistic, or filler. This practice dilutes the book as a whole and makes it a chore for the reader to find anything useful to glean.
Jlhuyser
Seth Godin reads this -- his voice is okay, but has an affect that gets to me after a while. Many authors, done for charity. Kind of like Chicken Soup for innovation/getting off your duff and doing something good. I would like to know which author wrote which snippet.
Some good thoughts -- not exactly a must-read. I doubt I'll be quoting it.
Mohammed alkindy
i nice motivating book, authors are trying to motivating you to stop being ordinary and begin to be remarkable. they help to see the strength in you till you almost believe you are a superman. the surrounding we live in is so depressing sometimes we need some one to remind us that we can still be genius in our own way.
David Hooper
This is a great book. It's about 30 short essays by different "thought leaders" with suggestions on how to be innovative/remarkable. Really good stuff that is quick to read and will leave you thinking. Definitely worth a buy for entrepreneurs or anybody who wants to make more money and affect people in a positive way.
Jan
Amazing book. It's a collection of 33 stories from different authors. Those are often very inspirational and this, I think, is what makes the book so good. It brings a lot of ideas and as every chapter brings it's author's own view of remarkableness everyone should find stories that are most compelling to him.
Angie
All-over-the-place. It reminded me what I don't like about business books.

Also, highly annoying that he doesn't tell you who wrote what. Without that, it's hard to take any of the tips seriously as you have no context for where the writer's background.

Even though it's short, don't waste your time.
Melita
It's exciting! Can't wait to finish it...some of the writing are not even straight prose. It's written in play script, in a question and answer type, but I found a lot of the case studies useful too. There's a lot of voices here, as this is written by 33 people, but Alas! It's good voices.
  • Free Prize Inside: The Next Big Marketing Idea
  • Word of Mouth Marketing: How Smart Companies Get People Talking
  • Six Pixels of Separation: Everyone Is Connected. Connect Your Business to Everyone.
  • The Guerrilla Marketing Handbook
  • Love Is the Killer App: How to Win Business and Influence Friends
  • Duct Tape Marketing: The World's Most Practical Small Business Marketing Guide
  • Reality Check: The Irreverent Guide to Outsmarting, Outmanaging, and Outmarketing Your Competition
  • Small Giants: Companies That Choose to Be Great Instead of Big
  • Unmarketing: Stop Marketing. Start Engaging.