Start by marking “The Big Moo: Stop Trying to Be Perfect and Start Being Remarkable” as Want to Read:
The Big Moo: Stop Trying to Be Perfect and Start Being Remarkable

The Big Moo: Stop Trying to Be Perfect and Start Being Remarkable

3.79  ·  Rating Details ·  2,134 Ratings  ·  121 Reviews
Most organizations are stuck in a rut. On one hand, they understand all the good things that will come with growth. On the other, they're petrified that growth means change, and change means risk, and risk means death. Nobody wants to screw up and ruin a good thing, so most companies (and individuals) just keep trying to be perfect at the things they've always done.

In 20
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published January 1st 2005 by Tantor Media

To ask other readers questions about The Big Moo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Big Moo

David
sweet lord Mother of God, what was I thinking? Hard to imagine that there's a worse insult to the intelligence out there than the 'Who Moved my Cheese?' scam, but this book may just qualify.

I may actually burn this book, in some kind of ritual immolation sacrifice.

Updated Feb 15th. I posted the following, more detailed review on Amazon.com. Only to receive a creepy e-mail from Seth Godin, the editor, offering me a refund of the purchase price. I declined.

I don't know what came over me in the b
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
Attending a work convention, I didn't know what to expect. Seth Godin was one of the presenters. He was dynamic, energetic and motivating. Based on his "Purple Cow" talk, one of my co-workers recommended I read the Big Moo. I wish I read this book ten years ago. Many of the concepts in this book were hard learned lessons through my experiences. Then again, if I read this ten years ago, would I have really paid close attention to what he said or just scoffed?

The good part is that most of his witt
Gisela Hausmann
Originally I rented this book’s audio edition from my library so I could listen to it while exercising. Loved the book so much that I purchased the hardcover.

This may be Seth Godin’s best book , even better than the ‘purple cow’. And, yes, It is Godin’s book because he conceived the idea and talked all 33 (or better: 32 + himself) into writing this book.

The book’s concept is a genius. The topic is the Big Moo, which cannot be defined by one single person. The Big Moo is not a riddle but the fl
Daniel Swensen
I wanted to like this book, because overall I think Seth Godin is brilliant. I enjoyed the first half of The Big Moo, but after that it became something of a chore to read, even at its short length. Too many of the anecdotes are the same message, dressed up in parable:

"Here's the story of So-and-so, who did something amazing and invented $foo when $foo didn't exist. And that's what you have to do, because your competition invented $foo yesterday and tomorrow $foo will be obsolete and meaningles
Roland
Jul 28, 2009 Roland rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
33 successful people, 33 short writings.
All good advices on what to do or what not to do - how to be remarkable, how not to disappear, why you should never stop improving.

As usual, the book itself won't explain why the ideas would work for you.
But the people who wrote them are pretty successful people, and that would validate their points.
Unless your definition of success differs, in that case, you can disregard the advices.

And if you want a short summary of the book, here it is:
Work hard, be b
Ronald Widha
Sep 26, 2010 Ronald Widha rated it it was ok
What I didn't know was this book is actually a compilation of 33 authors, which includes Malcolm Gladwell, Guy Kawasaki and Seth himself. Some piece are stronger than others, while there are a few that are terribly weak and non-inspiring. It's difficult to enjoy this book due to its nature. There's no continuity between the chapters, and some barely stick to the theme.

Regardless, the book is for a good cause. All profit goes to charity. If you are looking for a book to get started to read up on
Emma
Trying to read a lot of business books to kick start my business for next year. This one just left me a little confused with small snippits of advice mixed in with stories. Some of the mantras were ok, but practice, practice, practice? Um yeah my mum told me that in year 3 (and always take time to read the questions in an exam, surprisingly that is the best advice I think I was given all the way through high school and Uni...) I read this instead of the purple cow as it isn't available at the mo ...more
Melissa Jill
May 17, 2010 Melissa Jill rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
I have something slightly embarrassing to admit. When I ordered this book online, I saw the purple cow and I thought I was ordering Seth Godin's book Purple Cow. Could the title BE any larger on the cover?? Oh well. I still haven't read Purple Cow but I have now read The Big Moo.

The book was edited by Seth Godin and written by "33 of the world's smartest business thinkers." The book is a compilation of short, anecdotal chapters and, although the 33 names of the authors are on the cover, they ar
Haider Al-Mosawi
Mar 30, 2011 Haider Al-Mosawi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a collection of essays from a number of authors, including Seth Godin, Malcolm Gladwell, Guy Kawasaki and Tom Peters.

I find Seth's books to be very inspirational and his other books like The Dip, Tribes, Permission Marketing and Linchpin offer extremely valuable ideas.

He doesn't believe in offering step-by-step guides or a map for readers to follow, because - to him - that defeats the point of leadership: there is no map and you can't be told what to do.

The Big Moo challenges reader
Micah Elliott
Jan 05, 2009 Micah Elliott rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Big Moo feels like a collection of blog posts from several thinkers that have gained Godin's attention, a merit which speaks for itself. I love the idea of forming books around small, cohesive articles based on a theme; I wish there were more of these. This one's theme basically is "think differently and be inspired." It's worthy of going back to whenever you get into a rut. Things that stand out about this book:

* unique and varied writing styles
* short and sweet
* concision -- not enough spa
Szymon
Jan 04, 2016 Szymon rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookshelf
No niestety, to nie jest wielkie muuuu, ale wielkie buuuuu. Przyznam uczciwie, że spodziewałem się czegoś więcej po tej książce, samo nazwisko Setha Godina dawało nadzieję, że lektura będzie godna poświęconego jej czasu. Tak się jednak nie stało. Ta książka to w rzeczywistości zbiór artykułów autorstwa 33 osób. Artykułów niestety bardzo przeciętnych. Niektóre z nich próbują być "oryginalne", przybierają groteskową formę. Być może jest oryginalnie, ale i śmiesznie (w negatywnym tego słowa znaczen ...more
Dane Cobain
Aug 25, 2014 Dane Cobain rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Big Moo is interesting for a Godin book because it builds on the lessons and the success of one of his previous titles, Purple Cow. In that book, Seth explained how your product needed to stand out from the crowd, to be a purple cow in a field of brown cows – here, he teams up with 33 of the world’s most iconic business thinkers to show you how to get that purple cow to do a big moo, to be remarkable and to stand out from your crowded field (pun intended).

While this isn’t necessarily a joine
Muhammad
Jun 11, 2010 Muhammad rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Best Selling Author Seth Godin returns with a compilation of essays written by 33 specially selected authors. They include Tom Peters, Malcolm Gladwell, Robert Kiyosaki and Allan Webber.

And they all have a special message for the marketer : the market is getting crowded and it takes a very special quality to be noticed by today's consumers. You can say that the title is very much a spin off of Godin's preceding book titled the purple cow where the author has the exact same message.

Each essay is
Michael
The book could best be described as an extended blog on marketing ideas illustrated with case studies. As a book for bathroom reading, it's great. But it's tiring to listen to in an extended sitting (e.g., on your way to work). Also, because there are so many different authors (33 in all), there's no continuity in the writing. As one critic pointed out, some of the ideas are even contradictory! That wouldn't be a problem if the authors were identified, but unfortunately they're not. So the reade ...more
Jordan Price
Jul 21, 2010 Jordan Price rated it really liked it
This group of short essays on being remarkable varies greatly in content, tone and style. Some essays were merely lists of big business vs. small entrepreneur, and many applied more to people who have to deal with corporate culture much more than I do. But because all the essays were short and self-contained, it didn't matter if all of them "spoke" to me equally. If one essay didn't seem to fit my needs, the next one likely did.

One essay in particular about discussing the weather with strangers
Jon
Nov 17, 2008 Jon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a fun little group of ideas to get you out of a marketing rut.

No, it doesn’t include any actual strategy and yes, it was written by many different authors so some of the ideas conflict with each other, but that’s really the point. When I’ve been in a rut for ideas, the best way to refresh myself is to change my way of thinking about things. It’s not always pleasant and sometimes concepts will butt heads, but that’s the marketing process.

It’s not the MBA in a box, but it is inspirin
Maria K.
Aug 15, 2011 Maria K. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-improvement
The title "The Big Moo" and the premise of the Purple Cow may seem a bit flippant and immature for a serious book about innovation... until you start reading it... and reading it... and reading it some more. Before you know it, you will have a notepad out, scribbling like mad trying to capture all the fantastic quotes from the book and your own ideas that the books had inspired.

It works great for a group struggling with the brainstorming process, to jump-start your own brain or just to give you
Ben Willmore
Aug 29, 2014 Ben Willmore rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
I listened to the whole audiobook and enjoyed a few of the "chapters", but found most of them to be too light on useful info, too story-based, of then without a usable point and I just wished I would have listed to something else since I can't remember any of the useful parts because they only took up maybe 2% of the book. If it was a print book, at least I could have highlighted the good stuff and then could use it in the future.

I generally like Seth Godin books and his Linchpin is a must read
Mark Sena
A bunch of ideas that continually conflict, with barely a trace of cohesive thought. Still, it's hard not to learn something, no matter how hard I tried. The editor/curator himself states that there is no single secret to success, and at the same time there are myriad of them.

There are some good things to take away from this book, but for the price you're better off borrowing a copy or having someone photo copy the choice parts--like the editor authorizes and suggests in the beginning of the boo
Tim Cigelske
Dec 26, 2008 Tim Cigelske rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a motivational/big picture business book written by 33 people picked by marketing demigod Seth Godin. None of the writers identified their work or took any money for the project (everything went to charity). Most of the chapters are a page or two of anecdotes that illustrate a larger idea, all under the call to action "stop trying to be perfect and start being remarkable." It's easily digestible and you could read a chapter a day or blow through it all very quickly. Have a pen and paper ...more
Travis Bogard
May 08, 2008 Travis Bogard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone that is responsible for some part of the product process (product, finance, sales, etc.)
Really good book when you want to articulate the "IT" that makes great product organizations and people versus normal ones. As in "They just get it".

Great format of 1 to 2 page chapters that each tell a story as a means to explain the point. Great book to highlight and keep on the shelf for reference in the future. Book comes with free copyright allowing you to photo copy and share stories within your organization.
Ana Luisa Henriques
Um livro simples e, ao mesmo tempo, tão profundo. Grandes verdades de pequenos textos ou como pode ser tão simples facilitar a vida a nós mesmos e ser bem sucedidos... sempre tentando sair da curva do "normal" e passar a pertencer a uma das pontas, a do ser "notável", sem medos!

Um livro interessante, que se lê num instante e com quase todos os textos a terem frases com que se pode aprender muito!
Danielle
I agreed to read this book reluctantly, based on a friend's recommendation. I didn't want any part of any business/marketing/self-helpy kind of stuff. But I LOVED it. What a great surprise. Recommended for anyone who is looking for a little professional inspiration, new marketing or business ideas, or just a breath of fresh air should read it. Short simple essays by some of the best thinkers in the business gave me a much-needed shot in the arm.
Henrik Akselsen
It's like a book of zen stories, just for business.

If you read it as an attempt at a coherent text, you'll not get much out of it, since the authors contradict each others advice repeatedly.

As an audiobook this works better, since your attention can be more scattered. Each new idea has nothing to do with the previous, so you can just keep going.

People who study this book in detail should just stop. Buy more books instead.
Jan
Apr 14, 2008 Jan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing book. It's a collection of 33 stories from different authors. Those are often very inspirational and this, I think, is what makes the book so good. It brings a lot of ideas and as every chapter brings it's author's own view of remarkableness everyone should find stories that are most compelling to him.
Devin Partlow
Imagine a book written by Seth Godin, Malcolm Gladwell, Tom Peters, Guy Kawasaki, and 28 other outstanding authors... now stop, because this book is a reality... and it only get 3.5 stars.

Its got some good stuff in it, but it doesn't quite flow and some of the parts even contradict other parts. Godin even admits he doesn't agree with everything written in the book, but its worth the read.
Angie
Dec 27, 2010 Angie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
All-over-the-place. It reminded me what I don't like about business books.

Also, highly annoying that he doesn't tell you who wrote what. Without that, it's hard to take any of the tips seriously as you have no context for where the writer's background.

Even though it's short, don't waste your time.
Emily
May 28, 2015 Emily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought it was particularly ingenious that the authors decided not to say who had written each of the articles. It was quite fun trying to guess who had which opinion. I loved their advice and look forward to implementing as much of it as I can in my professional and personal lives. I recommend this book.
Cara
I can't tell yet whether this book is inspiring or just tiring.

...

Ok, I've figured it out: tiring.

This book is about how to make the company you run be all awesome and cutting-edge in your field by reinventing the field, or inventing a new field, or something. Except for the other parts that say quit chasing ghosts and just do what you do best.

I'm done.
Mohammed alkindy
i nice motivating book, authors are trying to motivating you to stop being ordinary and begin to be remarkable. they help to see the strength in you till you almost believe you are a superman. the surrounding we live in is so depressing sometimes we need some one to remind us that we can still be genius in our own way.
  • Free Prize Inside!: The Next Big Marketing Idea
  • The Guerrilla Marketing Handbook
  • Personality Not Included: Why Companies Lose Their Authenticity and How Great Brands Get It Back
  • Word of Mouth Marketing: How Smart Companies Get People Talking
  • Six Pixels of Separation: Everyone Is Connected. Connect Your Business to Everyone.
  • Love Is the Killer App: How to Win Business and Influence Friends
  • The Project50 (Reinventing Work): Fifty Ways to Transform Every "Task" into a Project That Matters!
  • The Ultimate Marketing Plan: Find Your Hook. Communicate Your Message. Make Your Mark.
  • Book Yourself Solid: The Fastest, Easiest, and Most Reliable System for Getting More Clients Than You Can Handle Even If You Hate Marketing and Selling
  • Reality Check: The Irreverent Guide to Outsmarting, Outmanaging, and Outmarketing Your Competit ion