Start by marking “Gervase” as Want to Read:
Gervase

Gervase

Published 1970 by William Morrow

To ask other readers questions about Gervase, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gervase

Theresa C. C.
Nov 12, 2013 Theresa C. C. rated it it was amazing
I bought this book at a library sale, when I was in elementary school. I'm now many moons past my childhood, have moved several times-- and I still have this book.

The story is told first person, through the eyes of Maeve, an orphaned child raised by her grandparents and considered a bit strange. She finds more acceptance from Gervase, an orphaned stag fawn she raises, and the other animals of her Headland, than she finds among the townsfolk.

Her story is magical, in a daydream way, mythic and fab
Melody
Sep 15, 2007 Melody rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book a very long time ago, and I read it often enough that I could quote whole passages of it, but somehow I lost track of the book. The other day I remembered it so vividly that I started trying to find it. I'd forgotten the author's name, everything but the title. Nothing. Nowhere. Except a mention on the blog of The Contrary Goddess. I wrote to her and asked for the name of the author, and when she wrote back, I found that she and I were both spelling the title as "Gervaise". Once ...more
Rebekah
The reader of Gervase can experience a mental and spiritual epiphany in this touching story of the relationship between a strange girl and a wild stag who, together, discover a higher way of being. The great value of the book's message is that we can learn to transcend instincts that are destructive and replace these with constructive ways of being instead. We can master the "natural man."
Maggie Wolfe Riley
Maggie Wolfe Riley rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2010
Kiki
Kiki rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2017
Sara B.
Sara B. rated it liked it
Nov 19, 2016
Karen
Karen rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2009
Heidi
Heidi rated it liked it
Sep 26, 2015
Astraea
Astraea rated it it was amazing
Oct 30, 2011
Bette
Bette rated it it was ok
Jan 02, 2015
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was ok
Jul 18, 2012
Audrey
Audrey marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2013
Tammra
Tammra marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2012
Casey Day
Casey Day marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2015