Start by marking “Witch Hill” as Want to Read:
Witch Hill

Witch Hill

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  240 ratings  ·  24 reviews
The fire was a family tragedy that Jamie can't forget, even in his dreams. Now something terrifying involving a witch and a frightened girl is happening to Jamie in Crownhill, the village where he's been sent to get over his problems.
Paperback
Published July 1st 2005 by Orion Children's Books (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Witch Hill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Witch Hill

TheBookSmugglers
One of the things I love the most about blogging and reviewing is how it makes it possible for me to clearly see the evolution of my reading habits. Last year for example, I found myself navigating toward Contemporary YA as the sort of comfort read to fall back into whenever I went through a reading slump. Unfortunately, Contemporary YA doesn’t seem to be working for me lately. It wasn’t until I picked up Witch Hill to read that I noticed that this is the third Marcus Sedgwick novel I turned to...more
Jess Gofton
2.5 Stars

I have mixed feelings about this book. Despite my rating, which is relatively low, I actually have a lot of good things to say about this novella, so I'm going to start with those!

I would definitely class Witch Hill as a middle grade novella, but I'd be a big fat liar if I said it didn't give me the creeps. A lot of this story focuses on the nightmares Jamie has been having since going to stay with his aunt and his cousin, and the descriptions in his nightmares gave me the heebie jeebie...more
Bonnie
This book is so short it is more a novella than a novel. I've read Sedgwick before and LOVED The Foreshadowing and liked The Book of Dead Days and its sequel, so I was looking forward to this book. Turns out, unlike the other books I've read by Sedgwick, this is definitely more geared to the pre-teen and below reading level than older YA fans. When the knowledge of what "crone" means is an important plot point, you know you're way too old for a book.

I'd recommend this book for tweens. It's kind...more
Emma Louise
This was surprisingly good. Short and sweet and spooky but not too heavily overloaded. It was all plot, and all story, and I think that's what I liked about it. Though it could have been a tiny bit longer, I really appreciated that it wasn't weighed down by filler material or a dramatic romantic subplot. For what I'm guessing is a book aimed at ages 12+ it's quite creepy. It was descriptive and well written and I certainly had the chills moreso in this book than some adult level horror novels. T...more
Lisa
After reading another book by Marcus and absolutely loving it, I had high hopes for his other works, but I have to admit this one didn't do it for me. It was certainly readable, but i just couldn't get to grips with the way it was written, whether it was because it was from a child's point of view I'm not sure, but something just didn't click and I could never fully immerse myself with this book. It did get good towards the end, and the nightmares Jamie experiences were truly scary, just the des...more
Becca
Oct 18, 2014 Becca rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: ya
I loved The Book of Dead Days and The Dark Flight Down, so I expected to like this one. Unfortunately it just isn't all that good. The descriptions of Jamie's dreams are super creepy and were the best parts. Unfortunately, the storyline and the writing are just kind of weak, so it was a fairly disappointing read. Not the worst book I've ever read, but not a good one, either.
Leslie
Middle school level horror is about the level I can deal with.
This was creepy and fun. Definitely a boy-book.
Georgia (The Bibliomaniac Book Blog)
Goodreads synopsis: At first, Jamie isn’t too worried about the bad dreams he’s been having since coming to his aunt’s house. Most people awoken in the middle of the night to find their house burning down would probably have nightmares, too. But instead of fire, he keeps dreaming of a “horrible, scary old woman,” relentlessly coming after him for some awful, inexplicable purpose. Even though he’s come to Aunt Jane’s to recover from the fire’s aftermath, he doesn’t want to bother her or his cousi...more
Beth Kemp
This first person narrative of a boy who is trying to cope with disaster, interspersed with historical fragments, had me gripped from the start. It centres on Jamie, staying with relatives in the aftermath of a fire, but the story shifts to focus more and more on his creepy dream of an old hag, his new surroundings and their strange and oddly compelling folklore. Sedgwick's writing is lyrical and haunting, drawing you into the strangeness by rooting it all in visceral reality.

I will absolutely b...more
Jake Ackmann
I thought this book was great. It was scary and has a very good story line that does not get boring at any time. The events are spread out great and leave you wondering. The character development is also very good and does not misinform you or leave you hanging. The ending is SHOCKING which totally just makes the book that much better! So get ready to turn on your light and start reading this book wont let you put it down!
Beth
I don't like leaving books but I gave up, it was boring.
KK
This book wasn't the best of Sedgwick's novels. He is a great writer and his other books like "The book of dead days" and "The dark flight down" were spectacular. But this one was a bit of a let down. It wasn't that all exciting and nothing really much happens except for the cry of witchcraft and superstition. Overall, it is an average read.
Kayla Daoust
Love Marcus Sedgwicks work. Always amazing <3
Melanie
A nice quick read, with typical Sedgewick creepiness, but nothing amazing. The full-circle of events from the beginning to the end is nice, and there are some good moments of suspense in there too.
Sally
I LOVE Marcus Sedgwick... usually. Sadly, this book was rather a disappointment. :( Okay, but nothing special. The plot made it sound a lot better than it was.
Morgan
D: This book definitely wasn't as good as I thought it would be. The Foreshadowing is the best book of Marcus', from what I've read.
Jarizza
If you couldn't handle a bunch of nightmares, I suggest reading this in the daylight. It honestly creeped me the math out.
Lea
Apr 03, 2008 Lea rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: marcus sedgwick fans, horror readers
it was an ok book...because of the tragedy that happend to jamie...and how he got over his fear..nice actually.
Aaliyah
I read this book four years ago, and it's still one of my favourites. Truly brilliant.
Jemima Puddle Duck
This was short, but I enjoyed the whole book, from the very first page.
Sally
This was not one of Sedgwick's best!
Yosi
Feb 19, 2009 Yosi rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people how love witches
Recommended to Yosi by: library
this is a good book if you love witch
Courtney Lehmann
Courtney Lehmann marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
TheBookishLadybird
TheBookishLadybird marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Dawn Kurtagich
Dawn Kurtagich marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
Lola
Lola marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
  • Tales of Aradia the Last Witch Volume 1
  • Scarlett Dedd
  • Tales of Terror from the Tunnel's Mouth (Tales of Terror, #3)
  • Goblins
  • Prisoner of the Inquisition
  • The Riddles of Epsilon
  • Mortlock
  • Tyme's End
  • Shadows at Stonewylde (Stonewylde, #4)
  • Stop the Train! (Cissy Sissney, #1)
  • Dawn Undercover
  • Witch Hunt
  • Castle of Shadows (Castle of Shadows, #1)
  • Wasted
Marcus Sedgwick was born in Kent, England. Marcus is a British author and illustrator as well as a musician. He is the author of several books, including Witch Hill and The Book of Dead Days, both of which were nominated for the Edgar Allan Poe Award. The most recent of these nominations rekindled a fascination with Poe that has borne fruit here in (in The Restless Dead, 2007) the form of "The Hea...more
More about Marcus Sedgwick...
Midwinterblood Revolver The Book of Dead Days (Book of Dead Days, #1) She Is Not Invisible My Swordhand is Singing (My Swordhand is Singing, #1)