Start by marking “The Losers, Vol. 5: Endgame” as Want to Read:
The Losers, Vol. 5: Endgame

The Losers, Vol. 5: Endgame (The Losers #5)

The seemingly unstoppable C.I.A. mastermind Max is about to play his final hand, and he's sitting on a whole pile of aces. With a brand-new country under his feet and a nuclear arsenal within his reach, Max is going all in—and the stakes are nothing less than the global balance of power itself.

As all the other players are folding, though, the Losers are still holding their
Published September 27th 2006 by Vertigo

To ask other readers questions about The Losers, Vol. 5, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Losers, Vol. 5

Tays
Aug 13, 2015 Tays rated it really liked it
In a way, the rating I'm putting up here would be for the whole series. Like what I previously stated on the review I did for the last volume, this title has grown on me. The characters were all interesting in their own ways and well they were written brilliantly. The growth and depth they all have individually was well polished and every bit decent. One more thing about these characters, well technically, they're not righteous pricks or exemplar champions of heroics, they are afterall The ...more
Mike
May 28, 2011 Mike rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned-and-read
What do you say to the end of a series that always knew that it had a finite end, and write itself exactly where it needed to go?

Loved it.

Can't believe I forgot entirely where this story was headed since the last time I read it. This is pretty much the poetic finale to the story that always needed to come out of where it started.

I really can't believe someone like Diggle exists - more paranoid and insightful than me, with one of the sharpest writer's pens I've ever read, and a wicked sense of hu
Joseph
Jun 05, 2011 Joseph rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Losers
What a letdown. Up until the end, this was a basically solid series -- not necessarily great, but an easy, fun read.

And then the villain creates an island fortress in the middle of the Persian Gulf. It's not improbably that he has (or rather, they have) a hairless kitty and a death ray.

It's a shame, too, because Max could have been a somewhat interesting character. I liked the revelation that he was actually a pair of twins, and I like the idea of a rogue agent who takes his mission more serious
Jamil
Dec 16, 2009 Jamil rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
so, i'm not sure why, but this series just sorta wasn't my thing. i kind of sped through the last two volumes today (gotta know how the story ends - i'm a completist that way). but yeah, just not to my taste, the overall story i guess. the final page though was killer. almost makes reading the whole series worth it, just to get that line.

oh yeah, and jock's cover design work is aces. so if you're into that, just flip through the books and look at the covers he did for the individual issues. pret
Lauri
Feb 11, 2015 Lauri rated it it was ok
Losersi viimseks köiteks on mul lõplikult kopp ees kildurebivatest õilsatest ex-eriüksuslastest, jaburast jaburama süžee käänakutest ja pöörakutest, maailma uskumatuimast verejanulisest araablasest nais(!)rambost ja eriti Kaiser Soze'st nimega Max kes on kogu asja taga aga kellest keegi vähimatki ei tea. Muinasjutt, ja kehvakene selline, aga sealjuures stiilselt teostatud. Mulle meeldisid Jocki räpakad lohakad jooned ja pruuni ja määrdunud moega värvigamma, ja ega ka külaliskunstnikel viga ...more
Caroline
May 05, 2010 Caroline rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
While this whole series was very well done, I personally didn't care for the direction of the final volume. It went in a grandiose, Bond-villainy direction and the large-scale conspiracy plots sort of overwhelmed the smaller touches of characterization that I'd enjoyed so much in the previous couple volumes. It still ends well if not, for me, particularly satisfyingly. I don't know if the creators were rushed to finish off the book or if this is really the way they wanted to wrap up.
Alan
Apr 11, 2010 Alan rated it liked it
With the movie opening in 2 weeks i decided to burn thru the five TPBs that had been loaned to me. While Max's plan, well part of it, seems a bit too outrageous I can sum the series up as a good solid action read. In the final volume, yes the good guys win, sort of. But we again get double crosses, and betrayals, and again if you're planning to see the movie I refuse to spoil it for you.
Mark Desrosiers
Mar 01, 2009 Mark Desrosiers rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
OK, I'm of two minds about this conclusion. Yes, the plot is daffy and maybe even cribbed from a Saturday morning SuperFriends episode: identical twins as bad guys, a new island rising out of the ocean floor, etc. BUT if you read it as an over-the-top parody of American hegemony in the Bush era, it's pretty hilarious. Great stinger in the very last panel too.
Stephen
Dec 27, 2009 Stephen rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Got a little James Bond super villainy is this last volume, but ultimately the pay off was quite good and far more bleak and cynical than I expected it to be. The last page summed the whole series up nicely.
William Thomas
Feb 10, 2010 William Thomas rated it liked it
An over-written ending to what was a fantastic book. This volume, however, was the weakest of them. Seems as if it were written to be on the big screen as some big budget summer blockbuster with all of the hackneyed lines and same double-cross scenes... just wasn't up to par.
Mac
Apr 21, 2010 Mac rated it did not like it
All right, look. I know it's a comic book. I'm not expecting something great, here. But no one, NO ONE, likes a secret-twin ending. Oh well, the series as a whole was fun, a decent way to kill an afternoon, but secret twins? Really, guys?
Vikas Khair
Feb 21, 2014 Vikas Khair rated it it was amazing
Endgame for sure .. all the mysteries are resolved and sacrifices are made. What an awesome Story .. now I would finish watching the movie too. This has been a wonderful read. Never miss.
Michael DeLong
Michael DeLong rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2016
Vaim Hull
Vaim Hull rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2013
ari
ari rated it liked it
Feb 23, 2016
Afryst
Afryst rated it liked it
Jun 14, 2009
Erik
Erik rated it really liked it
Nov 15, 2013
Jasmine
Jasmine rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2016
Ayla Pendragon
Ayla Pendragon rated it it was ok
Aug 31, 2014
Rodney
Rodney rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2013
Nate McGraw
Nate McGraw rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2010
Michael
Michael rated it it was amazing
Jun 28, 2007
Bex
Bex rated it it was amazing
Feb 26, 2013
Brett
Brett rated it liked it
Sep 02, 2012
Francisco Mercado
Francisco Mercado rated it liked it
Aug 29, 2014
Dennis G
Dennis G rated it really liked it
Nov 15, 2010
Lope Nieves
Lope Nieves rated it it was amazing
Jun 17, 2014
Peterscoggins
Peterscoggins rated it liked it
Apr 04, 2011
DB
DB rated it really liked it
Dec 16, 2008
Rufus Burrus
Rufus Burrus rated it liked it
Apr 09, 2010
  • Sleeper, Vol. 4: The Long Way Home
  • 100 Bullets, Vol. 9: Strychnine Lives
  • The Flash, Vol. 2: Blood Will Run
  • The Authority: The Magnificent Kevin
Andy Diggle is a British comic book writer and former editor of 2000 AD. He is best known for his work on The Losers,Swamp Thing, Hellblazer, Adam Strange and Silent Dragon at DC Comics and for his run on Thunderbolts and Daredevil after his move to Marvel.

In 2013 Diggle left writing DC's Action Comics and began working with Dynamite Entertainment, writing a paranormal crime series Uncanny. He is
More about Andy Diggle...

The Losers (2 books)