Start by marking “Press on: Messages on Faith, Hope, and Charity” as Want to Read:
Press on: Messages on Faith, Hope, and Charity

Press on: Messages on Faith, Hope, and Charity

4.43 of 5 stars 4.43  ·  rating details  ·  120 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin, who turns 90 this year, is known among his colleagues as a wise man, a resilient man, and a man of complete integrity. He is also known for telling wonderful stories. In Press On, he shares lessons and insights he has gleaned during his life. His messages focus on the three virtues spoken of so eloquently by the Apostle Paul--faith, hope, and char ...more
Published January 1st 2007 by Shadow Mountain

To ask other readers questions about Press on, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Press on

Michele
I first fell in love with Elder Wirthlin when he spoke in conference about Snowball. The horse with amazing ability to jump. I enjoyed his addresses after that. This book has many of my favorites including, Sunday Will Come,
Quotes: 60 Faith exists when absolute confidence in that which we cannot see combines with action that is in absolute conformity to the will of our Heavenly Father.

James E Faust, page 144.The Holy Ghost: It can enhance our natural senses so that we can see more clearly, hear
Janene
Such a great collection of talks! These are words of counsel that lift and encourage, and it is glimpses into the life of a great man, one who spent so MANY of his days serving and teaching others.

My favorites ... that I will re-read down the road, I'm sure.

The Abundant Life **

"We may not be gifted artists, sculptors, or musicians, but the greatest art of all is the art of living. We can take the clay of time and create from it a masterpiece of an abundant life. Love the Lord with all your heart
Becky
This is a beautiful book written by an Apostle of the Lord Jesus Christ. Elder Wirthlin offers insights into living the gospel with more dedication and joy. Some of my favorite quotes:
"..when we cling to our sins, our pleasures, and sometimes even our perceived obligations; resist the influence of the Holy Ghost; and put aside the words of the prophets; we then stand at the shore of our own Galilee, nets tightly entangling us. We find ourselves unable to leave them behind and follow the living C
Ross Johnson
I was a little disappointed the book didn't contian anything different than a compilation of his talks throughout the years. A great and inspiring read, but nothing you can't get by searching for his talks online.
Trinna
I loved this book. What a sweet man this Apostle is. Several of his talks in it are my favorite. This book inspired me to try a little harder to be a better individual. I've dog-eared sections I want to go back and print out for future references.
Gina
This is a great book! It will be a great reference for me to use in the future. It does take some pressing on to get through the book, but it is worth it. It is very uplifting. I really enjoyed getting a deeper glimpse of Elder Wirthlin's testimony. He has a very strong testimony of Joseph Smith, President Hinckley, and the Book of Mormon.
Heather
This was a great book. I gave it four stars instead of five because much of the book is a reproduction of conference talks and BYU devotionals, not new material. Nevertheless, it is inspirational and encouraging, and it seems that even talks by apostles I've heard or read before supply new food for thought each time they're re-read.
Danielle Bennett
Aug 08, 2008 Danielle Bennett rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone, especially anyone LDS
This book is amazing! Elder Wirthlin has some great messages to share. I have really enjoyed the gospel lessons intermixed with life experiences (some of them his). It seems to make the importance of those lessons stronger. This book is very inspirational and an enjoyable reading experience.
Katiemiller
Biased yes, but a prime anthology of Elder Wirthlin's best conference addresses. I still flip through it monthly and find huge inspiration and rejuvenation through his wisdom and tender testimony. It makes me a better person with each read. LOVE LOVE LOVE it.
Jonathan
Joseph B Wirthlin always gives great talks at conference, so I really liked this book since it is basically a bunch of his talks catergorized under topics of faith, hope, and charity.
Cami
I was a little disappointed to realize this is a collection of Elder Wirthlin's General Conference talks instead of an original book. It was good to review many of his teachings though.
Teri
This book is in three sections, faith, hope and charity, with talks by Elder Wirthlin that fit in each category. Very inspiring. Many ideas of things we can do to grow in all three areas.
Doug
This Apostle of the Lord presents a book with chapters that have their own messages of discipleship. This newest addition to the LDS genre is a gem.
Mckell
This book is a compilation of Elder Wirthlin's best talks. I read it during my lunch break. It's great!!
Doug
This was mostly just a compilation of his talks, I liked it, I think my mom gave it to me.
Tanis
I loved this book! It was so uplifting and inspiring! Joseph B. Wirthlin was an amazing man.
Ro
A great compilation of General Conference, Devotional, and Fireside talks that he has given.
Kim Dennis
It was wonderful reading talks given by Elder Wirthlin. It really made me miss him.
Suzan
Love Elder Wirthlin and the wisdom and insights he had. What a great man!
Amber
He is such a funny guy. I love his talks, and the way he teaches life lessons.
Ina
I enjoyed reading his messages. They are just inspiring.
Brenda
Fabulous insight and exactly what I needed at the time.
Cindy
To press on with Faith, Hope and Charity.
Brett
Use this book during dark days
Dixon
Very good book for all to read.
Rebecca
I just love Elder Wirthlin!
Connie
Connie marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Mckenna Rice
Mckenna Rice marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Jaymie
Jaymie marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2015
  • I Walked to Zion: True Stories of Young Pioneers on the Mormon Trail
  • Because He First Loved Us
  • The Promise of Discipleship
  • Life of Joseph Smith: The Prophet
  • Inspiring Experiences That Build Faith: From the Life and Ministry of Thomas S. Monson
  • The House of the Lord: A Study of Holy Sanctuaries Ancient and Modern
  • Discourses of President Gordon B. Hinckley, Vol. 1: 1995-1999 (Hardcover)
  • Daughters of God: Scriptural Portraits
  • Spiritually Anchored in Unsettled Times
  • Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Wilford Woodruff
  • When Thou Art Converted: Continuing Our Search for Happiness
  • Through His Eyes: Rethinking What You Believe About Yourself
  • A Lion and A Lamb
Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin was ordained an Apostle of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on October 9, 1986. He was sustained and set apart as an Assistant to the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles on 4 April 1975 and served in that capacity until he was called to the First Quorum of the Seventy in April 1976. He was set apart in the Presidency of the First Quorum of the Seventy on August 28 ...more
More about Joseph B. Wirthlin...
Finding Peace in Our Lives Heroes from the Book of Mormon The Prophet and His Work Heroes from the Book of Mormon

“Each person in the world is different and has their own beautiful sound in the symphony of life.” 18 likes