Start by marking “The Best of Henry Kuttner” as Want to Read:
The Best of Henry Kuttner

The Best of Henry Kuttner

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  301 ratings  ·  28 reviews
These 17 stories create a galaxy of vain, protective & murderous robots; devilish angels & warm & angry aliens. In Mimsy Were the Borogoves, inspiring New Line Cinema's The Last Mimzy, a boy finds a box of curious objects. When he & his sister play with them--including a crystal cube that magnifies the unimaginable & a doll with removable organs that do ...more
Published February 1975 by Nelson Doubleday (Garden City, NY) (first published January 1st 1975)

To ask other readers questions about The Best of Henry Kuttner, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Best of Henry Kuttner

Riju Ganguly
Although this book purportedly contains stories written only by Henry Kuttner, the first thing that the reader has to keep in mind is that: these were joint ventures, combined efforts from two of the all-time greatest “pulp era” authors: Henry Kuttner, and his wife C.L. Moore (if you are yet to read anything written by her, you don’t know what you are missing!). Therefore, I think Ray Bradbury was being quite unfair when he had apportioned all the credits for these wonderful (an often-used word ...more
Nicole
I have the original published book titled "Best of Henry Kuttner" He is one of my absolute FAVORITE authors when it comes to sci-fi. His stories aren't so technical that your mind is caught trying to understand everything, but they make you think. I'm really glad they published this again.

When The Last Mimzy came out as a movie I was angry that they ripped his story off and changed it because it was perfect in the book. Seriously a good read.
Mavie
One of the best sf writers ever and definitely one of the most underappreciated. These stories were written in the first half of the 20th century in the golden age of sf. Don't skip the foreword by Ray Bradbury, it will give you a real appreciation of Kuttner as a man and an author. All of the stories are good. my favorite is The Twonky. Check it.
Admittedly, I picked up this book because of the movie, which I found entertaining. I found this book pleasantly surprising and thought provoking because they explore essential traits of personality and humanity. It's hard to pick a favorite story, but I think it would be between Absalom, Nothing but Gingerbread Left, and Endowment Policy.
Becky
A collection of short stories. Each one is very sci-fi oriented, and generally involving technology and the way it affects human life. Each story ends with a rather profound-feeling lesson to be learned, with surprising twists and elements that really make you think.
Mark Dickson
Along with Ray Bradbury, Henry Kuttner, (sometimes writing with his wife, C L Moore) writing as himself and under several pseudonymns raised the science-fiction craft from pulp fiction to art. A Master that is, sadly, little recognized today.
Benjamin
Excellent collection of Kuttner's most memorable works includes many classics. Highly recommended for fans of Golden Era Sci-Fi.
Fenixbird SandS
Nov 11, 2007 Fenixbird SandS marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: books-to-movies
Short Story written by Lewis Padgett entitled, "Mimzy Were the Borogoves," was what the movie, 'The Last Mimzy' was based on.
Kevin Connery
Classic Kuttner short stories
Holmes
Words fail me as I try to describe how good Henry Kuttner's stories are. They are more than fantastic; I guess "mind-blowing" is about the only apt adjective for this anthology of short science and fantasy fiction. And Kuttner does mess with your mind: he provokes it, challenges it, lifts it to places never imagined possible, and leaves you wondering how an Earth-bound three-dimensional being (i.e. Kuttner) could create works so other-worldly and transcendental, and yet still so accessible and r ...more
Autumn
Interesting author. I thought the best short story was A Gnome There Was, especially the ending.
Joseph Young
Kuttner's style reminds me much of Bradbury, but with a much more conversational aspect to it. Kuttner creates a fantastical sci-fi world and instead of getting stuck in describing the details of all the new technologies, he masterfully blends in the descriptions which seem almost like afterthoughts to the human problems presented in each stories. This has made me quite interested in the rest of his works.
James
Great collection! A few of my favorites:

"The Proud Robot" has got to be one of the funniest stories I've ever read--loved it! I also like the two stories focusing upon the Hogben hillbilly family--reminiscent of Lovecraft's Whateley family from "The Dunwich Horror." "What You Need" was a familiar tale; I believe there was an old Twilight Zone episode based on it.
D'andra Conyers
This book was very interesting and it had a storyline that was both interesting and easy to follow. It was sort of mysterious in certain ways which helped the story line even more. This book is about a stuffed rabbit who has something everyone wants. It has almost human like abilities and the story in a crazy and twisted manner.
My last book for 2012.. reaching my goal of reading 50 books this year just 20 minutes before midnight ;) It look me like a month to get through this one, I read quite a few books in-between and really had to force myself to finish the last 200 pages, but i did it!
David Szondy
Henry Kuttner was a remarkable science fiction writer with a quirky, broad repertoire that never failed to delight or surprise.

Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
I enjoyed the title story; it was nice and eerie. The others ... I read a few more, but they all seemed to be very similar in quality, and I found myself losing interest in continuing.
Erik Graff
Jul 20, 2011 Erik Graff rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kuttner & Moore fans
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: sf
I got this volume of seventeen science fiction stories by the Kuttner/Moore team from the Science Fiction Book Club. They're not my favorites, though some pass. Many are dated.
Nicole
It was a little too bizarre for me and I had a hard time pulling a moral from some of the stories.
Theresa
it surprized me how violent and different this story was then the movie was indicated
Bree
I only read the last mimzy couldn't bring myself to read the rest of the book
Ami
Kutner's short stories are wonderful and age amazingly well.
S2wilk
lots of different stories. Good reading.
bluetyson
Best of Henry Kuttner by Henry Kuttner (1975)
Suzanne
A true gem...many levels of meaning.
Nellie K.
I saw the movie, now I need to read it.
May 21, 2007 Jennifer marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
recomended by charlie
Dennis
Great short Sci-fi story collection
Natalie
Natalie marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
  • The Best of Frederik Pohl
  • The Best of C. M. Kornbluth
  • The Best of Stanley G. Weinbaum
  • The Best of Robert Bloch
  • The Best of John W. Campbell (US)
  • The Best of C. L. Moore
  • Driving Blind
  • Ten Thousand Light-Years From Home
  • Frost & Fire
  • Starlight: The Great Short Fiction of Alfred Bester
Henry Kuttner was, alone and in collaboration with his wife, the great science fiction and fantasy writer C. L. Moore, one of the four or five most important writers of the 1940s, the writer whose work went furthest in its sociological and psychological insight to making science fiction a human as well as technological literature. He was an important influence upon every contemporary and every sci ...more
More about Henry Kuttner...
Fury Robots Have No Tails The Dark World Mimsy Were the Borogoves The Book of Iod: Ten Tales of the Mythos