Start by marking “The Best of Henry Kuttner” as Want to Read:
The Best of Henry Kuttner

The Best of Henry Kuttner

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  398 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
These 17 stories create a galaxy of vain, protective & murderous robots; devilish angels & warm & angry aliens. In Mimsy Were the Borogoves, inspiring New Line Cinema's The Last Mimzy, a boy finds a box of curious objects. When he & his sister play with them--including a crystal cube that magnifies the unimaginable & a doll with removable organs that do ...more
Published February 1975 by Nelson Doubleday (Garden City, NY) (first published January 1st 1975)

To ask other readers questions about The Best of Henry Kuttner, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Best of Henry Kuttner

Riju Ganguly
Jul 28, 2012 Riju Ganguly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although this book purportedly contains stories written only by Henry Kuttner, the first thing that the reader has to keep in mind is that: these were joint ventures, combined efforts from two of the all-time greatest “pulp era” authors: Henry Kuttner, and his wife C.L. Moore (if you are yet to read anything written by her, you don’t know what you are missing!). Therefore, I think Ray Bradbury was being quite unfair when he had apportioned all the credits for these wonderful (an often-used word ...more
Jean-marcel
Jul 23, 2015 Jean-marcel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really nice collection of short stories from an underrated writer with a talent for variety, clever twists and really novel ideas. The style is sharp and engaging and the stories range from whimsical fantasy to little pieces reminiscent of something you might see on The Twilight Zone to solid and well-thought-out science fiction. "Mimsy were the Borogoves" is a story he wrote with his wife, Catherine Lucille Moore, and it's fantastic and definitely one of the best in the anthology, and I'd say a ...more
Holmes
Mar 11, 2013 Holmes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Words fail me as I try to describe how good Henry Kuttner's stories are. They are more than fantastic; I guess "mind-blowing" is about the only apt adjective for this anthology of short science and fantasy fiction. And Kuttner does mess with your mind: he provokes it, challenges it, lifts it to places never imagined possible, and leaves you wondering how an Earth-bound three-dimensional being (i.e. Kuttner) could create works so other-worldly and transcendental, and yet still so accessible and r ...more
Mike
Jun 30, 2015 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a big C.L. Moore fan, and it's notoriously difficult to disentangle her work and Kuttner's. (They were married, and used to work on each other's stories.) These were published as by Kuttner, though, and don't have quite the depth of emotion that Moore's exhibited, though they're much better than average for their time in that respect.

Unfortunately, I did find them a bit overwritten. When you're being paid by the word, conciseness isn't a virtue, I suppose, but I felt that they could have be
Nicole
Feb 13, 2008 Nicole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
I have the original published book titled "Best of Henry Kuttner" He is one of my absolute FAVORITE authors when it comes to sci-fi. His stories aren't so technical that your mind is caught trying to understand everything, but they make you think. I'm really glad they published this again.

When The Last Mimzy came out as a movie I was angry that they ripped his story off and changed it because it was perfect in the book. Seriously a good read.
Mavie
Apr 24, 2008 Mavie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best sf writers ever and definitely one of the most underappreciated. These stories were written in the first half of the 20th century in the golden age of sf. Don't skip the foreword by Ray Bradbury, it will give you a real appreciation of Kuttner as a man and an author. All of the stories are good. my favorite is The Twonky. Check it.
J.j. Metsavana
May 12, 2015 J.j. Metsavana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Autor, kelle vastu tekkis mul huvi lugedes Jürka ja mingi teise mehe (unustanud juba kelle) vestlust feissbookis. Ootasin esimese hooga muidugi pisut aegunud pulpi ning sain petta. Kuttner on hästi ajaproovile vastu pidanud ning ta ideed on siiani hullumeelsed. Samal ajal kui paljud tema kaasaegsed rahuldusid ühe idee rahuldavalt kirja panekule (eks autorid teevad seda siiani) suutis Kutter sageli kokku panna mitu lahedat mõtet. Näiteks loos "The Proud Robot" peab alkohoolikust (joomist on muide ...more
Jerry
Apr 17, 2016 Jerry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This collection of Henry Kuttner authored or co-authored stories starts with Mimsy Were the Borogoves. I probably read that story first in the amazing The Science Fiction Hall of Fame Vol I edited by Robert Silverberg, back in the seventies. Mimsy Were the Borogoves is still brilliant forty years later.

These are all fun stories, and the writing quality is a step up even from the uniformly high standards of this Best Of series. There’s a great story about using nonsense songs against Nazi Germany
Joseph Young
Dec 19, 2013 Joseph Young rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kuttner's style reminds me much of Bradbury, but with a much more conversational aspect to it. Kuttner creates a fantastical sci-fi world and instead of getting stuck in describing the details of all the new technologies, he masterfully blends in the descriptions which seem almost like afterthoughts to the human problems presented in each stories. This has made me quite interested in the rest of his works.
James
Oct 01, 2013 James rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Great collection! A few of my favorites:

"The Proud Robot" has got to be one of the funniest stories I've ever read--loved it! I also like the two stories focusing upon the Hogben hillbilly family--reminiscent of Lovecraft's Whateley family from "The Dunwich Horror." "What You Need" was a familiar tale; I believe there was an old Twilight Zone episode based on it.
Feb 24, 2011 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Admittedly, I picked up this book because of the movie, which I found entertaining. I found this book pleasantly surprising and thought provoking because they explore essential traits of personality and humanity. It's hard to pick a favorite story, but I think it would be between Absalom, Nothing but Gingerbread Left, and Endowment Policy.
Rog Harrison
I did not read this edition as the edition I read was in an omnibus with "Fury" and "Mutant". Although this book is credited to Henry Kuttner most of the stories were co-written with his wife Catherine Moore. I enjoyed many of the author's short stories back in the late 1960s and early 1970s but I don't think I have read this particular collection before. I had certainly read at least one of these stories before because I remembered it vividly and I had certainly read some of his stories featuri ...more
Becky
Sep 19, 2008 Becky rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A collection of short stories. Each one is very sci-fi oriented, and generally involving technology and the way it affects human life. Each story ends with a rather profound-feeling lesson to be learned, with surprising twists and elements that really make you think.
Mark Dickson
May 14, 2010 Mark Dickson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Along with Ray Bradbury, Henry Kuttner, (sometimes writing with his wife, C L Moore) writing as himself and under several pseudonymns raised the science-fiction craft from pulp fiction to art. A Master that is, sadly, little recognized today.
David Szondy
Jun 02, 2012 David Szondy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Henry Kuttner was a remarkable science fiction writer with a quirky, broad repertoire that never failed to delight or surprise.

Benjamin
Excellent collection of Kuttner's most memorable works includes many classics. Highly recommended for fans of Golden Era Sci-Fi.
Fenixbird SandS
Nov 11, 2007 Fenixbird SandS marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: books-to-movies
Short Story written by Lewis Padgett entitled, "Mimzy Were the Borogoves," was what the movie, 'The Last Mimzy' was based on.
Autumn
Interesting author. I thought the best short story was A Gnome There Was, especially the ending.
Kevin Connery
Aug 24, 2009 Kevin Connery rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Classic Kuttner short stories
Jessica McFarland
n original collection of science fiction short stories largely concerned with OOPAS and robots, with a little magic and mayhem thrown in. Kuttner was clearly inspired by Asimov’s I, Robot, and has gifted us with 17 tales that take off into more detailed, fantastic, and entertaining territory.
Rebecca McNutt
Apr 12, 2015 Rebecca McNutt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting little set of stories, though seemingly targeted more at adults than at children, since their innocent styles still have underlying themes about the world.
D'andra Conyers
This book was very interesting and it had a storyline that was both interesting and easy to follow. It was sort of mysterious in certain ways which helped the story line even more. This book is about a stuffed rabbit who has something everyone wants. It has almost human like abilities and the story in a crazy and twisted manner.
Dec 31, 2012 Jennifer rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
My last book for 2012.. reaching my goal of reading 50 books this year just 20 minutes before midnight ;) It look me like a month to get through this one, I read quite a few books in-between and really had to force myself to finish the last 200 pages, but i did it!
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
I enjoyed the title story; it was nice and eerie. The others ... I read a few more, but they all seemed to be very similar in quality, and I found myself losing interest in continuing.
Erik Graff
Jul 20, 2011 Erik Graff rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kuttner & Moore fans
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: sf
I got this volume of seventeen science fiction stories by the Kuttner/Moore team from the Science Fiction Book Club. They're not my favorites, though some pass. Many are dated.
Nicole
It was a little too bizarre for me and I had a hard time pulling a moral from some of the stories.
Theresa
Jul 29, 2011 Theresa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
it surprized me how violent and different this story was then the movie was indicated
Bree
I only read the last mimzy couldn't bring myself to read the rest of the book
Ami
Jun 20, 2010 Ami rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kutner's short stories are wonderful and age amazingly well.
S2wilk
May 14, 2010 S2wilk rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
lots of different stories. Good reading.
  • The Best of C. L. Moore
  • The Best of Robert Bloch
  • The Best of Damon Knight
  • The Best of Frederik Pohl
  • The Best of C. M. Kornbluth
  • The Best of Stanley G. Weinbaum
  • The Best of John W. Campbell (US)
  • Out of the Everywhere, and Other Extraordinary Visions
  • Pilgrimage to Earth
  • The Best of L. Sprague de Camp
  • Fancies and Goodnights
  • The Best of Fredric Brown
Henry Kuttner was, alone and in collaboration with his wife, the great science fiction and fantasy writer C. L. Moore, one of the four or five most important writers of the 1940s, the writer whose work went furthest in its sociological and psychological insight to making science fiction a human as well as technological literature. He was an important influence upon every contemporary and every sci ...more
More about Henry Kuttner...

“LEFT LEFT LEFT a wife and SEVenteen children in STARVing condition with NOTHing but gingerbread” 0 likes