Start by marking “Loaded: A Misadventure on the Marijuana Trail” as Want to Read:
Loaded: A Misadventure on the Marijuana Trail

Loaded: A Misadventure on the Marijuana Trail

Do you think you have the balls it would take to risk your life for a million dollars?
Allen Long certainly did. Balls like a bull elephant's -- with charisma and cunning in the same large measure. But he needed to know that those around him could handle pressure. After all, they'd be violating Colombian and U.S. airspace in a dilapidated DC-3 and landing on jungle mud-tra
Published January 3rd 2002 by Little Brown and Company (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Loaded, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Loaded

Joe
Nov 30, 2008 Joe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: outlaws, libertarians. moms
Recommended to Joe by: Sunshine Grrl
Ha Ha, I think I knew the hero of this story.. Why isn't this a movie? It's about the first "dudes" to smuggle Columbian Gold into the USA. Insane pilots, righteous dopers, bandidos and cops--all here and an easy quick read.
I took off a star for the author's occasional flippant attitude
towards the subject as well as some cultural faux-pas ( he does NOT know his sixties rock and roll man"
quote:
"Entire Ivy League Hockey teams were playing games while tripping on acid. It's sometimes difficult to r
Amy
Dec 05, 2013 Amy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Got this book from a friend and decided to read it. The back said that it "reads like an action movie". I like books of different genres, I thought it would be quite interesting and entertaining especially during my long commute to work.

However I was put off by the story. Of course it's about drugs and smuggling, but every other line reminds the reader of how high Allen (the main character) is. For example, the lights down below from the airplane window look funny because he snorted coke all the
Punk
Feb 27, 2012 Punk rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Non-Fiction. Supposedly a true account of Allen Long and his adventures smuggling marijuana out of Colombia, but this was in the 1970s and all the participants were regularly fucked up on weed and coke and quaaludes, and the book was published in 2002, and Sabbag doesn't explain how he came by this information or when his interviews(?) were conducted, so, whatever. Its status as non-fiction is questionable is all I'm saying. I read it like an action-thriller, and it easily works on that level. I ...more
Melissa
This is the intriguiging true story of Allen Long, a very young man who aspires to make a name for himself in the music and/or movie business in the late 1970's and has the brilliant idea to do it by filming a documentary- inserting himself in the infant marijuana smuggling business between the U.S. and Colombia. This was at a time before cartels and guns and murder-- mostly a bunch of peace/love dopeheads who saw it as their mission to bring pot to the masses (and ensure their own stable supply ...more
Steve
Feb 03, 2014 Steve rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I was expecting either a laugh-a-minute conflagration or a really intense read. Instead, the main protagonist quickly progresses from stress-filled smuggling to the dull (with brief moments of intense life-or-death decisions) aspects of being a major supplier who relies on his network of cronies to continue his enterprise.

Thankfully, the book wasn't overly verbose (unlike my review) and I was able to finish before it became painful.

Would probably make a great movie, though. Baby boomers will lov
Gavin
Oct 02, 2008 Gavin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
Could I first mention that whoever added this book to Goodreads is a supremely unfunny human being. Read the name in full: Robert Paper Sabbag sonds like Robert papers a bag. Ho, ho, I don't think. His name is Robert Sabbag, he also wrote Snowblind.

The title is also all one word, for your information, that is it is Smokescreen.

Anyway, this is another biography of a drug smuggler with the names changed to protect the guilty.
David Ward
Jan 18, 2016 David Ward rated it liked it
Loaded: A Misadventure on the Marijuana Trail by Robert Sabbag (Little, Brown & Co. 1992) (364.1) is a book about marijuana smuggling from Columbia to the USA in the 1960's and 1970's. Sabbag's previous adventure was the book Snowblind: A Brief Career in the Cocaine Trade and was about smuggling cocaine. The book is a grand adventure for those of us who missed the trip. My rating: 6.5/10, finished 1/23/11.
Trawets
Oct 10, 2010 Trawets rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Smoke screen by Robert Sabbag, follows Allen Long's journey from wannabe documentry film maker to marjuana smuggler to drug dealer to eventual honest citie once more.
Told in an easy laconic amoral style it's set mainly in Columbia in the late 1960's and 1970's but before the drug cartels turned the country into a killing field.
If you're prepared to suspend judgement then hop aboard for an at times hairy flight, nervous air passengers may want to skip the first chapter.
Gavin
Jun 16, 2008 Gavin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
Journalism cum biography (no sniggers please). Sabbag writes about various incidents in the life of a drug smuggler with a great deal of style. His prose moves along at a rapid pace and the book is over before you know it, at least it was for me. This review would apply equally to Snowblind.
Oldnomad
Interesting (true) story quite well presented with just a touch of dry humour. But at times a bit long winded.

Interesting to hear the CIA involvement encouraging the trade for (Cuban) political reasons.
Julie
Sep 23, 2008 Julie rated it really liked it
Shelves: hibernation
I had to return this to the library before finishing it, but I will get back to it. What I've read so far is excellent.
Chris
May 03, 2015 Chris rated it did not like it
This book lumbers along like the slow moving DC-3 used to transport the dope. These are the most boring outlaws ever committed to print.
Johnny
Johnny rated it it was amazing
Jan 26, 2013
Jessica Karr
Jessica Karr rated it liked it
Jul 09, 2014
Marcin
Marcin rated it really liked it
Oct 24, 2012
Ken Vanderoef
Ken Vanderoef rated it really liked it
May 15, 2009
Elizabeta
Elizabeta rated it really liked it
Nov 14, 2014
Marc Rocket
Mar 08, 2013 Marc Rocket rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think I'll read it again.
Paul Dooney
Paul Dooney rated it it was amazing
Nov 19, 2013
Rory Foster
Rory Foster rated it really liked it
Mar 14, 2016
Ryan
Ryan rated it it was ok
Apr 05, 2012
Jonathan Leeming
Jonathan Leeming rated it it was amazing
Sep 11, 2013
Coolnick
Coolnick rated it really liked it
Jun 30, 2009
Zimes
Zimes rated it it was amazing
Sep 06, 2013
Leanna Pohevitz
Leanna Pohevitz rated it really liked it
May 01, 2014
Matt King
Matt King rated it liked it
Apr 21, 2014
Sherie
Sherie rated it it was ok
May 14, 2012
C. W.
C. W. rated it liked it
Mar 12, 2012
Taylor Koenig
Taylor Koenig rated it it was amazing
May 18, 2010
Tony Barnett
Tony Barnett rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2010
  • Reefer Madness: A History of Marijuana
  • Pot Planet: Adventures in Global Marijuana Culture
  • The Pleasure's All Mine:  Memoir of a Professional Submissive
  • The Hasheesh Eater: Being Passages from the Life of a Pythagorean
  • Iced
  • High Society: The Central Role of Mind-Altering Drugs in History, Science, and Culture
  • The Howard Marks Book of Dope Stories
  • Damn Near Dead: An Anthology of Geezer Noir
  • The Great Game: The Myth and Reality of Espionage
  • A Spy's Journey: A CIA Memoir
  • Moist
  • Soldier ‘I’: The story of an SAS Hero
  • Psychosomatic
  • The Pot Book: A Complete Guide to Cannabis: Its Role in Medicine, Politics, Science, and Culture
  • How to Spot a Liar: Why People Don't Tell the Truth...and How You Can Catch Them
  • The War I Always Wanted: The Illusion of Glory and the Reality of War: A Screaming Eagle in Afghanistan and Iraq
  • Bongwater
  • Greetings From Afghanistan, Send More Ammo: Dispatches from Taliban Country
Robert Sabbag is an American author and journalist. The memoir Down Around Midnight, is about a fatal plane crash he survived in 1979. Sabbag is a member of the Authors Guild and Writers Guild of America. His film Witness Protection was nominated for two Golden Globe Awards, including Best Picture.
More about Robert Sabbag...