Start by marking “Chronicles of a Cruise Ship Crew Member: Answers to All the Questions Every Passenger Wants to Ask” as Want to Read:

EDITED 3rd Edition Released December 2, 2013

In this often hilarious, sometimes shocking, and always insightful book, the well-published travel writer Joshua Kinser provides a behind-the-scenes exposé into what it's really like to work on a cruise ship. Chronicles of a Cruise Ship Crew Member goes below the waterline to explore the cramped, dirty, and dimly lit crew areas o
Published December 22nd 2013 (first published March 29th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Chronicles of a Cruise Ship Crew Member, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chronicles of a Cruise Ship Crew Member

Philip J McQuillan
Jan 11, 2014 Philip J McQuillan rated it really liked it
A BLAST of a book that will get you thinking seriously as well as philosophically about some issues, but only fleetingly, as most of your reading time will be spent snorting in laughter. Wow. "Who would have thought!" moments will alternate with "yup, ain't that the truth?" — especially if you've ever been at work on the sea, and I have. For me it really was a blast, as in, a blast from the past. Anyone new to seafaring will be steeped in ship lore right quick, and anyone that’s an old hand will ...more
Gerald Sinstadt
Jun 01, 2014 Gerald Sinstadt rated it it was ok
Shelves: abandoned
This is a largely below decks portrait of life on a cruise ship. The author, a drummer, spent five apparently enjoyable years being paid and fed to travel the world while gathering material for this book.

Occasionally it is revealing - the chapter on being a drummer, for example - but anyone seeking genuine enlightenment will be confused by chapters setting out what is good and then what is bad, plus chapters on why one should want to do it (seeing different beaches, swimming in different hotel p
Kris
Jul 14, 2015 Kris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maybe it is because I just took a cruise...or it is because I quickly finished this book after reading a much longer one... I just enjoyed this enough to give it 3 stars.
Barbara M
Nov 22, 2016 Barbara M rated it liked it
True story of Joshua, a musician, who spent 5 years as a crew member of a cruise ship. He tells the story of what it is like to be a member of the crew. He reports that while passengers and officers are enjoying excellent food, crew members are served lesser food. He also notes that while everything is done for the passengers comfort - air conditioned suites, etc. - crew members live in tight quarters with poor air quality.

He talks about a very diverse crew - coming from all over the world. He
Marion Marchetto
I have been on numerous cruises on numerous cruise lines and made many friends among the various crews. So I was interested to see how the crew members in Mr. Kinser's book see life aboard ship. While I already knew that crew cabins and crew areas are not like the ones we passengers luxuriate in, I was also surprised to learn some the lingo the crew members use. If you want to know what "red alert" means you must read the book - I won't give it away.

The author covers five years of working on bo
J.D.
Oct 20, 2015 J.D. rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015
It says this is the 3rd Edition and revised - I can't imagine what the original must have been like. At least 10 - 20% of this book was repeated several times and in difference chapters as if it had never been brought up before. It is probably petty on my part but I also don't consider the entertainers on a ship "crew members." There is a world of difference in what entertainers are allowed to do compared to what the majority of those that work in the belly can do. Someday I'd love to read a ...more
David Stone
Jul 14, 2015 David Stone rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a really fun book about that eternally interesting topic: why some people choose to work on the sea. The author dispenses a lot of good information, but the passages in which he waxes philosophical are my favorites. In particular, his observation that it is impossible to dwell on the past on a ship in motion struck me as particularly cogent. But mostly this is a very, very funny book. The author has a true gift for hyperbolic description (I never saw raccoon snouts used in quite this ...more
Julia
Sep 14, 2015 Julia rated it it was ok
A little repetitive

Interesting to read, but would have greatly benefited from some thorough editing. In addition to some typos, the author is simply repetitive. Why say it in two sentences when you could say it in forty? I'd give three stars for material, but 1.5 for the writing.
Brandon
Jan 22, 2015 Brandon rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the book. I'm booked on a 7-night cruise in June, so this was particularly interesting to me. Makes one think about and appreciate the men and women who work hard on cruise ships to make your experience as safe, pleasant and enjoyable as possible.
Nancy
Feb 18, 2015 Nancy rated it really liked it
This was a fun read and lets you know just what they other of what is happening with the crew while you are enjoying the cruise from the topside. He writes very straight forward but with humor.
cat
Feb 24, 2015 cat rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2015
Totally silly and quick read. Ever since our cruise a few years ago, I have been curious about what it must be like to be cruise ship staff/crew. Don't have to wonder anymore...
tbears
May 31, 2016 tbears rated it it was ok
The book could have been half as long with so much repetition. What I got out of it is that he had a love-hate relationship with being a crew member.
Erin Martin
All in all, this was an interesting book. If you can get around the misspelled words and bad grammar, you can find out a lot about being a crew member.
Nicole Girolomo
I enjoyed reading this book, especially while I was on a cruise ship. I did learn a lot but still have many unanswered questions.....
June
Aug 03, 2014 June rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book very much. I love to cruise so the subject was perfect. I do wish the author included interaction with passengers also. I would recommend it to anyone that loves to cruise.
Brenda Clark Thomas
This book gave lots of insight into what it would be like to work on a cruise ship. I gave it three stars because the author kept repeating.
Rachel
Aug 05, 2014 Rachel rated it liked it
This book was like sitting at a bar with someone rambling on about their adventures, nothing ground breaking but interesting, especially if you have cruised before.
Den
Aug 20, 2016 Den added it
Book was very interesting and actually does enlighten you to what the cruise ship crew members endure as we are on board having fun.

I do plan to read more books like this one.
Lori
Lori rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2015
Erin
Erin rated it liked it
Jun 26, 2014
Karen Newton
Karen Newton rated it it was amazing
Nov 14, 2014
Edwin H. Hill
Edwin H. Hill rated it really liked it
Nov 06, 2015
Rita M Kelly
Rita M Kelly rated it liked it
Jul 31, 2015
Anne Robinson
Anne Robinson rated it really liked it
May 03, 2015
Joseph E. Jeanty
Joseph E. Jeanty rated it liked it
Apr 29, 2016
Melody
Melody rated it liked it
May 29, 2016
Kristen Christian
Kristen Christian rated it it was ok
Apr 06, 2015
Paul Kilmer
Paul Kilmer rated it it was ok
Jan 24, 2015
Annette
Annette rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2013
Tammy
Tammy rated it really liked it
Aug 31, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Darwin Slept Here: Discovery, Adventure, and Swimming Iguanas in Charles Darwin's South America
  • Plane Insanity
  • Roads: Driving America's Great Highways
  • Concierge Confidential: The Gloves Come Off—and the Secrets Come Out! Tales from the Man Who Serves Millionaires, Moguls, and Madmen
  • The Truth About Cruise Ships – A Cruise Ship Officer Survives the Work, Adventure, Alcohol, and Sex of Ship Life
  • Cruise Confidential: A Hit Below the Waterline: Where the Crew Lives, Eats, Wars, and Parties: One Crazy Year Working on Cruise Ships
  • The Power of a Whisper: Hearing God, Having the Guts to Respond
  • Bringing Up Kids Without Tearing Them Down: How to Raise Confident, Successful Children
  • Monkeys Are Made of Chocolate: Exotic and Unseen Costa Rica
  • Captain Cook's Journal During the First Voyage Round the World
  • Adventures of a Sea Hunter: In Search of Famous Shipwrecks
  • A House in Bali
  • Hitchhiking Vietnam

“members drink on the cruise ship is another frighteningly awful thing to experience. I am” 0 likes