Start by marking “The Minus Man” as Want to Read:
The Minus Man

Lew McCreary

The Minus Man

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  76 ratings  ·  11 reviews
The Minus Man, adapted and directed by Hampton Fancher is being released as a film in fall 1999 starring Owen Wilson, Janeane Garofalo, Mercedes Ruehl, Dwight Yoakam, and Sheryl Crow. Lew McCreary's brilliant, chilling novel enters the mind of a harmless drifter whose idea of intimacy is murder.
Vann Siegert is by all appearances an ordinary man. With only his truck and a
Published September 1st 1991 by Viking Books

To ask other readers questions about The Minus Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Minus Man

Bagtree
Overall, this book was okay and I don't have many comments to make. However, there is one single batfuck psycho line early on that I really need to share with as many people as possible: "She was helpless because I had showed her my smile, which is like a charming hamster a boy might keep in his pocket and take out only to show on a special occasion to a special friend" (4).

Because that's how you seduce people, you know.

With pocket hamsters.
Kate
Interesting book about a serial killer... The movie version was strange--with a slew of comedy actors like Owen Wilson, Jeanine Garafola--for a fairly dark and somber story.
Jon
I read this after watching the movie and was glad for it. Had I seen the movie after reading, it would have been an utter disappointment. The book has so many more layers too it, is so much darker than the movie.

(view spoiler)
Mia
Great read! Lew McCreary gives us just enough information to send our imaginations deep into the dark side leaving us with unanswered questions(like 'what kind of a sicko was Vann's mother?')and a longing for more!I would have loved a little more info about the hospital & Tim.
I saw the movie first & liked it well enough that I thought the book would be worth a shot(of course, I thought that about Nancy Price's book from which 'Sleeping With the Enemy' was taken & boy! was I wrong abo
Joel Roberts
a psychological thriller with a touch of black comedy. the author did a great job creating (and mostly maintaining) a dark, unsettling tone for the narrative, one that felt almost understated and "quiet". his characters were interesting and well-developed.

apparently, the book was made into a movie, and Owen Wilson stars as the lead (a strange and intriguing choice). i'll have to see if it is on Hulu.
Chris Meger
So good, I never saw the movie. He's a serial killer that uses poisons and is genuinely personable. All told from the killer's POV. And he's crazy in an interesting way, not a Hollywood way, you know?
Robb Todd
Saw the movie first. This is one of those situations where I like them both equally even though they have some differences. I wonder how I would have felt if I read the book first.
Shari
One of the scariest books I have ever read. You will never hitchhike again if you read this.
Steven
A strange and unusual movie - a rather dull murder story.
Thus far, the scariest book I have ever read.
Geoffrey
great companion to the movie
Randa Myers
Randa Myers marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
Sarah Fudge
Sarah Fudge marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Dawn Littlefield
Dawn Littlefield marked it as to-read
May 05, 2014
Ben
Ben marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
Don
Don marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2014
Natalya Kuraeva
Natalya Kuraeva marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2014