Start by marking “Goody Hall” as Want to Read:
Goody Hall

Goody Hall

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  183 ratings  ·  36 reviews
An out-of-work actor, Hercules Feltwright, stumbles into a job tutoring Willet Goody, the only child of a widow living in a large, lonely house. Willet quickly involves his tutor in the search to discover the truth about his father. The mystery unfolds with the discovery of hidden treasure, a gypsy séance, and the frightening exploration of the tomb of Midas Goody.
Published August 21st 2007 by Square Fish (first published 1971)

To ask other readers questions about Goody Hall, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Goody Hall

Emily
I found this book to be tremendously clever when I read it as a child. I particularly liked the parallels between the life-stories of itinerant hat-maker/actor/tutor Hercules Feltwright, and his mythological namesake. For this reason, I chose to read it aloud to my son immediately after finishing D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths, to prove to him that knowing mythology would enrich his life by opening his eyes to allusions, just like I said it would, darn it. Unfortunately Goody Hall just wasn't a ...more
Eden
Hercules Feltwright was an actor, but decided to leave his acting troupe in exchange for the career of a tutor. And a tutor is needed at Goody Hall, where he is headed.

There he begins to tutor Willet Goody, who is the only child of the widow Mrs. Goody.

Willet's father is supposed to be dead, but he doesn't believe that is so. Soon he involves Hercules and together they search for the truth about Willet's father.

This book was a little slow to start, but it turns out to be quite good. There is a
Books Kids Like
When Hercules Feltwright comes to Goody Hall to tutor Willet Goody, he learns of some mysterious events that happened five years before. Mott Snave stole jewels and a Cerberus statue from the church bishop, and John Constant, a local farmer, rode off to catch him. Neither man was ever seen again. During this time, Willet's father, Midas Goody, died when he fell from his horse. Willet tells Hercules that he doesn't believe that his father is dead, because he heard something clank inside the coffi ...more
Ann
Another gem from Natalie Babbitt. This one is about an actor-turned-teacher (he liked playing the role!) named Hercules Feltwright who lands his first job tutoring Willet Goody in his impressive but lonely family home. Hercules misquotations of Shakespeare and herculean (pun intended) feats are most enjoyable, and Willet's longing for the father he doesn't believe is dead is most touching. This is literal cloak and dagger stuff. Adult readers will see what's coming up next, but it's a good read ...more
Emily
I picked this up because I am a big fan of one of the author's other works, Tuck Everlasting. I was mildly disappointed that this didn't rise to the same caliber, but it was still an entertaining tale. Goody Hall is a "long ago tale" involving the residents of a mansion and the inhabitants of a nearby village. Young Willet Goody is convinced his father did not die five years ago as he has been told and enlists the help of his new tutor, Hercules Feltwright, to investigate the matter.
Each charac
LuAnn
A charming story by the author of Tuck Everlasting. The central character, Hercules Feltwright, whose life loosely mirrors the feats of his Greek namesake, is sympathetic and amusing. An interesting plot with a twist you may see coming but is fun, nonetheless, with a good lesson for one character about what really matters.
Chris Popp
I really enjoyed this book. It's the third Natalie Babbitt I've read, after Tuck Everlasting and The Search for Delicious. Her writing is extraordinary. It elevates relatively simple stories into polished gemstones of magical prose. The characters here are quite good too. Witness Hercules Feltwright, who misquotes Shakespeare with impunity and is a young-but-wise tutor. Witness the Goody family, who are not so happy in their beautiful house. Witness Alfreida and Alfresco Rom, and Dora Tidings an ...more
Natalie Gerlach
Interesting group of characters and the mystery to the end of Midas Hall keeps the young reader wanting to know about his demise. Young Willet Goody does not believe that his father past away and convices his former actor - turned tutor to help him investigate about his father and find out if he is still alive.
Kelly
It's a gothic tale of mysterious Goody Hall. Journeyman (Actor/dancer/model -- okay, just actor) Hercules arrives in town and takes on a position tutoring the young and wealthy Willet Goody. Hercules, reluctantly and unfortunately (according to him) destined (according to his mother) to live the heroic life of his mythological namesake, discovers the secrets of the Goody family's success. Overall, the book is funny and suspenseful.
Cathy
Pulled this off the library shelf for my son to give him an alternative to Harry Potter (It's nothing like Harry Potter, I was just looking for other things he might like). I thought I'd just read one page and then set it down and ended up reading the whole book in two hours. It's wonderfully written, great characters, intriguing mystery and a happy ending. Read this one.
Cheryl
I thought this was going to be a re-read - but nothing seemed familiar. In any case, it's a fun and magical mystery, especially for fans of The Search for Delicious but anyone, really, who's looking for a cozy nostalgic comfort read.
Caseyazalea
Just reread this one today after finding a copy at the library book sale. I still love Hercules Feltwright and the gentle humor in this charming little mystery.
Jim Sibigtroth
A great mystery story with a great message about what is really important. Fun and interesting with many surprising twists and surprises. I recommend it highly for any reader from third grade through adult. So far all of Natalie Babbitt's books I have read have been good, but a few like this one are much better than just good.
Joyce
This is the first book by Natalie Babbitt that I have read. I enjoyed this mystery so much that I must look up some more of her books to read.

It seems this tale is meant for tweens and teens, but I enjoyed it immensely.
Zina
I really enjoyed reading Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt, so when I saw this book, I picked it up. It was a fun short read. A young person would need to be old enough to put the pieces together to figure out the mystery.
Judy Templeton-sims
This is a childrens story, about a boy who was told his father passed away. I thought the story may have been interesting in the late 18 hundreds. I can't see any children in this time era enjoying it.
Bibliomama
Sweet story about a little boy who believes his father is still alive (clank) and the tutor who helps him discover the truth thereby proving his own worth. Not Babbitt's best maybe, but still goody.
Lauren
A quick, easy read and a cute story. The plot was interesting and I didn't want to put the book down, but it wasn't too deep or philosophical like Tuck Everlasting. Check it out.
David
What a fun, easy read. It was a little predictable, but the characters were likable, the plot moved quickly, and there was at least one surprise at the end I wasn't expecting.
Janelle
I kept waiting for a spark that would prove this was written by the author of Tuck Everlasting. It never showed. It literally took me months to make myself finish.
Jessica
Easy read. Probably intended for a younger audience. I could tell half way through the story what the outcome would be. But I think it would keep kids entertained.
Marcie
Chose this because it is the author of Tuck Everlasting (one of my favorites of all time). It was an easy read with a little bit of mystery. It was okay.
Lauren
This was a great mystery I think Natalie Babbitt is a great writer. She's writen a few fantasy, a mystery, and a folktale. So far that I have read.
Matthew
I haven't read this since I was a kid, but I remember loving it. I'll have to re-read it and see if my rating holds.
Debbie
Jan 20, 2012 Debbie marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Hercules Feltwright, sometime actor and would-be tutor, walks into a sort of mystery
Jenn Estepp
Pretty entertaining as I read it, but I almost instantly forgot everything about it.
Linda
Very good story with nice twists and turns. I think kids will enjoy this one.
Lydia
It was okay, but it didn't even compare with Tuck Everlasting
Amy
Not one appearance by His Dark Majesty. Charming but dispensable.
Theresa
Not that entertaining to me...
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Cuckoo Tree
  • Journey to America (Journey to America, #1)
  • Out of the Dark
  • The Great Little Madison
  • The Death-Defying Pepper Roux
  • The Adventures of Prickly Porky
  • Killer Koalas from Outer Space and Lots of Other Very Bad Stuff that Will Make Your Brain Explode!
  • The Window
  • Sophie Simon Solves Them All
  • Books Children Love: A Guide to the Best Children's Literature
  • Amo, Amas, Amat and More
  • The Aims of Education
  • Throwing Shadows
  • The Kingfisher History Encyclopedia
  • Are All the Giants Dead?
  • Three Terrible Trins
  • The Poet Slave of Cuba: A Biography of Juan Francisco Manzano
1954
Natalie Babbitt was born Natalie Zane Moore on July 28, 1932, in Dayton, Ohio. She attended Laurel School for Girls, and then Smith College. She has 3 children and is married to Samuel Fisher Babbitt. She is a grandmother of 3 and lives in Rhode Island.

She is also a board member of the National Children's Book and Literacy Alliance a national not-for-profit that actively advocates for literacy, li
More about Natalie Babbitt...
Tuck Everlasting The Search for Delicious Kneeknock Rise The Eyes of the Amaryllis The Devil's Storybook