Start by marking “If I Ran for President” as Want to Read:
If I Ran for President

If I Ran for President

A multicultural cast of children imagines what it would be like to run for president. The entertaining yet informative text is a good conversation starter for discussions on the election process. A note about this process accompanies the story. Full color.
Published January 1st 2007 by Albert Whitman & Company

To ask other readers questions about If I Ran for President, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about If I Ran for President

Akilah
Dec 16, 2016 Akilah rated it it was ok
I wonder how long it will take for me to not be sad when I read a book that treats the presidency as a serious job that the person running for the office should take seriously.

"Then I'd ask myself: 'Am I the best person for the job? Am I ready to work VERY, VERY, VERY hard for my country? Do lots of people believe in me, and will they help me run for office?'

If I could answer yes to all of those questions [emphasis mine], then I'd declare my candidacy."

Sigh.

As for the book itself, it's a little
Benjamin Miller
Apr 14, 2012 Benjamin Miller rated it it was amazing
I read If I Ran for President by Catherine Stier, which is a contemporary realistic fiction picture book. This book is about explaining how the Presidential election works in a story about how these children would accomplish that. The first page explains the basics about the election. Then the book explains if you want to be president, first you have to run a campaign. Then win the primaries and caucuses in the states that choose the delegates that go to the national convention for the party tha ...more
Maija
Oct 31, 2016 Maija rated it it was amazing
Adults should read this book too. Favorite quote:""If I ran for president and lost...I'd make a telephone call to offer my best wishes and support to the winner-our next president!" Just sayin...
Alexandra
Nov 07, 2016 Alexandra rated it liked it
3.5
I can work with this
Very detailed but I can cut stuff out for my student
Chelsea Pelzer
This book shares what you have to do to become president. It explains how much work is put into it and what qualifications you would need. I like this book for showing students how important the president is and how it is chosen very carefully. I also would use this to show students that anyone can run for president including them.
Christine Turner
If you ran for president, you would have to do a lot of hard work. You would study the nation's problems, tell the American people about your platform, select a running mate, and debate your opponents on live television.
Ashley Simpson
Dec 08, 2016 Ashley Simpson rated it liked it
Shelves: reading-350
In this book, it discusses the process to becoming the United States President. It gives all the details about campaigning, and primaries, and then talks about how the electoral college must vote for you as well. Finally, you can win the election and become president!

This was a really good explanation of what it's like to try to become a president. It is really basic and gives all the details and captures the reader's attention with all the illustrations.

This would be good to read to a classroo
Allison Boots
If I Ran for President is a book that helps children see what all goes into running for president. It is not all easy work. It would be great in the classroom to help students see how hard people in power have to work to get there.
Megan McKenny
Apr 23, 2015 Megan McKenny rated it really liked it
Personal reaction: I really enjoyed this book, including it's illustrations and definitions. It is great that it is from a child's perspective and gives many views. It talks in a way that children will understand and will prompt questions and interest in the topic.

Purpose(s): This would be a great read-aloud when doing a social studies unit on the American government or elections. It gives an explanation in ways children can understand about many of the components that go into running for presid
Melanie Johnson
If I Ran for President is a non-fiction book that walks children through the electoral process. It is an informative and a straightforward book that looks at the election process from the point of view of the candidate. As well as the explanation of the process from the decision to become a candidate to the inauguration. Along the way the book describes the terms and ideas of a delegates, caucuses,and the party system which are the democratic and republican. This is first time that I have come a ...more
Tyffani Mine
Oct 22, 2013 Tyffani Mine rated it it was amazing
This fictional narrative is about six multicultural students and their ideas about the process of running for president. While imagining what it would be like to run for president they explain the steps to take like public speeches, campaigning, advertisements, and debates. The events of the story are narrated through each child’s perspective but reveals informative and factual information about presidential duties and the election process.As a teacher, I would use this book for older aged stude ...more
Christian Houseworth
This is a great book that integrates social studies and literature. This book would be a great book to use when teaching students the importance of elections, voting, president’s day, etc. This book explains the whole process one would go through if they wanted to become a president. This book makes the teaching of the election process of running for the president of the U.S easier and more appropriate for younger students. This book also displays children from different cultural and ethnic back ...more
Kate Puleo Unger
Jul 11, 2016 Kate Puleo Unger rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books-read
If I Ran for President does a great job of outlining the political process - caucuses, primaries, conventions, election day, the inauguration. I think I even learned something from this book!

I read this one to Christopher because it had a lot of words. It was a little too advanced for him, but it was still good. It's written from the standpoint of a boy telling all the things that he'd do and that would happen if he ran for president.

I would recommend it for older kids - maybe ages 8+ - during t
Teri Swain
Oct 27, 2014 Teri Swain rated it liked it
This is a realistic fiction book. I would recommend it for grades 1st-3rd. If I Ran For President is explaining how the presidential election works. The story includes children of all races and there story about what would happen if they ran for president. It also includes facts such as how the Presidential election works ad talks about how you have to run a campaign if you want to be president. This story is great because it not only shows how the election works it shows that anybody can run fo ...more
Mary Ann
Oct 17, 2012 Mary Ann rated it really liked it
What would it be like to run for president? I enjoyed sharing this book with students, helping them imagine what it would be like to be a candidate. The pictures show all sorts of kids asking questions like, "Am I the best person for the job? Am I ready to work VERY, VERY, VERY hard for my country? Do lots of people believe in me, and will they help me run for office?” My students appreciated Avril's multicultural cast of kids. Stier writes in a fun, personal way while integrating some key elect ...more
Elisa Pereyra-Molina
Nov 19, 2016 Elisa Pereyra-Molina rated it it was ok
Kim
Mar 18, 2015 Kim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just what you do if you ran for President? This is a story that easily explains the election process in the United States for children to understand. The illustrations is representative of many in our society and from both genders. Let's kids know that anyone of them can become President. I love this book, and would love to have it in the classroom during election time. It would be a great way to model mock elections in your own classroom.
Kathryn Sublett
Teachers could use this book to introduce persuasive writing. The students would write a piece to persuade voters to elect them for president. Learning how to write a persuasive paper in this way gives students real scenarios in which persuasion is necessary. This activity would be appropriate for students in third grade.
Jen
Nov 26, 2016 Jen rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens
A decent overview of the presidential election process in the USA. However, it neglects to explain one of the basic requirements to run for president, that being the minimum age requirement. Also, it was a bit confusing when the narrative switched from one kid to another with no intro or explanation.
Jackie
Feb 14, 2010 Jackie rated it really liked it
A kid friendly view of what it means to run for president, vote for president, conduct a campaign, and become president. If I Ran for President will get kids thinking about the duties and jobs the president has.

Used for "Who is Our President and What Does He Do All Day?" storytime-February, 2010.
Sandy Brehl
Story suits even young audiences, but the content could serve well through middle school for vocabulary development, political processes, and as a conversation starter, especially during the election season.
Karen
Feb 16, 2015 Karen rated it really liked it
Shelves: jacob, ellie, mom
Jake and I rated this 3 stars, Ellie 1 star. This book has a lot of great information (I certainly learned a few things :)...2/17/15

Read this book again for President's Day. The kids enjoyed it more this year and rated it 4 stars..rb 2/15/16
Sq.Hill Library
Feb 04, 2008 Sq.Hill Library rated it really liked it
Shelves: kristen, non-fiction
Really well written introduction to the election process for preschool through kindergarten. Talks about debates, caucuses and primaries, conventions, the election, and the inauguration. This needs to go on our list of books to buy early this year so that we have it for the summer and fall.
Teri
Nov 06, 2012 Teri rated it really liked it
This book does a great job of explaining the process of becoming the president at a level kids can understand. It explains a lot, but isn't so long that you can't read it in one sitting. My 4th graders really enjoyed it.
Emily Lanpher
Sep 29, 2016 Emily Lanpher rated it it was amazing
This is a great book that teaches children about different parts of the election process! Very informative, great illustrations, and easy to read. A must-have for elementary classrooms, particularly during election season or government instruction.
Theresa
Jul 31, 2016 Theresa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Great introduction to presidential elections. Begins with person considering the presidency to the inauguration. Buy this one for the library.
Oct 10, 2012 Sarah rated it liked it
Very informational, might be more information than every child needs to know. Interesting book could be used usefully but also informative in an interesting way.
Mary Isho
Nov 28, 2012 Mary Isho rated it it was amazing
This book is great when introducing the election process. It gives students an idea of what a president does and they could think of what they would do if they were president.
Suz
Dec 20, 2012 Suz rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-kid-lit
This was on our fall Scholastic Book Fair and that was perfect timing. I was able to use the book with students as we studied the election process.
Liz
Liz rated it really liked it
Dec 08, 2016