Start by marking “Exceptional Clearance” as Want to Read:
Exceptional Clearance

Exceptional Clearance

3.49  ·  Rating Details  ·  154 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Detective Lieutenant John Vinda is willing to break the law to break his latest case when a ruthless killer begins stalking young women on the streets of New York. By the author of One Police Plaza. Reprint. K.
Published June 7th 1995 by Random House Value Publishing (first published August 20th 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Exceptional Clearance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Exceptional Clearance

Judyw Winkleman
Nov 21, 2014 Judyw Winkleman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book. The story captured me from the beginning and definitely climaxed. A lieutenant who had been given desk duty due to some previous event, was brought back to action when a serial killer began terrorizing the town. The characters in the book were written with real-life descriptions. The only part I struggled with was the many acronyms used throughout the book. I will be looking forward to reading other books by this author.
Lianna
Aug 04, 2009 Lianna rated it liked it
Contains great early 90's cop dialog like "I'll teach you some gratitude with that attitude!" and "You can't play grab-ass with me, I'm the king of grab-ass!"

Serious overuse of the phrase "the Job" and people who look 10 years older after something stressful happens.

Still not sure how Exceptional Clearance procedures tie in with the book although it was explained two separate, foreshadowing times.
Fredrick Danysh
Nov 21, 2014 Fredrick Danysh rated it really liked it
New York City Detective Lieutenant John Vinda is assigned to the dead-end job of missing persons following the the death of his wife. When a serial killer strikes the city is is recalled to homicide and given the case with instructions to solve quickly using any method to do so before the killer strikes aagain.
Dale
Apr 13, 2013 Dale rated it liked it
An OK Thriller

Synopsis: There have been a series of violent murders involving women with no known connection having their throats slashed with a some kind of weapon that the NY City coroners have never seen before. A special task force is set up to catch the mysterious killer and Lt. John Vinda, a tainted cop is placed in charge of the investigation (partially because he's that good and partially because he will be easy to pin the blame on since he is already damaged goods).

Exceptional Clearanc
Marlene
Jan 05, 2015 Marlene rated it liked it
A serial murderer is on the loose. The book is not so much as whodunnit, although the reader learns that in bits and pieces, but how the police discover whodunnit. I thought it was interesting. It took me awhile to get into it, but once I did, I really enjoyed it.
Joni Holland
Jan 18, 2016 Joni Holland rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Michael
After reading Caunitz's earlier police procedural, "Suspects", I was super excited about another gritty NYPD novel. No such luck here...the plot was ridiculous, characters were one-dimensional, and the ending was so rushed that I felt as if it were like watching time-lapsed photography. Skip this one. Since this was written closer to the time the author passed away, I'm guessing he may have been losing his touch.
Joshua Emil
May 05, 2012 Joshua Emil rated it really liked it
"Exceptional circumstances require exceptional actions". Three seemingly random murders turn in to a delusional act of terror but Lieutenant John Vinda found the connection in these murders.

Caunitz's novel is an exciting good read where experiences of a detective becomes real in print.
Bill Baker
Jan 21, 2013 Bill Baker rated it really liked it
I picked this book up from a used shelf because it was a Cop Thriller. It started slow and I almost put it down, but I had a 3 hour flight and had nothing else to read. I can see this as a movie and the ending was enjoyable. Good Guys win again.
Sheldon Lehman
Sep 14, 2012 Sheldon Lehman rated it it was ok
Just not a fan of this guy.
Joe Del
Joe Del marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Barbara Zanyk
Barbara Zanyk marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Carlos
Carlos marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2016
Sam Honeycutt
Sam Honeycutt marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2016
Nanette
Nanette rated it it was amazing
Mar 27, 2016
Greg
Greg added it
Feb 25, 2016
Azeem
Azeem rated it liked it
Feb 22, 2016
Elisabeth
Elisabeth marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2016
Hope
Hope added it
Feb 12, 2016
Sue
Sue marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
JFM
JFM added it
Feb 03, 2016
David Seaman
David Seaman rated it liked it
Jan 30, 2016
Jerry
Jerry marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Paul
Paul added it
Jan 21, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Gideon
  • Damned in Paradise (Nathan Heller, #9)
  • Money to Burn (Casey Jones Mysteries #3)
  • Puss in Boots
  • The Buck Passes Flynn (Flynn, #2)
  • The Defense
  • I'd Rather Be in Philadelphia (Amanda Pepper, #3)
  • Murder Suicide (Frank Clevenger, #5)
  • Naked Justice (Ben Kincaid, #6)
  • Carry Me Across the Water
  • Remember
  • The Mexican Tree Duck
  • Apaches
  • Wildtrack
William J. Caunitz was a New York City Police Department officer who used his own experiences to write best-selling thrillers.

After serving in the United States Marine Corps, and working for an insurance company, he joined the NYPD in his twenties. He first worked as a patrolman, and eventually rose through the ranks to become a Lieutenant, followed by an assignment as a detective squad commander
More about William J. Caunitz...