Murder on the Yukon Quest

Murder on the Yukon Quest (Alex Jensen & Jessie Arnold #6)

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  522 ratings  ·  33 reviews
Jessie and her team of dogs are competing in the toughest dog sled race in the world -- with an unknown killer on their trail. Alone in the vast white wilderness, Jessie learns that a young novice racer she met at the start of the race has been abducted. The girl's father is warned that no one but Jessie Arnold is to be told...or the girl will die. Speeding through the twi...more
Published July 1st 1999 by William Morrow & Company (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Murder on the Yukon Quest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder on the Yukon Quest

Jan C
I like these books. The writing isn't that great but it is usually pretty adventurous. I know that I will never be a dog musher or be in the Iditarod or the Yukon Quest. So I don't mind reading about them.

Here, Jessie Arnold has made her first entry in the Yukon Quest race from Whitehorse to Fairbanks. First one thing goes wrong and then another. Two of her dogs disappear (but they come back), two of her dogs get pulled from the race because of shenanigans being pulled by one official or anothe...more
Kat Chan
The writing is a little heavy and slow-going. Certainly well-written enough that you don't put it down, but at the same time, you don't care all that much about the character. I wanted to find out "whodunnit, so there is something to be said for that, but I doubt I'll read another Sue Henry book unless there are only worse options around. Where reading Jack London, I was fascinated with Alaska and dog mushing, I find Sue Henry has proven to be how absolutely unappealing it would be for me. She s...more
Jessie and her dogs are racing in the Yukon Quest, a more challenging and remote trail than the Iditarod which has become very commercial. Alex is called back to Idaho due to a family tragedy and will not be present at the race to support Jessie. Shortly after the race starts, a young female sledder is kidnapped and held for ransom. Her father is warned that the police must not be involved, only Jessie. Soon, she and her dogs are in danger and must rely on each other for rescue as they are in su...more
Maria Crosman
I like her writing and the details about life in Alaska. about Alaska
Judith
Sue Henry writes very much like what she is: a teacher of writing. Good, but a little stodgy. She also dwells overlong on description of how to hook up dogs to a sled, stow equipment, etc.

Her description of Jesse Arnold is not that of a sympathetic person; she seems self-centered, careless of other people and ungenerous. She made the portrayal of the dogs wonderful.

The ending is improbable, to say the least.
Ann
The Yukon Quest is another dog sled race-one of the hardest in Alaska. Again as with all Sue Henry's books; very suspenceful, a pageturner, beautiful descriptions of scenery, and what is expected of the race dogs. All of her mystery books should be read in order, beginning with Murder on the Iditarod Trail, as main character's love life develops and some of her experiences are continued in each book.
Jack
An excellent entry in the series. I was impressed that the story was able to hold interest since I was worried that it was yet another "musher" tale but the author was able to weave an interesting yarn. A bit concerned about how the ending went with the main charaters.. a bit of a cliffhanger. Very much a page turned in the second half! Another one down on the ALASKA shelf!!
Ingrid
For some reason, I just love Alaskan murder mysteries and this series by Sue Henry is just wonderful. Her vivid descriptions of the landscape make you feel like your standing right there in the woods with her. I also like when her stories are set in the Yukon Territory. This book was particularly fun since I canoed the Yukon River and had been to many of the places she mentions.
Brad McKenna
This book gave great insight into the world of dogsled racing. Very interesting stuff how much goes into managing a kennel and then taking the dogs on a race such as the Iditarod or the book's eponymous race: Yukon Quest. The characters and plot aren't masterpieces, but I don't think that counts against it. If you'd like to learn about dogsled racing, pick this up.
Sabeeka
The landscape for the race, How and what to feed your dogs during a race , and what to wear in extreme temperatures .. so i think i really know about all of that ..:). Not a bad mystery aspect . And too bad for Alex. Some times all a musher can say is i love u but because you made a decision on your own, i don't really think it matters anymore...!!!
Anna
I enjoyed this one. After the first in the series, Henry did not center the mysteries around a dog race, and I find that framework and the information about racing to be one of the most compelling aspects of this series. This was a welcome return. I was about to give up on this series, but I think I might go trade for the next one after reading this.
Barbra
Great story, a kidnapping, a murder, and an exciting trip over the Yukon Quest via dog sled. The author Sue Henry has a way with words. You can visualize the wonders of the scenery as you travel the 1000 mile trip via dog sled from Whitehorse, Canada to Fairbanks, Alaska. Apparently this competition tries to rival the Iditarod.
VerJean
Set in Alaska.
Having been there several times and eager to return and spend much much more time there, I'm enjoying these Sue Henry books set there.
Good mysteries and good info on more of Alaska locales, traditions.
I'll be reading the series.
Read in 2004.
Lbaker
Since I picked up Murder on the Iditarod Trail many years ago, I have never been disappointed by a Sue Henry novel.

This one was set on the trails during a dog sled race, limiting the suspect pool, yet still managed to surprise me at the end.
Kae Cheatham
Great descriptions of the Alaskan landscape and environment as musher Jessie Arnold takes on the 1000 mile Yukon Quest and becomes embroiled in a hijack/murder situation where her life is on the line. Good details about the racing game.
Marilyn
Another murder mystery for Jesse, a musher living in Alaska. Somehow, I end up dreaming that I too am a musher. Pretty good for a 58 year old lady! Predictable, yet fun.
Barbara
Poor plot. I learned a lot about bobsledding but that was it. If I wasn't reading it for book club I don't think I would have finished it.

Amateurish writing.
It was pretty slow moving, too much repetition and not enough suspense, but it was not a bad book. It was a quick read and gave some new insights to sled racing.
Deb
The story line was good and I enjoyed it because it takes place in the Yukon and Alaska, which I just visited. Not a very compelling writing style, however.
Karren
I find it very interesting reading about the Alaskan wilderness and Jessie's experiences as a musher, I will definitely read the rest of this series
Shirley
Too much descriptive passages on taking care of the dogs and what she had to eat and not enough emotion and intrigue and suspense.
Nicole
Liked this one,because Jessie becomes the main character. Not that I don't like Alex, but I just like Jessie more
Matthew
Another good mystery. Extra bonuses on this one: deeper insight into mushing and character-development twist!
Sandy Weir
Another thriller and with the dogs being more in the focus again! I liked that.
Trish
Back to what Henry does better - the mushing and a more normal mystery.
Linda
I really liked this book. Kept you guessing right till the end.
Cindy
Another great book by Sue Henry. Very different, very good!!
Anna
I live in ALaska so any books that take place here i like.
Danielle
Great book to read each year before the Quest starts.
Jo Anne
I pretty much have read this entire series :)
my comments 1 7 Dec 29, 2008 06:15AM
  • Nothing Gold Can Stay (Liam Campbell, #3)
  • The Recycled Citizen (Kelling & Bittersohn, #7)
  • Blood Lure (Anna Pigeon, #9)
  • Death in Bloodhound Red (Jo Beth Sidden "Bloodhound" Mystery #1)
Sue Henry is the author of six novels in her award-winning Alaska mystery series: Murder on the Iditarod Trail, Termination Dust, Sleeping Lady, Death Takes Passage, Deadfall, and Murder on the Yukon Quest. She has lived in Alaska for almost aquarter of a century, and brings history, Alaskan lore, and the majestic beauty of the vast landscape to her mysteries. Based in Anchorage, where she teaches...more
More about Sue Henry...
Murder on the Iditarod Trail (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #1) Dead North (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #8) The Serpents Trail (Maxie and Stretch, #1) Murder at Five Finger Light (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #11) Beneath the Ashes (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #7)