Start by marking “Murder on the Yukon Quest” as Want to Read:
Murder on the Yukon Quest

Murder on the Yukon Quest (Alex Jensen & Jessie Arnold #6)

Jessie and her team of dogs are competing in the toughest dog sled race in the world -- with an unknown killer on their trail. Alone in the vast white wilderness, Jessie learns that a young novice racer she met at the start of the race has been abducted. The girl's father is warned that no one but Jessie Arnold is to be told...or the girl will die. Speeding through the twi ...more
Published July 1st 1999 by William Morrow & Company (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Murder on the Yukon Quest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder on the Yukon Quest

Loraine
Jessie and her team of dogs are competing in the toughest dog sled race in the world—the Yukon Quest. Alone in the vast white wilderness, she's suddenly facing a danger worse than anything Nature has to offer. A young novice racer she met at the start of the race is abducted, and the girl's frantic father is warned that no one but Jessie Arnold is to be told or the girl will die.

Book 6 in the series is light on mystery and is more the story of the Yukon Quest dog sled race. If you are a page tur
Lindsay Boitnott
Jan 28, 2015 Lindsay Boitnott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I discovered Sue Henry five years ago while wondering through the local library on a dreary January afternoon. I had just moved to Florida and, for some reason, my heart longed to read an Alaskan mystery. Sue Henry delivered and I ended up reading all her books in the library that rainy month.

Murder on the Yukon Quest is the 5th book in the Alex & Jessie series but the first one I read. Jessie Arnold has decided to run her team on the Yukon Quest, a 1,000 mile race from Whitehorse, Yukon to
Jan C
Oct 04, 2009 Jan C rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, sport, adventure
I like these books. The writing isn't that great but it is usually pretty adventurous. I know that I will never be a dog musher or be in the Iditarod or the Yukon Quest. So I don't mind reading about them.

Here, Jessie Arnold has made her first entry in the Yukon Quest race from Whitehorse to Fairbanks. First one thing goes wrong and then another. Two of her dogs disappear (but they come back), two of her dogs get pulled from the race because of shenanigans being pulled by one official or anothe
Siina Morin
Even though this book was slow to get going, I love Sue Henry's stories in the Alaskan/Yukon wilderness! An adventure/love story with a murder/crime to solve. Sue gives a great description and feel for what it would be like in the zero degree blizzards of the Yukon, and how Jessie Arnold manages a team of sled dogs on the Yukon Quest race!
Kat Chan
The writing is a little heavy and slow-going. Certainly well-written enough that you don't put it down, but at the same time, you don't care all that much about the character. I wanted to find out "whodunnit, so there is something to be said for that, but I doubt I'll read another Sue Henry book unless there are only worse options around. Where reading Jack London, I was fascinated with Alaska and dog mushing, I find Sue Henry has proven to be how absolutely unappealing it would be for me. She s ...more
Patsy
Jul 11, 2016 Patsy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jessie and her team of dogs are competing in the toughest dog sled race in the world--with an unknown killer on their trail. The beautiful Alaskan wilderness is the setting for this novel, by the author of Murder on the Iditarod Trail.
Pam Bales
Jan 22, 2016 Pam Bales rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned, cozy
Jessie Arnold drives sled dogs in Alaska and solves murders and crimes along the way. I find them an enjoyable escape from daily life and a foray into the Alaska wild and joys and dangers of the sport.
Jewett
Feb 03, 2015 Jewett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this series not only gives you thrilling mysteries, it gives you great mental pictures of Alaska. It covers the history, dog sledding and geography in a delightfully entertaining way.
Jessie and her dogs are racing in the Yukon Quest, a more challenging and remote trail than the Iditarod which has become very commercial. Alex is called back to Idaho due to a family tragedy and will not be present at the race to support Jessie. Shortly after the race starts, a young female sledder is kidnapped and held for ransom. Her father is warned that the police must not be involved, only Jessie. Soon, she and her dogs are in danger and must rely on each other for rescue as they are in su ...more
Maria Crosman
May 25, 2014 Maria Crosman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like her writing and the details about life in Alaska. about Alaska
Judith
Mar 13, 2011 Judith rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sue Henry writes very much like what she is: a teacher of writing. Good, but a little stodgy. She also dwells overlong on description of how to hook up dogs to a sled, stow equipment, etc.

Her description of Jesse Arnold is not that of a sympathetic person; she seems self-centered, careless of other people and ungenerous. She made the portrayal of the dogs wonderful.

The ending is improbable, to say the least.
Ann
Sep 11, 2009 Ann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Yukon Quest is another dog sled race-one of the hardest in Alaska. Again as with all Sue Henry's books; very suspenceful, a pageturner, beautiful descriptions of scenery, and what is expected of the race dogs. All of her mystery books should be read in order, beginning with Murder on the Iditarod Trail, as main character's love life develops and some of her experiences are continued in each book.
Katharine Ott
Oct 13, 2015 Katharine Ott rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-thriller
"Murder on the Yukon Quest" - written by Sue Henry and published in 1999 by William Morrow & Company. This book was too similar to another recent read, so I did not finish it.
Jack
Jun 29, 2011 Jack rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: alaska
An excellent entry in the series. I was impressed that the story was able to hold interest since I was worried that it was yet another "musher" tale but the author was able to weave an interesting yarn. A bit concerned about how the ending went with the main charaters.. a bit of a cliffhanger. Very much a page turned in the second half! Another one down on the ALASKA shelf!!
Ingrid
For some reason, I just love Alaskan murder mysteries and this series by Sue Henry is just wonderful. Her vivid descriptions of the landscape make you feel like your standing right there in the woods with her. I also like when her stories are set in the Yukon Territory. This book was particularly fun since I canoed the Yukon River and had been to many of the places she mentions.
Brad McKenna
This book gave great insight into the world of dogsled racing. Very interesting stuff how much goes into managing a kennel and then taking the dogs on a race such as the Iditarod or the book's eponymous race: Yukon Quest. The characters and plot aren't masterpieces, but I don't think that counts against it. If you'd like to learn about dogsled racing, pick this up.
Sabeeka
The landscape for the race, How and what to feed your dogs during a race , and what to wear in extreme temperatures .. so i think i really know about all of that ..:). Not a bad mystery aspect . And too bad for Alex. Some times all a musher can say is i love u but because you made a decision on your own, i don't really think it matters anymore...!!!
Anna
Dec 22, 2010 Anna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this one. After the first in the series, Henry did not center the mysteries around a dog race, and I find that framework and the information about racing to be one of the most compelling aspects of this series. This was a welcome return. I was about to give up on this series, but I think I might go trade for the next one after reading this.
Barbra
May 01, 2009 Barbra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Great story, a kidnapping, a murder, and an exciting trip over the Yukon Quest via dog sled. The author Sue Henry has a way with words. You can visualize the wonders of the scenery as you travel the 1000 mile trip via dog sled from Whitehorse, Canada to Fairbanks, Alaska. Apparently this competition tries to rival the Iditarod.
VerJean
Set in Alaska.
Having been there several times and eager to return and spend much much more time there, I'm enjoying these Sue Henry books set there.
Good mysteries and good info on more of Alaska locales, traditions.
I'll be reading the series.
Read in 2004.
Lbaker
Jul 11, 2014 Lbaker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-female
Since I picked up Murder on the Iditarod Trail many years ago, I have never been disappointed by a Sue Henry novel.

This one was set on the trails during a dog sled race, limiting the suspect pool, yet still managed to surprise me at the end.
Kae Cheatham
Jan 22, 2011 Kae Cheatham rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Great descriptions of the Alaskan landscape and environment as musher Jessie Arnold takes on the 1000 mile Yukon Quest and becomes embroiled in a hijack/murder situation where her life is on the line. Good details about the racing game.
Marilyn
Another murder mystery for Jesse, a musher living in Alaska. Somehow, I end up dreaming that I too am a musher. Pretty good for a 58 year old lady! Predictable, yet fun.
Barbara
May 17, 2014 Barbara rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Poor plot. I learned a lot about bobsledding but that was it. If I wasn't reading it for book club I don't think I would have finished it.

Amateurish writing.
Mar 20, 2011 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was pretty slow moving, too much repetition and not enough suspense, but it was not a bad book. It was a quick read and gave some new insights to sled racing.
Deb
Aug 21, 2009 Deb rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story line was good and I enjoyed it because it takes place in the Yukon and Alaska, which I just visited. Not a very compelling writing style, however.
Karren
Aug 12, 2013 Karren rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I find it very interesting reading about the Alaskan wilderness and Jessie's experiences as a musher, I will definitely read the rest of this series
Shirley
Mar 29, 2011 Shirley rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Too much descriptive passages on taking care of the dogs and what she had to eat and not enough emotion and intrigue and suspense.
Nicole
Sep 27, 2012 Nicole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: alaska-mystery
Liked this one,because Jessie becomes the main character. Not that I don't like Alex, but I just like Jessie more
Matthew
Jul 24, 2014 Matthew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Another good mystery. Extra bonuses on this one: deeper insight into mushing and character-development twist!
my comments 1 8 Dec 29, 2008 06:15AM
  • Nothing Gold Can Stay (Liam Campbell, #3)
  • The Recycled Citizen (Kelling & Bittersohn, #7)
  • Death in Bloodhound Red (Jo Beth Sidden "Bloodhound" Mystery #1)
  • Hunting Season (Anna Pigeon, #10)
Sue Henry is the author of six novels in her award-winning Alaska mystery series: Murder on the Iditarod Trail, Termination Dust, Sleeping Lady, Death Takes Passage, Deadfall, and Murder on the Yukon Quest. She has lived in Alaska for almost aquarter of a century, and brings history, Alaskan lore, and the majestic beauty of the vast landscape to her mysteries. Based in Anchorage, where she teaches ...more
More about Sue Henry...

Alex Jensen & Jessie Arnold (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Murder on the Iditarod Trail (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #1)
  • Termination Dust (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #2)
  • Sleeping Lady (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #3)
  • Death Takes Passage (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #4)
  • Deadfall (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #5)
  • Beneath the Ashes (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #7)
  • Dead North (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #8)
  • Cold Company (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #9)
  • Death Trap (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #10)
  • Murder at Five Finger Light (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #11)