Start by marking “Designed for Devotion: A 365-Day Journey from Genesis to Revelation” as Want to Read:
Designed for Devotion: A 365-Day Journey from Genesis to Revelation

Designed for Devotion: A 365-Day Journey from Genesis to Revelation

Devotionals are designed to bring the reader into a more intimate relationship with God. Dianne Neal Matthews knows no better way for believers to know God more intimately than to immerse themselves in his Word. To that end, her new daily devotional combines fascinating historical background information about the Bible with practical application that readers can implement ...more
Published September 1st 2012 by Baker Books

To ask other readers questions about Designed for Devotion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Designed for Devotion

Melanie
Jan 02, 2013 Melanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: devotionals
The title has a 3 fold meaning:

1. We are designed to be devoted to God

2. God designed his word to help us have a personal relationship with Him

3. The book will help increase our devotion to God and his word

Each book of the Bible is included in this study and with each we are shown some details from the book

-purpose

-author

-historical background

-highlight of characters

-passages that portray Jesus

This study goes along wonderfully with my reading the Bible in a year study. It reinforces what I am al
Dianne Butts
Feb 22, 2013 Dianne Butts rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved the idea of this book from the moment I saw it. That's because I love anything that can help me understand the Bible as a whole, as God's story throughout history. This author took on that daunting task and made it appealing at one-page-per-day.

Most of the daily entries (though not all) have from one Bible verse to several chapters that can be read as background to the daily reading if you want to (but reading those chapters is not required). However these readings would not work as a r
Jolene
Aug 25, 2013 Jolene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christians
Biblical study is a lifelong apprenticeship for the dedicated Christian. Although no book can replace studying the Bible itself, Designed for Devotion: A 365-Day Journey from Genesis to Revelation offers a companion-of-sorts to the reader who desires to increase his or her knowledge of the Bible and dedication to God. In Designed for Devotion, Bible teacher Dianne Neal Matthews comprehensively explains the main stories, people and teachings of the Bible. Additionally, she provides relevant ...more
Nov 01, 2012 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Title: DESIGNED FOR DEVOTION
Author: Dianne Neal Matthews
Publisher: Baker Books
September 2012
ISBN: 978-0801072734
Genre: Devotional

DESIGNED FOR DEVOTION is a 365-day journey from Genesis to Revelation. Since there is no better way to know God more intimately other than to immerse yourself totally in His Word, DESIGNED FOR DEVOTION is designed to do just that. It combines fascinating historical background information about the Bible with practical application you can implement in your life each day
Sunflower
A unique devotional that takes you from Genesis to Revelation, "Designed for Devotion: A 365-Day Journey from Genesis to Revelation" by Dianne Neal Matthews, takes the reader through the books of the Bible in 365, with snippets of passages, taken from each book.

This is a great way to get an inside look at each book of the bible, particularly if you haven't read all the books of the bible, while at the same time, spending each day, uplifted and encouraged by God's word.

Not confined to any particu
Anne Gooch
Feb 26, 2014 Anne Gooch rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really like this devotional compared to my other ones that I have or have read. I like it because it starts with Genesis and goes through the Bible all the way to Revelation. You read one page a day so anyone can read it. It only takes a few mins. to read each day and its great for someone that is new to the Bible or that has been reading for years! I have added this devotional to my daily Bible study and I plan on using it for many years to come.

This would make a great gift for anyone from so
Mellie B
This is such a wonderful daily devotional that our family read aloud this year. I like that it took us through the Bible - from Genesis to Revelation - using scripture verses and a passage that expanded on/discussed the text. I especially like that each day was focused on the Word - the author didn't include personal snippets about herself, but wrote about the relationship between God his people, past, present and future. Finally, I was very impressed about how she often focused on how God's ...more
Michelle
Feb 09, 2013 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Designed for Devotion, Dianne Neal Matthews
I loved this book. This is a not only wonderful devotional but a great addition to a Bible study. Dianne Neal Matthews takes us on a journey from Genesis to Revelations. She shows a little history of the scripture. The best part is the way we are showed ways to apply it to your life. It helps to bring you to a place of greater understanding. If you are searching for a closer walk with the Lord this is a great tool.
Cheri Swalwell
May 01, 2015 Cheri Swalwell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I started this devotion on January 1st, and I haven't missed a day yet. It's so informative, filling in the blanks and showing me areas of the Bible and stories that I never really realized. It makes me want to read more in-depth many of the stories I read about and learned as a child. I would recommend it to seasoned Christ followers as well as those who have just recently found a relationship with God. It's a great tool for learning more about the Bible and the God we serve.
CM
Apr 14, 2016 CM rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very clear gospel presentation throughout....thoughtful journal with great Biblical insights -- I'm probably going to use it again this upcoming year!
2nd reading - 2015 - not as impressed this time. I was able to be a bit more discerning and found a few things I don't totally agree with, but the author has some interesting insights still.
Karen Ingalls
Jan 10, 2014 Karen Ingalls rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful devotional that is thought provoking, comforting, and easy to use. It challenged me to think about people and events in the Bible in ways I had not before. I was able to take my daily life events and prepare for them through Bible verses and prayer.

I believe it is a book that can be used year after year.
Judy
Dec 31, 2013 Judy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I started this devotion on January 1, 2013 and finished this morning December 31, 2013. What a journey it has been. I loved this devotional book and I loved how the author was spot on with God's word. It has been a joy to walk through each day of this book. I highly recommend anyone looking for a new devotional book to pick up this one and start your own journey.
NancyInWI
Really enjoyed this daily devotional which took me through the Bible in a year. Each day would start with a synopsis of the chapters, some background about them and finally an application for everyday living. This was a freebie for my Kindle and I'm so glad I took advantage of the great price and great book.
Kathy
Dec 31, 2015 Kathy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great yearly devotional from Dianne Neal Matthews. This daily devotional walks you through the entire bible in short daily summaries designed to enrich your understanding of God's Word. I thoroughly enjoyed it and highly recommend this devotional!
Stacy
Really enjoyed this devotional I did for 2014, might need to repeat it one year. Very enjoyable and informative for a short daily devotional to supplement my 365 Bible reading plan. On to a new one for 2015!
Arlene
Jan 01, 2014 Arlene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christianity
This quickly became my favorite devotion. It combines bible stories and application. Great complement to the one-year bible I'm also reading. I think I will be using this for years to come!
Cindy
I love that this provides a deeper understanding of God's word. It is clear and easy to understand. I found it both encouraging and challenging. I highly recommend this devotional.
Debra
Dec 31, 2013 Debra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
This is an excellent devotional. It greatly enriched my reading of the Bible and encouraged my walk with the Lord.
Glenda
Jan 19, 2016 Glenda rated it really liked it
A great devotion. A great read!
Mary
Sep 15, 2015 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
It provided a good synopsis of the Bible. Encouraging a reading daily of the Bible.
Kathy Harris
Apr 03, 2013 Kathy Harris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reading each day's dedicated devotion.
Chre
Chre rated it really liked it
Jun 26, 2016
Naomi
Naomi rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2013
ashton rasbury
ashton rasbury rated it really liked it
Dec 04, 2015
Aboere
Aboere rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2015
sirinsy guadarrama
sirinsy guadarrama rated it liked it
May 28, 2016
Fre
Fre rated it it was amazing
Jul 14, 2014
Jeff Schmitt
Jeff Schmitt rated it it was amazing
Dec 31, 2015
Judy Smith
Judy Smith rated it it was amazing
Oct 17, 2015
Sarah Sims
Sarah Sims rated it it was amazing
Aug 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Near To The heart Of God
  • Everyday Prayers: 365 Days to a Gospel-Centered Faith
  • The 7-Day Doubt Diet
  • The One Year Devotions for Couples
  • The Daily Devotional Series: The Gospel of John
  • Two Scoops of Grace with Chuckles on Top
  • Women of Courage : 31 Daily Devotional Bible Readings - The Remarkable Untold Stories, Challenges & Triumphs Of Thirty-One Ordinary, Yet Extraordinary, Bible Women
  • Closer: Devotions to Draw Couples Together
  • Missionary Patriarch: The True Story of John G. Paton: Evangelist for Jesus Christ Among the South Sea Cannibals
  • Revealing Jesus: A 365-Day Devotional
  • Open Your Hymnal - Devotions That Harmonize Scripture With Song
  • Trusting God with Your Dream: A 31-Day Devotional for Young Women and Anyone with a Dream or an Unanswered Prayer
  • Hope For The Weary Mom
  • The Gratitude Journal: A 21 Day Challenge to More Gratitude, Deeper Relationships, and Greater Joy
  • Confessions of a Prayer Slacker
  • Believing God Day by Day: Growing Your Faith All Year Long
  • NIV Once-A-Day 31 Days of Wisdom
  • Be Committed (Ruth & Esther): Doing God's Will Whatever the Cost (The BE Series Commentary)

“We may be tempted to give in to discouragement and bitterness when we face hardships or adversity. But even when our situation looks hopeless, God is working out his plan. It may take a long time to unfold or it may seem to happen suddenly. God loves to reward his children for their faithfulness, and he often works things out in ways we never could have imagined or dreamed. If we hold on to our trust in his goodness and our commitment to obey him during the dark days, we never know when we’ll be surprised by one of God’s happy endings.” 1 likes
“If left unchecked, a persistent feeling of dissatisfaction can lead us into bitterness, resentment, and jealousy, culminating in open rebellion against God and others. Rather than looking around at what others have, we would be better off learning to be content with what God has given us and where he has placed us. If we don’t, we may be swallowed up by our own dissatisfaction. I’ve learned to be content in whatever situation I’m in. Philippians 4:11” 1 likes