Start by marking “History of Art: Western Tradition” as Want to Read:
History of Art: Western Tradition

History of Art: Western Tradition

This is a key book for the study and enjoyment of Western art. This seventh edition has been revised and expanded and six new authors have been selected. Every image from the previous edition has been enhanced/refreshed using modern imaging technology.
Hardcover, Seventh Edition, 1111 pages
Published February 1st 2006 by Prentice Hall (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about History of Art, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about History of Art

Jan 21, 2016 Top rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art, english
I ordered this classic book as used and received it in more than good condition which was advertised.

"Janson's History of Art" is one of the most famous art book which includes detailed overview of Western art, its technique and styles, not only listing all of historically significant pieces of art but write a story about their interconnections, a styles history and stylistic changes.

Although its must read for all students of art, it's probably the best book that can be recommended for art lover
May 22, 2011 Inge rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The most amazing art book everrrr.
Sep 05, 2008 Hilary rated it really liked it
A good intro to Art History, filled with gorgeous and representative art. This book provides an understandable blend of Art and History and how they influence each other... without boggling the reader's mind by providing too much information. I would definitley recommend it for a student of Art, History, or both, and also for the curious, non-student reader.
Aug 01, 2009 Ashwin rated it really liked it
Can't say I enjoyed lugging the bloody thing around, however this is great for the art history newbie. It does a good job of setting the social context of the art, and mentioning the attached philosophies. The authors also manage to go into depth enough about the art, without getting too technical and wordy.
Jul 18, 2008 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Also reading this for my Art Class. It's one of the heaviest books I've ever lugged around but I really like it. Great pictures and explanations. I'm not reading the entire thing but studying a few periods of Art History. Might want to purchase it someday as a good reference book.
Tori Mueller
Mar 26, 2011 Tori Mueller rated it it was amazing
Read this book for my Intro to Art History Class in College. Huge book, and a great overview of everything. I have kept it around since then, since it is also a great reference when you want to look something up.
Dec 12, 2011 Janin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good introduction to the history of art previous to the 20th century-- although it does tend towards the western male-centric view point.
Sep 09, 2012 Witch'sCat rated it it was amazing
I cannot express how much this book has helped me throughout my high school and college education :D
Aug 10, 2011 Leah added it
Fascinating and in depth without being boring. I'm glad my artist friend recommended it.
Martin Valdes
Aug 22, 2011 Martin Valdes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have consulted it. I plan to read it from first to last page.
Loved the class, but hated reading the book.
Aaron Mcilhenny
wow such a great way to learn about art!!!!
Apr 28, 2010 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
A classic book for anyone interested in art.
زهراء عبد
زهراء عبد marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2016
Ali rated it it was amazing
Oct 15, 2016
Sua marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2016
Faris added it
Oct 10, 2016
Aleksa marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2016
Jo England
Jo England marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2016
Marnix rated it really liked it
Oct 03, 2016
Wilfredo P.
Wilfredo P. rated it it was amazing
Sep 30, 2016
Diana rated it really liked it
Sep 25, 2016
Jiaxi Chen
Jiaxi Chen rated it it was amazing
Sep 23, 2016
Heidihark rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2016
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2016
P.A. rated it it was amazing
Sep 10, 2016
cheryl rated it really liked it
cheryl rated it really liked it
Aug 31, 2016
Aleksandra rated it it was amazing
  • History of Italian Renaissance Art: Painting, Sculpture, Architecture
  • Japanese Art
  • Art Through the Ages 2
  • International Political Economy
  • A Night at the Opera: An Irreverent Guide to The Plots, The Singers, The Composers, The Recordings
  • The Gothic Image: Religious Art in France of the Thirteenth Century
  • The History of Terrorism: From Antiquity to al Qaeda
  • Property
  • Ancient Greece: A Political, Social and Cultural History
  • The Social History of Art: Volume 1: From Prehistoric Times to the Middle Ages
  • Van Gogh's Letters: The Mind of the Artist in Paintings, Drawings, and Words, 1875-1890
  • Art of the Twentieth Century
  • Rome: The Biography of a City
  • Georgia O'Keeffe
  • Healing Anger: The Power of Patience from a Buddhist Perspective
  • The Infinity of Lists
  • The Artist's Reality: Philosophies of Art
  • Een visje bij de thee

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Horst Waldemar Janson, who published as H. W. Janson, was a Russian-American scholar of art history best known for his History of Art, which was first published in 1962 and has sold more than two million copies in fifteen languages.
More about H.W. Janson...