Start by marking “Misthaven of Maine” as Want to Read:
Misthaven of Maine

Misthaven of Maine (Misthaven of Maine #1)

With genuine characters and settings steeped in history with stunning visuals, American Author of the Misthaven of Maine Series, Loretta Boyer McClellan paints an engaging, coming-of-age journey, rich in the beauty of friendship and abiding love. Misthaven of Maine,Volume Oneoffers readers an empowering, contemporary story, amidst the sweeping vistas and echoed grace of Ne ...more
Published May 29th 2012 by McClellan Creative

To ask other readers questions about Misthaven of Maine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Misthaven of Maine

Needlefingers
Aug 15, 2012 Needlefingers rated it did not like it
I wanted to love this book. I love Maine. I love hearing about Maine.

However, there was nothing to engage me. A rich girl has a rich father with rich friends. I can't relate. There has to be something in the characters with which the reader can identify. There were lots of descriptions, but I couldn't help remember the sage advice of 'show, don't tell'. It's not compelling to read a summary of a dialogue instead of the dialogue itself. When there was dialogue, it seemed stilted.

I'll confess, I d
Corey
Feb 08, 2015 Corey rated it it was ok
I really wanted to love this novel and not just because it was free on Amazon. It features one of my favorites states, Maine. The heroine lives in a lighthouse. There's ocean! However it just fell horribly flat for me. I am still wishing that I had enjoyed it more as the bones of the story were promising.

The major problem for me is that the story is just TOO perfect. Perfect, pretty girl has a perfect pretty life. The saddest thing is that her Mom died but it was years ago and not touched on upo
Becky
Nov 25, 2012 Becky rated it did not like it
One of the very few books I abandoned, and after about two chapters, too!
The book really needs some editing, for starters. The comma errors really got to me, but the worst part in my eyes was the super-formal, stilted, and old-fashioned language, complete with tell-not-show details. The book was supposed to have a sixteen-year-old protagonist (set in modern days), but it sounded like a late-middle-age nostalgic narrator who was maybe born in the Regency era. Scenes started with a great deal of (
Jan Lewis
Sep 10, 2015 Jan Lewis rated it it was ok
About half-way through this book, I went back to Amazon and read the description as I couldn't figure out why I had downloaded this one. It is clearly a book for a younger person. It's a totally unoffensive book, a coming of age story about a young teenage girl. The book is also about privilege and upper class and was pretty unrealistic except for the chosen few in society. I kept expecting something to happen in this book...an expected death, murder, accident...SOMETHING to move it along. It ...more
Jill
Sep 05, 2012 Jill rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed the story line -- anything about the ocean with vivid descriptions is for me. The writing was very descriptive, the descriptions very in depth -- but the verbiage was a bit "over the top." This main character had an almost perfect life, which in this day and age is pretty much a fairy tale, and the experiences she had at her age made it a tad unbelievable. All in all, however, it was well written, captivated my attention, and I hope this writer has another book in her.
Sara
Jul 07, 2012 Sara rated it really liked it
Debut author, artist and good friend of mine wrote an excellent novel. The heroine Eliza is a privileged, but unspoiled, student who spends the school year in Boston and her summers on an idyllic island in Maine with her father. The novel takes her through her high school, college and early career years as an artist. It is a story of friendship, love and loyalty and is beautifully written.
Julie Sikorski
Oct 25, 2012 Julie Sikorski rated it liked it
This was an easy read. I kept waiting for something "exciting" to happen. Everything about the main character was just too perfect. She was privileged and everything always worked out for her. Not real life.
Elise Johnson
Sep 20, 2012 Elise Johnson rated it it was ok
I feel badly writing a negative review, but the book was just very predictable and the writing was like the author was trying too hard. No one talks the way she wrote, especially not a 16 year old. I did love reading about Island life and the East Coast. Made me want to move back!
Carol
Aug 16, 2012 Carol rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this coming of age novel. It wasn't a gripping page turner but more like a pleasant stroll along a beach. I will read the sequel when it comes out.
Deliasue
May 29, 2015 Deliasue rated it it was amazing
I love books about seaports, and Maine, so this book fit the bill.
The second sequel is Journey to Beyond. I want to read it next.
Holly
Mar 23, 2013 Holly rated it did not like it
This was a really hard book to finish. The writing was very dry and hard to get into. I kept waiting for something to happen, and it never did.
Gillian
Gillian rated it it was ok
Jan 15, 2015
Michelle
Michelle rated it it was ok
Aug 13, 2012
June Creedon
June Creedon rated it liked it
Apr 20, 2014
Heidi
Heidi rated it it was ok
Aug 26, 2012
Barbi
Barbi rated it did not like it
Aug 29, 2012
Ronie
Ronie rated it it was amazing
Feb 06, 2016
Juliet
Juliet rated it liked it
Feb 23, 2013
Jacqui McCleary
Jacqui McCleary rated it really liked it
Jun 08, 2016
Kylee
Kylee rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2012
Debra Allen
Debra Allen rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2016
Kerry
Kerry rated it liked it
Oct 19, 2012
Margaret Boehm
Margaret Boehm rated it really liked it
Apr 02, 2015
Janet Crowley
Janet Crowley rated it it was amazing
Feb 20, 2015
Nancy Skinner
Nancy Skinner rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2015
Amy  Castellani
Amy Castellani rated it liked it
Dec 14, 2013
Megan
Megan rated it liked it
May 31, 2013
Debra
Debra rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2013
Kathy Patterson
Kathy Patterson rated it liked it
Nov 18, 2016
Missy
Missy rated it really liked it
Aug 19, 2012
Clean Romances: Do You Love Maine? Visit the Misthaven of Maine Book Series! 1 10 Dec 31, 2012 10:57AM
American Author, Artist, and Poet, Loretta Boyer McClellan sees the art of writing as an exciting medium and source of abundant joy in the creative process. Her multilayered career as a writer of fiction, nonfiction, and poetry; conscious PR, brand, graphic design, and communications; and as an Arts instructor, journalist, and artist, "sized the canvas" so to speak, for a fruitful life of ...more
More about Loretta Boyer McClellan...

Misthaven of Maine (2 books)
  • Journey to Beyond (Misthaven of Maine #2)