Start by marking “No Apparent Danger: The Story of Volcanic Disaster at Galeras and Nevado del Ruiz” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
No Apparent Danger: Th...

Victoria Bruce

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  74 ratings  ·  13 reviews

On January 14, 1993, a team of scientists descended into the crater of Galeras, a restless Andean volcano in southern Colombia, for a day of field research. As the group slowly moved across the rocky moonscape of the caldera near the heart of the volcano, Galeras erupted, its crater exploding in a barrage of burning rocks and glowing shrapnel. Nine men died instantly, thei

Audio Cassette
Published by Recorded Books

To ask other readers questions about No Apparent Danger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Apparent Danger

Rebecca Huston
This was quite a read. Despite the length -- just over 200 pages -- this chronicle of the disastrous eruptions of two volcanoes in Colombia in the 1980's and 1990's is very well written and understandable for the lay person. Yes, there is some science in this one, but it is presented smoothly enough that it doesn't bog down the story. What is heartrending are the attitudes among scientists and politicians and sadly, the ordinary people who would pay the price for their arrogance. Geology nerds w ...more
Amy
This book was completely fascinating! It's only about 200 pages and I loved every minute of it. At parts of it, I think the author forgot that the average reader wasn't a member of the geologist/volcanologist/chemist/seismologist community. It got a wee bit technical when it talked about the throat, cone, crater etc. areas of a volcano. I needed a drawing of the different volcano's just to get a visual (none is provided of course, but it would have been TOTALLY helpful). But overall the text is ...more
Julie
Victoria Bruce pieces together eye-witness accounts of two tragic volcano disasters in Colombia. First are the accounts of the eruption of Nevado del Ruiz in 1985 in which mudflows killed over 23,000 people in the surrounding area. The second part of this book details the 1993 eruption of Volcán Galeras which took the lives of nine people (including six scientists) who were in the crater at the time.

Whether or not you’re a geologist (I'm a geologist though, so maybe I'm biased), I think you’ll f
Felicity
This is three different stories, interwoven because that's how the world is; the mismanaged volcanic crisis at Colombia's Nevado del Ruiz in 1985, the totally avoidable deaths (largely of scientists) at the Colombian volcano Galeras in 1993, and finally the fallout in the scientific community. While the stories are fascinating and sad in their own right, prepare to be very, very angry; first at the bickering, political maneuvering and poverty that cost lives; and secondly, at the face-saving, cr ...more
Katie
Really interesting read. Made me want to learn more about volcanoes.
Gary Braham
This book is a narrative of the Nevado Del Ruiz eruption, and the eruption at Galeras, both in Columbia.

The study of both these eruptions is a fascinating look at what volcanology is really like, and the scienctific, as well as political and personal decisions and traits that go into studying a volcano and trying to protect the public (and volcanologists) from harm when a volcano becomes active.
Jane
I listened to an abridged audio version of this read by the author. It kept my attention, which is the critical factor for me with an audio book. I could tell that parts were missing, as I occasionally thought "huh?" but I still enjoyed it. I can't comment on the science or the accuracy, but on the whole it was a good listen.
Rebecca Thatcher Murcia
I've always heard about the disaster at Armero, when the Nevado del Ruiz volcano buried a town of 20,000 people. I was surprised to find such an excellent book about the disaster and the ensuing explosion at Galeras in Pastro. Bruce has written a great book about volcanoes, but it's also a great book about Colombia.
Amandayvonne
Again I find myself amazed at the prevalence of bad science and the willingness of people to believe it. National Geographic should have fact checked the story of Galeras before making their documentary Volcano! in 1997.
Valerie
Mar 28, 2009 Valerie rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Valerie by: Steve
This book, which I picked up for my husband, was a chilling and well done account of volcano research and tragedy.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
A gripping read. Kept me right on the edge of my seat. Tells a different story from that offered by the documentary!
Christyne
A book about geology and people getting in their own way while mother nature storms around them.
Paul
great story no too technical a real thrill ride!
Carrie
Carrie marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Diego Hernandez
Diego Hernandez marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
Tom Schneitter
Tom Schneitter marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2014
Mike
Mike added it
Sep 07, 2014
Shasta
Shasta marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Jf
Jf added it
Aug 09, 2014
Hope Szabo
Hope Szabo marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
J.P.
J.P. marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Hostage Nation: Colombia's Guerrilla Army and the Failed War on Drugs Windmills in Time Promises from the Past Anche per oggi nessun pericolo. L'eruzione del Galeras: una tragedia annunciata?