Start by marking “Time Traders (Time Traders / Ross Murdock, #1-2)” as Want to Read:
Time Traders (Time Traders / Ross Murdock, #1-2)

Time Traders (Time Traders / Ross Murdock #1-2)

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  369 ratings  ·  32 reviews
This omnibus edition includes: "The Time Traders" and "Galactic Derelict."

DRAFTED INTO THE ARMY OF TIME

Intelligence agents have uncovered something which seems beyond belief, but the evidence is incontrovertible: the USAs greatest adversary on the world stage is sending its agents back through time! And someone or something unknown to our history is presenting them with te

Published November 1st 2000 by Baen Books (first published January 1st 1958)

To ask other readers questions about Time Traders, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Time Traders

Melissa (ladybug)
Jul 23, 2012 Melissa (ladybug) rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: SciFi lovers
Shelves: fiction
I don't know how many times I have read this book, but it just gets better with time. It has been some years since last reading it, and I had forgotten the story line. I loved being able to read a book that was new but old at the same time. :D I love almost all the books that Andre Norton has written.
Carl
To be honest, I didn't read the paperback, but the free digital book offered by Baen. Thank god for them!

I am tired of finding science fiction tailored for today's YA readers with disposable cash and love to be spoon-fed. Classic tales like this one from Andre Norton remind me why I fell in love with science fiction in the first place: stories take place on strange worlds and new technology is met with wonder, not suspicion.

Characters aren't as complex (read: deep) as many in today's best-seller...more
[Redacted]
Dated and extremely YA, the first half was pretty boring and the second half picked up well, seemed like a couple of long short stories sewn together to make a novel. Norton has skill to be sure, I would like to read something more adult from her.
Kat
Jim
From Booklist

For this volume, Norton has updated The Time Traders (1958) and Galactic Derelict (1959) to take into account 40 years of political, social, and technological developments--such as computer games, a concluded cold war, and many more female characters in sf--without essentially changing them. In Time Traders, Ross Murdock has the choice of rehabilitation or volunteering for a secret research project, which turns out to be searching the past for the source of illicit technological i

Steven
2 books in one. The first book, Time Traders, is about Time travelers (Duh!), but the second is about these same Time Travelers who become now Space Travelers in the second book Galactic Derelict. Sure, you could pick this book apart, but WHY? It is such a fun romp and easy read. Good guys are good guys and bad guys are bad guys. The first book is full of wildly different neolithic tribes from pre-history, the second book is full of wildly unique aliens, some friendly, others who view our intrep...more
Charles Daniel
Classic Science Fiction

This is another of Norton's Classic tales. This novel is, in a sense, a time machine as well as being a story about time travelling. Written during the Cold War period, this novel gives the reader a look into the fears of the American populace in the first decade after the advent of nuclear fission and the proliferation of the early Nuclear States (most notably the Republican United States of America and the Communist United Soviet States of Russia). The Science Fiction ge...more
Kaethe
So, just to be confusing, I've completed the first novel in this two-in-one edition, which is also called Time Traders.

And it's good reading. Ross Murdock, ne'er do well, is offered the choice of rehabilitation or volunteering by the judge in charge of sentencing. So he signs up for something with the military, that turns out to be time travel. Mostly, though, it's the story of Ross fighting it out with pre-historical people and survival in the wilderness.

For those who care, there isn't any sex...more
Stephen Theaker
There are two novels in this volume. In the first, The Time Traders, time travellers go back to ancient Britain and find aliens there - or are they future humans? Exciting at times, but a little uninspired.

In the second, Galactic Derelict, the time travellers recover a spaceship from ten thousand years in the past, only for its pre-programmed flight to be launched once they return to the present day. It's a fascinating idea - the worlds the ship takes them to are now long-abandoned, the building...more
Derek (Guilty of thoughtcrime)
Having re-read the book(s) some 30 years after my first reading, they hold up really well (this version of 1888744 is actually an omnibus edition of the first two volumes of the series, 1888744 and Galactic Derelict).

It holds up fairly well - there are few anachronisms introduced by the advance of technology since Norton wrote the stories, but there are a few strange quirks of technology. Why is a refueling station still operative (barely) thousands of years after its abandonment, but the compon...more
Kerry
This omnibus contains "The Time Traders" and "Galactic Derelict," both written in the late 1950s. I read them in the mid-Sixties, when they were not too old. Fifty-some years after their original publication, they still hold up fairly well as adventure stories. The only anachronistic item at all it the use of the Russians as the bad guys. However, it is the Russians of the new Russian Empire that was formed after the collapse of the Soviet Union. Not a bad prediction, but it still feels somewhat...more
Jay Michaels
Time Traders (1959), Galactic Derelict (1960) by Andre Norton. I'd read other novels in this series, notably The Defiant Agents and Key Out of Time, but accidentally skipped the first one. Time Traders lays some very important groundwork for the main character Ross Murdock, who's too aggressive for his relatively tame future society.

Written 30 years before the Berlin Wall finally fell, Russians are the Cold War foe here, but bigger, tougher enemies are gradually revealed. The dialogue's a bit s...more
Brian Turner
Old school sci-fi. The Russians are coming out with inventions that appear far ahead of their time.
A group of time travellers have to try and find where they are getting it from and try to get the lead on the Russians.

There are two stories in this book, both of which throw someone from outside into the time travel team. There's always lots of action as the different groups try and get the upper hand.
Lisa
Loved the originals. Also enjoyed the ones she cowrote in this universe until she went sentient planet on me.
Timothy Ferguson
This is older sci-fi, which suffers a little in that its techniques have gone from revolutionary to ubiquitous. Andre Norton uses real-world archaeology to inform her worldbuilding, which was considered magnificent, but that archaeology is out of date, and the story’s pace is slow now that her revolutionary tricks don’t spark. Difficult to recommend. Possibly for fans of early sci-fi. I listened to a Librivox version, but I’m not sure which. (There are two.)

This revciew originally appeared on bo...more
Butch
I've been reading Andre Norton SF novels since I was a young teenager and never get tired of reading them over and over. Ms. Norton has the ability to spin a well woven story pack with imagination and adventure.

Be aware that this version of the book contains the 1st two novels of the Ross Murdock series (Time Traders and Galactic Derelict). Perhaps I should have understood that but it was not intuitive to me.

Regardless, for those few of us who have not read Andre Norton will enjoy reading this b...more
ReaderNation
A two-for-one freebie via Amazon. Given that this was written in the ?late 50's? I believe, kudos to the writer (female who legally changed her name to Andre Alice Norton to gain broad (no pun) appeal in this era) as the material is still relevant today. Time travel, competition (Russia/U.S.) the hunt for technology, and adventure - it is all there. The writing style is still solid, although some of the dialogue is dated. Overall, a quick, easy read - a good entry for the non-scify reader.
Bronwyn Rykiert
This book was not for me, I found it not much fun to read so I gave up 3/4 of the way into it. The concept seemed interesting when I read the back cover - to travel back in time to find a civilisation who left their workings in paper and not stone like others civilisations over the years.
Melinda
What does it mean if I know I read this book and probably liked it but not fabulously well, but really can't remember what it's about except that it's page-turning fantasy disguised as science? Norton writes well; it's great escapism. But not fabulous enough to be remembered in detail.
Val Schmitt
While I spent a bit of time second guessing the actions/abilities of the characters and the science of the story, this caught me up and I wanted to keep reading past "my bedtime"!
Nicholas
Didn't like these. Came off like boring, poorly constructed Young Adult fiction from the 50s, except I think kids then would have been bored with it.
DaughterDaDa
Very engaging thus far. Good story, although some of the descriptions of the landscape are repetitive, otherwise it would get one more star.
Carolyn
Removed criminals turned secret agents travel back in time to Iron Age Britain to thwart evil Russians who are stealing advanced alien technology!
Chris Gardner
Not a bad book. The writing was a bit light, but ok all in all. Younger readers would enjoy.[return][return]I can recommend this book.
V.c.
This is an older novel, but I recently reread it on Kindle. It's as good as I ever remember it being. Grab your Kindle and download it.
Shana
This book is about some time travellers working on secret projects for the government. If you like time travel, try this book.
Andreea Daia
Book #1 "The Time Traders" (YA thriller) — 4 stars
Book #2 "Galactic Derelict" (YA space opera) — 3 stars
Ralph McEwen
Read as an e-book. A free download from \\www.baen.com/library Baen Free Library.
Roberta
Liked the first story, but the alien travel was weird and hard to follow.
MB
Oct 12, 2010 MB marked it as unfinished
Shelves: science-fiction
Read first book in omnibus edition. Didn't read 2nd book.
  • The Creatures of Man
  • A Plague of Demons & Other Stories
  • Seas of Venus (Seas of Venus, #1-2)
  • The Course of Empire (Jao, #1)
  • The Warslayer: The Incredibly True Adventures of Vixen the Slayer, the Beginning
  • A Logic Named Joe
  • West Of Honor
  • The House That Jack Built (Time Scout, #4)
  • The Berserker Throne (Berserker, #7)
  • Orion In The Dying Time (Orion, # 3)
  • Sympathy for the Devil (Devil's Point, #1)
  • Crusade (Starfire, #2)
  • Wrath of the Royals (The Darkslayer, #1)
  • Telzey Amberdon
Alice Mary Norton always had an affinity to the humanities. She started writing in her teens, inspired by a charismatic high school teacher. First contacts with the publishing world led her, as many other contemporary female writers targeting a male-dominated market, to choose a literary pseudonym. In 1934 she legally changed her name to Andre Alice. The androgynous Andre doesn't really say "male"...more
More about Andre Norton...
The Elvenbane (Halfblood Chronicles, #1) Elvenblood (Halfblood Chronicles, #2) Elvenborn (Halfblood Chronicles, #3) Witch World (Witch World Series 1: Estcarp Cycle, #1) The Time Traders (Time Traders/ Ross Murdock, #1)

“Smiths were sacred in the old days. We know that they made a secret of their trade which overrode the bounds of district, tribe, and race. A smith was welcome in any village, his person safe on the road. In fact, the roads themselves were under the protection of the gods; there was peace on them for all wayfarers. The land was wide then, and it was empty. The tribes were few and small, and there was plenty of room for the hunter, the farmer, the trader. Life was not such a scramble of man against man, but rather of man against nature—” 0 likes
“He discovered that lack of sight confuses the ear.” 0 likes