Start by marking “Little Herr Friedemann” as Want to Read:
Little Herr Friedemann

Little Herr Friedemann

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  166 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Die Novelle erzählt in fünfzehn knappen Kapiteln die Lebensgeschichte von Johannes Friedemann, der als Kleinkind vom Wickeltisch fiel und seitdem an einer körperlichen Missbildung leidet. „Er war nicht schön […] mit seiner spitzen und hohen Brust, seinem weit ausladenden Rücken und seinen viel zu langen, mageren Armen“ und „bot einen höchst seltsamen Anblick. Seine Hände u ...more
33 pages
Published (first published 1897)

To ask other readers questions about Little Herr Friedemann, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Herr Friedemann

Saraku
«با دقتی بسیار و باورنکردنی به خودش آموزش داد که از هرچه زندگی پیش آورد لذت ببرد. قدم زدن در بهار در گردشگاههای اطراف شهر؛ عطر گلها؛ آوای پرندگان - نباید قدر چیزهایی از این قبیل را دانست؟»
........
چه طعم تلخ گسی داشت این داستان!
Viktorija
Magically beautiful and profoundly sad. I'm stunned, even though I don't know what I else I could have expected from Mann. He always has that knack of playing on my emotions so skillfully, that he can bring up completely contrasting images and moods in the space of a few pages.
I'd have loved for this to be a longer story, I feel the desire to learn a lot more about the characters, and yet Mann's prose is so potent, that enough is said in the novella as it is.
The first Mann I dared read completel
Realini
Little Mr. Friedmann by Thomas Mann
- We all tend to have a “base level of happiness”
- When someone loses a limb in an accident, after a period of low life satisfaction, one tends to go back to the Base level of Happiness
- The same thing happens when we win at lottery move to California- after some months of increased levels of happiness, we return to that same base level.

Thomas Mann is recognized as one of the greatest writers. He is listed with two books on the Top 100 Best Novels, available at
Yngvild
Little Herr Friedemann is a sad little story in which Thomas Mann never lets us forget that Johannes Friedemann is physically, and therefore socially, less than other men. His spinal deformity means that he can never display his manliness in sports or by bragging of his conquests with girls. The text makes the point by always referring to him as little Herr Friedemann (der kleine Herr Friedemann), never just Herr Friedemann.

Friedemann’s sisters are plain, and therefore also unmarried. Like thei
Gordon
A set of Mann's early short stories. Many are little more than sketches and show very few signs of the exploration of humanity and ideas that would characterize his later works. Several of the stories are portraits of cruelty. Of these, only A Gleam really succeeds: the others, especially Little Lizzie are crude and silly. The Blood Of The Walsungs, perhaps the best known - or most notorious - is ludicrously literal in making parallels between the story's characters and those of Wagner's Di Walk ...more
Eric
This anthology has a story called Disillusionment. It is a perfect summary of the position of the Romantic movement in literature. The narrator falls into conversation with someone and explains that he had high expectations of life but everything in actuality was a disappoinment! His imagination conjures up events which are more dramatic, more vivid than the actual events. His parents' house is burned down and his comment is, "So this is a fire. Is this all there is to it?"
His yearning for great
Alias Reader
Just read the short story Little Herr Friedemann. I read it in book titled, The Best Short Stories of the Modern Age. - Douglas Angus.

I could not find a GR link to just that story.
Simon Bédard
Some stories are incredibles, others just ok. The writing is always on point, pitch perfect. You can tell is preparing for the big stuff!
Konsumschnecke
Was soll ich zu dem Buch sagen, welches ich heute morgen im Bus lesend beendet habe, aber wo ich gar nicht mehr weiß, worum es eigentlich ging. Ich kann mich an vereinzelt äußerst poetische Sätze erinnern und dann war es das dann auch. Vielleicht sollte man Thomas Mann einfach nicht im Wachkoma lesen. Das Buch bekommt wegen der schönen Schreibe zwei Punkte. Es hätte aber bestimmt mehr bekommen, wenn ich jetzt noch mich erinnern würde, was ich da genau gelesen habe. ;-)
Pete
I enjoyed the Gleam, and the Railway Accident best, but all were rewarding with the style changing in later stories.
Ivan Damjanović
-Little Herr Friedemann
-The Road to the Churchyard
-Tristan

Unique style and intriguing topics.
JasonD
Rereading again. Love it
Negar
Negar marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
Lucia
Lucia marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2015
Ruxandra Voinea
Ruxandra Voinea marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2015
Gary Houck
Gary Houck marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
Zini
Zini added it
Jun 25, 2015
Jade Smet
Jade Smet marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2015
Lisajean
Lisajean marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2015
James Selby
James Selby marked it as to-read
May 30, 2015
  • Meine Preise
  • Maria Magdalena
  • Maikäfer, flieg!
  • Vor Sonnenaufgang
  • The Quest for Christa T.
  • The Master of the Day of Judgement
19405

Thomas Mann was a German novelist, short story writer, social critic, philanthropist, essayist, and 1929 Nobel Prize laureate, known for his series of highly symbolic and ironic epic novels and novellas, noted for their insight into the psychology of the artist and the intel
More about Thomas Mann...
The Magic Mountain Death in Venice Buddenbrooks: The Decline of a Family Death in Venice and Other Tales Doctor Faustus