Start by marking “How to learn a foreign language” as Want to Read:
How to learn a foreign language

How to learn a foreign language

3.32 of 5 stars 3.32  ·  rating details  ·  53 ratings  ·  8 reviews
This three-hour audio cassette book is filled with practical tips and ingenious keys to help any student of a foreign language learn how to prepare for study, increase understanding and improve advancement. Indispensable!
Published January 1st 1993 by Barnes & Noble (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about How to learn a foreign language, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to learn a foreign language

Tina Jeraj
I have known about all the methods used in this book in way better forms than described. Most of it is common knowledge. Book is full of irrelevant remarks about the reader (such as assuming nobody will learn Finnish or other small European languages or that nobody but Americans will read the book). Somewhere at the beginning of the book the author states that English is spoken in America. I won't say what think of that. The good points are that it was easy to read and had some decent examples. ...more
Heather
Short, to-the-point, easy to read, and encouraging, even if I already knew most of the points he was making. Still, I think it was helpful-- it was a helpful refresher on what to look for, taught me a few things about the language that I'll be learning next semester (French) that I didn't know, and gave some helpful study tips and hints on how to approach learning a language. He definitely emphasizes the importance of hearing the language and really freeing yourself of embarrassment about speaki ...more
Jeary
A short little book that introduces general advices when studying a foreign language. Even though Fuller uses examples from various languages, the piece is not limited to any particular language or language class. But, as an important point for all non-native English speakers: English is the language of reference, so be prepared to be talked to as "...you, that you are already fluent in English..." ;)

It is, indeed, a good summary of patterns that are inherent all language and hints how to master
Amy
At right around 100 pages, this is a concise guide to learning another language. His methods are time-tested and will work, but with a publication date of 1987, we have far better tools at our fingertips now than when this was first out. If the author could time-travel to now, he'd exhort the virtues of the many online learning resources, communities, and Skype-ing with someone in your target language.

But the book wouldn't be 100 pages any longer, and in today's world, this information is avail
Oleg Hasanov
Short and to the point.
Mina Van der Woodsen
I haven't read much books how to learn a foreign language but i don't need to this book is everything i need to learn a foreign language.He is direct,short,and he is absolutely right. Great advices.You can also see that he knows what he is talking about he is an expert, and i respect him much and admire him.Not anyone can know that many languages,give advices how to learn,and encourage us to learn languages.
Vivian
A very short book, so a quick read, but full of enthusiasm and encouragement for foreign language learning. Not every language learning method works for everyone, but his suggestions are sound, and he gives concrete examples of what worked - and didn't work - for his own education.
Linda
Very informational with good lesson idea's I keep it on hand while learning Hindi.
Ömer Faruk
Ömer Faruk is currently reading it
Jun 28, 2015
Zipure
Zipure marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2015
D Lynn
D Lynn marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
Nathik
Nathik marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Trung
Trung added it
Mar 09, 2015
Kahraman KURT
Kahraman KURT marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
David Calderwood
David Calderwood marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Sheik Mohamed
Sheik Mohamed marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Hussein Alhamed
Hussein Alhamed marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2015
Masar
Masar marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
Martin
Martin added it
Dec 14, 2014
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Graham Fuller is an author and a political analyst. He has worked for the United States Central Intelligence Agency, the National Intelligence Council, and Rand Corporation.
More about Graham E. Fuller...
A World Without Islam A Spymaster's Secrets of Learning a Foreign Language (Discovery) The Future of Political Islam The New Turkish Republic: Turkey as a Pivotal State in the Muslim World Turkey and the Arab Spring: Leadership in the Middle East

“Moracete da se pomirite sa gubitkom jednog dela svog samopostovanja i svoje brige o ponosu ukoliko stvarno zelite da napredujete.” 1 likes