Start by marking “A Picnic with Monet” as Want to Read:
A Picnic with Monet

A Picnic with Monet

This imaginative board book features beautiful paintings by a renowned artist paired with playful, rhyming text. In A Picnic with Monet, Claude Monet's light-filled paintings take children on an enchanted picnic in the countryside. This board book is a fun introduction ot art and an imaginative adventure all rolled into one!
Board Book, 22 pages
Published July 1st 2003 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about A Picnic with Monet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Picnic with Monet

Jaclyn
Apr 02, 2015 Jaclyn rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
This is one book in a series that introduces children to the great art masters. It shows a few pieces (around 10) from the artist and pairs it with rhyming phrases. These books were fun to read and, obviously, great to look at. They come in board book form and are on the smaller side so they are great for little hands, but even my older children loved looking through them.

One semi-negative comment I have is that some of the phrases that accompany each painting tell the reader too much which doe
Mama Bibliosoph
Mar 25, 2016 Mama Bibliosoph rated it it was ok
Shelves: board-book
My least favorite book in the "Mini Masters' series is easily "A Picnic with Monet," but I dislike most of the titles for my kids, who have autism and need the art in their books to be easy to make out and be highly interesting.

There are a few different pictures of muted bridges that camouflage into their backgrounds, some blurry white birds with reddish heads (turkeys) in a field, white blobs (water lilies) on a pond that you can't tell is a body of water, etc. Remember this is Impressionism:
Hope L. Justice
This one I really liked. Something about it just really fit well together. The paintings are lovely, the poem is breezy, not too forced. It is a light read that uses the illustrations to pull away from the less substantial language.
RC
Aug 14, 2015 RC rated it really liked it
A Picnic with Monet promotes phonological awareness.

This book is also a great introduction to art, artists and different styles of painting using the works of Monet as the illustrations.
Alma
Jun 27, 2013 Alma rated it really liked it
Monet is one of my favorite artists; I love his soft colors and peaceful moods. (Seeing an original of one of the water lilies paintings in a St. Louis museum was awesome. Close up, everything looks like smears of thick paint. But back away and look at the huge picture from a distance and the soft scene emerges.) It was a delight to find this book after a library toddler storytime with Andrea, my granddaughter. The pictures are beautiful, and the short rhymes are charming. It held a two year old ...more
Melissa
Sep 15, 2016 Melissa rated it really liked it
These books actually help me appreciate artwork by finding the story in them.
Sandy D.
Apr 14, 2016 Sandy D. rated it really liked it
Beautiful introduction to famous art in the form of a board book.
Connie
Aug 09, 2008 Connie rated it it was ok
Can't fault the art, it's a great way to introduce kids to Monet.

And the text... well, I can take it or leave it. It sounds trite to my ears, though, so I prefer to leave it.

The really bad part about these books is that they're cheaply made. I've had them fall apart on me while other books that we've had longer and that we read more often are in great shape.

You can't have a poor-quality board book, it just doesn't work.

I can't in good conscience recommend these books to anybody because of that.
Elizabeth S
Mar 09, 2009 Elizabeth S rated it really liked it
Shelves: f-board
What a fun idea. The author took classical Monet pictures and strung them together with words to make a simple children's story. A great way to introduce beautiful art to the very young.
Christine
Oct 22, 2012 Christine rated it liked it
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Karen
May 12, 2009 Karen rated it liked it
Shelves: preschool
Good exposure to paintings by Monet accompanied by a story to tie them together. Other books in the series include "Dancing with Degas".
Alysia
Apr 16, 2008 Alysia rated it really liked it
Beautiful art for little ones to enjoy!
Blake Atwood
Blake Atwood marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2016
Meghan
Meghan marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2016
Brian Li
Brian Li marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
Alyssa
Alyssa rated it it was ok
Aug 24, 2016
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2016
Fiona
Fiona added it
Aug 17, 2016
Kollao
Kollao marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2016
Yazir Paredes
Yazir Paredes marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2016
Pbt
Pbt rated it it was amazing
Jul 27, 2016
Elizabeth Merchant
Elizabeth Merchant rated it liked it
Jul 21, 2016
Eco Imp
Eco Imp rated it really liked it
Jul 20, 2016
Sabra Ann
Sabra Ann rated it really liked it
Jul 19, 2016
Emily Bowen
Emily Bowen marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2016
Gelene Keever
Gelene Keever rated it liked it
Jul 15, 2016
Zachary
Zachary rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2016