The Belgariad, volume 2: Castle of Wizardry, Enchanters' End Game

The Belgariad, volume 2: Castle of Wizardry, Enchanters' End Game (The Belgariad #4-5)

4.35 of 5 stars 4.35  ·  rating details  ·  5,057 ratings  ·  101 reviews
David Eddings’ acclaimed series, The Belgariad, reaches its stunning conclusion in these final two gripping novels. Continue on this magnificent journey and be entranced by a saga of strange lands and peoples, of prophecy and strife set against the background of a seven-thousand-year war of men, Kings, and Gods.

The quest may be nearing its end, but the danger continues. A...more
Published August 27th 2002 by Del Rey (first published January 1st 1980)

To ask other readers questions about The Belgariad, volume 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Belgariad, volume 2

City of Bones by Cassandra ClareHush, Hush by Becca FitzpatrickCity of Glass by Cassandra ClareCity of Ashes by Cassandra ClareFallen by Lauren Kate
Books with Angels, Gods, or Demons
326th out of 1,524 books — 2,341 voters
Mistborn by Brandon SandersonThe Name of the Wind by Patrick RothfussHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Way of Kings by Brandon SandersonThe Golden Compass by Philip Pullman
Most Interesting Magic System
486th out of 1,427 books — 4,767 voters

More lists with this book...

Julien V
Thank gawd it's over.

Now, I don't regret reading this... but I could've spent my time enjoying better literature, that's for sure.

So this is straight YA fantasy, even if it's not marketed as such. Sad thing is, I would've enjoyed this series so much at 12-14 years old. Much older now, I can still like The Belgariad as a light story: tired, drunk, it's still readable (so add a half-star, if it's a main concern for you).

As a LoTR clone, it does an OK job, being easy to read (look at all the 'Tom...more
Mary
I overall loved these books.They have a nice flow of action,adventure and humor.You really get to know the characters and can easaly pick favorates and conect with them.The first book however is a little boring and can be hard to get in to because it has a lot of background to it. These books have a very good plot that is very diferent from alot of other books.The Belgariad is one of the top fantacy books and has an AMAZING ending infact it is the best ending of any book I have ever read.
Jeremy Preacher
Omnibus edition, reviewing separately.

Castle of Wizardry:

On the one hand, there are parts of this book I really like - Garion's ascension in general is suitably legendary in feel, counterbalanced by his bewilderment at a role he is in fact totally unprepared for. And I do like Ce'Nedra's intelligent analysis and decisionmaking leading to her taking nominal charge. Basically most of what actually happens at Riva makes me happy.

On the other hand, Eddings's adorable but badly flawed attempt at lamp...more
Zack Parks
All in all, it was an okay story. I suppose it's not meant to be terribly serious, so I can't take it too seriously. It's a typical fantasy/adventure romp across an imaginary world, and it's got some memorable characters and interesting imagery. It was very predictable, and some of the scenes were awfully anti-climactic, however. One of the two big things that stood out to me that I enjoyed, were the political games that got played later on in The Belgariad, especially once the big war started g...more
Denise
I had a really hard time getting through these books - and probably only did because a friend of mine lent them to me, insisting that they were his childhood, and I, as a general rule, never return a borrowed book unread, especially during the summer. And maybe, just maybe, if I had been much younger, I might have enjoyed this series, but I think I can safely say it would not be one that really stuck with me as I got older.

I could write an essay probably, about why this work as a whole failed fo...more
Tim Giauque
The Belgariad. I remember my brother and my dad reading Eddings's books when I was younger, although I never bothered to follow suit until recently. I think I probably would have loved this story when I was younger.

Yeah, it's aimed at about a 9th- or 10th-grade reading level. Others have described it as "Tolkein-lite," which seems about right. The fifth book in the series, Enchanters' End Game, feels the most like Lord of the Rings to me, with its parallel stories of the huge battles and the "fe...more
Sebastien
Dec 22, 2011 Sebastien rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fan d'épic et de fantasie légère
Recommended to Sebastien by: Maxime Paquet
Shelves: high-fantasy
Continuant cette histoire merveilleuse qu'est las Belgariad, ce recueille contient les deux dernières partie et je vous dis qu'après avoir lu les trois première il est presque impossible de pouvoir résister à lire ce qui suit.

En plus, plus on avance, plus l'histoire devient intense et plus les personnages se mouille dans cette guerre. On voit Garion devenir de plus en plus puissant et grandir au travers de cette histoire. Au début il se fait protéger par ses amis et par ses protecteurs, mais au...more
Andrew Vrana
Better than Volume 1. These climactic final two books made me feel like reading the series wasn't a waste of time. Rather than using the plot as a gimmicky way of exploring the world, as in the previous books, Eddings uses the world to tell the story in these books, and the effect is much more interesting.
Meg
The brilliant conclusion to an incredible epic fantasy series. What I found most amazing about this book was that there is a HUGE cast of characters, and yet almost every single one of them had distinct personalities, histories, relationships etc. The main character Garion became a lot more likable in this volume; I didn't particularly like him in the first few books, but the last two books in the Belgariad saw a marked improvement in his personality. The only thing I didn't like was that it cou...more
Chhaya
Since this is the second half of the saga, I was luckily past most of the withholding-crucial-information-from-your-characters-as-plot-device (which happened A LOT in the first half). It was fun to read the payoff from all the buildup of the first half, especially since not everything went quite as planned. I really could have used a introductory listing of characters to help keep the dozens of characters and countries straight. Still, there was some good fleshing out of characters who began as...more
Sue Davies
I absolutely love this series. The characters are so believable you want to champion them on.
Aaron
One of the best fantasy series I have read.
Jenn
Not quite what I expected but very good
Angie
Despite a few of unanswered questions, I was fascinated with how the author describe all the nations and their gods. Each of this nation has distinct characteristics and history, I actually laugh at the source of problems and years of hate between Mimbrate and Asturia ("We hate each other over a technicality?")
I can forgive the not-so-great ending with the political and wargames stories. Overall, all those hours invested in this book? It was worth it!
Nick
Book 2 (I guess 4 and 5) were way better than 1-3. There was more coherence, story and depth to Vol 2 than I was expecting. I do have a question for all the ladies, though. I thought Belgarath, Garion, Berek, Silk and Polgara were all well written 3 dimensional characters but I found Cenedra sort of paper thin and annoying. Is this because I am a dude and shut up? Or because David Eddings didn't really know how to write a teenage girl?
Mutant Supermodel
Fun fantasy series for sure. I liked the first three books better than the last two. I felt the last two got overly fluffy and drawn out. Once it was clear what had to happen, let's just get to it instead of all this dilly-dallying! :D
Also I could do without the whole You get a wife! And you get a wife! And you get a wife! Good job everybody! You're all winners and these wives are your prizes! WOO HOO!
Scott
Overall just ok. It really started to feel like a long march through wet sand to get to the end. I just lost interest in the characters after a while, which is unfortunate because some of the minor characters were just starting to develop. Got through page 398 and called it quits. I might pick it back up again, but then again it will probably sit on the shelf until I make a Goodwill run.
Malina
I liked it.I already liked the characters and was invested in them and they continued to develop. There were really good parts and the writing is good. But there were things that I disagree with and at times it seemed preachy. The ending was not as great as I was hoping for it to be. But I couldn't tell you why. I would recommend it but it isn't the same level as Tolkien IMHO.
Jim
It seems forever ago that I read this series -- it was during my junior year that I stumbled across the first book. I was immediately hooked. The way Tolkein and Rowling did (albeit with less commercial success), the Eddings were able to not only create a great story and characters but to develop and entire world for their characters to inhabit. Highly recommended.
Amanda
Okay, so I didn't actually read this whole book this time around. I figure after a few months of no progress, I should just take it off my currently reading list. But I have read it a few times and I do love it. I'll pick it up again when I'm not reading Alex Flinn, Rick Riordan, Suzanne Collins, and a few others for the first time. Still a great series though!
Johnny Feng
Jun 02, 2008 Johnny Feng rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those who are fans of fantasy
Shelves: advisorybooks
With the success of their mission, Garion and his group must return to where it all began. As the final battle approaches with the completion of the prophecy, many truths that have been hidden will be revealed to all. All of the prophecies have led up to a final battle between Garion and Torak himself for the peace of the West or the enslavement of all.
Veronique Auger
This is different than what I would normally read seeing as it's an "adventure/fantasy" story. I would say it`s a mix between Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings and I loved it. A friend suggested it and although I was hesitant, I read it. I'm not sure it's for everyone and perhaps it's geared towards adolescents but it is interesting nonetheless.
Gabriel Salter
It doesn't quite stand up to the first three books, but the difference is minimal. Another solid, humorous edition to David Eddings's epic fantasy series, ending the series on just the right emotional note.
Randy Patton
This series has been excellent! The characters continue their quest to battle the evil forces of the eastern kingdoms and the evil god. During the last book one of the sections kind of droned on a bit with the description of the battle. But this is the only slow part of this volume. A very enjoyable read.
Mikel
Love, love,love it. It's not meant to be some huge unknown drama. You know the end from the beginning but the characters are wonderful! They have depth and humor that keep you laughing all the way through it. My husband and I quote it all the time. We have read these tons of times. I just added the lastest.
Cristi Wilcox DiGenova
Good solid epic fantasy offering. If you liked Lord of the Rings, Shannara, Dragonbone Chair, or other quest-driven save-the-universe fantasy, then I definitely recommend it!

The end was a *little* disappointing only because it was not really that surprising. Overall, very good, though.

Steph Jackson
This book rates higher than it's generally warranted to because of the simply because I have many fond memories about reading these books (keep in mind also, this is the edition I got around to buying a few years ago, but I read them long before that- the editions here are the ones I have to lend)
Lori
While openly written as a formulaic fantasy, the author(s) [David later credited his wife, Leigh, as being a co-writer for the series] still manage to make a compelling tale filled with vivacious characters who are interesting to follow wherever they will take you.
Mike
This five book series is a must read for anyone whether they like the science fiction/fantasy genre or not. My promise to you is get through the first 6 chapters of the first book and you will not be able to put this book down.
Hank
Apr 02, 2007 Hank rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: modern
A favorite of mine as a child, with characters of perhaps a stereotypical sort, but well-written and enjoyable in the end. Plenty of magic, mayhem, plots, and characters, these books whet my appetite for fantasy.
  • Legacy of the Drow Collector's Edition (Legacy of the Drow, #1-4; Legend of Drizzt, #7-10)
  • The Free Bards (Bardic Voices, #1-3)
  • The Wheel of Time: Boxed Set #3 (Wheel of Time, #7-9)
  • The Complete Book of Swords (Books of Swords, #1-3)
  • Talon of the Silver Hawk (Conclave of Shadows, #1)
  • The Elric Saga Part II (Elric Saga, #4-6)
  • The King's Justice (The Histories of King Kelson, #2)
  • The Darkest Day (Iron Tower Trilogy, #3)
  • The Heritage of Shannara (Heritage of Shannara #1-4)
  • The Sword of Truth, Boxed Set III: The Pillars of Creation, Naked Empire, Chainfire (Sword Of Truth, #7-9)
  • The Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant (The Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, #1-3)
  • Guardians of the Flame: The Warriors (Guardians of the Flame, #1-3)
David Eddings was an American author who has written several best-selling series of epic fantasy novels. David Eddings' wife, Leigh Eddings, is uncredited as co-author on many of his early books, but he has lately acknowledged that she contributed to them all.

David Eddings' first books (which were general fiction) sold moderately well. He later switched to writing epic fantasy, a field in which he...more
More about David Eddings...
Magician's Gambit (The Belgariad, #3) Enchanters' End Game (The Belgariad, #5) Belgarath the Sorcerer Castle of Wizardry (The Belgariad, #4) Pawn of Prophecy (The Belgariad, #1)