Start by marking “The Belgariad, Vol. Two: Castle of Wizardry / Enchanters' End Game (The Belgariad, #4-5)” as Want to Read:

The Belgariad, Vol. Two: Castle of Wizardry / Enchanters' End Game (The Belgariad #4-5)

4.37  ·  Rating Details ·  6,279 Ratings  ·  126 Reviews
David Eddings’ acclaimed series, The Belgariad, reaches its stunning conclusion in these final two gripping novels. Continue on this magnificent journey and be entranced by a saga of strange lands and peoples, of prophecy and strife set against the background of a seven-thousand-year war of men, Kings, and Gods.

The quest may be nearing its end, but the danger continues. A
Published August 27th 2002 by Del Rey (first published January 1st 1980)

To ask other readers questions about The Belgariad, Vol. Two, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Belgariad, Vol. Two

City of Bones by Cassandra ClareHush, Hush by Becca FitzpatrickCity of Glass by Cassandra ClareCity of Ashes by Cassandra ClareFallen by Lauren Kate
Books with Angels, Gods, or Demons
373rd out of 1,772 books — 2,865 voters
Anne of Green Gables by L.M. MontgomeryThe Complete Anne of Green Gables Boxed Set by L.M. MontgomeryEnder's Game by Orson Scott CardLittle Women by Louisa May AlcottElantris by Brandon Sanderson
Thomas Jefferson Education for Teens
57th out of 100 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Julien V
Thank gawd it's over.

Now, I don't regret reading this... but I could've spent my time enjoying better literature, that's for sure.

So this is straight YA fantasy, even if it's not marketed as such. Sad thing is, I would've enjoyed this series so much at 12-14 years old. Much older now, I can still like The Belgariad as a light story: tired, drunk, it's still readable (so add a half-star, if it's a main concern for you).

As a LoTR clone, it does an OK job, being easy to read (look at all the 'Tom
Mary
Jan 18, 2011 Mary rated it it was amazing
I overall loved these books.They have a nice flow of action,adventure and humor.You really get to know the characters and can easaly pick favorates and conect with them.The first book however is a little boring and can be hard to get in to because it has a lot of background to it. These books have a very good plot that is very diferent from alot of other books.The Belgariad is one of the top fantacy books and has an AMAZING ending infact it is the best ending of any book I have ever read.
Skyril
Sep 17, 2016 Skyril rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: adventurers who love a good long, roaming story with loveable characters
Recommended to Skyril by: Nights
4.5/5

The rich, life-like characters and climatic, very satisfying ending make this a wonderful tale that will live with me forever!

The only thing I'd say is that the books could be abridged a bit, as there's often some excessive information that isn't always relevant throughout all five books.
Maddy Lanslots
Jul 09, 2015 Maddy Lanslots rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
I don't have much to add to my review on Volume 1 of this series, because I just love it. You have to like a somewhat lighter type of fantasy, though - don't expect a level of fantasy like George Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire, because then you will be disappointed. Eddings' books are a nice, easy read that nevertheless have all the elements of a good fantasy series, in my opinion. I love these books. On to the Malloreon.
Penelope  ~Conversations with my cat~
Jeremy Preacher
Oct 31, 2012 Jeremy Preacher rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Omnibus edition, reviewing separately.

Castle of Wizardry:

On the one hand, there are parts of this book I really like - Garion's ascension in general is suitably legendary in feel, counterbalanced by his bewilderment at a role he is in fact totally unprepared for. And I do like Ce'Nedra's intelligent analysis and decisionmaking leading to her taking nominal charge. Basically most of what actually happens at Riva makes me happy.

On the other hand, Eddings's adorable but badly flawed attempt at lamp
Philip Mastandrea
Sep 21, 2016 Philip Mastandrea rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
4th book was slow and filler. I enjoyed the last book. Overall good series although it is more for younger adults in my opinion.
Zack Parks
Nov 07, 2011 Zack Parks rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
All in all, it was an okay story. I suppose it's not meant to be terribly serious, so I can't take it too seriously. It's a typical fantasy/adventure romp across an imaginary world, and it's got some memorable characters and interesting imagery. It was very predictable, and some of the scenes were awfully anti-climactic, however. One of the two big things that stood out to me that I enjoyed, were the political games that got played later on in The Belgariad, especially once the big war started ...more
Sebastien
Dec 22, 2011 Sebastien rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fan d'épic et de fantasie légère
Recommended to Sebastien by: Maxime Paquet
Shelves: high-fantasy
Continuant cette histoire merveilleuse qu'est las Belgariad, ce recueille contient les deux dernières partie et je vous dis qu'après avoir lu les trois première il est presque impossible de pouvoir résister à lire ce qui suit.

En plus, plus on avance, plus l'histoire devient intense et plus les personnages se mouille dans cette guerre. On voit Garion devenir de plus en plus puissant et grandir au travers de cette histoire. Au début il se fait protéger par ses amis et par ses protecteurs, mais au
Denise
I had a really hard time getting through these books - and probably only did because a friend of mine lent them to me, insisting that they were his childhood, and I, as a general rule, never return a borrowed book unread, especially during the summer. And maybe, just maybe, if I had been much younger, I might have enjoyed this series, but I think I can safely say it would not be one that really stuck with me as I got older.

I could write an essay probably, about why this work as a whole failed fo
Berry Muhl
Dec 08, 2015 Berry Muhl rated it it was amazing
I'll offer the same review for both volumes of this book. I didn't read the individual novels as they were published; my first encounter with Eddings took place via the collected series.

Short version: a funny, scary, adventurous, deep story, told well.

Long version: if you've only read a few fantasy series, as I have, it's hard to pigeonhole this. It's not as horrific as Terry Goodkind's novels, but still much more graphic than Tolkien's. I find myself comparing it to the LOTR trilogy, and coming
Tim Giauque
Nov 15, 2009 Tim Giauque rated it really liked it
The Belgariad. I remember my brother and my dad reading Eddings's books when I was younger, although I never bothered to follow suit until recently. I think I probably would have loved this story when I was younger.

Yeah, it's aimed at about a 9th- or 10th-grade reading level. Others have described it as "Tolkein-lite," which seems about right. The fifth book in the series, Enchanters' End Game, feels the most like Lord of the Rings to me, with its parallel stories of the huge battles and the "fe
Jessica
Jun 11, 2015 Jessica rated it liked it
I still really enjoyed most of the characters in this series and thought it to be a solid storyline. However two of the main characters seem very undeveloped and, frankly, unlikeable. Garion and Ce'Nedra were boring and childish (which I suppose is accurate since they're only 16 or so.) Their "relationship" really developed out of thin air and felt like just because it had to happen (prophecy, treaties, yada yada...) that it did happen. I never felt there were any significant events tied to them ...more
Sarah Anne
Nov 06, 2016 Sarah Anne rated it really liked it
This is surprisingly different from the first volume. The pacing is a lot more consistent and the story feels stronger. It's definitely an excellent end to the series. These ones are also different because they have a lot more POVs than the first ones. I've never liked Ce'Nedra but it was good to see her finally grow up a bit.

A quick word about the women in this series, though - they're manipulative. For the good of the men, of course. It's really really annoying. Especially since Ce'Nedra is a
Michael
Jun 15, 2016 Michael rated it liked it
This volume is comprised of two books, Castle of Wizardry and Enchanter's End Game. Having raced through the first volume in the series, I thought I would do the same with this one. Erm...no. Castle of Wizardry was somewhat enjoyable, but when I got to Enchanter's End Game there was just nothing there. 200 pages of building an army and talking about where they might lead them. Ugh. By the time I was halfway through Enchanter's End Game I just didn't care anymore. I didn't care about the ...more
Nora Jean
Sep 06, 2015 Nora Jean rated it it was ok
This entire series was a big disappointment. I went online and read the reviews before deciding to read this series and was very excited. While this book started strong, it went down hill with each book all the way to book 5. There is a lot in this book that is so cliche and just not well thought out. The biggest example is how "other" and "stupid" and "brutish" the villain race is in this book - the Thulls, Malloreans, and Nadaraks. I mean if they are so stupid and inferior how have the Alorns ...more
Chhaya
Sep 04, 2012 Chhaya rated it liked it
Since this is the second half of the saga, I was luckily past most of the withholding-crucial-information-from-your-characters-as-plot-device (which happened A LOT in the first half). It was fun to read the payoff from all the buildup of the first half, especially since not everything went quite as planned. I really could have used a introductory listing of characters to help keep the dozens of characters and countries straight. Still, there was some good fleshing out of characters who began as ...more
Christine
Jan 22, 2016 Christine rated it really liked it
Belgariad volume 2, books 4-5: It should not have taken me more than 2 years to read this volume. They are enjoyable, and I recommend them to anyone who likes the fantasy genre. They are similar to LOTR, however, far simpler to read, with less back story and philosophy that may bog you down (or in a positive light - flesh out the world more). Continues and concludes the story of Belgarion as he discovers who he is and how he plays a roll in the the prophecy that drives this world, gods and ...more
Mutant Supermodel
Apr 02, 2013 Mutant Supermodel rated it liked it
Fun fantasy series for sure. I liked the first three books better than the last two. I felt the last two got overly fluffy and drawn out. Once it was clear what had to happen, let's just get to it instead of all this dilly-dallying! :D
Also I could do without the whole You get a wife! And you get a wife! And you get a wife! Good job everybody! You're all winners and these wives are your prizes! WOO HOO!
Dominic
Aug 12, 2013 Dominic rated it really liked it
Book 2 (I guess 4 and 5) were way better than 1-3. There was more coherence, story and depth to Vol 2 than I was expecting. I do have a question for all the ladies, though. I thought Belgarath, Garion, Berek, Silk and Polgara were all well written 3 dimensional characters but I found Cenedra sort of paper thin and annoying. Is this because I am a dude and shut up? Or because David Eddings didn't really know how to write a teenage girl?
Jason Gordon
Jan 28, 2015 Jason Gordon rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I liked this series. It was not overly complicated and didn't try and trick me, but the characters were written well enough to continue to pull me through until the end. I also think there is at least some meat to discuss about it between people who have read it, and that is always a positive. I will probably check out the second five book series eventually, I just have other books I'd like to finish in between.
A.D. Rutter
Feb 11, 2016 A.D. Rutter rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
This review is for the whole of the Belgariad series.

A classic adventure with a huge range of characters that make you laugh and irritate you incessantly. David Eddings is a strong writer with a great ability to develop a vibrant and richly varied world. The storyline is not really anything new by today's standards, but then, this was written well before much of what is available today. This is a thoroughly enjoyable read for the whole family.
Angie
May 13, 2012 Angie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Despite a few of unanswered questions, I was fascinated with how the author describe all the nations and their gods. Each of this nation has distinct characteristics and history, I actually laugh at the source of problems and years of hate between Mimbrate and Asturia ("We hate each other over a technicality?")
I can forgive the not-so-great ending with the political and wargames stories. Overall, all those hours invested in this book? It was worth it!
Veronique Auger
May 27, 2007 Veronique Auger rated it really liked it
This is different than what I would normally read seeing as it's an "adventure/fantasy" story. I would say it`s a mix between Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings and I loved it. A friend suggested it and although I was hesitant, I read it. I'm not sure it's for everyone and perhaps it's geared towards adolescents but it is interesting nonetheless. ...more
Johnny Feng
Jun 02, 2008 Johnny Feng rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: those who are fans of fantasy
Shelves: advisorybooks
With the success of their mission, Garion and his group must return to where it all began. As the final battle approaches with the completion of the prophecy, many truths that have been hidden will be revealed to all. All of the prophecies have led up to a final battle between Garion and Torak himself for the peace of the West or the enslavement of all.
Amanda
May 22, 2012 Amanda rated it really liked it
Okay, so I didn't actually read this whole book this time around. I figure after a few months of no progress, I should just take it off my currently reading list. But I have read it a few times and I do love it. I'll pick it up again when I'm not reading Alex Flinn, Rick Riordan, Suzanne Collins, and a few others for the first time. Still a great series though!
Malina
Nov 26, 2011 Malina rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
I liked it.I already liked the characters and was invested in them and they continued to develop. There were really good parts and the writing is good. But there were things that I disagree with and at times it seemed preachy. The ending was not as great as I was hoping for it to be. But I couldn't tell you why. I would recommend it but it isn't the same level as Tolkien IMHO.
Randy Patton
Feb 02, 2014 Randy Patton rated it really liked it
This series has been excellent! The characters continue their quest to battle the evil forces of the eastern kingdoms and the evil god. During the last book one of the sections kind of droned on a bit with the description of the battle. But this is the only slow part of this volume. A very enjoyable read.
Scott
Jul 06, 2013 Scott rated it it was ok
Shelves: gave-up
Overall just ok. It really started to feel like a long march through wet sand to get to the end. I just lost interest in the characters after a while, which is unfortunate because some of the minor characters were just starting to develop. Got through page 398 and called it quits. I might pick it back up again, but then again it will probably sit on the shelf until I make a Goodwill run.
Andrew Vrana
Sep 17, 2014 Andrew Vrana rated it liked it
Better than Volume 1. These climactic final two books made me feel like reading the series wasn't a waste of time. Rather than using the plot as a gimmicky way of exploring the world, as in the previous books, Eddings uses the world to tell the story in these books, and the effect is much more interesting.
  • Legacy of the Drow Collector's Edition (Legacy of the Drow, #1-4; Legend of Drizzt, #7-10)
  • The Free Bards (Bardic Voices, #1-3)
  • The Wheel of Time: Boxed Set #2 (Wheel of Time, #4-6)
  • The Heritage of Shannara (Heritage of Shannara, #1-4)
  • Squaring the Circle (Circle of Light, #4)
  • The Lost Swords: Endgame
  • The King's Justice (The Histories of King Kelson, #2)
  • The Elric Saga Part II (Elric Saga, #4-6)
  • Magician: Apprentice, Volume 2
David Eddings was an American author who wrote several best-selling series of epic fantasy novels. David Eddings' wife, Leigh Eddings, was an uncredited co-author on many of his early books, but he had later acknowledged that she contributed to them all.

David Eddings' first books (which were general fiction) sold moderately well. He later switched to writing epic fantasy, a field in which he achie
More about David Eddings...

The Belgariad (5 books)
  • Pawn of Prophecy (The Belgariad, #1)
  • Queen of Sorcery (The Belgariad, #2)
  • Magician's Gambit (The Belgariad, #3)
  • Castle of Wizardry (The Belgariad, #4)
  • Enchanters' End Game (The Belgariad, #5)