Start by marking “The Upheaval (The Survivor Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Upheaval (The Survivor Chronicles, #1)
Open Preview read excerpt

The Upheaval (The Survivor Chronicles #1)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  310 ratings  ·  30 reviews
The First tremors of the earth were felt at 7:22 EST. time. Every single person felt the rumbling, and experienced the tremors that would forever alter the course of history. Most did not survive. These are the accounts of some of those that did.

*Note* This book is the first compilation of a serial story, due to this fact it does not have a conclusion.

*Due to language an
Published November 12th 2013 (first published July 30th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Upheaval, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Upheaval

Travis by Nicole EdwardsZane by Nicole EdwardsReal by Katy EvansKaleb by Nicole EdwardsAlien Species Intervention Books 1-3 by J.K. Accinni
Best Books By Indie Authors
174th out of 820 books — 1,020 voters
As You Wish by Cathy JacksonFlat-Out Celeste by Jessica ParkPariah by Casey L. BondThe Key by Jennifer Anne DavisAngels Dawn by Komali da Silva
Unofficial UtopYA 2015 Award Eligible Books
199th out of 428 books — 785 voters

More lists with this book...

Tina_K
I powered through this book in one day because it was So! Damn! Good!

When it comes to post-apoc books I can be very picky and judgmental. Seems like lots of them involved young adults or teens and I simply don't relate very well. Others are very poorly written or self pubs with poor editing. Both of which are very frustrating for me.

This book though - it featured characters in a range of ages with very realistic development. The writing was smooth and consistent and the editing was excellent. Lo
Dave Farmer
There are 2 reasons why I'm glad the word "Chronicles" appeared in the title. Firstly, because I absolutely want to read the second book in what is to be a series, and hopefully a good series at that. And secondly, I didn't want this being a stand alone story as I feel the good stuff is yet to come.

I found some similarities to Chasm by Stephen Laws, which is no bad thing as giant seemingly bottomless holes in the earth is a scary concept.

Whilst there is indeed plenty of action here, and good cha
Kasi
This book is a real addition to the apocalypse genre. Everything about this book hits the spot, except for a very few spots of awkward phrasing or strange sentencing Stevens puts together a great book. The plot line is strong and the multiple viewpoints really brings the horror of the end of the world to life. While there may be some circumstances that come off as convenient or easy I feel like in the end the story reads realistically. Each character is well developed and unique and has an indiv ...more
Tulara
Continuing my research on "end of the world as we know it" reading material, this series caught my eye. I like series as I get to know the people better. At the end of the first book, however, I still don't know what caused the mayhem - just as the people in the book, so I guess that is a good thing. Keeps me guessing! Just like in Lost, where a group of people are caught up in an event bigger themselves, this cast is taken from neighborhoods, people at work and at play and thrusts them into nat ...more
jody rinehart
Love!

this is the second time reading this book from this amazing author, Erica Stevens. she is in my top 5 of favorite authors, can't wait to read the last book in the series.
Gretchen
For those of you who are into books about the end of the world, or the apocalypse, then this is a book you should read. It has all of the doomsday stuff in it that you see a lot, but it is also much more psychological and at times very realistic when it comes to the actions and thoughts of the characters in the book. From major earthquakes to volcanoes and birds dropping out of the sky, it has a lot of action in it and there is a lot of death. It's the end of the world as these people know it; ...more
Samantha Loving
Amazing ! I loved it and after starting and finishing 2 of Erica's books in 2 days I had to go buy more! She's definitely a new favorite author and if you like post-apocalyptic stories she's an author for you:)
Christine Blachford
This is the first in a series of books about an apocalyptic disaster and what happens to those that attempt to survive. I thought it was fascinating - I mean, I love a good disaster movie and this was essentially one of those in written form. Each chapter brought a new peril for the surviving characters, unable to trust the earth beneath their feet.

There were a few things that stood out for me, the disappearance of one of the characters after the earth split - achingly real. Also wading through
chucklesthescot
This was a decent enough read in the apocalypse genre. This review is for the what I was told was the first part of book one which I received free. I read it because a friend recommended it. Otherwise I wouldn't have started it as I don't like these serial novels where you have no idea of how many parts you need to buy to actually get the whole story. And most times they are released in short novella form at the same price of standard books. So I pretty much object to serial books in general. I ...more
Katie
Jul 01, 2013 Katie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Katie by: Smashwords
LOVE LOVE these characters. They are family now. I care for them like they are truly real, which is a good thing. I can see this new world thanks to your writing. You can tell you love these people too. Everyone needs to read your work. they will love it and you too. Onward!!

If you have not read this, do so NOW!! I can see this as a mini series and can not understand how a large publishing house has not picked this up, along with her other works. If you like apocalyptic works, then this is for
Alice
2 stars.

I'm sorry I felt so uncomfortable reading this…I can't connect, the characters, the writing, the storyline. And I don't even know what was this book about? The plot was very odd.

Short review:
The writing: Confusing. (2,5 stars)

The character: Annoying. I just don't like it. Too much characters. (2 stars)

The story and plot: Very odd. Predictable. (2 stars)

Oh and yeah this is not zombie book.
Amber
This book will keep you on your toes and running right along side the survivors! I really enjoyed it and found that all the characters had interesting qualities to them but I did pick out a few favorites. As much as I enjoyed the book and the feeling that I really was experiencing the end of the world with these characters, there were a number of editorial oversights that were hard to ignore - Words missing or repeated in various places throughout the entire book. With a better editing job I wou ...more
Elizabeth
This was a decent end of the world scenario. Although the characters are well fleshed out, I found that I wasn't connecting with them, and the world wasn't really believable. There just wasn't the terror, shock, emotional response etc that I expected. The world is pretty much blowing up - there should be some stuff going on in the heads of the characters. They seemed to be simplified over the course of the story, which started out very interesting and really sucked me in.

I'll read the next one
Beccie
A good dystopian read with some older characters. You don't know why everything is happening but it's an action packed adventure that'll keep you engaged. Looking forward to the next book
Brad T.
I am not 100% certain how to classify this book. I thought I was reading an end of the world novel but somewhere along the lines it turned into a YA/romance novel. With one hell of a lot of action thrown in to confuse me. I am not the biggest fan of a minute by minute novel, the first 351 pages covered just 5 hours which is a trademark of serialized fiction (which this started out as). But it kept my attention and I purchased book 2. What other recommendation do you need?
Melissa Snow
This book deserves way more than 5 stars!!!

I didn't read this book....I EXPERIENCED this book...I LIVED this book. When I turned to the second page of Chapter 1, I no longer read words but saw pictures. This story played out like an amazing 3D movie in my mind and I felt every tremor, felt every wave of heat and smelled every hideous smell. I found myself breathless and short of breath most times and completely exhausted through most of it.

John Cooley
This is a great survival story, Im really enjoying the read, This switching first person narrative to a different character each chapter is interesting, a little disconcerting at first until you get to know all the characters, once the main characters are all well established, i holds the story together well. I would definitely recommend the book to anyone looking for a good "end of the world" type book!
Jan
I enjoyed this book and will read more from this author. In the title is says Parts 1-24. This seems a little odd. Is the author trying to say she chopped the whole book into parts?
This book was a free download which I appreciate. Will be happy to purchase the next one.
Annmarie
This was a good first book for what could potentially be a good series. Written well.
May Mcgregor
Maybe I'm being a little harsh with my rating for
This. I just didn't get it. Is it a series of chapters released that will eventually make a good book or just little stand alone books about the same time frame from different peoples pov?

Mia Michalek
This story had a good story line, but I felt as if it dragged at certain points in the story. I enjoyed the different points of view, but hope the next book isn't too jumpy as its big brother.
Kathy Harrington
The resolve of there 2 groups was unbelievable. I could only hope that if it was me, that I'd be the same. Yes, there was loss, but look at what the world they lived in has become.
Kari
prepare to be totally freaked out. this end of the world tale is well done. characters are likeable and you route for them and their survival. looking forward to reading book 2.
Tiffany
This is the BEST end of the world book I have ever read. It is so descriptive that it is more vivid than watching a movie. I CANNNOT wait for the next book in this series!
Faye
What a brilliant book. The apocalypse starts with massive quakes and the disasters just keep coming. Couldn't put it down. Can highly recommend it!
Kristal Mcclure
Beyond fabulous. I am currently reading book 2 on Erica Stevens' blog for free. A new chapter every week. Oh, the suspense!
Christine Young
Absolutely Amazing!!! I was on the edge of my seat for the whole book!!!
Lynn
Nov 10, 2013 Lynn added it
I have really enjoyed all of her books. I can't wait to finish her series.
Laurie
good book...interesting events and realistic
  • The Release (Virulent, #1)
  • Renewal
  • An Empty Land of Plenty
  • Testament
  • The Bloodstone Saga: The Complete Collection (The Bloodstone Saga, #1-4)
  • The End: A Postapocalyptic Novel (The New World Series, #1)
  • That Last Onset (Jason and Azazel Apocalypse, #3)
  • The Zona
  • The Sixth Discipline (Haven #1)
  • Love and Decay, Episode Nine (Love and Decay #9)
  • The Believers (Breeders #2)
  • Outage (Powerless Nation, #1)
  • Information Cloud (Tales of Cinnamon City, #1)
  • Contagious
  • After: First Light (After, #0.5)
  • The Innocence of White: Gabi & Jack’s Story (Vamp Chronicles, #3.5)
  • When Night Falls
  • Winter's Warrior: Mark of the Monarch (Winter's Saga, #4)
Though my name is not really Erica Stevens, it is a pen name that I chose in memory of two amazing friends lost too soon, I do however live in Mass with my wonderful husband and our fish Klinger, and crazy puppy Loki. I have a large and crazy family that I fit in well with. I am thankful every day for the love and laughter they have brought to my life. I have always loved to write and am an avid r ...more
More about Erica Stevens...
Captured (The Captive, #1) Renegade (The Captive, #2) Refugee (The Captive, #3) Salvation (The Captive, #4) Kindred (The Kindred, #1)

“There were more than just earthquakes and steaming holes to fear here, she realized as the hair on the back of her neck stood up, and a cold sweat broke out on her forehead. There were also humans. She wasn't sure what frightened her more.” 2 likes