Start by marking “The Little Bear Treasury: Little Bear/ Little Bear's Friend/ Little Bear's Visit” as Want to Read:

Hardcover collection.
Published January 1st 2003 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about The Little Bear Treasury, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Little Bear Treasury

Edric the Hatchling Gryphon by Eric K. WilliamsMad About Madeline by Ludwig BemelmansPaddington Treasury by Michael BondThe Frog and Toad Treasury by Arnold LobelThe 20th Century Children's Book Treasury by Janet Schulman
Children's Book Treasuries
38th out of 96 books — 8 voters
Little Bear's Visit by Else Holmelund MinarikLittle Bear by Else Holmelund MinarikA Kiss for Little Bear by Else Holmelund MinarikFather Bear Comes Home by Else Holmelund MinarikLittle Bear's Friend by Else Holmelund Minarik
Best of Else Holmelund Minarik
14th out of 58 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Feb 19, 2016 Carl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Sweet. touching stories with absolutely beautiful illustrations. Whether or not you have a "little bear" in your life, these books are wonderful.

> update... had some time with my little bear yesterday to read this with him. He's just learned the word "birthday", so he really like the Birthday Soup story, which has always been a favourite of mine too.
Douglas Cootey
Jun 29, 2015 Douglas Cootey rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: picture book lovers
Recommended to Douglas by: Mum
This is an adorable collection and a favorite of all four of my girls. Oddly, only three of the five Little Bear books are included in this treasury. Sendak's artwork is delightful, but sometimes people forget that he only illustrated the books. Else Minarik's narration is whimsical, warm, and reminiscent of a forgotten time. I imagine it was quaint and old fashioned when "Little Bear" was first published in the late 50s, but Minarik's cleverness gives these stories a timeless quality that is cl ...more
Margo Martin
The book Little Bear’s Visit written by Else Holmelund Minarik is a chapter book that includes four different chapters. In the first chapter, ‘Grandmother and Grandfather bear’, little bear goes to visit his grandparents where they feed him all types of good food, such as cake and cookies and milk and honey. Then, little bear and grandfather sit down outside where little bear wants grandfather to read him a story, but upon his return, he is already asleep. Little bear then goes on to find his gr ...more
This treasury included three books, "Little Bear," "Little Bear's Friend" and the Caldecott Honor book for 1962, "Little Bear's Visit". Apparently I had read "Little Bear", the first book in this treasury, back in 2009 but didn't remember it. Oh well, it wasn't any better the second time. I know this series is really popular but I just didn't like it. The text flow was off and the stories were awkward. The illustrations by Maurice Sendak are pretty much the treasury's only redeeming quality. I l ...more
Oct 13, 2015 Zoë rated it it was amazing
Shelves: collections
I will never forget Little Bear. Probably some of my earliest childhood memories, and a time of literally 100% pure innocence.

Sarah Davis
I loved the Little Bear books when I was a child. I also read these books to my children, but they preferred the NickJr "Little Bear" show. Ah well
Jan 31, 2016 Kate rated it liked it
Mother Bear is a fairly discouraging figure, but Sendak's illustrations are wonderful.
Apr 24, 2012 Heather rated it liked it
Currently reading this book. We just finished Wind in the Willows, and this book is going to ZOOM right on by us. I was hoping it was going to be 1/2 in the middle of Wind in the Willows & 1/2 between Frog & Toad are friends. Only cause I'm tired of reading Frog & Toad. <3 them don't get me wrong, it's tiresome reading it 1000 times tho. This is a very very easy book to read. Surely the kids can DIY on this one & leave me out of it. ;)
Lucia Benzor
Dec 14, 2010 Lucia Benzor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Okay so I only read Little Bear's visit but it wasn't there by itself. This was funny, easy to read, and a classic. You can't find books written like this anymore. Even the pictures, because the book is old, can give reader's insight as to how things used to be in the olden days. Funny!
Story Revolution
To celebrate Little Bear's thirty-fifth anniversary, three paperback editions in the seriesLittle Bear, Father Bear Comes Home, and Little Bear's Visithave been slipcased in a boxed gift set for a whole new generation of children.

Oct 27, 2013 Emily rated it really liked it
This book contains three of the Little Bear stories. I love every one of these stories and can remember reading them when I was little. The three stories are Little Bear, Little Bear's Friend, and Little Bear's Visit.
Feb 09, 2009 Carel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh, how I love Little Bear and his family & friends! This author is really in tune with how little people see the world ~ it's a delightful read and you don't have to have children to enjoy it.
May 07, 2008 Kat rated it it was amazing
This was one of my favorite books when I was a little kid. I read and reread this collection more times than I can count. The pictures from the book are still clear as day in my memory.
May 14, 2008 Gretchen rated it really liked it
These books are wonderful--they teach many things we want our children to learn and they are good for beginning readers--the drawings are great.
Jul 15, 2013 CalebJacobOwenZac rated it really liked it
Caleb (5) liked it well enough. But I was surprised at how well it held Jacob's attention at age 3. He loved it. Maybe because he is my Osito :)
Dec 14, 2013 Theresa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
early reader set, have the set that i own, and they were in the library for early elementary education
Jul 30, 2014 Ted rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful book with illustrations by Maurice Sendak (who did Where the Wild Things Are).
Aug 11, 2009 Lori added it
I never get tired of Little Bear! And now Michaela is reading a few words, too!
Hannah Thill
May 08, 2009 Hannah Thill rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The illustrations are worth looking at.
Some of my absolute favorite early readers.
Jun 24, 2015 Rachel rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2014, stars-3
I liked it. ...more
Kassandra Mendez
Kassandra Mendez rated it really liked it
Oct 18, 2016
Holly marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2016
Amanda added it
Oct 07, 2016
Reading marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2016
Kenni added it
Sep 29, 2016
Eileen rated it it was amazing
Sep 29, 2016
Annie added it
Sep 27, 2016
Kate Johnston
Kate Johnston rated it really liked it
Oct 02, 2016
  • Tell Me a Mitzi
  • Nutshell Library
  • Henry and Mudge and the Long Weekend (Henry and Mudge, #11)
  • Lyle and the Birthday Party
  • What Do You Do, Dear?
  • Mouse and Mole: A Winter Wonderland
  • Frog And Toad Book Set: Frog And Toad Are Friends; Frog And Toad Together; Days With Frog And Toad; Frog And Toad All Year  (Frog and Toad #1-4)
  • Burt Dow, Deep-Water Man
  • Good Night, Good Knight
  • One Hungry Monster: A Counting Book in Rhyme
  • Thy Friend, Obadiah
  • Winnie The Pooh Treasury
Else Holmelund Minarik was the author of the Little Bear series of children's books, which were successful as books, and were also made into a successful children's TV series. The Little Bear books sold more than 6 million copies worldwide.

Else Minarik was also the author of another well-known book, No Fighting, No Biting!

She was born in Denmark, and with her family immigrated to the United States
More about Else Holmelund Minarik...