Start by marking “The Little Bear Treasury: Little Bear/ Little Bear's Friend/ Little Bear's Visit” as Want to Read:

Hardcover collection.
Published January 1st 2003 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about The Little Bear Treasury, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Little Bear Treasury

Douglas Cootey
Jun 29, 2015 Douglas Cootey rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: picture book lovers
Recommended to Douglas by: Mum
This is an adorable collection and a favorite of all four of my girls. Oddly, only three of the five Little Bear books are included in this treasury. Sendak's artwork is delightful, but sometimes people forget that he only illustrated the books. Else Minarik's narration is whimsical, warm, and reminiscent of a forgotten time. I imagine it was quaint and old fashioned when "Little Bear" was first published in the late 50s, but Minarik's cleverness gives these stories a timeless quality that is cl ...more
Carl
Feb 19, 2016 Carl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Sweet. touching stories with absolutely beautiful illustrations. Whether or not you have a "little bear" in your life, these books are wonderful.

> update... had some time with my little bear yesterday to read this with him. He's just learned the word "birthday", so he really like the Birthday Soup story, which has always been a favourite of mine too.
Margo Martin
The book Little Bear’s Visit written by Else Holmelund Minarik is a chapter book that includes four different chapters. In the first chapter, ‘Grandmother and Grandfather bear’, little bear goes to visit his grandparents where they feed him all types of good food, such as cake and cookies and milk and honey. Then, little bear and grandfather sit down outside where little bear wants grandfather to read him a story, but upon his return, he is already asleep. Little bear then goes on to find his gr ...more
Rachel
This treasury included three books, "Little Bear," "Little Bear's Friend" and the Caldecott Honor book for 1962, "Little Bear's Visit". Apparently I had read "Little Bear", the first book in this treasury, back in 2009 but didn't remember it. Oh well, it wasn't any better the second time. I know this series is really popular but I just didn't like it. The text flow was off and the stories were awkward. The illustrations by Maurice Sendak are pretty much the treasury's only redeeming quality. I l ...more
Heather
Apr 24, 2012 Heather rated it liked it
Currently reading this book. We just finished Wind in the Willows, and this book is going to ZOOM right on by us. I was hoping it was going to be 1/2 in the middle of Wind in the Willows & 1/2 between Frog & Toad are friends. Only cause I'm tired of reading Frog & Toad. <3 them don't get me wrong, it's tiresome reading it 1000 times tho. This is a very very easy book to read. Surely the kids can DIY on this one & leave me out of it. ;)
Lucia Benzor
Dec 14, 2010 Lucia Benzor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Okay so I only read Little Bear's visit but it wasn't there by itself. This was funny, easy to read, and a classic. You can't find books written like this anymore. Even the pictures, because the book is old, can give reader's insight as to how things used to be in the olden days. Funny!
Emily
Oct 27, 2013 Emily rated it really liked it
This book contains three of the Little Bear stories. I love every one of these stories and can remember reading them when I was little. The three stories are Little Bear, Little Bear's Friend, and Little Bear's Visit.
Story Revolution
To celebrate Little Bear's thirty-fifth anniversary, three paperback editions in the seriesLittle Bear, Father Bear Comes Home, and Little Bear's Visithave been slipcased in a boxed gift set for a whole new generation of children.

Zoë
Oct 13, 2015 Zoë rated it it was amazing
Shelves: collections
I will never forget Little Bear. Probably some of my earliest childhood memories, and a time of literally 100% pure innocence.

Carel
Feb 09, 2009 Carel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh, how I love Little Bear and his family & friends! This author is really in tune with how little people see the world ~ it's a delightful read and you don't have to have children to enjoy it.
Sarah Davis
I loved the Little Bear books when I was a child. I also read these books to my children, but they preferred the NickJr "Little Bear" show. Ah well
Theresa
Dec 14, 2013 Theresa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
early reader set, have the set that i own, and they were in the library for early elementary education
Gretchen
May 14, 2008 Gretchen rated it really liked it
These books are wonderful--they teach many things we want our children to learn and they are good for beginning readers--the drawings are great.
CalebJacobOwenZac
Jul 15, 2013 CalebJacobOwenZac rated it really liked it
Caleb (5) liked it well enough. But I was surprised at how well it held Jacob's attention at age 3. He loved it. Maybe because he is my Osito :)
Kat
May 07, 2008 Kat rated it it was amazing
This was one of my favorite books when I was a little kid. I read and reread this collection more times than I can count. The pictures from the book are still clear as day in my memory.
Sara
Sara rated it liked it
Jun 07, 2015
Dara
Dara rated it it was amazing
Mar 07, 2015
Angel
Angel rated it really liked it
Dec 03, 2011
Taylor Siedel
Taylor Siedel rated it it was amazing
Mar 14, 2016
Kelly Moore
Kelly Moore rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2015
Lucy
Lucy rated it it was amazing
May 22, 2007
Kate Johnston
Kate Johnston rated it really liked it
Oct 02, 2016
Carol R. Atteberry
Carol R. Atteberry rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2016
Melissa H
Melissa H rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2013
Abdalaleem
Abdalaleem rated it it was amazing
Apr 08, 2012
Sina Lucia
Sina Lucia rated it liked it
Apr 27, 2010
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it liked it
Apr 30, 2014
Katrina Stiff
Katrina Stiff rated it it was amazing
Oct 29, 2015
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Oct 24, 2014
Esther Owens
Esther Owens rated it really liked it
Feb 28, 2016
  • Tell Me a Mitzi
  • Nutshell Library
  • Henry and Mudge and the Long Weekend (Henry and Mudge, #11)
  • Lyle and the Birthday Party
  • What Do You Do, Dear?
  • Mouse and Mole: A Winter Wonderland
  • Frog And Toad Book Set: Frog And Toad Are Friends; Frog And Toad Together; Days With Frog And Toad; Frog And Toad All Year  (Frog and Toad #1-4)
  • Burt Dow, Deep-Water Man
  • Good Night, Good Knight
  • One Hungry Monster: A Counting Book in Rhyme
  • Thy Friend, Obadiah
  • Winnie The Pooh Treasury
Else Holmelund Minarik was the author of the Little Bear series of children's books, which were successful as books, and were also made into a successful children's TV series. The Little Bear books sold more than 6 million copies worldwide.

Else Minarik was also the author of another well-known book, No Fighting, No Biting!

She was born in Denmark, and with her family immigrated to the United States
More about Else Holmelund Minarik...