Start by marking “The Birds and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
The Birds and Other Stories

The Birds and Other Stories

4.02  ·  Rating Details ·  4,514 Ratings  ·  306 Reviews
A classic of alienation and horror, The Birds was immortalised by Hitchcock in his celebrated film. The five other chilling stories in this collection echo a sense of dislocation and mock man's dominance over the natural world. The mountain paradise of 'Monte Verità' promises immortality, but at a terrible price; a neglected wife haunts her husband in the form of an apple ...more
Published December 17th 2013 by Little, Brown and Company (first published January 1st 1952)

To ask other readers questions about The Birds and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Birds and Other Stories

karen
Oct 16, 2015 karen rated it really liked it
in calculating my enjoyment of this collection, i might have made a mathematical error. there are six stories in this collection, and i only disliked one of them. granted, the one i disliked was the longest story, which gives it more negative weight, but my love of the last story was so great that i think i shall round this up to four stars.

there.

since there are only six stories, it is not a trial for me to review them separately.

The Birds

yeah, we've all seen the movie.

but du maurier's story
Barry Pierce
The title story of this collection is quite good. I mean, we've all seen The Birds but the original story is slightly different. It's by far the best story in here. The next story is a 60-page story about fucking mountaineering and it's so bad that it literally put me off reading anything for days. In fact, all of the other stories in this collection are strangely sub-par. The only other somewhat readable story in here is last one and that's barely ten pages long. This collection is far inferior ...more
Carol
A unique and bizarre collection of entertaining short stories that certainly ends on a shockingly good high note!

The Birds: Much less to the storyline than the well-known Hitchcock movie version.....with the exception of the killer birds, but still creepy good with an old cottage on a farm for a setting and blustery winter winds to add to the eerie suspense of attack.......but oh so short! (I wanted more)

Monte Verita: This was definitely my least favorite (and unfortunately the longest) of the s

Fiona
Aug 31, 2016 Fiona rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library-books
I am still in shock over how wonder this book was. Each story perfect and haunting in its own unique way. Each story just the right length, not a word too long, not a page too short. Breathtaking storytelling from Du Maurier.
Viv JM
I thought this was an excellent collection of short stories. There wasn't a single one I didn't enjoy. Du Maurier builds suspense and drama superbly and effortlessly, and there's a real gothic atmosphere in a few of the stories, especially The Birds, The Apple Tree and Monte Verita (my personal favourite in the collection). I really must get round to reading some of her novels!
Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder*

“When she smiled it was as though she embraced the world.”

One may assume an anthology with six mere stories would be a little short or lacking, but since she leans towards longer anthology pieces, it works out well for the length. I was excited to read this, especially being such a fan of Rebecca and Daphne du Maurier's gothic ambience. Simply must find more of her stuff, and soon.

The Birds ended up a great story that doesn't disappoint. True to the word of other reviewers, it is much different
Hanneke
Jun 15, 2014 Hanneke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This collection of short stories was a spontaneous purchase in a secondhand book store. The title story is prominently displayed on the front cover and that made me curious. I really had no idea that Daphne du Maurier was the author of 'The Birds'. Well, it proved to be a very intriguing collection of supernatural stories. They were a joy to read as they are all written in a very elegant and haunting prose. The stories ranged from the apocalyptic to the mysterious, varying in atmosphere from tal ...more
Obsidian
Dec 14, 2016 Obsidian rated it really liked it
Nope, nope, nope. Nope. How many nopes is that? Anyway, nope. Seriously though, you have to hand to Daphne du Maurier, she definitely knows how to tell a story. And in this case, several stories. I read another one of her anthologies this year, and thought what a great weaver of tales she was.

There are six stories in this collection and they pack a punch, but my favorites hands down were "The Birds", "The Apple Tree", and "The Old Man."

The Birds (5 stars)-Unlike the Alfred Hitchcock movie that
Blair
After loving Don't Look Now & Other Stories, I felt compelled to move straight on to another compilation of Daphne du Maurier short stories. I enjoyed this collection almost as much as Don't Look Now: while they aren't all up to exactly the same standard, each story is intriguing, unsettling and atmospheric, and many of them have an incredible twist which either slowly unfolds throughout the narrative or is suddenly revealed at the very end - sometimes both.

Monte Verità
Told in first person b
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
Ah how I love du Maurier! Her mind must have been a weird and wonderful place, and I love the window her stories give into it. The stories in this collection are:
"The Birds" (pp. 7-43)
"Monte Verita" (pp. 44-113)
"The Apple Tree" (pp. 114-157)
"The Little Photographer" (pp. 158-201)
"Kiss Me Again, Stranger" (pp. 202-226)
"The Old Man" (pp. 227-237)

I'll go through each of these separately, because they deserve it.

I have never seen Hitchcock's The Birds, but I've seen the famous beach scene and Big Tr
James
Oct 22, 2015 James rated it really liked it
The Birds is clearly the strongest story in this re-issued collection of six of Daphne du Maurier's short stories and is rightly the titular one. The inspiration for Hitchcock's classic film of the same name, I was surprised to see how much liberty Hitch had taken with the story. Instead of a couple in sunny Bodega Bay, California, the story is a claustrophobic tale of a farming family in Cornwall when suddenly the birds turn vicious. The story feels very close and dark; the shorter cycles of li ...more
Sketchbook
Jan 21, 2013 Sketchbook rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Film critic David Thomson observes in an intro that Hitchcock only used DdMs basic idea for "The Birds." He's often a dandy writer, but his remarks here pivot on the obvious. Hitch, who had his scripter concoct a romantic story about love birds and a jealous Mum-bird, opted for a Freudian disaster. DdM, it has been suggested, was thinking of Cold War politics as a farmer and his family expect to be pecked to death in Cornwall. It's a horrific tale of Judgment Day.

A writer of best-selling novels,
Andrea ❤Ninja Bunneh❤
When I saw The Birds: and Other Stories on NG, I knew I had to snatch it. The opportunity to read such an epic classic that inspired one of my favorite Hitchcock movies?

It's always so difficult to rate and review an anthology. While I thoroughly enjoyed the writing, some of the stories didn't hold my interest. The Birds didn't disappoint, but others fell short.

All in all, a worthwhile read. Just remember, watch out for the birds.

3 Ninja Bunnehs

(Arc received in exchange for an honest review)
Diana
Oct 27, 2015 Diana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favoritos
En los primeros relatos de Daphne du Maurier se puede observar cómo la Naturaleza intenta vengarse de la Humanidad, y en los últimos relatos se percibe la crueldad de los corazones humanos, resultando una colección de historias muy especiales. A mí, personalmente, me han emocionado muchísimo, tanto que acabé con el corazón roto. Todas las historias tienen algo en común, pero son muy diferentes entre sí, aportándole al conjunto un halo enigmático. Eso es algo que admiré mucho, pues por ejemplo, e ...more
Angel Erin

My overall rating for The Birds & Other Stories is 4 stars, but since it is a collection of stories I decided to also rate the stories individually.

The Birds
5 Stars

I LOVED this one. I grew up watching the Alfred Hitchcock movie for The Birds, but I never knew it was a story first until a few years ago. Since then I've been meaning to read it and I finally got around to it! As much as I loved it I can't say it's better than the movie. I really enjoyed
Nikki
If only everyone had half Daphne du Maurier's flair with narrators, I wouldn't be wary of first person narratives at all. I love the way she writes: it feels dated, of course, but that just seems part of the flavour of her stories for me. And her skill with twists -- I don't know why her short stories aren't used more in creative writing classes, because they really demonstrate the power of the sting in the tail of a story.

Anyway, I'm not sure which was my favourite story from this book. All of
Simon
Oct 16, 2012 Simon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories, horror
It never really occurred to me that Daphne du Maurier would have written anything of particular interest to me but then I heard about this collection of "chilling" stories, I thought I should give it a go. And I'm very glad I did.

It is a long time since I saw Hitchcock's "The Birds" but, judging by the introduction, that's probably just as well. Anyhow, I really enjoyed this story, it had a great apocalyptic feel to it and a sense of hopelessness and despair for humanity, despite the father's de
Maryse
Apr 13, 2007 Maryse rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There's a chilling quality to the tranquility of Daphne du Maurier's words, and this is clearly evident in short stories "The Birds". Hitchcock based his horror "The Birds" on du Maurier's short story, although the short story is set in the English coast. It starts innocently enough, with a flock of birds suddenly flocking to the ocean. There is no explanation given as to why these birds suddenly behave that way, only that they do. In a way that adds to the heavy chilling silence that brings abo ...more
Diane S ☔
Mar 28, 2014 Diane S ☔ rated it liked it
I read the main story in this book many, many years ago but as soon as I started reading, The Birds, I realized how well I remembered this. She is such a fantastic story writer. I also loved "Apple Tree, though sad and Loved "The Old man, whose ending blowed me away.

Copy from NetGalley.
Deborah Sheldon
Feb 17, 2016 Deborah Sheldon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great collection of unsettling, atmospheric and creepy stories, each told in an unhurried and languid manner. However, the stories hold your attention despite their slow pace; du Maurier's character studies and descriptions of the natural world are simply captivating.
Louise
Apr 03, 2014 Louise rated it liked it
I only read The Birds from this short story collection. It was very different than the Hitchcock movie, but almost better because there was no romantic undertones. Very creepy and moody, exactly what I expected of DdM's writing.
Leanne (Booksandbabble)
Another great work by the redoubtable Du Maurier :D
Nicola Mansfield
Apr 15, 2014 Nicola Mansfield rated it really liked it
This is my very first Daphne Du Maurier read and it will not be the last. The stories varied in quality but I enjoyed them all to some degree. The writing was superb, whether I liked the story or not. Can't wait to read her most famous works.

1. The Birds - This is one of my favourite Hitchcock movies and the story is so different from the movie that it is hard to not compare it to the movie. I can see how Hitchcock used the atmosphere of the story and pulled a couple of scenes from it. I think I
Arun Divakar
Apr 17, 2014 Arun Divakar rated it liked it
These are the five six stories in this book (in my first review, I forgot a brilliant little tale !) :

1. Birds : The inspiration for the famous Alfred Hitchcock movie but entirely different in terms of the story. It tells us of a small family's struggle against the vicious birds on a day-by-day basis. What is frigthening about the tale is that there is no end in sight. The family is gritty and determined to see it through the crisis but the tale ends on a bleak note. The most atmospheric of all
G.R.
Dame Daphne du Maurier (1907~1989), granddaughter of the artist and writer George du Maurier, and daughter of Gerald du Maurier, the most famous actor-manager of his day, began writing short stories in her early twenties. Her first novel, The Loving Spirit, was published in 1931. She is best known, and best loved, for her three novels Jamaica Inn (which immortalised an actual inn on Cornwall's Bodmin Moor), Frenchman's Creek and Rebecca. Daphne du Maurier was a very private person, but you can w ...more
Jose Moch
Jun 02, 2013 Jose Moch rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My favorite stories were "Kiss me again stranger" and "The Little Photographer". The first story was almost served for me as I realized a similar situation that I was going through and prevented me from getting ensnared by a woman with similar characteristics. In the second one I empathized totally with the two characters; I felt both,victim and victimizer. (I knock on wood, that I learned the lessons).
The other stories that I liked a lot were "No Motive" and "Monte Veritá". Although the stories
Erin
Mar 07, 2014 Erin rated it really liked it
ARC for review.

I vividly remember reading Rebecca for the first time and I loved it so much that I'm surprised I never sought out anything else by duMaurier. This six story collection reinforces that feeling as most of the stories are the type of dark fiction that I really enjoy, very reminiscent of Shirley Jackson.

Don't come to "The Birds" expecting the story of the movie (the foreward to the book discusses the relationship between the movie and the book) but it's wonderfully atmospheric, as a
Cindy
A creepy Halloween read for October.

Gothic horror, how I love thee, and Ms. du Maurier is your ultimate practitioner!

1 novella broken into two (Monte Verita & Victor), and 5 short stories: The Birds (yes, the one turned into the Hitchcock movie), The Apple Tree, The Little Photographer, Kiss Me Again Stranger, and The Old Man.

The first 3 (novella, The Birds and The Apple Tree) were 5-star reads, the others were 3 or 4 stars, but still fun.

I love the subtle creepiness that slowly builds.
Barbara
Oct 25, 2011 Barbara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Although I had previously read several stories in this book, my Japanese ESL student and I have agreed to read it as our next project. She is extremely enthusiastic about it, in part because she remembers Alfred Hitchcock's film, The Birds. I always look forward to reading DuMaurier!
  • Sugar and Other Stories
  • Marnie
  • Late Victorian Gothic Tales
  • Madam Crowl's Ghost & Other Stories
2001717
If Daphne du Maurier had written only Rebecca, she would still be one of the great shapers of popular culture and the modern imagination. Few writers have created more magical and mysterious places than Jamaica Inn and Manderley, buildings invested with a rich character that gives them a memorable life of their own.

In many ways the life of Daphne du Maurier resembles a fairy tale. Born into a fami
More about Daphne du Maurier...

“...as the slow sea sucked at the shore and then withdrew, leaving the strip of seaweed bare and the shingle churned, the sea birds raced and ran upon the beaches. Then that same impulse to flight seized upon them too. Crying, whistling, calling, they skimmed the placid sea and left the shore. Make haste, make speed, hurry and begone; yet where, and to what purpose? The restless urge of autumn, unsatisfying, sad, had put a spell upon them and they must flock, and wheel, and cry; they must spill themselves of motion before winter came.” 23 likes
“When she smiled it was as though she embraced the world.” 22 likes