Start by marking “The Pitcher's Mom” as Want to Read:
The Pitcher's Mom

The Pitcher's Mom

Published March 11th 2012 by Stewart Press

To ask other readers questions about The Pitcher's Mom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pitcher's Mom

Karen
Oct 20, 2012 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
You don't need to have an understanding of baseball, be a single parent, or have kids to enjoy this book. It has small quick chapters which made it a very quick read. Brought me back to my early days of playing softball with all the practice time, and wanting to be the best I could be. I didn't think about it from my Mom's point on view and this book helped me see a little of what my Mom would have gone through. As a Mom, I have sat on the bench through a little league game watching some kids ...more
Kathleen
It took me about half the book to really "get in" to it. Once I did, though, I couldn't put it down. Didn't particularly care for the ending.
Karna Converse
A sweet read that rings true and is laugh-out-loud funny at times. Any mom who's spent time on the bleachers will identify with this book's characters, setting and the dreams that go hand-and-hand with the baseball diamond and the boys of summer.

Jill, a single mom, first learns of her son’s interest in baseball at his Kindergarten graduation. Jill hoped he’d announce intentions of growing up to be a poet or playwright, but instead, Gus proclaims he’ll be a professional baseball player. Davis’ st
Connie Davis Johnson
The beginning of the book was wonderful. Being a mom of a baseball player, I could relate to all of the descriptions harsh dads, competitive moms, supportive parents, umps who miss calls, coaches who encourage and teach, coaches who are out to make a name for themselves, etc. It was funny to read about the single mom who didn't know much about baseball.

Later when learning she dated a guy who would go on to play triple A ball, it became less believable that she would know so little about the game
Jayne Gordon
Sep 04, 2012 Jayne Gordon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book kept my interest throughout, and the short little chapters seemed to make for a very fast read. As the single mom of a former pitcher/shortstop, in the neighborhood next to where the author currently lives (and having watched many a game at the same Little League field where Jill watched many a game), this story could have been my own. Although, I learned a lot more about baseball over the years than Jill did! This was a delightful book that I would highly recommend to any baseball ...more
Joyce
Nov 14, 2012 Joyce rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

This is a book of thirds. The first part was interesting. How a mother copes with her son wanting to be a pitcher at a young age and how she copes with it. The middle got a bit boring, but you still wanted to struggle through. At one point I wasn't sure which pitchers mom was the title character. So I let them both be. The last third you wanted to keep going to see if he really made it. The sacrifices parents go through for their kids to pursue their dreams and ambitions. The ending was a bit o
Jodie Hill
Jun 17, 2012 Jodie Hill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-books
I really enjoyed this book. The topic, a single Mom struggling to support her only son who only wants to play baseball just tugged at me. I could really empathize with Jill as she was trying to learn the ins and outs of Little League (my own sons just started this year) and it was a fascinating read as Jill and Gus grew up and went through all the trials and tribulations of baseball. The characters were likable and real, and I was disappointed for it to end. I'm disappointed that there were ...more
Nicola

While this book was about a budding baseball star, much of it can be applied to any sport. At least, the parts focussing on the struggles to succeed, the practice and the toll it takes on families and the mixed emotions of a parent who wants to push their child to success while atbthe same time shielding them from failure and rejection.
The story was disjointed at times, seemingly supporting Jill's mixed emotions about how to raise her child properly.
Sally Beaudean
Jul 11, 2013 Sally Beaudean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Pitcher's Mom is really a great book, especially for any mom who has spent summers at the ball park watching her son play. I thought the author did a great job developing the characters and she also wrote some beautiful descriptions. I might have been happier to have the story truly "end" but it's also nice to realize that the "end" in this case, whatever the outcome, would "justify the means." It's a fun, quick read!
Donna Peake
Jun 18, 2012 Donna Peake rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-books-read
I'm always a sucker for a good baseball book. This rings so true to things that are said by Mom's and others at games. I guess if you want your child's dream to come true ( as long as it's not really your dream) you do have to move around to find the so called best team to be on.

I love baseball just for the game. I sure miss my son and husband playing, it was like belonging to another family. Of course their games were for mere fun and not moving up to the big show.
TKieninger
Jun 28, 2012 TKieninger rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! The writer has a gifted ability to describe things with such detail and wonder. Though the character development was less than I would have liked, they were still engaging. As a mom to a new baseball player who has little interest in reading, I saw so many parallels between my son & Gus as well as between the mom & myself, especially during the early chapters. Great read for a baseball mom!
Sharon Storm
What a disappointment. Only got to page 98 (the page total was 339), but I couldn't stand it any more. The writer used way too many metaphors and too much flowery prose. Perhaps some serious editing may have helped. The story itself had promise, which is the only reason it's getting two stars. Glad it was a free download.
Mari
Jul 10, 2012 Mari rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this book and would have rated it higher if not for the fact that this author used some foul language that was completely unnecessary and foul. It also threw me because she is being billed as a Christian writer so it seemed way out of character. Aside from that, this is a very fun story; especially for ball players and their mothers.
Allyson
Mostly this was fun to read from the bleachers while my son warmed up before playoff games. He pitched this season too and there were definite relatable moments. But Jill is extreme and the plot is a bit saccharine. At least the author didn't write all wins.
Thomas
May 01, 2012 Thomas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 02-kindle, 2012
Being a parent of 3 baseball players, and knowing the aspirations of one to play farther into life, this book really hit home for me. I loved it. All the things Gus goes through are things I have seen or have gone through. Well worth the read for any parent with a baseball player in the family.
Andrea Vermeulen
It was free on Pixel of Ink. Not exactly what I was expecting and it was a little depressing. All of the characters were a bit pathetic. I didn't really see the religious club coming until it was too late. As a pitcher's mom, I did recognize some of the emotional and the situations portrayed.
Linda S
Jul 07, 2012 Linda S rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having been a fan of baseball...starting with Little League through high school, I could relate to much of the angst. I enjoyed the POV of this book. Enjoyable ,light summer reading.
Terry
Jun 14, 2012 Terry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is so much more than baseball. It is about our hopes, dreams and disappointments. It brought back many memories of little league baseball - the good and the bad.
Ashley
Oct 09, 2012 Ashley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I surprisingly REALLY enjoyed this book. It's not at all what I expected but it was a good story, and a fun read.
Peggy
Apr 29, 2012 Peggy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-kindle
I really enjoyed this. The style was somewhat choppy but that also helped keep it from being too formulaic - which, at the beginning, was what I expected.
Alicia
Jun 29, 2012 Alicia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I adored watching Jill watch her son grow into a man. I am living that experience everyday myself watching my sons. What a beautiful book.
Mary Seely
Jun 13, 2012 Mary Seely rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is another free Kindle book. A single mom does everything possible to help her son become a great baseball player.
Staci
Staci rated it liked it
May 19, 2013
Jennifer Arnold
Jennifer Arnold rated it it was amazing
Dec 29, 2014
Christina Bryant
Christina Bryant rated it it was ok
May 12, 2014
Sara Mayes
Sara Mayes rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2013
Kate Younger
Kate Younger rated it liked it
Jun 15, 2013
Julie
Julie rated it liked it
Jul 28, 2012
Sara
Sara rated it really liked it
May 30, 2013
Heather Rintelman
Heather Rintelman rated it liked it
Dec 24, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Muffin Man
  • The Winter Barbeque
  • South Beach Cinderella
  • Blame It On The Mistletoe (Bright's Pond #4)
  • The Everything Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis Book: A Portrait of an American Icon
  • Faded Lives
  • Reaching for the Stars
  • Lucky at Love: Some Guys Just Never Give Up...
  • 4 Gigs of Trouble
  • A Christmas Jar for Santa - A Christmas Jars Story
  • A Pitch for Justice
  • Going For Broke
  • River in the Sea
Heather Choate Davis began her writing career as an advertising copywriter. Over the past 30 years, she’s written screenplays, teleplays, one-acts, liturgies, and books—including her memoir, Baptism by Fire, the semi-sequel, Elijah & the SAT, and the novel The Pitcher's Mom. She’s also taught creative writing and Junior Great Books, created an original, arts-based vespers called The ...more
More about Heather Choate Davis...