Start by marking “The Good Earth Trilogy: The Good Earth, Sons, and A House Divided” as Want to Read:
The Good Earth Trilogy: The Good Earth, Sons, and A House Divided

The Good Earth Trilogy: The Good Earth, Sons, and A House Divided (House of Earth #1-3)

The first one-volume collection of the author's Nobel and Pulitzer Prize-winning tales follows one Chinese family's struggle to survive during a century of rapid and radical change. Contains The Good Earth, Sons and A House Divided.
Published May 21st 2013 by Open Road Media (first published January 1st 1935)

Nabila Tabassum Chowdhury
দীরঘ দুইমাস ধরে এই বইটি পড়েছি। কাল রাতে ঘুমাবার সময় যখন আর এই বইটি পড়ছিলাম না, তখন বইটির জনয মন খারাপ হচছিল। তখন মনে হল আলাদা ভাবে সিরিজটির বযাপারে কিছু লেখা দরকার। বইটা আসলে তিনটা করোনোলজিকাল উপনযাসের সংকলন। তিনটা উপনযাসের বযাপারে লমবা লমবা অনেক কথা-বারতা লেখি ফেলেছি।
The Good Earth (House of Earth, #1) , Sons (House of Earth, #2) , A House Divided (House of Earth, #3)
একটা হল এডুকেশন। যেটা একই সাথে নিজের জগৎটাকে বড় করে দেয়, কিনতু বাড়তে থাকে অপরাপতি। আছে জেনারেশন গযাপ। নিজেরা একই বয়সটা পার করে
Libby
Jun 02, 2016 Libby rated it really liked it
Enjoyed the first in the trilogy - setting aside for now!
Sara Murphy
Jun 26, 2014 Sara Murphy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This trilogy was thrilling from beginning to end. The first book, The Good Earth was by far my favorite as it documents a man and then a family's struggle though famine and poverty into prosperity. The main character, Wang Lung is relatable and realistic. Buck's writing style reminded me of Hemingway as it was straightforward but I found it to have a nuance and elegance all its own. She maintains this style throughout the trilogy. The second installment explores the aftermath of Wang Lung's deat ...more
Alejandro Canton-Dutari
The Good Earth Trilogy by Pearl S. Buck
Reviewed by Alex Canton-Dutari
I read The Good Earth during my early college days, and I was captivated by the prose, which was full of words not common among my peers. Nevertheless, nowadays -- fifty years later -- I could not recall any specifics, which drove me to read the trilogy recently. And I discovered that I was attracted to the literary poetry found in The Good Earth. The Sons and A House Divided were less poetic, but the descriptions, especially o
Betsey
Feb 24, 2016 Betsey rated it really liked it
Shelves: classics
I thoroughly enjoyed reading the whole trilogy. Each book followed a new generation of the Wang family, highlighting shifting traditions and historical changes in Chinese culture. In each book the protagonist is wonderfully complex, making the reader groan with disapproval sometimes and sigh with appreciation at other times.

I listened to the audio version of these books, which I will admit, made it easier to get through the continual rumination of the central characters. And the language in whi
Frank
Jan 27, 2015 Frank rated it it was amazing
ONCE, TWOCE, THREE TIMES

I've read the hard copy of this book (The Good Earth) a few years ago and after joining Kindle Unlimited I decided to read it again, this time as a trilogy. I loved the classic book in high school, and after reading the expanded family saga on Kindle, the struggle from simple farmer to rich landlord and from successful warlord to scholar over three generations, I love the story even more. If you haven't read the The Good Earth yet you should. If you have, consider re-read
Marsha Manuel
Jun 10, 2012 Marsha Manuel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1980s
I rarely own books, preferring to use the library or borrow, so when I do, it means it's exceptional and means something special to me. I had to search to buy this out of print trilogy......twice! I loaned the first one out & never got it back. Most of us had Buck's "The Good Earth" as required reading, but I wonder if many are aware that it is part one of a trilogy followed by "Sons", then " A House Divided".....chronicling the rise and fall of a family in three generations. Lessons to be o ...more
Christina
Apr 16, 2016 Christina rated it really liked it
Love the first book! Read it in high school. Did not realize it was part of a trilogy. So when my book group chose to rad this book I decided to finish out the trilogy. Book one is five stars!!! Books two and three, while interesting, just we're not as engaging as the first book. Hence, the four stars overall.
Tanya
Dec 25, 2013 Tanya rated it really liked it
The Good Earth is a classic and I enjoyed it just as much as I did in high school. Sons was okay but the House Divided was extremely boring. I could not finish it.
Coco Suave
May 01, 2016 Coco Suave rated it it was amazing
I loved these 3 (kinda long) book (novels?). Asian novels are something I love. That's what drew me to these books (despite the fact the authors was an American living in China) I love the sparse landscape of Buckman's books about the great Chinese families and life in China in the early 1900's. Simple and elegantly written, the rich narrative weaves the reader into the story as if we are part of the family itself. What interests me is the history happening in the novel and how times have change ...more
Jeanne M. Smith
Aug 23, 2014 Jeanne M. Smith rated it it was amazing
A classic for generations

A classic for generations

I reread "The Good Earth" in high school and revisited it with great enthusiasm. I had never read the sequels. They add a depth to the stories that should not be missed.
I am not going to summarize the books pass some reviews do. Instead I urge readers who are searching for a well-written tale of China as it emerges into a modern world to immerse themselves in Buck's books. They are truly good literature.
Matthew Hoelscher
Oct 15, 2015 Matthew Hoelscher rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing. My wife started it and begged me to read it so we could discuss it. We both finished all three and she is read more from Pearl Buck.

East of Eden from Steinbeck is very similar in tracing the lives of multiple generations and how the values of one generation are never passed on cleanly. The mutate and change on their own and due to changes in the society in which we live.

These books feel so Authentic, innocent, simple and are pack full of wisdom.
Mauri Stiff
Jun 14, 2014 Mauri Stiff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Like Alex Haley's "roots" this book is a delightful depiction of China and several generations. Thoroughly enjoyed the characters and their sometimes pathetic dance above poverty. Appreciated the accounts of those entitled vs those who dreamt and worked to achieve.

Equally in awe and respect for the author who was never allowed to return to her home land because she wrote this book. A high price to pay for the awareness of the country poor.
Sally Ladyman
A Much Loved Tale

I read this Trilogy of The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck as a child. I found that I had forgotten most of it and enjoyed it again. This is a must read for anyone who has never read her books. The story is rich and full of the color and beauty of the time.
Katherine Eanes
Sep 26, 2016 Katherine Eanes rated it it was ok
I'm sure there's a compelling reason to read stories like this, they do at least have historical value for documenting what life was like in China at a certain time period, but I, for one, did not enjoy them. Yuck. I mean really yuck. What a huge downer!
Ella
Sep 01, 2016 Ella rated it really liked it
It was a simple story with powerful morals. It captured China's culture perfectly, and had interesting, well made characters. However, it can be so simple at times that it's boring... So if you choose to read this book, keep that in mind.
Roya
Sep 04, 2015 Roya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a timeless masterpiece (although maybe a little slow in areas). I read it the first time in my late teens/early 20s and the book made a deep impression on me with respect to the Chinese Culture and the role of women. Thirty years later (gulp), I am reading again as an ex-patriate in China and I see so much more in the book with respect to cultural identity, displacement, ethnicity, racism, and a host of other issues.
Barb Goldstein
May 17, 2015 Barb Goldstein rated it it was amazing
A great read. Hard to put down.

This story grips you at the start. Would recommend reading the entire trilogy from start to finish. I was sad to finish. Definitely Pearl S Buck at her best.
Danette
Sep 25, 2016 Danette rated it really liked it
Good read. Interesting illustration of how a family goes from poverty to wealth and can cycle back to poverty again because of complacency.
Pricilia Huerta
Nov 07, 2014 Pricilia Huerta rated it it was amazing
A true classic

This book has always been a favorite of mine. I'm glad I chose to get the trilogy. A good read!
Melody
May 04, 2016 Melody added it
I loved reading these three books. You get so much insight about life in China.
Lucyfang
Sep 15, 2016 Lucyfang rated it it was amazing
It gives you an insider's look at China from 1900s to 1970s.
Leona Livingston
Meghan
Jul 20, 2015 Meghan rated it it was amazing
sure you read the good earth in school, but read it again and read the entire triology. the cycle of life, nature, family and people. an enjoyable, though provoking journey has been well crafted among these pages. going on the list to read again!
Laurie
Feb 27, 2016 Laurie rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing!
Ana
Dec 24, 2015 Ana rated it really liked it
It's very hard for me to review and rate a trilogy all at once, especially one where each book covers a different generation and is so distinct from the others. Overall, Buck's style is straightforward and easy to read but still beautiful and full of nuance. I keep being surprised at how drawn I was to a story so foreign to me and so unlike the typical books I read.
I think The Good Earth was my favorite, followed by Sons and lastly A House Divided. In retrospect I should have reviewed each book
Pat
Jun 27, 2016 Pat rated it liked it
Shelves: have-read
glad to have read again ... I can't criticize Pearl Buck .. injoyed it more a very long time ago
Maud Muller
Aug 29, 2013 Maud Muller rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this trilogy written by Pearl Buck many years ago. The first novel, The Good Earth, was made into a movie decades ago. Buck served as a missionary in China and her knowledge of the country's history and culture makes these books excellent reads for anyone seeking to understand Chinese culture pre and post revolution.
Debra
Oct 12, 2013 Debra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can mark this off my "to read" bucket list--I loved The Good Earth, but was not as impressed with Sons and A House Divided, though I was totally sucked into seeing how the individuals from the first novel fared as time moved on, and to experience the evolution of the revolution that took place.
Tracy Jenkins
Apr 13, 2015 Tracy Jenkins rated it liked it
A good read

The first book The Good Earth was my favorite book it was a good read. I really liked getting to know the characters in the first book in their struggles and the successes
  • Pearl S. Buck: A Cultural Biography
  • Box Set: The Arrington Trilogy
  • Melissa
  • Marjorie's Three Gifts
  • Cat Crimes 1
  • Maigret e i vecchi signori
  • A Time to Kill / The King of Torts
  • The Norton Anthology of World Literature, Volume F: The Twentieth Century
  • A Cab Called Reliable
Pearl Sydenstricker Buck was a bestselling and Nobel Prize–winning author. Her classic novel The Good Earth (1931) was awarded a Pulitzer Prize and William Dean Howells Medal. Born in Hillsboro, West Virginia, Buck was the daughter of missionaries and spent much of the first half of her life in China, where many of her books are set. In 1934, civil unrest in China forced Buck back to the United St ...more
More about Pearl S. Buck...

House of Earth (3 books)
  • The Good Earth (House of Earth, #1)
  • Sons (House of Earth, #2)
  • A House Divided (House of Earth, #3)

“It is not well for a man to know more than is necessary for his daily living.” 2 likes
“thing and it could be sold for a heap of silver and sometimes” 0 likes