Start by marking “The Juggling Act: Bringing Balance to Your Faith, Family, and Work” as Want to Read:
The Juggling Act: Bringing Balance to Your Faith, Family, and Work

The Juggling Act: Bringing Balance to Your Faith, Family, and Work

Somewhere along the way, 9-to-5 morphed into 24/7. Demanding schedules and technology have been able to crowd out what matters most: family, friends, and even faith.

Pat Gelsinger understands this challenge. As a prominent executive in Silicon Valley, Pat worked hard to juggle a thriving career and his family. Pat's pursuit of balance led him to dynamic, time-tested wisdom

Published January 1st 2010 by David C. Cook (first published June 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Juggling Act, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Juggling Act

Todd Mckeever
Jan 26, 2016 Todd Mckeever rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the book, and in large part because it is written from a Type A person perspective. I do think that if you are a type A person your enjoyment of this book will be higher because you will understand the reason why behind more. Good book though regardless of your type.
Marc Jarchow
Sep 06, 2013 Marc Jarchow rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great book from a secular author who is in a work situation that few of us will ever reach, VP of Intel, and that makes his Christian conviction all the more special. The systems that he has put in place over the years, like mentoring relationships, Quiet times, a measure of how consistently he is able to come home from work on time and many others, make him a dthoughtful writer and his book is well worth reading for the excellent advice that he gives.
There were a few things that did not sit w
Sori
Jun 18, 2014 Sori rated it really liked it
Shelves: manhood, career, english
(Opinión publicada también en Amazon.es)

Es un libro estupendo.

Los logros de Gelsinger son increíbles: de hijo de granjero a CTO/Vicepresidente de Intel, y ahora CEO de VMWare, a base de trabajo duro, organización, y genio. Este hecho hace que uno tenga un profundo respeto hacia él, y más aún el saber que ha defendido la fe durante su larga y exitosa carrera, lo que a su vez desencadena que uno escuche muy atentamente todos los consejos que da.

Lo cual me lleva a decir que es un libro muy útil si
Maan
Aug 12, 2013 Maan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book #45 for 2012: This book was in the reading list / syllabus of our Ethics class. While the reason why I picked up this book was just for compliance with class requirements, I feel so blessed that I came across it and read it.

At first, I thought that the author, the Chief Technology Officer of Intel nonetheless, was just showing off. He seems to have everything: a great relationship with God, an amazing family life, a flourishing career. An overachiever in our midst. At first, I thought that
John
Mar 30, 2016 John rated it liked it
I would offer very different reviews of this book depending on who was asking. For driven and successful businessmen, I might even suggest that Gelsinger's book is a must read. An incredibly intelligent and successful businessman, Gelsinger is likely to have a strong connection with and credibility with Christian businessmen. In addition, he covers a lot of territory in a short amount of time, and for someone wanting some basics on everything from developing a personal mission statement (perhaps ...more
Katy
Aug 04, 2013 Katy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I appreciate the fact that Gelsinger is writing this from his personal perspective and life experiences. He has some food advise that I think anyone can apply to their life. like find a mentor. Listen to and learn from people around you. Be confident in who you are, but be humble enough to realize you don't everything. If you are a person of faith, make your faith a priority.
That said, he's a TYPE A in a huge way and an engineer to boot so all of his organizational advise is from this perspecti
Noah W
Sep 07, 2013 Noah W rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
This book was written by Pat Gelsinger, the CTO of Intel. I really enjoyed reading about how this task-oriented man was able balance his priorities and bring his life under control.

Gelsinger does an excellent job in relating his personal journey from technician to CTO. He is able to provide some very good practical advice about maintaining good family relationships, working hard, and expressing one's faith in the marketplace.

This is a critical book to put on your self-education list.
Maria Miaoulis
Apr 11, 2014 Maria Miaoulis rated it it was ok
With a title like this, I'm looking for straightforward advice and other tips for achieving balance in my life, not to hear about the author's life. However, that's where most of the focus is, with a few general suggestions scattered here and there. You could argue that the author is trying to demonstrate important points through his life experiences, but it feels more like someone you know wanting to talk about their life.
Grace
Feb 07, 2016 Grace rated it liked it
The biographical parts of Mr. Gelsinger's life in this book were captivating. I loved seeing how a life is lived when God is at the center, especially when that life is among those in the silicon valley. How wonderful to see one so vocal about his faith. But the juggling act that he juggles as a major leader in a huge company did not nearly touch my reality, but that is okay. I know he speaks to many others. I admire how his family unabashedly loves God, the church and missions.
Joshua
Feb 10, 2015 Joshua rated it it was amazing
I'm glad I took this book slow; this allowed me to really process and find specific applications to my work and family life. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who is struggling, or just wants to improve, his balance of career and family. Some good practical suggestions and exercises are provided. I will definitely be referring back to this book in the future.
Wayne Presnell
Mar 08, 2016 Wayne Presnell rated it liked it
I enjoyed the book. I liked hearing his story. I'm not sure how much it helped me personally with juggling as my life is very different than his. all in all I liked his humor and would recommend the book.
Franklin Wood
So-so book on balancing your life. Couldn't really identify with the author as he is Type A and apparently a genius.
Just wondering what balance looks like for those of us who aren't CEOs.
I DID appreciate his commentary on the Christian life, though.
Jordan White
Dec 31, 2013 Jordan White rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great insights from the VP of Intel. He has some very thought provoking concepts as to how to better balance your life in general, and be the same person no matter where you are or what you are doing. I definitely recommend it.
Jonathan
Dec 01, 2014 Jonathan rated it it was ok
Expected a book with practical ways to balance multiple responsibilities but found too much autobiography.
Dylan Jones
Jun 14, 2014 Dylan Jones rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A solid book, easy to read and easy to implement. I really enjoyed his perspective on family and work and would recommended to anyone who is struggling with balancing family, work and faith.
Toby
Jun 17, 2013 Toby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I actually enjoyed reading this book and found the advice to be practical and down to earth. And I really believe him... I work for him!
Paula
Paula rated it it was amazing
Feb 02, 2015
Karen Vanessa
Karen Vanessa rated it really liked it
Jun 24, 2015
Eric Cook
Eric Cook rated it really liked it
Apr 14, 2016
Ciara T
Ciara T rated it it was amazing
Dec 25, 2014
sirinsy guadarrama
sirinsy guadarrama rated it liked it
May 28, 2016
Grant
Grant rated it it was amazing
Feb 18, 2016
Angela
Angela rated it liked it
Sep 23, 2013
Clinton Curtis
Clinton Curtis rated it it was ok
Jun 15, 2015
Gordon Mckinlay
Gordon Mckinlay rated it liked it
Apr 03, 2016
Andy
Andy rated it really liked it
Oct 29, 2016
Nathan Matthews
Nathan Matthews rated it liked it
Oct 15, 2014
Julmicbud
Julmicbud rated it liked it
Apr 22, 2016
Sidda
Sidda rated it it was amazing
May 09, 2015
Matt Cannon
Matt Cannon rated it really liked it
Dec 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Church Zero: Raising 1st Century Churches out of the Ashes of the 21st Century Church
  • Hell Is Real (But I Hate to Admit It)
  • It's Your Call: What Are You Doing Here?
  • The Meeting of the Waters: 7 Global Currents That Will Propel the Future Church
  • Be Committed (Ruth & Esther): Doing God's Will Whatever the Cost (The BE Series Commentary)
  • Do You See What I See?: Exploring the Christmas of Every Day
  • Seeing through the Fog: Hope When Your World Falls Apart
  • Better: How Jesus Satisfies the Search for Meaning
  • Sifted: God's Scandalous Response to Satan's Outrageous Demand
  • Lucky: How the Kingdom Comes to Unlikely People
  • Charis: God's Scandalous Grace for Us
  • Battle Ready: Prepare to Be Used by God (Bold Man Of God, #1)
  • That's a Great Question: What to Say When Your Faith Is Questioned
  • The Power of Suffering: Strengthening Your Faith in the Refiner's Fire (Macarthur Study Series)
  • CrossTalk: Where Life & Scripture Meet
  • When God Breaks Your Heart: Choosing Hope in the Midst of Faith-Shattering Circumstances
  • Thrashing About with God: Finding Faith on the Other Side of Everything
  • Astonished: Recapturing the Wonder, Awe, and Mystery of Life with God

“I recommend you do a detailed time study for yourself to see where you spend your time. Make an estimate of how many hours each week you take for the major activities of your life: work, school, rest, entertainment, hobbies, spouse, children, commuting, church, God, friends, and so on. Then, over a typical period of your life, take two weeks and do a detailed time study. Keep track of how you spend your time, using fifteen- to thirty-minute increments. After you have gathered the raw data, categorize them carefully into the major groups: rest, work/school, church/God, family, and recreation. Create subcategories as appropriate for anything that might consume multiple hours per week, like listing commuting under work or TV under recreation. Finally, with the summary in hand, make the difficult assessments about how you are using your time. Ask yourself: • Any surprises? Areas where I just couldn’t imagine I was wasting—er, uh, um, spending—so much of my time? • Is this where I want my time to go? • Am I putting as much time as I’d like into the areas I want as the priorities in my life? • How much time am I really spending with my spouse? Children? Friends? • Did I realize how much time I was spending at work? • If I wanted to spend more time on XYZ or ABC, in what areas would I consciously choose to spend less time?” 0 likes
“As you will see, you are called to be a minister while in the workforce and living in the marketplace.” 0 likes