Start by marking “Trading Christmas” as Want to Read:
Trading Christmas

Trading Christmas

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  566 ratings  ·  71 reviews
Trading houses. Trading towns. Trading Christmas.

Emily Springer, widowed mother of one, decides to leave her hometown of Leavenworth, Washington, to spend Christmas with her daughter in Boston.

Charles Brewster, history professor, seasoned curmudgeon and resident of Boston, wants to avoid Christmas altogether.

Through an Internet site, they arrange to swap houses for the hol
Published October 15th 2013 by Harlequin Mira (first published October 25th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Trading Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trading Christmas

Patty
I wonder if Hallmark has turned this into a Christmas movie. Of course, it's that kind of story. Macomber doesn't do that bad a job of it, considering she churns out so many books each year. In this one she paints Boston, New York, and Leavenworth, WA as romantic holiday spots. On the other hand, she makes Florida seem like the last place you'd like to spend Christmas.
Mary
Debbie Macomber's Christmas books are always cute and heartwarming. Trading Christmas was no different. I enjoyed listening while I knitted a Christmas gift.
Cristina
Good book to unwind from the Christmas rush with. Trading Christmas was a delight to read. Emily is facing her Christmas alone after her daughter tells her that she isn't coming home on Christmas break. She calls her best friend for sympathy but doesn't get what she hoped for. So she decides she will go to her daughter in Boston. Charles wanted to escape Christmas in Boston. Actually he just wanted to escape Christmas all together. Emily and Charles trade homes for the holiday each hoping to cel ...more
Jonel Boyko (Pure Jonel)
This may possibly bet the funniest, most unique Christmas story that I’ve ever read. Macomber throws her cast of characters into some very unique situations that you can’t help but laugh at. She creates an inescapable world for her readers to revel in. Macomber’s descriptions and narrative are so vivid that you cannot help but picture everything. At the same time everything remains realistic and in the moment.

Macomber’s brilliant cast carries this story forward without a hitch. Getting to know
Joanne
'Trading Christmas' is a sweet seasonal romance. If you love Christmas and want a book to help get you into the spirit, then this book should do it.
Maggie Burgess
This review is for the "Trading Christmas" story, or first half of this book. It was entirely predictable and mindless, but it was the perfect story to get me into the Christmas spirit! I enjoyed it, and would recommend it to anyone looking for a light, easy, Christmas read. Of course it has been made into a Hallmark Channel movie- it's just that kind of story! So if you, like me, secretly love those "bad" movies, check this out :) (Oh, and I LOVED that it partly took place in Leavenworth, Washi ...more
Diane Mcclure
You get double your money with a double storyline in this fun Christmas romance. In a genre of light holiday romantic's tails I think this one is a little bit better than most so I gave it five stars. Agreed that it is fairly predictable for the three female protagonists, but aren't many of these stories recognizable because they are common tales? I particularly enjoyed the various roles of motherhood with the four different women in the story. I think this would be a fun movie. I can imagine it ...more
Doris
This audio book was a smooth easy read. Although there were parts when I was jarred out of the story, those places had more to do with the inconsistencies between the character ages and the plot / their emotions. Overall, a fun read, good for a long road trip.

There were several points in this story that I found interesting, including the little Christmas village atmosphere, but overall one of the things that grated a little on me harked back to the days of my childhood, when my grandmother (born
Cindy
This funny, heartwarming and romantic story from Debbie Macomber makes it a perfect holiday read. The story begins when Emily, a widow it told by her daughter (a student at Harvard) that she will not be coming home for Christmas. Emily decides to surprise her daughter by trading her house in Washington state for one in Boston, Mass. so they can be together at Christmas. She arrives in Boston only to discover that her daughter is about to embark on a motorcycle road trip to Florida with a new boy ...more
LeeWhedon
I would have given this book 5 stars because I really loved it! However, there wasn't much depth to it so 5 stars seemed to be pushing it a bit. But what a fun, easy Christmas read!
Emily Springer, widowed mother of one, decides to leave her home in Washington state, to spend Christmas with her daughter in Boston. However, when she gets there she finds out her daughter had other plans!
Charles Brewster, a history professor from Boston, wants to avoid Christmas altogether.
Through an internet site,
Barbara Tifft
Most of the time I prefer books with "meat." Sometimes, however, it feels good to read a story that provides a gentle escape. Predictable outcomes, unrealistic plot, and inconsistent characters are usually ingredients for a disastrous read, but Ms. Macomber wove a gentle story with content at least good enough to keep me engaged. A year from now I will probably have forgotten what the book was about, but it filled my craving for a sweet and simple distraction.
Emily Higgins
Emily Springer is disappointed that her daughter is not coming home for Christmas, so she decides to surprise her daughter by going to see her. That is just the first of many holiday surprises. A short, cute novel.

The Forgetful Bride: second really short novel. She was the bratty sister. He was her brother's childhood friend. They meet again as grown-ups. She doesn't recognize him at first, but eventually she remembers him. Eventually, romance blossoms.
Okay, this book was SO different from the Hallmark movie (which is one of my favorite cheesy holiday romances!)!! It's almost like the producers were reading a different book. That being said, I think that was part of the reason I enjoyed reading it so much - I kept seeing the differences as I read and thinking, "Oh yeah, they definitely made that better" or "I can see why they made that change." I enjoyed the book, but I also enjoyed comparing it to its television counterpart (which is odd beca ...more
S
What a sweet read. Yes, we know when Debbie Macomber writes a book that we are going to get a solid, good read and this book met the mark. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it while on a trip. This was one of those stories where you knew what was going to happen, but it is the season to be joyful and this book kept you in that mood. Good job!
Nicki
The copy I had was actually three short stories about Xmas, one of them being Trading Christmas. I did not realise when I borrowed it from the library as it was just titled Trading Christmas, or I probably wouldn't have bothered. I really don't like short story collections.
As I had started and was quite enjoying it, decided to go on. This was nicely written, but very cliched and I hated the nauseating ending so much I decided not to bother with the other two stories in the book. I really hate t
Rachel
This was a quick read. I've never read Debbie Macomber before but I've seen a couple of movies made from her books and enjoyed them. In this case I definitely enjoyed the movie about a house trade more than this book (thinking of the movie The Holiday). The book was kind of choppy and I didn't enjoy Emily's daughter Heather's attitude. Seemed really out of character for how close her and her mom were supposed to be. And the turn-around in Charles' attitude seemed too sudden and forced. The relat ...more
Jen - ReadingwithPugs
This was one of her best Christmas stories. Full of family and Christmas cheer. I really loved the Christmas world building and the pictures painted by the author. There is some insta love but if you can look past that, you'll finish this book with a smile on your face.
Richie Mae Andrei Zuniga
Since its ber months I'm starting to read christmas themed books and this book I think is interesting for its main conflict and underlying conflict. If you want to read lightly and bring the christmas spirit within you I surely recommend this book:)
Ruth Ellen
I think I read both these stories at Christmas time. I re-read them today. I enjoyed them just as much as the first time. Since I was feeling down, they lifted me up. I laughed a little as some of the story lines.
Shawna Hansen
Quick & fun read for the holidays. Perfect with a cup of hot cocoa and some Christmas cookies. The descriptions of Boston are excellent! The descriptions of the food are also enticing. I enjoyed this one.
Rossana Snee
This book was just all right. Not enough friction. All too sweet. Some funny moments with Charles in the beginning, but it didn't really do anything for me after that.
Ruth Rumsey
I Love This Book It Was Realy Great About Christmas And Romantic To And I Will Read This Book Again And Again .
Joy
My favorite Debbie Macomber holiday story. Sweet. Unexpected. Laugh out loud funny at times. Thoroughly enjoyable.
Debbie
A fun holiday story! Quick read and great for this time of year!
Tara
As much as I liked this, I prefer the Hallmark movie to the book and that happens very rarely.
Summer
Sweet and funny book!! Can't wait to see the movie!
Joanna Lopez
Such a wonderful, fun story…one of her best!!!
Eileen
The Hallmark Channel of books.
Jaclyn
Though this was your predictable Christmas story. I loved it. It was a great story to ready before Christmas! I definitely want to read more of her books. It is nice to read a story where everything is cheerful and happy! :-)
No Obligation Boo...: Let's talk about our December book! 3 15 Nov 27, 2013 06:30AM
  • The Nine Lives of Christmas
  • The Christmas Witness
  • The Christmas Cookie Chronicles: Raylene
  • A Dixie Christmas
  • Merry Humbug Christmas: Two Tales of Holiday Romance
  • An October Bride (A Year of Weddings, #11)
  • Texas K-9 Unit Christmas: Holiday Hero\Rescuing Christmas
  • Hook, Line And Sinker: A Deep Haven Novella
  • Forever Christmas
  • The Cowboy's Christmas Courtship (Cooper Creek, #6)
  • The Holiday Bride (Holiday Brides #2)
  • The Christmas Pony
  • A Christmas for Katie: A Christmas Families of Honor Novella (Families of Honor #3.5)
  • Against the Odds
  • A Plain Disappearance (Appleseed Creek, #3)
  • The Arrangement
  • An Amish Second Christmas
  • Blame It on Chocolate

Macomber is the author of more than 100 novels, most recently the instant #
More about Debbie Macomber...
The Shop on Blossom Street (Blossom Street, #1 ) A Good Yarn (Blossom Street, #2) 204 Rosewood Lane (Cedar Cove, #2) Twenty Wishes (Blossom Street, #5) 16 Lighthouse Road (Cedar Cove, #1)