Start by marking “The Magic of Oz (Oz, #13)” as Want to Read:
The Magic of Oz (Oz, #13)
Read Book* *Different edition

The Magic of Oz (Oz #13)

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  3,778 ratings  ·  100 reviews
A young citizen of Oz who learns an important magic word falls prey to the wickedness of the Nomes' ex-king who wants to destroy Dorothy, the Wizard, and Princess Ozma.
Mass Market Paperback, 234 pages
Published January 12th 1981 by Del Rey (first published 1919)

To ask other readers questions about The Magic of Oz, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Magic of Oz

This is a good classic Oz story. There is some wandering around, an overarching (though ludicrously unimportant) goal (really? you wrote a whole book about looking for birthday presents for Ozma?), my favorite villain (Ruggedo all the way! although I really enjoy Kaliko's three trial rooms in Rinkitink), jungle animals, and a really really cool plant. Plus more of the Glass Cat! (Although, as I remembered, her pink brains are back; Baum seems to have [conveniently?] forgotten that he had the Wiz ...more
Ruggedo makes another appearance in this story, as do Cap'n Bill, Trot, and the Glass Cat. Young Kiki Aru is an interesting character--early in the book he says "I didn't know I was being wicked, but if I was, I'm glad of it. I hate good people. I've always wanted to be wicked, but I didn't know how." Yikes. He is eerily emotionally detatched from his role in Ruggedo's plans to take over Oz, though he agrees to them without much persuasion. He has great power with his knowledge of the unpronounc ...more
This book will be available pretty soon at Project Gutenberg.
While ferreting out the order of the books I happened upon the fact that this was one of the darker books of the Oz series, and I must agree. Now granted, darker is a bit subjective here, and it's not "King" or "Barker" dark, but for a children's book, it can get a somewhat grim. The story starts off with Kiki Aru stealing away some magical secrets put to rest by his family and using his new found transformation magic to run off and explore the world. He meets up with Rugedo the former gnome kin ...more
I was obsessed with all things Oz while I was growing up.
I wasn't allowed to watch the film for years, so in the meantime I wrote stories about what I thought Oz would be like.
Finally I watched the film at age seven, and then I also read the first book.
The book is very, very different from the film!
After reading the first book, I would scour the Borders shelves for more Oz books. I was fascinated by how many there were!
Usually fiction depressed me, because often there is only one story and it do
I like how the book had a coherent theme through all the chapters, but I wish it was better developed. The villains are kind of weak. They start with this great plan, only to blow it in a very short time. I enjoyed the adventure but it wasn`t that great. Next book will be the last. I wonder how Baum will try to achieve a great ending ...cause I seriously want one. ...more
Christine Blachford
The penultimate book in the original Baum series of magical Oz adventures and it's very similar to those that have gone before. Several of the characters from previous books, including Dorothy, head out on adventures to try and find Ozma a birthday present. What do you get for the girl who has everything and if she doesn't have everything she can just magic it into being?

What I did find with this story is that a lot of the rules and premises that have been revealed gradually throughout the previ
Julia Brumfield
The Kindle Oz books and I am sure some of the re-makes that are done without pictures are definitely doing these books injustice. The cute and whimsical pictures that adorn the Oz books can of course sometimes be found online but it just isn't the same at all when you have to read something then look it up online but to find the actual Oz originals without costing an arm and a leg is going to be close to impossible.

This was perhaps one of the rougher books for me to get into for every time I t
Elisabeth Hosmer
Book 13 of 15 in the Oz Series has the former King of the Nomes, Ruggedo, returning to wreak havoc on the people of Oz. Coming across a boy who holds the power to transform peoples' forms with a secret magic word, Ruggedo attaches himself to the child in the hopes of staging an uprising against the Ozian population. He reaches out to the beasts of the forest to attack Oz after feeding them a story that Ozma is planning to enslave the beasts. Meanwhile, the fairy ruler's birthday is approaching a ...more
Benjamin Thomas
The penultimate novel in the 14 book original Oz series ranks among my favorites. It's a nice return to the classic story form of the early Oz books and serves as a nice way to visit with old friends from the earlier stories. Two main plot lines weave together, one involving the return of Ruggedo, former Nome King, who tries to conquer Oz again with the help of a Munchkin boy, Kiki Aru, the only new character to be introduced in this volume. Meanwhile, it is also Princess Ozma's birthday, (the g ...more
Ugh. Baum is definitely back to his old tricks with this one. Another pointless story related to celebrating Ozma's birthday. If Baum had to pick one of his Oz books to reprise, why on earth did he pick The Road to Oz, which in my opinion is the worst one?! I rated this one slightly better because there was a little bit more of an actual story, and two major plotlines were woven together pretty well. However, I didn't like the expanded use of magic in this one - if they can pull out magic to get ...more
This is a darker entry? There is something bleak in our almost-protagonist's fate, but The Magic of Oz is mostly incidents without any consequence.

It's almost Ozma's birthday so everyone is scratching their heads what to give the beloved fairy princess who has everything something she doesn't have. The Glass Cat tells Trot and Cap'n Bill about a wonderful plant and Dorothy concocts an absurd idea with the Wizard using some talking animals as cute props.

Meanwhile there is a Hyup boy who lives on
Excitement is in the Land of Oz as Dorothy and her many friends are getting ready to celebrate Ozma's birthday. However unknown to them in a corner of Munchkinland a Hyup boy named Kiki Aru has discovered a magic word that allows him to change his form as well as the forms of others. While flying around the countries that surround the Deadly Desert Kiki encounters Rugeddo, the former Nome King, who makes a deal with him for help to conquer Oz. Meanwhile Dorothy and the Wizard are making pl

Here's another blue book down, this one coming from L. Frank Baum. For the record, I love the Oz series. The Magic of Oz, however... not my favourite. It was okay, but I grew weary. Here goes.

The Oz-ian citizens are preparing the celebration of Princess Ozma's birthday, and everyone is scrambling to get something for her that she does not already have. Meanwhile, in another part of Oz a boy named Kiki Aru has learned a magic word that gives him the power to hold sway over Oz and has hooked up wi
This is my second book of the Oz series. My first was the original "Wizard Of Oz", while this book was apparently published shortly after Mr. Baum's death. There were still two other books of his published posthumously and many others in the series.

Just like the first book, it is very enjoyable and easy reading and I feel compelled to use the words "enchanting" and "delightful" in describing it. It is obviously a study of human nature with a young wizard deciding he likes being evil along with a
I've always wanted to read an Oz book, so when I saw this at the library, I had to check it out.

It's fun. In the early chapters of the book, I was unconvinced. The world is bizarre. Even more bizarre than the movie, but that may just be how it comes across in book form. Anyway, it doesn't matter, because by the end of the book I was completely sold and ready to live in Oz myself. (And, seriously, I need a Glass Cat.)

According to the Afterward in the edition I had, this was one of Frank's last O
It's interesting that the two Baum books that I own are The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, which is the first Oz book, and this one, which is one of the last.

Many characters that I never heard of (the Tin Solder, Tick Tock, The Glass Cat, The Pink Kitten, Trot, The Wooden Saw Horse and more) were introduced in the books in between that make an appearance here. This isn't a real issue but is a little like when they have all the Dr. Who's in a special episode. It tends to clutter up the action.

Overall t
Jason Pettus
(Reprinted from the Chicago Center for Literature and Photography []. I am the original author of this essay, as well as the owner of CCLaP; it is not being reprinted here illegally. This review covers all 14 of the Baum Oz books, which is why it's found on all 14 book pages here.)

I think it's fairly safe by now to assume that nearly everyone in Western society is familiar with The Wizard of Oz, most of us because of the classic 1939 movie adaptation; and many realize as well tha
Sure, this comes with disclaimers. It might only barely be a four. It was kind of all over the place. Even so. I really kind of liked this one. I tend to like the Oz books where I feel like I can kind of make out the underpinnings of fairy tale conventions. Baum gets away from these more and more with the later books, and it was kind of nice getting a glimpse of this again.

It's Ozma's birthday and many of our usual crew scatter to track down the perfect present, and predictably land in hot water
Carly Krewitsky
Ruggedo is back to being evil in this Oz book. He teams up with Kiki Aru, a Munchkin boy who has no friends. Kiki Aru discovered a piece of paper with a magic word on it, as well as how to pronounce the magic word. Kiki's father used to be a magician. The magic word causes its user to transform themselves or someone else into another object. Ruggedo wants revenge on Ozma and Dorothy for driving him out of his Nome kingdom. Ruggedo has Kiki Aru transform him into a Li-Mon-Eag (lion, monkey, and e ...more
A pleasant enough story though nothing especially stand-out-ish. That said, it is better than typical for Oz and should read out loud pretty well. And a bit different for Oz - still a travelogue but not only a travelogue. And mostly old visiting with older characters both good and bad. What is missing is true characters, though the magic is a little bit bigger part of the story than normal. 3.5 of 5.
It's Ozma's birthday and everyone is trying to find her a grand present. Which leads to Trot and Cap'n Bill being stuck on an island and the Glass Cat has to go and bring someone to rescue them.

Also the Nome King is back and still evil and twists around the thoughts of a young boy and they try to take over Oz. By transformation? That doesn't work out very well for them.

Dorothy manages to get mixed up accidentally in all of it and manages to save the day. I think if I were twelve years old I woul
Rebecca Timberlake
The thirteenth book in the Oz series is probably the darkest. It's also one of the better books of the entire series. It follows different groups of known characters as they search for the perfect gift for Ozma's birthday, while separately a new character, Kiki Aru, and Ruggedo plot to overthrow Ozma. Even though some of the scenes feel familiar, there's really only so much you can do with these people, it was strong. The characters were true to themselves without being constantly annoying, like ...more
Victoria (SevenLeagueBooks)
This is, for the most part, a fairly tame story, the only exception being the plot to conquer Oz cooked up by a Munchkin/Hyup boy called Kiki Aru and Ruggedo, the former nome king. I actually liked that there were relatively few new characters, and that the story took place mostly within the border of Oz. It was a quiet book in that way, just familiar faces getting themselves into danger for the sake of their friend Ozma.
Tyrannosaurus regina
Up into about halfway through the book, maybe even two thirds of the way, I thought this was going to be my favourite in the series since the first. The structure was tight and the plot seemed to be going places. But then the climax came too soon and fizzled out and the rest was just sort of a pleasant stroll across the finish line.
Michael Tildsley
4.5 Stars

I think this has to be one of my favorite Oz books, despite the fact that the premise for getting the heroes away from the Emerald City is finding Ozma a birthday present. The reappearance of the Nome King was fantastic. I really liked the descriptive beginning that this book has as compared to some of Baum's other works. It felt like he was really in stride, and you could see where he wanted to go as a writer in places.

I have to take half a star away because of the rushed feeling to th
Vale Samu Granger .
La storia parla di una bambina, Dorothy, che a causa di un uragano viene spazzata via insieme alla sua casetta e al suo cagnolino Toto, vola vola e arriva in un altro mondo, più colorato e magico, dove regnano 4 streghe, due buone e due cattive. Nel suo percorso la bambina incontrerà alcuni personaggi che diventaranno suoi amici e la aiuteranno a trovare la via di ritorno per la casa degli zii. I personaggi mi sono piaciuti tutti tantissimo e la storia è delicata, l'ideale da leggere ai bambini. ...more
Dione Basseri
An Oz book where the magic belt is not the solution. Thank goodness. This story actually has some plot and suspense!

Bini Aru learns the pronunciation of the word that will allow the speaker to transform into anything they wish. Eventually he is allied to the nome Ruggedo, and they attempt to get the animals of Oz onto their side by claiming that the Emerald City plans to enslave them. (view spoiler)
Manu Corta

Si bien, no es de los mejores libros de Oz, es muy disfrutable, Baum vuelve a explotar el maravilloso material que tiene en la tierra de Oz, sin integrar personajes innecesarios, sólo por el hecho de integrarlos. La resolución es un poco sosa, pero va con el estilo del autor.
J.J. Lair
Very fascinating book. We meet our old enemy the Nome King and now he has a new ally. This magician knows an old magic word that will transform anything into another creature. They devise a plan to overthrow Oz with this magic. One would think that in such a short book that this plan would happen quickly. Dorothy and the Wizard, two big main characters that you would think could foil this, fall victim to this curse as do many forest creatures.
I really liked how the story unfolded in a short spa
  • Kabumpo in Oz (Oz, #16)
  • Dorothy of Oz
  • The Pink Fairy Book
  • The Light Princess and Other Fairy Stories
  • Seven-Day Magic (Tales of Magic, #7)
also wrote under the name Edith Van Dyne, Floyd Akers

Lyman Frank Baum was an American author, actor, and independent filmmaker best known as the creator, along with illustrator W. W. Denslow, of one of the most popular books in American children's literature, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, better known today as simply The Wizard of Oz. He wrote thirteen sequels, nine other fantasy novels, and a pleth
More about L. Frank Baum...

Oz (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (Oz, #1)
  • The Marvelous Land of Oz (Oz, #2)
  • Ozma of Oz (Oz, #3)
  • Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz (Oz, #4)
  • The Road to Oz (Oz, #5)
  • The Emerald City of Oz (Oz, #6)
  • The Patchwork Girl of Oz (Oz, #7)
  • Tik-Tok of Oz (Oz, #8)
  • The Scarecrow of Oz (Oz, #9)
  • Rinkitink in Oz (Oz, #10)
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (Oz, #1) Ozma of Oz (Oz, #3) The Marvelous Land of Oz (Oz, #2) The Road to Oz (Oz, #5) Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz (Oz, #4)

“It's a bird of some sort. It's like a duck, only I never saw a duck have so many colors."
The bird swam swiftly and gracefully toward the Magic Isle, and as it drew nearer its gorgeously colored plumage astonished them. The feathers were of many hues of glistening greens and blues and purples, and it had a yellow head with a red plume, and pink, white and violet in its tail.”
“The Glass Cat is one of the most curious creatures in all Oz. It was made by a famous magician named Dr. Pipt before Ozma had forbidden her subjects to work magic. Dr. Pipt had made the Glass Cat to catch mice, but the Cat refused to catch mice and was considered more curious than useful.
This astonishing cat was made all of glass and was so clear and transparent that you could see through it as easily as through a window. In the top of its head, however, was a mass of delicate pink balls which looked like jewels but were intended for brains. It had a heart made of a blood-red ruby. The eyes were two large emeralds. But, aside from these colors, all the rest of the animal was of clear glass, and it had a spun-glass tail that was really beautiful.”