Start by marking “Amber and Blood (Dragonlance: The Dark Disciple, #3)” as Want to Read:
Amber and Blood (Dragonlance: The Dark Disciple, #3)

Amber and Blood (Dragonlance: The Dark Disciple #3)

3.9  ·  Rating Details ·  1,770 Ratings  ·  59 Reviews
The Dark Disciple's fate will alter the future of Krynn.

In the concluding volume of this post-War of Souls trilogy, Mina learns the truth about herself and the terrible knowledge drives her insane. Rhys, the monk of Majere, accompanied by his dog Atta and the kender Nightshade, is given the dangerous assignment of guarding the crazed god, escorting her on a long, strange j
Published May 6th 2008 by Wizards of the Coast (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Amber and Blood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Amber and Blood

Ana Elena Romero
Como ya cabía esperar, después de los dos primeros volúmenes, el final de la trilogía no alcanza la maestría ni el nivel de los libros anteriores.
Guerras de dioses por conseguir el poder absoluto y una diosa (niña) que no sabe que lo es y trata de la mano de un monje, alcanzar su destino.
Quizá lo mejor de la trilogía es Beleño, el kender, por esa frescura que aporta a un relato anodino y ciertamente extenso.
Ha habido grandes momentos en Dragonlance, como para quedarnos con mal sabor de boca por
Elrond24
Mar 15, 2017 Elrond24 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Me esperaba un final más épico, pero al final ha sido el libro más flojo de los tres. No obstante, hacía tiempo que una trilogía no me enganchaba tanto y eso hay que remarcarlo.
Bonnie
Mar 17, 2008 Bonnie rated it really liked it
So after the cliff-hanger ending of the last book, I was really looking forward to learning Mina's history and what would happen with the pantheon of gods in Krynn. I've read several reviews that were disappointed with how this book was handled. We don't spend time with the Mina we've seen in the rest of the series, or even the Mina of the War of Souls. Instead, she reverts to a child. And the gods who had been so active in the other books take a step back here and pledge to leave Mina to make h ...more
Jessica
Feb 16, 2009 Jessica rated it it was ok
Shelves: library-book
Aaron
Nov 13, 2008 Aaron rated it it was ok
None of the later books can compare to Chronicles or Legends. I keep buying Weis and Hickman novels hoping to capture the experience I had with those books. And of course you can't go back. But several of their other Dragonlance books are enjoyable.

I liked the first two in this series. But this novel just kind of plodded along without developing the characters any further. However, halfway through the book it's like the editor went on drugs or hired a monkey to finish the job. I mean, it's so ba
Chris Witt
Jul 18, 2008 Chris Witt rated it it was ok
Well well well. Let's see here...

I started to like this book better than the first two books of the trilogy. Not great. But decent.

Then it descended into a bunch of nonsense. Here are some of the highlights.

1) Frequent exchanges between the lead character (as a child) and a kender that read like this:

"Yes you are."
"No I'm not!"

And so forth...

2) Hey! Did you know there's a dog in this book?! It's name is Atta, and it's black and white and c
Mike
Sep 05, 2014 Mike rated it it was ok
Monique
This is the sequel to Amber and Blood. In the novel Mina discovers the truth about her past. She cannot handle it and it drives her partially insane. Only by hitting rock bottom and meeting her true biological father does she come to terms with her past and the implications it will have on her future.

Overall this novel was okay... just okay. Mina’s inner struggle to come to terms with who she is was well written in some parts. The portions where she is a child are boring and the dialogue is dum
Jeremy
Mar 21, 2009 Jeremy rated it liked it
I thought the first two books were great, I had a fun time reading them.

Then I got the final book to the trilogy.

I'm not really sure what happened, it seemed like the editor gave up. There were a number of continuity issues that caused me to go back a few pages to see if it was me or if it was indeed an error. Plus there were misspellings, and sentences that were oddly worded. All of this kept pulling me from the story, which I found to be rather annoying. Maybe the Margaret Weis was rushed, may
Brian C. Morris
Aug 25, 2013 Brian C. Morris rated it it was ok
This review is from my book blog, The Shelves of Nikon.

This book seemed rush, and it definitely shows. It is riddled with spelling mistakes, extra words, and missing words. In addition to this, there are many inconsistencies, some between this book and the previous and others in different chapters. The chapters felt disconnected, as if the author took long breaks between them. The whole book was a mess, and the ending was not very satisfying. It feels like there is so much more to learn about Mi
Gnimsh
Feb 07, 2009 Gnimsh rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was very underwhelmed by this book. For starters, like many other reviews say, this book was riddled with errors. I found 2 alone in the first 34 pages and they just kept on coming after that, from continuity errors to spelling mistakes, this book has them all. The 2nd one in the series did as well. Couple that with the fact there are profiles at the end for Mina and Bone Warriors for those who play the D20 games, and it just makes me resent the author because it feels as though she was trying ...more
Russ
Jul 19, 2008 Russ rated it liked it
This is the final book in a new DragonLance trilogy and, as a whole, it was very good. The first two books were fantastic, and this book was great all the way through till the end. I had a hard time putting it down as Weis superbly built toward a climax. But the climax was, in my opinion, pretty disappointing. I don't want to spoil it for anyone, but I did not care for the ending, and based on Weis's excellent writing skills evidenced in this series and so many others, she could have done better ...more
Alessandro Pellizzari
La storia diventa un po' più interessante, ma rimangono troppe leggerezze nel background.

Fino a un attimo prima un dio non sa cosa succede a 100 metri da lui, e ora in una frazione di secondo vede cosa accade in tutto il mondo. Poco prima un mistico resuscita un animale, e qui un dio non riesce a resuscitare un uomo.

Sono i pericoli di infilare dei che camminano nel mondo in una storia che deve avere un senso, ma allora bisogna giustificarne i comportamenti.

L'idea che mi sono fatto è che Margaret
Angela
Dec 16, 2007 Angela rated it liked it
After reading the first 2 I really looked forward to this one but it didn't live up to my expectations. Part of that may be because I read this in a huge rush, but the other part was....it wasn't as INTERESTING as the other ones. Sure, there was action and interfering gods, but Mina as a child wasn't ... INTERESTING. Yes yes I know I'm repetitive. But this series was a more mature series and reading about a child isn't that great for such a series.
Matthew
Sep 03, 2008 Matthew rated it liked it
Recommends it for: dragonlance fans only
Shelves: dragonlance, fantasy
Not up to Margaret's usual standards. Interesting mostly because of the effect it will have on the pantheon of gods. Several editing mistakes and typos which was somewhat distracting and sometimes confusing as a couple times does was meant to be doesn't and similar issues. I would have liked to have known more about Valthonis. The parts with him and minotaurs were the best parts. Most of the rest of it was just walking and talking and dealing with both a 6 yr old and a kender.
Tabitha Tomala
Jul 24, 2011 Tabitha Tomala rated it liked it
I am sad to say this book was not as good as the previous two. The story seemed very rushed, such a long journey they had should not have been cut to nothing by Mina's powers. Maybe a quartet would have been better than a trilogy. This book was also full of mistakes, whether missing words, the wrong words or just plain bad grammar, I think this took away from the story as well.
jlf
Apr 06, 2010 jlf rated it did not like it
I was astounded by how terrible this was. It really made me afraid-- what if all these books have been equally terrible, and for some reason Ive just been blind to the truth til now? I mean, I've dutifully read practically every new Dragonlance for the last 15 years. Am I fucking retarded or was this just extra terrible or what?
Jeannie Lee
Feb 19, 2009 Jeannie Lee rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I did not like the way this series ended. Mina belonged with Chemosh! I enjoyed the series, as I loved Mina from the War of Souls. Even though I felt a little let down with the ending of the series, upon reflection, it was a good way to end it. I felt a little betrayed by the gods, but what can you expect when Fizban is no longer around?
David Zerangue
Feb 07, 2012 David Zerangue rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I liked the story, but it was more like reading notes than a well put together novel. The editing was horrendous. I would have been embarrassed to have my name associated with this novel because of this. However, because it is Dragonlance and I have a long history with this storyline, I cannot help but like it. I think Wizards of the Coast need new editors...
Marco
Jul 25, 2012 Marco rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
The characters introduced in the first two volume of the Dark Disciple trilogy return in Amber and Blood. Now that the divine nature of Mina is revealed, the gods of light and darkness try to get her to their side. This is the worst volume of the trilogy, it is quite dull, and it does not even seem written by the same author of the previous two volumes.
Cass
Aug 16, 2012 Cass rated it liked it
Thoroughly entertained. I am a sucker for fantasi. And that's how I like to spell it. Again Weis has her noble and humble character, a cute dispensable character, then a misunderstood antagonist. Love her vivid colors and settings. I remember each important scene clearly. She is a professional at her art.
Jake
Apr 27, 2009 Jake rated it it was amazing
Amber and Blood is a great book about Mina's struggle to accept the knowledge that she is a god as well as her choice of which side (Light or Darkness) to join. Her journey to Godshome with Rhys, the monk, and Nightshade, the kender, is everything that is expected from a Dragonlance book. Throughout the entire book, the only part I did not like was near the end. :'( Sad part.
Cptcrackers
Oct 13, 2009 Cptcrackers rated it liked it
This series really went off track with the god characters being overused, and the main storyline going completely away in favor of the Mina finding herself line.

Very chaotic books that seemed to have been written in a hurry.

Still. It's Weiss, with great charactes and interesting locales, so as disjointed as the plot is, it's absolutely worth reading.
Jeff
Apr 26, 2009 Jeff rated it really liked it
dang! i've not logged on for only a few days and i read a whole book! i'mi not one of those ppl who finish things quickly, so this is weird for me!

i had fun reading this series. it's not for everyone and some things will be missed if you haven't read chronicles and was fascinated with that. i still liked this series, tho.
Joe
Mar 12, 2013 Joe rated it liked it
As a long time reader of the Dragonlance books I thought this series went a long way detailing the state of the gods post War of Souls. Although I did find the ending to be slightly blah I thought it worked well enough. I may have really enjoyed this book if I didn't get hung up on all the mistakes, grammatical and continuity wise.
Laura C.
Aug 27, 2013 Laura C. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Dopo i primi due appassionanti volumi, devo dire che sono rimasta un po' delusa dalla conclusione della trilogia. L'ulteriore complicarsi della trama mi aveva appassionato, ma poi tutto si è risolto in un solo capitolo. Troppo poco. L'impressione è che sia stato finito in fretta, forse perchè le idee cominciavano a scarseggiare, ed è un vero peccato.
Ivelina
Sep 26, 2010 Ivelina rated it liked it
Shelves: dragonlance
Well this series took me literally years to read, because I started the first 3logy like 10 years ago, when these weren't out yet.
Because of that I got to read The Dark Disciple books not quite one after the other, and it is really just a story split on 3 books it kind of got blurry and stretched in my mind.
Somehow I keep better memories of War of Souls.
Boyd
Apr 30, 2008 Boyd rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy-series
I have to admit that I was disappointed in this book. For the ending of a series, I expected more. This book did not deliver, which is a rarity for Margaret Weis. I think she is better when writing with Tracy Hickman, they balance each other. I doubt that I will be reading anything further from M.W. if she pens it alone.
Jenifer
May 17, 2010 Jenifer rated it it was amazing
While I'm not sure if it's a fitting end to the story of Mina, I thought the book was very good. It was sort of anticlimactic with Mina finding herself and making her decision, but I guess it fits with the whole "finding oneself" theme of the book. All in all, it was a good book.
Daphne (Winged Reviews)
Quite a weak ending. I didn't really enjoy the first half of the book where she turned back into a child, because it felt completely different from the first two books. However, it was still entertaining and I love Margaret Weis' style.
  • The Measure and the Truth (Dragonlance: Rise of Solamnia, #3)
  • Empire of Blood (Dragonlance: The Minotaur Wars, #3)
  • Death March (Dragonlance: The Stonetellers, #2)
  • Destiny (Dragonlance: Elven Exiles, #3)
  • Return of the Exile (Dragonlance: Linsha, #3)
  • Divine Hammer (Dragonlance: Kingpriest, #2)
  • Sanctuary (Dragonlance: Elven Exiles, #1)
Fantasy novelist who, along with Tracy Hickman, was one of the original creators of the Dragonlance game world. I've written numerous novels and short stories set in the world of Krynn, as well as series in other, original worlds. These include: Darksword, Rose of the Prophet, Star of the Guardians, DeathGate, Dragonvarld, Sovereign Stone, Dragonships, and the Dragon Brigade. I also wrote two para ...more
More about Margaret Weis...

Dragonlance: The Dark Disciple (3 books)
  • Amber and Ashes (Dragonlance: The Dark Disciple, #1)
  • Amber and Iron (Dragonlance: The Dark Disciple, #2)