Start by marking “The Little Red Lighthouse and the Great Gray Bridge: Restored Edition” as Want to Read:
The Little Red Lighthouse and the Great Gray Bridge: Restored Edition

The Little Red Lighthouse and the Great Gray Bridge: Restored Edition

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  1,375 ratings  ·  58 reviews
Lighting up readers' hearts and imaginations since it was first published in 1942.
Published April 1st 2003 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1942)

Be the first to ask a question about The Little Red Lighthouse and the Great Gray Bridge

The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise BrownThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss
Best Picture Books
370th out of 1,472 books — 1,025 voters
Billy And Blaze by C.W. AndersonKaty and the Big Snow by Virginia Lee BurtonThe Biggest Bear by Lynd WardMike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel by Virginia Lee BurtonMiss Twiggley's Tree by Dorothea Warren Fox
All-time Favorite Picture Books for Boys
15th out of 60 books — 7 voters

More lists with this book...

Brian James
'Once upon a time a little lighthouse was built on a sharp point of the shore by the Hudson River.

It was round and fat and red.

It was fat and red and jolly.

And it was VERY, VERY PROUD.'

This is the story of the last remaining lighthouse on Manhattan Island in New York City, a place once home to many such lighthouses. In the classic picture book tradition, this functional object is imbued with the friendly qualities equal to its usefulness. The reader cheers for the heroic lighthouse and fears for
Scott L.
This is an amazing book. I first heard it read on the "Captain Kangaroo" show in the mid 1960's - and loved it so much I asked my parents to buy it for me. They did, and now I have bought it for my daughter, my nephew and my niece. And the best part is that the Little Red Lighthouse is still there, on Manhattan under the "great gray bridge" - the George Washington Bridge. A wonderfully imaginative book that I would recommend to anyone who has children to read to.
Eva Kelly
So OK. Here's another subject of books I love: things that are things but are like people in stories. Like Mike Mulligan and his steam shovel, and this one. It's about a little red lighthouse (cause that's the NAME! HA!) and the lighthouse keeps everyone safe, but one day they build a big bridge over him and he gets sad because he can't help people anymore. But just when he thinks he's ruined, guess what? They come and put his light on so he WORKS again! And they all live happily ever after!
This
Kelly
I didn't read this until my husband introduced me to it as an adult (it was one of his childhood favorites). Now I can't look at the GW without thinking about the little red lighthouse below.
Ashley
I totally did not tear up at the end of this book. >.>

I envision a lot of little nieces and nephews getting copies of this for birthdays/Christmas.
Suzanne
Particularly fun for children living in New York or new Jersey who regularly commute over the GW bridge.
J L's Bibliomania
We regularly drive over the George Washington Bridge, and my husband has told us the story and we've looked for the lighthouse, but I only sought out The Little Red Lighthouse and the Great Gray Bridge: Restored Editionat the prompting of 1001 Children's Books You Must Read Before You Grow Up. My kids are past the age where this would be a hit, but I wish I had taken the time to find it when they were aged 4-6 and obsessed with boats and transportation. If your child loves classics like Mike Mul ...more
Robert
Reminiscent of the books by Virginia Lee Burton, such as Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel and especially The Little House.

I picked this book because I have become a recent fan of artist Lynd Ward. This is nice book, about a very real little lighthouse in Manhattan's Washington Park, under the grand George Washington bridge. Happily, the lighthouse avoided demolition and still stands erect today, although sadly it is no longer lit.

My favorite picture is of..."A thick fog crept over the river an
Earl Baugh
One of my most favorite children's books.
Esp. since it's based on actual buildings.
Linda
I love picture books based around physical landmarks that kids can see and relate to. It gives the world around us a little more 'life'.

The minimal colour illustrations are an indication of it's printing era (1942) and are warmly drawn. It does look and feel dated, but if read together I'm certain many children will still take to the story. In fact, I didn't find it a particularly 'girls' or 'boys' book, because although the setting of boats & bridges are more likely to appeal to boys, the
Nicole
This is a book about a lighthouse. I cried about it.
Robin
Reminiscent of V L Burton's "The Little House"
Katharine
One of my absolute favorites from childhood.
Traci
A wonderful story about believing in yourself and the uniqueness that is every individual. This was a favorite of mine growing up. For years my dad would taunt me that The Little Red Lighthouse didn't really exist—that it was just a myth—but I believed and defended it's existence even though it was years before I would see it for myself.

This book was also so beloved that when it became known the lighthouse was to be demolished, area children protested and saved the landmark. It still stands ben
The Library Lady
Any child who reads this will forever after (even when they are past 40!) be watching for the lighthouse as they drive near the George Washington Bridge in NYC.

In addition to being a wonderful story every child should experience, this book shows the power a story can have. Because of this book, the Little Red Lighthouse (official named the Jeffrey's Hook lighthouse) was restored and can be visited by children and their families. Go to www.hudsonlights.com/littlered.htm for more information. And
Jonathan Watts
(Review is for a different edition)

This was one of my favorite books as a child. The message of the story is great, however the illustrations are what make this book stand out.

You are important! No matter how small or insignificant events or people make you feel, your size doesn't matter, you can make a difference and you are needed in your world!

This is a great book for kids of all ages, and I enjoy reading it to my children just as much as I once enjoyed having it read to me when I was their a
Mamers
This was recommended to me by Dick "Your Voice Sounds Like Angels" VK. He stared at the lighthouse and bridge in this story for quite some time while his daughter was in the hospital for an extended stay. I feel that this book was probably awesome when it first came out in 1942 and as it is a Reading Rainbow book, I'm sure it remained awesome for quite some time. I can also see how Dick likes it, since he has an emotional tie. Me? I was bored silly.
Margaret
Feb 04, 2013 Margaret rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Margaret by: Mother of Divine Grace
This is an amazing read aloud for storytime. I found myself quite easily with the text to be animated. The watercolor illustrations are lovely and I understand why this is a vintage story brought back to life. Well worthy to be a classic with such beauty in color as we'll as in text. Also on top if that already merit it has a great meaning and moral message in the purpose of the new and old. Definitely a worthy purchase well made.
Amanda
Very interesting book which makes non-fiction fun to read by personifying the lighthouse, bridge, boats and fog. The illustrations are nice and warm and the story is easy to read, without being elementary. I loved that the story of the lighthouse's restoration was on the back cover. The moral that even small people/jobs can still be very important and needed is sure to appeal to children.
Paul
Nov 27, 2007 Paul rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
i have the 1973 printed edition.

i was first given this book when i was a child. many, many, many years later i still have the book.

i still read it every once in a while. i would like to go to new york someday to see if the little red lighthouse and the great gray bridge are still standing side by side on the hudson river ... ... who knows - one day i just might.
Ellie
I love the fact that this very old lighthouse still stands in the shadow of the great George Washington Bridge-a bridge whose lights I grew up seeing from my bedroom window without ever knowing the lighthouse hidden behind it. The pictures are well-done & it evokes a sense of somehow nostalgic pride in my "hometown" - New York City.
Sean
One of my favorite children's books of all time from when I was a kid. And did you know you can actually go see the Little Red Lighthouse, its located at the base of the eastern pier of the George Washington Bridge in New York City.

That and a Lighthouse with an inferiority complex, and a worrier...you can't go wrong with that!
Allison
Sep 24, 2011 Allison rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Preschoolers & Up
Recommended to Allison by: 1001 CBYMRBYGU
Shelves: 1001-cbymrbygu
This is a cute story first published in 1942 that brings lighthouse, boats and bridges to life as sentient beings. For children who already know and love Thomas the Tank Engine and/or Theodore Tugboat, this story will be a natural favorite for them. It's also a great story about being proud of what one does and doing it well.
Emkoshka
A gorgeous old picture book in the same vein as Little Toot, with its anthropomorphised boats and structures and sound moral message: 'Each to his own place, little brother'. The illustrations are top-notch and exquisitely detailed. Next time I'm in NY, I'll have to look out for the little lighthouse. :)
Carolyn
A cute book. My DH insisted on buying this when we had our first child - his grandfather helped build the GW Bridge and had gotten him a copy when he was a child, so he has a special attachment to this one. My daughters both like it fine, but DH is the real fan in the family. = )
Lacy
A classic. What its like when something new comes along and overpowers and outshines something old. There's room for both as we see with the lighthouse and the bridge. The watercolors are lovely. First published in 1942, but still a story worth looking into. (A Reading Rainbow book!)
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
The Little Red Lighthouse has always been Absolutely Necessary, responsible for saving many boats and many lives. But now there is the Great Gray Bridge to keep boats and people safe. How Necessary is the Little Red Lighthouse now?
Karen
This Reading Rainbow book caught my eye while I was browsing at the library. It's quaint illustrations and poetic language reminds me of many of the classic children's picture books. Originally published in 1942 and again in 1970.
Kristine Pratt
I love that this lighthouse is still standing next to the great gray bridge. :) A good story about pride and being useful and a nice splash of history all rolled into one. Loved this book and wish I'd seen it on Reading Rainbow.
  • Madlenka
  • The Mousehole Cat
  • Harry and the Bucketful of Dinosaurs
  • Clown
  • Lotta's Bike
  • Max (Reading Rainbow Book)
  • Night Of The Moonjellies
  • Ernest and Celestine
  • Morris' Disappearing Bag
  • A New Coat for Anna
  • Up in the Tree
  • One Snowy Night (Book & Tape)
The Railroad to Freedom: A Story of the Civil War Little Blacknose: The Story of a Pioneer The Edge of April: A Biography of John Burroughs North star shining: a pictorial history