Start by marking “The Complete Sherlock Holmes” as Want to Read:
The Complete Sherlock Holmes

The Complete Sherlock Holmes (Top Five Classics #17)

4.5  ·  Rating Details ·  122,720 Ratings  ·  2,683 Reviews
The complete collection of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes tales, both long and short, compiled together for the first time by Simon & Schuster.

This fantastic collection is accompanied by an exciting new introduction from Robert Ryan, a writer whose own book, Dead Man's Land, has been fully endorsed by the Conan Doyle Estate. A big Holmes fan himself, he will
Published October 1st 1986 by Bantam Classics (first published 1894)

adam bradford
Oct 31, 2007 adam bradford rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: researchers
A few of the things I learned:

Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth

Never theorize before you have all the evidence. It biases the judgment.

Also, I now sometimes try to analyze people based on their shoes and pants when sitting on the subway. I have yet to ask anyone if I was accurate about my predictions.
Rowan Wiese
Oct 20, 2016 Rowan Wiese rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Time does not change great literature This was completely entertaining and no matter how old you are it's still great to read over the ones you enjoyed the first time. Several I had not remembered reading. I bought this book at special price from here:
Meave
Oct 31, 2007 Meave rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
My copy of this book is a wreck, I have read it so often. My dad gave it to me, I can't remember if it was a birthday or Christmas gift, but regardless it's one of the best books I've ever been given. You just have to read a couple of pages and you fall right into Holmes and Watson's world; it's wonderful.
Arah-Lynda
Oct 07, 2016 Arah-Lynda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: top, lod, i-said, paperwhite
I have no idea how I let myself get so long in the tooth before finally settling down and reading this collection.  Suffice to say I am glad I finally came to my senses.

It is all here, every Sherlock Holmes story ever penned by Arthur Conan Doyle.  There are four complete novels and five books of case studies.  Relax I am not going to even attempt to review every one of these.  That would be tedious for me as well as you.

There is no doubt that my hands down favourite of the entire collection was
Rizwan
Feb 05, 2013 Rizwan rated it it was amazing
সকুলের শেষে এসএসসির পর পুরো "শারলক হোমস অমনিবাস" টানা পড়ে শেষ করেছিলাম, সমভবত একবসাতেই । কলকাতার তুলি-কলম পরকাশনীর পরকাশিত মণীনদর দততের দুরদানত অসাধারণ পূরনাঙগ অনুবাদ । গভীর মুগধতায় এক বিসময়কর ঘোরের মাঝে ডুবে ছিলাম কয়েকটা দিন । ইতোপূরবে শারলক হোমস কে, কি, কেন এসব সমপরকে তখন আবছা আবছা ধারণা বৈ আর কিছুই জানা ছিল না । এখনকার অতি বিচকষণ ও অভিজঞ পাঠকদের মত আগেভাগেই সব জেনে যাবার কোন সুযোগ ছিল না, একেবারে আনকোরা চোখে নতুন এক জগত আবিষকারের অনাবিল নিখাঁদ আননদের সাথে পরতিটি গলপ পরতিটি পৃষঠা উপভোগ করেছিলা ...more
The Books Blender
Mar 11, 2016 The Books Blender rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
description

Caro Arthur Conan Doyle,

So il che rapporto con la tua più famosa creatura non sempre è stato idilliaco. So che sei arrivato perfino a commettere un omicidio pur di sbarazzarti della tua onnipresente e impertinente creatura. Ma… sono contenta che ti sia ricreduto e che Sherlock Holmes, alla fine, sia sopravvissuto anche al suo peggior nemico: il suo stesso creatore.

Ora, ci sono mille altre cose che vorrei aggiungere. Ad esempio, potrei dire di come abbia cominciato con "Uno studio in rosso" che
Manny
For the Celebrity Death Match Review Tournament, Le Petit Prince (14) versus The Complete Sherlock Holmes (19)

It was some time during the summer of 19__ that I received an urgent telegram from Holmes. Arriving at 221B, Baker Street, I was struck by how little he had changed. He was older, to be sure; but his eye was as keen as ever, and his enthusiasm not one whit abated by the passage of the years.

"I trust you have brought your passport, Watson?" he said, in lieu of greeting. "We depart for Alg
K.D. Absolutely
Aug 28, 2011 K.D. Absolutely rated it really liked it
So, I'm now done with reading this whole 2-volume 1,796-page Sherlock Holmes canon. I spent 10 months reading all the 4 novels and 56 short stories contained herein.

I really liked the experience and I am proud of this accomplishment. My first time to read a canon. Before reading this, I thought that the word canon only applied to biblical works. Well, that was the first thing I learned upon adding this book in my currently-reading folder.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle wrote in a classy classic manner a
Hasham Rasool
'The Complete stories of Sherlock Holmes with original illustrations the 'strand' magazine'.

4 novels:

'A Study in Scarlet'
'The Sign of the Four'
'The Hound of the Baskervilles'
'The Valley of Fear'

5 books of 56 short stories:

'The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes':
'A Scandal in Bohenia'
'The Red-Headed League'
'A Case of Identity'
'The Boscombe Valley Mystery'
'The Five Orange Pips'
'The Man with the Twisted Lip'
'The Blue Carbunde'
'The Speckled Band'
'The Engineer's Thumb'
'The Noble Bachelor'
'The Beryl Cor
Diana
Feb 24, 2008 Diana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was so sad when I finished this book. Nothing new to read ever again about Sherlock Holmes ... hmmmm *sigh*
Alexis Hall
My impression of what a Sherlock Holmes' story is actually like.

I came down to breakfast one morning to find my dear friend, Sherlock Holmes disembowelling a gerbil with a teaspoon.

"My dear Holmes," said I, "is that really necessary?"

Barely glancing up from his gruesome task, he told me that it was. "You see, Watson," he continued, "there is matter that I believe may soon become illuminated not only to you but the whole of London society."

"Good God, Holmes!" I cried. "Whatever is this?"

"Have pat
Martha
Oct 07, 2008 Martha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those in varying states of wakefullness
I don't know if anyone else does this, but in times of stress or when I have exceptional trouble falling asleep, I find myself re-reading a favorite book. One of these used to be my complete Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series but alas, it *is* in fact possible to read those books too many times. Lately this book has been the Complete Sherlock Holmes.

What amazes me the most about these stories is that, despite having read through the entire collection a number of times, I seem to find someth
Jaro
May 30, 2016 Jaro rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: p-sherlock
Phew… I finished this whole thing in twelve days (except for The Hound of the Baskervilles which I had read before). I was in a very restless mood while reading and couldn’t stop. The focus, precision and energy of the stories kept me alert throughout and I never tired. As soon as I finished a story I was immediately hungry for more. I think the stories actually gained something by being consumed in succession in a short time. It made me aware of the structure of the stories, about similarities ...more
Jordan Bailey
Jun 05, 2008 Jordan Bailey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
What first got me hooked on reading.
[That sounds corny, like 'Hooked on Phonics' or something...]
Either way, I found a seriously abridged and illustrated version of a few stories when I was in 3rd grade. And I've never looked back. Hands down my favorite reads ever.
Jan Rice
Jan. 15, 2013: I received this as a gift when I was 20 years old. I had already read it but I must have read again, because the cover wore off. I tucked the front and back piece of the cover in the back of the book, and that's how I know it was this edition. I loved Sherlock Holmes. I own a Sherlock Holmes sweatshirt at this very time.

I also liked Arthur & George by Julian Barnes, which was about Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

Added after I saw one of my friends was going to read Sherlock Holmes.
I s
DeAnna Knippling
The Complete Sherlock Holmes...I happened to finish Dan Simmons's The Fifth Heart recently, and was a little put out about how he treated Sherlock in some spots. Having now finished the complete stories and novels - okay, yeah. Lots of inconsistencies, many stories a long stone's throw from fair, repetitive plotlines, and those stupid stories that are Sherlock intro, Sherlock epilogue...and a mass of adventure from America that I couldn't care less about. Sherlock is a heartless bastard, all rig ...more
Jesús
Jan 29, 2012 Jesús rated it it was amazing
My first review... Well then... Let's get to it.

There are many things about Sherlock Holmes stories that I find to be brilliant but I will discuss only three in this review so as not to make it too long.

The first is that Holmes is actually as brilliant as his reputation would have everyone believe. Something that I find extremely annoying in fiction is when a character has a reputation for being a fantastic investigator or for being great at something else but they never do anything to prove th
Mark
Aug 11, 2012 Mark is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I've decided that this mammoth collection of stories will be a work in progress project for me. It'll probably take me a lifetime between reading other books, but the target is set!

Why am I doing this?

Well, (a) you can have too much of a good thing and (b) I don't want to run the risk of the stories all rolling into one, becoming samey and then boredom setting in and the book landing on my "given-up" shelf. I'm quite sure that these stories were never published all in one go and in one volume
Cindy Rollins
Sep 27, 2015 Cindy Rollins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, audiobooks
58 hours of narration by the wonderful Simon Vance which I doubt will ever be improved upon. Truly remarkable stories.

I often struggle to determine how many stars to give many books, especially modern ones which often come highly touted. But there is no struggle here. These stories are superior to any modern stories I have read this year.

For those who may not know this Doyle was a wonderful author of other books equal to his Sherlock Holmes books. For family reading do not miss The White Compa
Sahaj Panchal
Jul 24, 2014 Sahaj Panchal rated it it was amazing
Shelves: novels-fiction
A Scandal in Bohemia: Chapter I. A dialogue I liked.
A scene at 221/B, Baker Street, London

Sherlock is sitting in his armchair in his usual manner, his eyes closed. In front of him is Count Von Kramm, a Bohemian nobleman, wearing a mask. (Who he was kidding? He was in front of the great SH!) And so in front of him actually is Wilhelm Gottsreich Sigismond von Ormstein, Grand Duke of Cassel Felstein, and hereditary King of Bohemia. by this time SH has opened his eyes and had an impatient look at
Lawyer
Jan 01, 2010 Lawyer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who enjoy classic detective fiction and those who enjoyed Wilkie Collins' "The Moonstone".
In which we learn that Sherlock Holmes turns to a seven percent solution of cocaine for mental stimulation in the absence of a case on which to work, much to the chagrin of Dr. Watson. Arthur Conan Doyle weaves a story around the Sepoy Mutiny and a lost Indian treasure,in a plot reminiscent of Wilkie Collins' "The Moonstone". Sherlock Holmes reveals that he is a master of disguise and we learn more of the workings of the Baker Street Irregulars. This second appearance of Holmes and Watson is mor ...more
Tracey
Dec 07, 2015 Tracey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, hist-myst
As it turns out, I don't like Sherlock Holmes very much. The idea? Some of the writing? The kernel of the character and Watson and 221B and Mrs. Hudson and so on?

Absolutely. Holmes himself and his mysteries?

Oh, God.

I'm sure it was in some small part down to the fact that I listened to the entire blessed Holmes canon in an Audible "Complete" edition. I was happy about it, because it was narrated by Simon Vance, who has done such a magnificent job voicing Holmes in sequels by other authors. And
Megan Allison
Apr 05, 2009 Megan Allison rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who can handle a handful of fancy words
Recommended to Megan by: My sister
These novels and short stories are a blast to read when you want to get a taste of the original crime thriller stuff. It's cool to know that Doyle kind of started the detective crime mystery genre. If that doesn't make it cool enough, Sherlock Holmes makes for a very interesting character to follow, which makes sense since the character of Gregory House on the medical show HOUSE was based on Sherlock Holmes. This isn't necessarily because they both solve mysteries, but they both seem to have tha ...more
Eric
Jul 24, 2009 Eric rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of the detective genre
A Study in Scarlet: The first novel featuring the prototypical detective, it was a page-turner that made me excited to read the rest of the Sherlock Holmes canon. I was unnecessarily concerned when the second part of the novel opened in America, and did not seem to concern the original mystery that was set in England, but it came back and tied it together successfully.

The Sign of the Four: Not only was this story's mystery on par with the Jefferson Hope case, it also fleshed out the characters
Karina Read
Jul 10, 2015 Karina Read rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVE Sherlock Holmes. Conan Doyle's stories are so easy to dip in and out of yet stay with you for a long time. His writing is superb and I love that while reading any one story I will be scared/nervous/curious/baffled etc.. What I particularly loved was that 80% of the time (if not more) i did not know who the culprit was. I love not knowing the ending of stories and sadly a lot of modern day crime books can be a bit predictable towards the end. Cannot recommend Sherlock Holmes high enough. E ...more
Jana
Jan 01, 2015 Jana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd give this an overall 3 out of 5 stars because Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's writing tends to really drag at points, even in the short stories. However, the content and construction of the stories themselves are really well done, so I did enjoy this overall.
kaśyap
Jul 11, 2012 kaśyap rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, classics
Sherlock Holmes is my favorite fictional character. I received a copy of the complete collection when i was very young and i grew up reading these stories.I read every single story in this so many times that my copy is completely torn.
every story in this is clever,wonderfully written and gripping
Sonja - Badass Wanderer
A Study in Scarlet: read the 11th of August 2015
My rating: 9.5/10 or 5/5 stars
Zahidul
Feb 26, 2016 Zahidul rated it it was amazing
--- Sherlock Holmes ----
শারলক হোমস , বিশবের অনযতম জনপরিয় ফিকশনাল ডিটেকটিভ চরিতর।সকটিশ লেখক ও চিকিৎসক সযার আরথার কোনান ডয়েলের এ অসাধারণ সৃষটির পরথম গলপ "A Study in Scarlet " ১৮৮৭ সালে পরকাশিত হবার পর থেকে আজ পরযনত ফিকশনাল ডিটেকটিভ চরিতরদের জনয এক আদরশ চরিতর হিসেবে পরিচিত হয়ে আসছে। সযার আরথার কোনান ডয়েল এর লেখা এ ডিটেকটিভ চরিতরকে নিয়ে মোটমাট ৫৬ টি ছোটগলপ আর ৪ টি উপনযাস রয়েছে,এমনকি সবচেয়ে বেশি adapted মুভি চরিতর হিসেবে বযবহার করার জনয গিনেজ বুকে এই চরিতরের নাম ও রয়েছে !
Inspiration for Sherlock
Michael Arnold
Apr 27, 2017 Michael Arnold rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I'll be honest, after a while I was just building up to 'Hound of the Baskervilles' just to see what it's like. And to be honest, 'Hound of the Baskervilles' is easily the best story in this collection. Everything is so ... British horror and I love it, and aside from the short story 'The Final Problem' and a few others - most of these stories are utterly forgettable.

It was interesting to see how Holmes differed from the cultural image we have of him. He's basically a bohemian, and in another u
Fantasy, Magic, a...: Sherlock Holmes 7 4 Feb 03, 2017 06:21PM
Around the Year i...: The Complete Sherlock Holmes, by Arthur Conan Doyle 8 55 May 06, 2016 01:37AM
about the book 1 18 Oct 28, 2015 03:08PM
Goodreads Feedback: problems with likes 8 88 Sep 22, 2015 02:23AM
  • The Exploits of Sherlock Holmes
  • Jules Verne Seven Novels
  • Sherlock: The Casebook
  • Busman's Honeymoon (Lord Peter Wimsey, #13)
  • Five Novels: Oliver Twist, A Christmas Carol, David Copperfield, A Tale of Two Cities, Great Expectations
  • Exit Sherlock Holmes
  • The Lost Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
  • The New Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
  • Professor Moriarty: The Hound of the D'Urbervilles
  • Shadows Over Baker Street
  • The Complete Works of Lewis Carroll
  • H.G. Wells: Seven Novels
  • Dust and Shadow: An Account of the Ripper Killings by Dr. John H. Watson
  • The Revenge of Moriarty (Professor Moriarty, #2)
  • The Hermit of Eyton Forest (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael #14)
  • The Witness for the Prosecution and Other Stories
  • Jane Austen: Seven Novels
  • The Complete Father Brown
Arthur Conan Doyle was born the third of ten siblings on 22 May 1859 in Edinburgh, Scotland. His father, Charles Altamont Doyle, was born in England of Irish descent, and his mother, born Mary Foley, was Irish. They were married in 1855.

Although he is now referred to as "Conan Doyle", the origin of this compound surname (if that is how he meant it to be understood) is uncertain. His baptism record
More about Arthur Conan Doyle...

Top Five Classics (5 books)
  • Great Expectations
  • دراكولا
  • The Complete Tales and Poems
  • Frankenstein

“You have a grand gift for silence, Watson. It makes you quite invaluable as a companion.” 892 likes
“Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he.” 641 likes