Start by marking “The Stories of Frank Sargeson” as Want to Read:
The Stories of Frank Sargeson

The Stories of Frank Sargeson

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  36 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Forty-seven stories from the master.
Published 1982 by Penguin Books (NZ)

To ask other readers questions about The Stories of Frank Sargeson, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Stories of Frank Sargeson

Alan Wightman
Jul 17, 2012 Alan Wightman rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Alan by: Hamish Clayton
A literary friend of mine recommended Sargeson - he is thought of as being the first writer to freely use the New Zealand vernacular. This is a collection of short stories, presented in chronological order, from "Conversation with My Uncle" in 1935 to "Making Father Pay" in 1975. The age of the author, who was born in 1903, thus varies from 32 to 72.

One therefore comes away with the feeling that one has read a kind of autobiography, told in fictional terms. The protagonist or narrator is almost
I remember studying these short stories during high school in New Zealand, and again at university in New Zealand. Sargeson is an important literary influence because he was one of the first authors to embrace the Kiwi accent. Until Sargeson, writers were hell bent on emulating the learned English from the Mother Country, and felt (still feel, in many cases) some embarrassment about the local dialect.

The thing is, dialects change quickly, and even as a New Zealander I struggle to understand some
The complete collection of his short stories. Interesting to watch the change in style as he grew older. Some very good, tight, quirky stories that I would rate 4 or 5 stars. A few that I did not relate to at all. An interesting compilation worth digging into.
Catherine Cocker
i love frank sargesons writing he tells far more in his absence of words than in words themselves. very New Zealand
Feb 12, 2009 Naomi marked it as to-read
I've been wanting to read Frank Sargeson since reading Janet Frame's 'Angel at my table'. Thanks for reminding me.
Abigail Saxby
Abigail Saxby marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2015
Simon Rothmoser
Simon Rothmoser marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2015
Bridget marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2015
Bob Bobington
Bob Bobington marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2015
Utulamataki Paongo
Utulamataki Paongo marked it as to-read
May 12, 2015
Jane Phillipson
Jane Phillipson marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Annabelle marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
Malcolm marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2015
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
Alicia is currently reading it
Nov 02, 2014
Dilan Nanayakkara
Dilan Nanayakkara marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Nicole added it
Aug 25, 2014
G added it
Jul 13, 2014
Maria Jose
Maria Jose marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Wolf Price
Wolf Price marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
The pen name of Norris Frank Davey. He is considered one of New Zealand's foremost short story writers. Like Katherine Mansfield, Sargeson helped to put New Zealand literature on the world map.
More about Frank Sargeson...