Start by marking “The Powerpuff Girls: Volume 1” as Want to Read:
The Powerpuff Girls: Volume 1

The Powerpuff Girls: Volume 1 (Powerpuff Girls Vol. 2 #1-5)

The Powerpuff Girls are back! There are some strange things going on in Townsville. The villains are villains no-more and are teaming up with the heroes? It's a good thing Blossom, Bubbles, and Buttercup are still around - just in case!
Published April 29th 2014 by IDW Publishing (first published April 22nd 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Powerpuff Girls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Powerpuff Girls

Rose
This was a pleasant trip down memory lane, and a quick read to boot. "Powerpuff Girls Volume 1" brings back many of the same lovable characters from the series: with Buttercup, Blossom and Bubbles fighting crime in the City of Townsville. (And the narrator, as usual, breaking the fourth wall.) Many of the villains from the series also make an appearance here - including mastermind Mojo Jojo.

But Mojo Jojo seems to somehow have lost his...well, mojo. When he supposedly admits defeat at the hands o
Wendy
Mar 24, 2014 Wendy rated it really liked it
IDW Publishing does such a fantastic job of bringing our favourite cartoons to print, without ever losing any of the fun and amusing elements that made us love them in the cartoons in the first place.

I read Powerpuff Girls with my daughters, aged eight and five. We're all fans of the show and had a blast reading the comic, just as we have with other IDW comics, like My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. I love the opportunity to share this medium with my kids with stories that they can easily un
Nikki
Feb 08, 2014 Nikki rated it really liked it
Got this from Netgalley. It's on read now if you want a dose of nostalgia! It's basically the same format, directly translated into comic book form. You will probably want to do all the voices just like in the original (which is on Netflix, if anyone else is feeling a craving right now).

I don't think it'd work so well for anyone who doesn't already know the show, but since I grew up with it, it struck just the right note -- and actually leaves me curious as to what happens next.
Meghan
Apr 17, 2014 Meghan rated it really liked it
I am a big fan of The Powerpuff Girls. Even though they do kick butt, I think it's a good cartoon for kids to watch because they are always helping people, fighting against evil ... and they learn their lessons (unlike what happens on a lot of cartoons these days). Their graphic novels/comic books are no different.

Villains and Heroes working together?!?! How can you get any better than that?!?!

I had a lot of fun reading this story and the kids I shared it with thought it was great too. Definitel
Rebecca McNutt
I've never been much of a Powerpuff Girls fan. I used to have the television program on VHS and all, but that was when I was six years old. I don't understand how it ever became so mainstream in the adult world, or why its popularity has gone on so long. It's very overrated. Anyhow, if you haven't read this graphic novel, don't worry, you haven't missed much. The art was okay, but this was more or less just a TV novelization.
Tracy Poff
Mar 10, 2014 Tracy Poff rated it really liked it
Shelves: egalleys, comics
This review also appears on my blog.

Sugar, spice, and everything nice: these were the ingredients chosen to create the perfect little girl. But Professor Utonium accidentally added an extra ingredient to the concoction--CHEMICAL X.

Did you read that in the narrator's voice? On November 18, 1998, Blossom, Bubbles, and Buttercup began their weekly crusade against crime, and for the next six years, their adventures graced our TVs. The Powerpuff Girls was a hit, and it spawned at least ten video game
Conan Tigard
Nov 18, 2015 Conan Tigard rated it really liked it
NOTE: The copy I was given from NetGalley only had 66 pages, which is the first three comic books, so my review will only be for half of the book. I tried contacting IDW Publishing and left a message about this, but never heard back. I found this to be a bit of a bummer that I wasn't contacted after trying to contact them. After all, how am I supposed to review a book thoroughly when I only get to read half of the book?

Powerpuff Girls Vol. 1 is a collection of six comic books into one graphic no
Mehsi
Received this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Rating:4.5 stars.

I was so excited that I could read this little comic. I absolutely love the Powerpuff girls series. I watched the cartoons, read various fancomics and also seen the anime. So I think you all can imagine just how excited I was!

This was all so nostalgic. :)

The girls are all back, this time more Mojo-Jojo trouble, though trouble... more like nothing new. Mojo decides to go good and become normal again. Of course a c
Ashley Ferguson
Mar 13, 2016 Ashley Ferguson rated it really liked it
This review and more can be found at The A P Book Club

*I received this book from Diamond Book Distributors/IDW Publishing on Netgalley in exchange for an honest review*

Growing up, The Powerpuff Girls was always on our TV. My sister and I loved watching the cartoon, and so I was really excited when I stumbled across this comic book. And let me tell you, I was not disappointed! This was everything I hoped it would be.

If you're a long-time fan of the Powerpuff Girls, all of your favorites make an
Michelle (In Libris Veritas)
I am a huge fan of The Powerpuff Girls. I grew up watching the first cartoon show on Cartoon Network and I even read most of the first run of the comics. I was there for the movie, my room was decked out in Powerpuff Girls bedsheets and wall stickers…I even have a Christmas ornament of Buttercup. So I’m beyond stoked to see the series come back to the tv and to comic books, and I wasted no time requesting the first volume from IDW.

For those unfamiliar with PPG this is a pretty good way to get st
Andy Shuping
Jul 12, 2014 Andy Shuping rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
ARC provided by NetGalley

Mojo Mojo has been defeated by the Powerpuff girls yet again! He’s finally run out of schemes and ideas, as the Powerpuff girls are able to stop him before he even begins. What’s the smartest monkey in the world to do now? Surrender. Mojo Mojo gives up his mojo and becomes a seemingly normal monkey again. And he isn’t the only one! A sinister force has decided all of the villains of Townville should be reformed! This can only be a good thing...right?

The Powerpuff Girls
Kathy (My Nook Books and More)
Nov 18, 2014 Kathy (My Nook Books and More) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
My daughters have always been fans of the Powerpuff Girls. They love them so much they still have all the dolls and even dressed up as them for Halloween. So when I saw this on Netgalley I thought it would be fun to do another guest review with my youngest daughter, who is now 11-years-old. So here is her review, in the form of an interview:

What did you like about this book?
I liked the drawings in the book. The girls look just like they are in the cartoons. And the story was also good.

Do you hav
Wayne McCoy
May 11, 2014 Wayne McCoy rated it really liked it
IDW has been doing a great job recreating cartoon favorites and 'Powerpuff Girls Vol. 1' might be their best so far. My review copy only had the first 3 issues, but the full graphic novel has all 5 first issues of the comic. Some familiarity with the show is probably in order because the story features villains acting different than they do on the show.

Mojo Jojo has decided to call it quits when he is defeated one too many times. He wants Professor Utonium to dose him with Chemical X, the same t
Celine
Feb 09, 2014 Celine rated it really liked it
Summary: What's this, super evil villain Mojo Jojo is giving up? Will his crisis last? And what is he doing? Will the Powerpuff Girls be able to outsmart the big bad guys and save Townsville?

What I liked:
- The comic is done in exactly the same style as the cartoon on Cartoon Network, which is awesome. The drawings are simple and effective and the colours of the girls look beautiful
- I was totally hearing the voices from the TV series when reading this! I might have read them out loud like that t
Skyler
Feb 26, 2014 Skyler rated it really liked it
*I received a free e-copy of this book from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Ah, the City of Townsville. Brings back memories from a childhood in the 90's, doesn't it? In this edition of the Powerpuff Girls Volume 1 by Troy Little, our girls are in for a big surprise! Mojo Jojo finally admits defeat? And what is this about the villains doing good deeds for others? Have they really changed for the better? Or are our little heroes in for a rude awakening in volume 2? An
Marjolein
Feb 14, 2014 Marjolein rated it really liked it
Read all my reviews on urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

I received an ARC via Netgalley from IDW Publishing in exchange for an honest review.

I saw the Powerpuff Girls a few times on my dashboard today, and it brought back a lot of memories. I LOVED the Powerpuff Girls when I was a kid, to the level that I collected everything that had to do with them (They used to have a lot of school stuff etc), held an exhibition on the Powerpuff Girls (showing off all cool things I collected) and wrote at least
Krutula
Aug 27, 2016 Krutula rated it really liked it
Ah, this is nostalgic. I remember watching Powerpuff Girls as a kid and being absolutely obsessed with the show - I watched every episode multiple time, and would hum it's theme song throughout the day even though I didn't know the proper lyrics at that time. So, when I saw it up on NetGalley, I had to obviously check out the comic!

If you consider the artistic quality of the graphic novel, it doesn't waver from the TV show - which was a relief. Quite often it happens in manga that there are not
Ivy
Mar 03, 2014 Ivy rated it liked it
Visit my blog for more rambles from me

I received this as an ARC from NetGalley. I thought it would be fun to read the Powerpuff Girls comics when I was going through the comics section.

(Then I realized what a pain it was to actually get it. I had downloaded the ASCM file. It was obviously not readable to any eBook app. I had to go through Aldiko, signed up for an Adobe account then downloaded it. It had horrible zooming too so it ruined the quality of the comic. Or maybe it was in low-res anyway
Cari
Jul 09, 2014 Cari rated it really liked it
A welcome piece of nostalgia for anyone who watched the original run of The Powerpuff Girls in the early 2000s. The girls translate beautifully into the comic format with pitch-perfect dialogue, beautiful full color illustrations and silly story lines. This ARC contained three "episodes", increasing in value from first to last.

The girls battling a golf course monster? Most of the jokes were beyond me and felt a little forced.

Mojo Jojo reverting back to an adorable lab monkey? Sweet but the pri
Lu (Sugar & Snark)
Mar 08, 2014 Lu (Sugar & Snark) rated it really liked it
Shelves: new-netgalley
I am a big fan of Powerpuff Girls, so I jumped at the chance to review this comic. I was not disappointed! The comic mimics the TV show and the girls personalities to a T. In this volume the girls are faced with a different situation than what they are used to. The villains of Townsville have decided to turn good, but this is something that doesn’t sit well with Buttercup. Then there is Mojo Jojo that has decided that he wants to cure his super-villain brain, and thus he is turned back into the ...more
Morgan
Jun 04, 2014 Morgan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
A quick, light, and fun read if you want to go back down memory lane. I like this series better then when DC Comics was publishing a Powerpuff Girls comic. I mean I like both comic because it the Powerpuff Girls, but this one far better if you want an actual story. I like the art in this one too. It's ore colorful and reminds me of the later seasons of the show.

I like the reference they made with Bubbles hair turning to a drumstick in one of the first cartoons. I also liked the fact the writing
Suz
My students who enjoy reading BabyMouse also like the colorful adventures of the Powerpuff Girls. In this volume they face off against Mojo Jojo, a nasty swamp creature, Ace and the Gangreen Gang, Fuzzy Lumpkins and other foes. It's impressive that they can manage all that and still not miss bedtime. I think the author must enjoy sci-fi/fantasy movies because I noticed lines from Star Wars and Star Trek in the story.

Having small female characters who are able to defeat much larger villains is e
Sherry
Mar 04, 2016 Sherry rated it liked it
I received a copy of this book for free through NetGalley in return for my honest opinion.

I loved the Powerpuff Girls show when it was on. More recently my children (6 year old daughter and 4 year old son) discovered it on Netflix and have been enjoying the show. When they saw this book while I was browsing NetGalley they insisted I get it. After downloading the book we got right down to reading it. The kids made it almost to the end of the first "episode" before declaring themselves bored and m
Ro
Mar 21, 2014 Ro rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
A big thanks to Netgalley for providing me with a copy of this book!

*rating clarification: 3.5 stars*

The Powepuff Girls are back! I didn't know how much I missed them until I started reading this book. Suddenly I was back to my childhood days when I would watch them on TV and play the Gameboy game whenever I had a free minute to spare.

Reading this was like stepping back onto a bicycle after having not ridden one in a while, and suddenly being able to peddle fast and steer with no hands. The voic
Alaina
Feb 07, 2014 Alaina rated it really liked it
I recently saw the new Powerpuff Girls special on Cartoon Network and was excited to see the comic on NetGalley. It had that nostalgia factor from the cartoon and got the voice of characters right, from Bubble's upbeat sugar, Buttercup's sassy spice, and Blossom's optimistic everything nice.

Mojo Jojo reforms, wanting to be good and to get rid of the intelligence that plagues him. This act causes all of Townsville to change, the villains suddenly doing good deeds alongside of the girls! It's def
Katbyrdie
I don't know if I got to read all of it! My netgalley download only had 66 pages, but goodreads says it has over 100. It ended with a "to be continued" and I want it to continue!! I love the Powerpuff Girls! Little can't leave me hanging like that! Will Mojo Jojo get his Mojo back? (and how cute of a baby monkey does he make?!!!) What about HIM? What will he do? I NEED TO KNOW. Obviously, I enjoyed this. It was fun and read just like an episode. Fun, silly, and action-packed. Can't wait to read ...more
Dawn
Sep 01, 2016 Dawn rated it really liked it
Anyone who loved the cartoon will love the comics - all the recognizable characters and settings, even the tone of the narrative and dialogue. The plot of this collection of the first few issues of the comic involves the villains of Townsville turning themselves around and being nice. It's a pretty straightforward story, but an enjoyable one.These comics have the feel of the cartoon, right down to each starting with "The city of Townsville." It's all very cute.
Jenni
A great trip down the memory line since I used to watch Power puff girls on cartoon network when I was little. So I think it was awesome to see the villain, the girls and the professor once again. I can't wait to see what happened since it says to be continued at the end? That plant guy was plotting something against the girls and with Mojo Jojo reformed and all the villains turned good what kind of plan is he plotting?
Jade - Louise
Mar 07, 2014 Jade - Louise rated it it was ok
I received this book from Netgallery in exchange for an honest review

Just a small review.

I was slightly disappointed in this. Considering it's supposed to be Volume 1 i was kind of expecting a little more than 66 pages. Don't get me wrong i kind of enjoyed what there was but there wasn't enough.
Kacy
Apr 01, 2014 Kacy rated it really liked it
The Powerpuff Girls tv show was one of my favorites when I was in high school, perhaps a little older than the original target demographic, but it always had major crossover appeal. Reading this felt exactly like watching the show in the best way possible. I would highly recommend it as both a librarian and a fan.
« previous 1 3 next »

Powerpuff Girls Vol. 2 (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The Powerpuff Girls #1 (Powerpuff Girls Vol. 2, #1)
  • The Powerpuff Girls #2 (Powerpuff Girls Vol. 2, #2)
  • The Powerpuff Girls #3 (Powerpuff Girls Vol. 2, #3)
  • The Powerpuff Girls #4 (Powerpuff Girls Vol. 2, #4)
  • The Powerpuff Girls #5
  • The Powerpuff Girls #6 (Powerpuff Girls Vol. 2 #6)
  • The Powerpuff Girls #7 (Powerpuff Girls Vol. 2 #7)
  • The Powerpuff Girls #8 (Powerpuff Girls Vol. 2 #8)
  • The Powerpuff Girls #9