Start by marking “Witness: For the Prosecution of Scott Peterson” as Want to Read:
Witness: For the Prosecution of Scott Peterson

Witness: For the Prosecution of Scott Peterson

3.48  ·  Rating Details ·  1,286 Ratings  ·  91 Reviews
1 corinthians 10:13, niv
"No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; He will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, He will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it."Amber Frey's life was full of blessings: an exciting new business, a beautiful home, and most of all, her infant daughter
Published January 31st 2006 by Avon (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Witness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Witness

Keith
Apr 10, 2013 Keith rated it did not like it
I found the first couple of chapters of this book to be very interesting -- she describes the circumstances of how they met and I got some insight into the mind of Peterson. After she discovers his string of lies, the book went downhill and in a big hurry. I applaud anyone who writes their own book but it is riddled with grade-school caliber lines (“I think I fell asleep before my head hit the pillow,” “I kept thinking this was a bad dream and I would wake up at any second”). She filled LOTS of ...more
Louise
Apr 10, 2009 Louise rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
The Scott Peterson ordeal in Modesto, California in 2002, was truly horrible and harrowing for everyone involved, especially the family of Laci Peterson (Rocha)and her unborn son Conner. This true story became National Head Lining News around the world.

However, Amber Frey was an innocent victim, tied up in Scott Peterson's sociopathic world and his pathological lying. My heart went out to Amber as much as it did to the family of Laci.

Amber Frey, a Registered Massage Therapist in her 20's and a
Aug 04, 2014 Jennifer rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I remember this case when it first happened, though I had forgotten how long ago it really was. December of 2002 I was engaged - actually I got engaged on the same day Laci disappeared, and was married by the time the trial ended. I remember watching the news, hearing pieces of the story, waiting for the verdict.

The book was a quick and easy read. I found myself very interested in it because even years later I'm still mesmerized by this very sad case. I enjoyed when the book revealed details th
Tahmina
Dec 17, 2014 Tahmina rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Witness is the book about Amber Frey and the role she had to play in the Scott Peterson case. Scott Peterson was a man who killed his wife and unborn child and was later on caught by the authorities. This book is not well written and most of the content is about her life and childhood. When we get to the part about Scott Peterson and his case, the details are mostly from the transcripts in the case. There is some details that she has written but I am pretty sure you could find that somewhere bes ...more
Trista
Feb 10, 2008 Trista rated it it was ok
This book was one of those books that you start and feel you need to read through to the end even though the writing is extremely lacking and the writer tries to paint herself in a heroic light. I felt as though Amber's actions spoke louder than her words and she really tried to paint herself the victim here and as "Laci's voice". The problem is that Laci didn't have a voice, certainly not Amber Frey.
Nini
Jul 15, 2009 Nini rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A quick, simplistic read; I wanted to see what she had to say. I give her a lot more credit for her courage in coming forward now that I've read her account.
Tom Schulte
A short, easy read detailing Frey's involvement with Scott Peterson from meeting him to media circus to the trial to his conviction and sentencing. The transcripts of conversation with a mendacious Peterson may be the most interesting thing here, on the case. The rest if the difficulty one would expect when it starts to dawn on Amber that her lover is not only married, but a liar, and a murderer. Through this she has inordinate press attention to deal with and another, follow-up non-ideal relati ...more
Ani Anderson
Jan 11, 2017 Ani Anderson rated it really liked it
This book explains it all... I thought this book put everything in perspective as to what happened and how Scott Peterson was finally convicted.
London Lunoux
Oct 15, 2016 London Lunoux rated it liked it
Its interesting to hear the details and the story from Ambers side. Not the most interesting book about this crime but not boring at all. It did seem a tad self congratulatory but she seems genuine otherwise.
 PuMbA's MoMmy*•.♥.•*
A few things were frustrating about this book. One of the things that I think I was the most frustrating with was Amber’s strong need to feel loved that it blinded her completely. I understand love blinds some people, but I am not so sure if love is what blinded her (If she even loved Scott), or if she just made dumb decisions. There were many signs that she clearly states in the book that were red flags about him being a cheating man. (I am not saying she should have seen he was a killer, but a ...more
Raymond
The story concerns Scott Peterson, who while planning to murder his wife, meets and romances an incredibly naïve young woman with a child (the author) and manages to fool her into believing that he was unmarried and open to a serious relationship.

Eventually, she learns the truth and helps the police by taping phone conversations she has with him during the investigation of his wife’s disappearance.

Some interesting things about Amber Frey.

Before she meets Scott Peterson, she has been pregnant, tw
Laurel-Rain
Oct 17, 2008 Laurel-Rain rated it liked it
Witness for the Prosecution of Scott Peterson is a tale from one woman's perspective, that lends more clues into the psyche of a killer, from the viewpoint of his mistress, Amber Frey.

She describes how she met him (a blind date), a little of her life and childhood difficulties -- a custody battle between her parents -- and how she was raising a child alone when she met Scott.

She appears naive and trusting, despite references to the many hurts in her life (which would normally render her unable
Heather Wilson
May 02, 2016 Heather Wilson rated it liked it
james
Sep 23, 2007 james rated it liked it
i don't even know where to begin with this book. scott peterson was OUT OF HIS MIND. how on earth you could murder your pregnant wife is beyond me. his betrayal of laci and the LIES he surrounded amber frey with were mind-boggling. my heart went out to amber (and of course, laci and all who loved her). amber seemed like a sweet kid who already had gone through some of her own lifes struggles, and then she meets this sociopath. the conversations she taped for the police, and the extent to which h ...more
Dannette Lawrence
Apr 11, 2016 Dannette Lawrence rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2016
This book might have been interesting and as enjoyable a book with this subject matter can be if someone with actual talent wrote it.

I understand wanting to get your side of the story out there but half this book is in quotes taken from the case, interviews, etc and the other half is bible quotes she felt were relatable.

On top of that Amber comes off very self-important in this book. Don't believe me? Just read her tell us how many people complimented her, how brave they thought she was and ho
Dayna
Oct 28, 2007 Dayna rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: only people very interested in the Scott Peterson case
This was poorly written, and rushed to print, obviously. It doesn't really contain any new information in the case and does not feel like an honest account from Amber's perspective. I feel like I'm reading a very censored version of her words. A lot of the book is actually the transcripts of her taped conversations with Scott, which I had already read online anyhow.

Considering Amber's background and life situation when she met Scott, I really respect her decision to contact the police as soon as
Paola (ElvenBookworm)
If I had to pick a word to describe this book, I would say it was simply "okay". It was not good but it wasn't bad either. I was very interested in reading about this case from Amber's point of view, but often times, I felt that the writing in this novel was weak. However, I do not necessarily fault Amber Frey for that (she is a massage therapist, not a professional writer). I also got a bit annoyed at parts where she depicted herself as this larger than life hero, although her courage is someth ...more
LauraTrev1
Oct 24, 2014 LauraTrev1 rated it liked it
This was a very fast but good read. I did find it a bit repetitive. Although it is a book by Amber Frey, it is supposed to be about the Laci Peterson murder, which it was, but I also felt it was more of a memoir, than a true crime book as it is said to be. I think the author added a big part of her story that wasn't needed in order to make the book longer. In no way am I saying it is a bad book, because it is very good, as Amber is a very strong, beautiful woman. I just think this book could hav ...more
Vic
Dec 01, 2011 Vic rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is an interesting book even though it is poorly written. Amber Frey has her say in this book about what really took place between her and Scott Peterson. I would not call her a hero but she definitely did the right thing by helping law enforcement. Scott Peterson may have gotten away with killing his wife Laci Peterson and their unborn child Conner if she hadn't. Amber Frey clearly had personal issues that should not have been included in this book, I think the editors could have done a muc ...more
Kristen
Aug 24, 2012 Kristen rated it it was amazing
I was totally obsessed with this story. Handsome man, pretty popular pregnant wife. I found it so hard to comprehend why someone would kill their wife and unborn child. It was so disturbing to see him on t.v. and then to know behind the scenes he was leading this other life. I probably read it from front to back without stopping. It's so scary how a monster can be right there and you not even know it. I wonder what Lacy thought when she found out she married a monster? Is that why he killed her? ...more
Rona
Aug 02, 2012 Rona rated it liked it
I just finished reading 'Witness' by Amber Frye. I have to say that I first picked up the book completely out of curiosity. I then found myself judging this woman for the many mistakes she made with men. Then I read her comments regarding Sarah. I really felt bad that I was judging her. Like who doesn't have skeletons in their closet. She definitely doesn't hold anything back.

Anyways, it was a nice read. I even learned something about myself and my faith.
Jazmin
Mar 28, 2012 Jazmin rated it liked it
This book gave us all the other side of the story and it helped me understand how guilty scott really was and how he plan it out. It's so sad to know that even after Laci's disappearance he kept in contact with Amber and tries to pull it off without any remorse. I really enjoyed this book and I'm happy that Amber was able to help solve the case. I really recommend reading Amber's side of the story.
Carissa Vera
Oct 12, 2014 Carissa Vera rated it really liked it
This book was an easy read and pretty interesting to look into the deception of Scott Peterson. It really puts into perspective the mind of a psychopath. Laci Peterson was violently murdered and her poor baby never had a chance to breathe life in this world. Truly a tragic story. But I'm so happy to see Ambers story and I feel all women should read to protect themselves from low life men like Scott Peterson.
Chicken Little
Aug 13, 2012 Chicken Little rated it really liked it
I feel Amber Frey had no fault whatsoever in the tragic death of Laci P. She was told by that douchebag that he was unmarried, so she was just exploring the possibilities of a story with him. He fell hard for her and concocted the murder of his pregnant wife, when he should have divorced her instead. Amber acted with much courage and immediately denounced him when she found out that his wife was missing.

I hope she made good money for herself and her child with the royalties from this book.
Terri Graham
Feb 24, 2015 Terri Graham rated it really liked it
When I began reading this book, I recalled the tragic true story. At the time I thought Amber Frey had something to do with the crime and was covering for Scott Peterson. After reading this well written book, I now know that she was a victim. The story was surprisingly refreshing as it could be with the subject. Amber made this story about Lucie and Connor. It was never about Amber, fame, or fortune. Very well written.
Mary
Mar 06, 2011 Mary rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book very much. I was glad to see that there are still good young people in this world. I am sure Amber knew what kind of fallout there would be when she first came forward saying that she had an affair with Scott Peterson. She didn't care, all she was concerned about was Laci and her unborn baby. She is an amazing you woman.
Gmaeffie
Nov 11, 2007 Gmaeffie rated it liked it
This book was interesting because it was a first hand account of Amber Frey's involvement with a man suspected of and later convicted of the murder of his wife and unborn baby. Ms. Frey, however, is not a professional writer. If you like true accounts and don't mind somewhat poorly written material, then this book is fine. If amateurish material grates on your nerves, pass this one up.
Marianne Jay
Mar 24, 2009 Marianne Jay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a true crime nut, so in my opinion this book was really good. It lets you know the true nuts and bolts about what role Amber Frey played in the Scott Peterson case.

Amber Frey tells her story openly and frankly. She holds nothing back. I highly recommend this book for any person interested in this case or crime drama.
Sue Krawitz
Nov 20, 2015 Sue Krawitz rated it really liked it
I followed the story of Laci Peterson so I had to read this book. It was ok, felt like maybe a ghost writer wrote it and it didn't give much more information that was learned in the media. But it was Amber's account of what happened during her time with Scott Peterson, convicted murderer of his wife Laci.
Marci
Jan 02, 2009 Marci rated it it was ok
Like many other people I was horrified by the Peterson story. I read this book with a paper bag covering, I didn't want to ruin my reputation...Not exactly high minded literature The book had a self serving bent. Can I defend myself by saying I didn't buy it just borrowed????
  • Blood Brother: 33 Reasons My Brother Scott Peterson Is Guilty
  • A Deadly Game: The Untold Story of the Scott Peterson Investigation
  • Captive: The Untold Story of the Atlanta Hostage Hero
  • For Laci: A Mother's Story of Love, Loss, and Justice
  • We, the Jury: Deciding the Scott Peterson Case
  • Tears of Rage: From Grieving Father to Crusader for Justice: The Untold Story of the Adam Walsh Case
  • Mommy's Little Girl
  • Murder by Family: The Incredible True Story of a Son's Treachery & a Father's Forgiveness
  • Della's Web: The Many Husbands of a Suburban Black Widow
  • Loving Natalee: A Mother's Testament of Hope and Faith
  • Laci: Inside the Laci Peterson Murder
  • The Death of Innocence
  • Perfect Murder, Perfect Town: The Uncensored Story of the JonBenet Murder and the Grand Jury's Search for the Truth
  • Inside the Mind of Scott Peterson